Thread: If a Tree Falls in Rice Eccles Stadium - Utah vs. Stanford 10/7/17

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I hope I am not coming the two against different levels of competition. It just seems their mechanics are different. Example--the sideline throw to Carrington or a rb a yard or two behind the line. Huntley gets the ball out there more quickly than Troy, and the d has less time to react. I think that is tyrue on most throws. It takes Troy longer.

And as Sancho noted, Huntley is much more accurate throwing on the run, and seemingly better at finding receivers downfield as he runs. FWIW.
    Huntley gets it off quicker. Williams also takes off from the pocket quicker instead of staying in the pocket and delivering. And then he ALWAYS rolls right. And he can't run half as well as Huntley. He holds the ball a second or two too long before he delivers. And the defense doesn't respect his ability to keep the ball on the spread option.

And does anybody know why we were so much quicker calling plays with Huntley than Williams? Was that because we were playing Stanford or because we had to slow down for Williams?

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    And does anybody know why we were so much quicker calling plays with Huntley than Williams? Was that because we were playing Stanford or because we had to slow down for Williams?
    I suspect that we slowed the offense down in the 3rd quarter because we wanted to give our defense time to recuperate. If you are going 3-and-out, you can't hurry up the offense.

I haven't heard anyone official say that, though.

It it looked like we struggled getting the right personnel groups on the field and we kept moving the trips from left to right and it takes time. When the offense is rolling it is easy to call plays. When it isn't, you take a few seconds longer. Players are standing waiting and then have to move to formation. WR's need to be set.

Huntley gets it off quicker. Williams also takes off from the pocket quicker instead of staying in the pocket and delivering. And then he ALWAYS rolls right. And he can't run half as well as Huntley. He holds the ball a second or two too long before he delivers. And the defense doesn't respect his ability to keep the ball on the spread option.

This is along the lines of what I was wondering. Even after the bye week to prepare, Williams might not have the green-light with the entire playbook. They definitely seemed to be running a stripped-down version of the playbook, but - again - that might be a factor of the competition more than a feature of the QB.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.