Thread: Utah Utes 2017 football pre-season

Hybrid View

Utah Utes 2017 pre-season

I haven't listened yet, but 41 minutes of talking offense with Coach Taylor has to be a good thing, right?

https://espn700sports.com/interviews...inator-6-2-17/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look forward to seeing how good CJ really is. It's not easy for a high school kicker to get a scholarship.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I haven't listened yet, but 41 minutes of talking offense with Coach Taylor has to be a good thing, right?

https://espn700sports.com/interviews...inator-6-2-17/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's a great interview and well worth a listen. The headline, "Troy Taylor Is In Complete Control," is true to the content. This is going to be fascinating to watch as the season unfolds -- especially in the closing minutes of close games.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    especially in the closing minutes of close games.
    I didn't listen. Can you explain?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I didn't listen. Can you explain?
    Well, in brief, what stood out to me were these parts of the interview:

The guy clearly has a well-developed offensive philosophy. He talked about all the studying he's done a football offenses, went down a list of various approaches used by the various grades, many of whom he learned from, and generally he sounds like an offensive"mind," if you will forgive me for using such a trite term. That is something new during the Whittingham era. He said that watching Urban Meyer's offense at Utah was a turning point in his own offensive philosophy. He went to Las Vegas and spent a few days with Mike Sanford just to learn as much as he could about that offense.

He also emphasize that the number one condition to his taking the job at Utah was to have total control over the offense. I just wonder what that will mean. I hope he gets it, and I wonder if he will have it during the closing moments of close games. We have heard all along that Kyle has not interfered in the offense, except at crucial game moments, especially when the Utes are trying to hang onto a small lead at the end of a game. I am not enough of a football mind myself to really have much of an opinion about that, but it will be interesting to watch.

He builds his offense around the quarterback, and considers the quarterback the most important player on the team, recognizing that the QB cannot succeed without good receivers and a good line. His offense is designed to be flexible enough to adapt to the skills of the best quarterback available. But we have known that about him for a while. What interested me the most was the apparent depth of his thinking about offense, and his desire to have total control, along with Kyle's commitment to give that to him.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Well, in brief, what stood out to me were these parts of the interview:

The guy clearly has a well-developed offensive philosophy. He talked about all the studying he's done a football offenses, went down a list of various approaches used by the various grades, many of whom he learned from, and generally he sounds like an offensive"mind," if you will forgive me for using such a trite term. That is something new during the Whittingham era. He said that watching Urban Meyer's offense at Utah was a turning point in his own offensive philosophy. He went to Las Vegas and spent a few days with Mike Sanford just to learn as much as he could about that offense.

He also emphasize that the number one condition to his taking the job at Utah was to have total control over the offense. I just wonder what that will mean. I hope he gets it, and I wonder if he will have it during the closing moments of close games. We have heard all along that Kyle has not interfered in the offense, except at crucial game moments, especially when the Utes are trying to hang onto a small lead at the end of a game. I am not enough of a football mind myself to really have much of an opinion about that, but it will be interesting to watch.

He builds his offense around the quarterback, and considers the quarterback the most important player on the team, recognizing that the QB cannot succeed without good receivers and a good line. His offense is designed to be flexible enough to adapt to the skills of the best quarterback available. But we have known that about him for a while. What interested me the most was the apparent depth of his thinking about offense, and his desire to have total control, along with Kyle's commitment to give that to him.
    did he say whether he thinks he has the personnel to implement his offense now, or whether it will take a couple of recruiting classes?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    did he say whether he thinks he has the personnel to implement his offense now, or whether it will take a couple of recruiting classes?
    he said that they do, but really, what else is he going to say. He did say that the offense is most different for the WRs because they have route options/adjustments based on coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    he said that they do, but really, what else is he going to say. He did say that the offense is most different for the WRs because they have route options/adjustments based on coverage.
    Lots of new coaches cover their rear ends/hedge their bets/lower fan expectations/take pressure off the players by saying it is going to take a while to fully implement their offense/defense. Just wondering if he said anything like that.

We have heard all along that Kyle has not interfered in the offense, except at crucial game moments
    Thanks. We have heard this a lot, primarily from fans. Thing is, we have a very good record in close games. Kyle generally makes good decisions in these situations.

Taylor sounds confident. I assume he's smart enough to listen to the wealth of experience available to him on this coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Thanks. We have heard this a lot, primarily from fans. Thing is, we have a very good record in close games. Kyle generally makes good decisions in these situations.
    I have moved beyond criticizing Kyle's game management. You are right, I think he wins 2/3 of games decided by a touchdown or less. I think it is undisputed that during crunch time in close games, he makes all the key decisions. Nothing wrong with that. I am sure a lot of head coaches do the same thing. Every time Utah has the ball and the lead with a couple of minutes to go, the offense is very conservative. That is to avoid picks and other mistakes that might cost the team the game. Makes total sense. I personally don't like it when that results in us giving the ball back to the other team and thus a chance to win in the final minute or two. (BYU 2016, for example.) But I can't argue with the overall results.

All I was talking about was the idea that Taylor would have total control of the offense. I just wonder if that total control extends to crunch time. If it does, it will be a departure from past practice. I don't care what Kyle decides, it will just be interesting to watch.

--Yeats

All I was talking about was the idea that Taylor would have total control of the offense. I just wonder if that total control extends to crunch time. If it does, it will be a departure from past practice. I don't care what Kyle decides, it will just be interesting to watch.
    There was one part of the interview where the total control question was asked a little differently. Taylor was asked who would have the final say on who the starting QB would be. Taylor said Whit would have the final say, but that he believed his opinion would be highly valued. What does this mean? When Terrance Cain was a junior and Wynn a true freshmen, the offensive coaches wanted to go with Wynn and were overruled. Whit also made the decision to replace Cain with Wynn at halftime of the Wyoming game and again the following year at halftime of the BYU game. Wynn came back in after Cain threw picks on his first two series. So, total control is a relative thing.