Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kyle Whittingham Thread

Per Matthew Piper $2.6 Million with a $100,000 automatic increase each season through the end of the deal which is 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Per this tweet from athletics Kyle has agreed to a new 4 year contract

https://twitter.com/utahathletics/st...22964903858176
    Wait. I thought he was going to BYU...?

I'm so confused now.

I assume this means we can move forward on getting the other positions sewn up now.
    Last edited by U-Ute; 01-16-2015 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Wait. I thought he was going to BYU...?

I'm so confused now.

I assume this means we can move forward on getting the other positions sewn up now.
    Yup.

Kyle just tweeted "As always, it's great day to be a Ute #GoUtes"

Nuff said

Yup.

Nuff said
    I wouldn't be surprised if they're all but signed and we'll hear about others before 5pm tonight as they get them signed.

Yup.

Nuff said
    I would assume this would not get signed unless CH and KW had a pretty clear idea as to staffing.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I would assume this would not get signed unless CH and KW had a pretty clear idea as to staffing.

I am not sure that is true. In one of the recent interviews, CH said that KW is allotted a certain amount of money for staff and that it is up to him how that money is divided. I would hope that there was an increase in the amount payable to staff at least commensurate to what KW is receiving. If you add up the numbers from the last contracts, they totaled a little less than the 2.2 paid to KW.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I am not sure that is true. In one of the recent interviews, CH said that KW is allotted a certain amount of money for staff and that it is up to him how that money is divided. I would hope that there was an increase in the amount payable to staff at least commensurate to what KW is receiving. If you add up the numbers from the last contracts, they totaled a little less than the 2.2 paid to KW.
    I know what you mean, but given our history at OC and the PR mess of it, I would think Hill would want some idea of how Kyle would go. Maybe not one name, but possibly the short list.

OK, that's over. Go Kyle. Just get the offense figured out and show that you are not bull-headed about its importance. Then we should be in fine shape going forward.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    OK, that's over. Go Kyle. Just get the offense figured out and show that you are not bull-headed about its importance. Then we should be in fine shape going forward.
    Stop. Kyle has never felt that offense is not important. He's been trying to improve the offense from day one. If anything, he's scrambled too much.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Stop. Kyle has never felt that offense is not important. He's been trying to improve the offense from day one. If anything, he's scrambled too much.
    Evrything I have seen, heard and read (including here, from smart, connected people) tells me KW, in his heart of hearts, doesn't believe offense is as important as defense and special teams. If I'm wrong I'll be happy.

What I'm really trying to say is that I hope Kyle can maintain his historical level of excellence in defense and special teams while finding a way to have an offense that is consistently above average. It can be a C+ offense and we'll do well. That's not asking too much, is it?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Evrything I have seen, heard and read (including here, from smart, connected people) tells me KW, in his heart of hearts, doesn't believe offense is as important as defense and special teams. If I'm wrong I'll be happy.

What I'm really trying to say is that I hope Kyle can maintain his historical level of excellence in defense and special teams while finding a way to have an offense that is consistently above average. It can be a C+ offense and we'll do well. That's not asking too much, is it?
    I tend to agree, based mostly on what I see on the field. But clearly KW is concerned, otherwise we would not have the parade of coaches for OC. My limited and ignorant view is that KW has done a poor job of understanding what is required and hiring to plug that gap. So while he may understand its importance, he judgement about hires has been terrible. Part of the problem here is that KW is a hard core trust-loyalty guy, which means it is highly unlikely that he will hire someone from outside of his larger and known circle, even if someone's OC credentials are impeccable. We all have a management style, so KW is simply showing us his.

So I am quite curious to see who he brings in. He says he wants to hang with a spread offense, yet he has hired a number of guys who were known for pro style. The hire of BJ was noble, but flawed. KW needs to get this right.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahFanSir View Post
    I tend to agree, based mostly on what I see on the field. But clearly KW is concerned, otherwise we would not have the parade of coaches for OC. My limited and ignorant view is that KW has done a poor job of understanding what is required and hiring to plug that gap. So while he may understand its importance, he judgement about hires has been terrible. Part of the problem here is that KW is a hard core trust-loyalty guy, which means it is highly unlikely that he will hire someone from outside of his larger and known circle, even if someone's OC credentials are impeccable. We all have a management style, so KW is simply showing us his.

So I am quite curious to see who he brings in. He says he wants to hang with a spread offense, yet he has hired a number of guys who were known for pro style. The hire of BJ was noble, but flawed. KW needs to get this right.
    Excellent points. I agree with all of them.

--Yeats

I've kind of accepted the fact that our offense is going to suck as long as Whittingham is in charge. It doesn't matter who the OC is, Whittingham will make sure the offense is ultra conservative and designed with eating clock and not turning the ball over both being higher priorities than actually scoring points.

So with that in mind, I just hope the new coordinators and position coaches are strong recruiters. I don't care what style they run, I just want them to have really strong ties to the best recruiting areas, and enough game to land the best of them.

So, maybe go after an Oregon receiver's coach and an Alabama D line coach. I'd be happy with hires of that caliber.

It occurs to me that many of us here (including me) were exasperated over the apparent inability of Hill and Whit to work out a compromise. Turns out that's just what they did. They just needed time. There sure was a boatload of mischief spewed out over the whole process in the meantime.

http://lighttheu.com/2015/01/whittin...aching-search/

--Yeats

It occurs to me that many of us here (including me) were exasperated over the apparent inability of Hill and Whit to work out a compromise. Turns out that's just what they did. They just needed time. There sure was a boatload of mischief spewed out over the whole process in the meantime.

http://lighttheu.com/2015/01/whittin...aching-search/
    You've fairly earned your rep as being a bit of a Hill sycophant, but all of this mischief had origins from Kyle's side of the fence.

I think to say all both needed was time is a bit disingenuous. Compromise? We were worried we were going to lose Kyle.

Good for Hill for doing what he had to do to keep Kyle, but I've lost a little respect for how Kyle handled all of this. When you add it all up, we still finished 6th in a 12-team league. And I think Kyle carries a significant share of blame for that standing not being 2-3 spots higher. It reminds me of how Mac bounced back from 2000's 4-7 by going 8-4 in 2001. We very easily could have won 11 that year (three losses by 7 points). What happens if we go 5-7 next year? Will Kyle walk in and demand a pay cut?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    You've fairly earned your rep as being a bit of a Hill sycophant, but all of this mischief had origins from Kyle's side of the fence.
    I have known the guy for 30 years and he's a friend. To equate loyalty to a friend with being a sycophant ("a person who praises powerful people in order to get their approval") is a bit over the top, don't you think? Anyway, after all this time I have a pretty good sense of what the good Dr. Hill will do or say about certain subjects, and absolutely none of the speculative drivel that was being spread about his views, tendencies or intentions rang true to me. I think that viewpoint is worth something to those who are honestly trying to evaluate what's going on. Just take my views for what they are worth in light of my full disclosure of my bias.

I think to say all both needed was time is a bit disingenuous.
    Maybe wrong but not disingenuous. But time was what it took, wasn't it?

Compromise? We were worried we were going to lose Kyle.
    Based on what reliable information?
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-17-2015 at 10:43 PM.

--Yeats

Compromise? We were worried we were going to lose Kyle.

Good for Hill for doing what he had to do to keep Kyle, but I've lost a little respect for how Kyle handled all of this. When you add it all up, we still finished 6th in a 12-team league. And I think Kyle carries a significant share of blame for that standing not being 2-3 spots higher. It reminds me of how Mac bounced back from 2000's 4-7 by going 8-4 in 2001. We very easily could have won 11 that year (three losses by 7 points). What happens if we go 5-7 next year? Will Kyle walk in and demand a pay cut?
    SoCal, I am a little confused by this post. You indicate that you were worried about losing Kyle and good for Hill for doing what needed to be done to keep him. Later you seem to suggest that extending Kyle was wrong because he could easily go 5-7 next year.

I think it was a compromise. I have it on fairly good authority that Kyle wanted 5 years at 3 million a year and a base guarantee of 1 mil per year and that Hill wanted to do nothing and leave the 3 years with a $750 guarantee in place. We don't know what the base is, but he ended up with 4 years and an escalating deal starting at 2.6.

I would like to know what Hill and Kyle learned from this. I hope Hill learned that there are some good coaches out there who would be interested in the job when it becomes available. I know Kyle learned that Michigan had no interest. I'm not sure what else he learned.

I am still of the opinion that Kyle needs to win next year or Hill should likely look in another direction. 2015 sets up as a year for success with 7 home games and a returning team with a lot of experience. We were a couple plays away from an 11 win season. We were also a couple plays away from a 5-7 season with no bowl game. The margin between winning and losing will continue to be close and IMO because we do not have players across the board like USC or Oregon it will be coaching that determines whether we win or lose. The PAC 12 south is a bitch and will likely be picked to finish 5th again. That's okay. I think we will be competitive enough to finish anywhere from 1st to 5th.

There is a quote that goes something like, "You can never know what is really going on between two people, even if one of the two is yourself." In that light, I find it interesting that so many people are sure that they know what is going on between Hill and Whittingham based on sources close or not so close to the situation. History, and a little experience, tells me that things are rarely as they seem. So often people are convinced that a certain scenario is what is happening only to find out later that they had completely the wrong idea.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

I have known the guy for 30 years and he's a friend. To equate loyalty to a friend with being a sycophant ("a person who praises powerful people in order to get their approval") is a bit over the top, don't you think? Anyway, after all this time I have a pretty good sense of what the good Dr. Hill will do or say about certain subjects, and absolutely none of the speculative drivel that was being spread about his views, tendencies or intentions rang true to me. I think that viewpoint is worth something to those who are honestly trying to evaluate what's going on. Just take my views for what they are worth in light of my full disclosure of my bias.

Maybe wrong but not disingenuous. But time was what it took, wasn't it?

Based on what reliable information?
    Use of the term sycophant is harsh and unnecessary. I was merely using a term I think people use when they are confusing your friendship with Hill as implicit approval and/or justification on your end of everything he does.
    Last edited by SoCalPat; 01-18-2015 at 11:40 AM.

SoCal, I am a little confused by this post. You indicate that you were worried about losing Kyle and good for Hill for doing what needed to be done to keep him. Later you seem to suggest that extending Kyle was wrong because he could easily go 5-7 next year.

I think it was a compromise. I have it on fairly good authority that Kyle wanted 5 years at 3 million a year and a base guarantee of 1 mil per year and that Hill wanted to do nothing and leave the 3 years with a $750 guarantee in place. We don't know what the base is, but he ended up with 4 years and an escalating deal starting at 2.6.

I would like to know what Hill and Kyle learned from this. I hope Hill learned that there are some good coaches out there who would be interested in the job when it becomes available. I know Kyle learned that Michigan had no interest. I'm not sure what else he learned.

I am still of the opinion that Kyle needs to win next year or Hill should likely look in another direction. 2015 sets up as a year for success with 7 home games and a returning team with a lot of experience. We were a couple plays away from an 11 win season. We were also a couple plays away from a 5-7 season with no bowl game. The margin between winning and losing will continue to be close and IMO because we do not have players across the board like USC or Oregon it will be coaching that determines whether we win or lose. The PAC 12 south is a bitch and will likely be picked to finish 5th again. That's okay. I think we will be competitive enough to finish anywhere from 1st to 5th.
    I said "we" were worried about losing Kyle. Speaking what a chunk of the fanbase was thinking.

I've been consistently inconsistent on my feelings about Kyle. I'm fully aware we could do worse. I also know Kyle's shortcomings -- they've been on full display for several years -- and while they will never contribute to us going 2-10, I don't think we'll ever win the South under his tenure. At Nebraska, they fire such coaches. At Utah, the fanbase is genteel enough not to look a gift horse in the mouth. I think we can be really good next year, but if we're not, it won't be a surprise. It'll likely be pretty obvious where fault lies. Most worst-case scenarios can be traced back to Kyle.

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    There is a quote that goes something like, "You can never know what is really going on between two people, even if one of the two is yourself." In that light, I find it interesting that so many people are sure that they know what is going on between Hill and Whittingham based on sources close or not so close to the situation. History, and a little experience, tells me that things are rarely as they seem. So often people are convinced that a certain scenario is what is happening only to find out later that they had completely the wrong idea.
    We know it wasn't Hill spreading bad info out there. His track record speaks for itself in that regard.

We know it wasn't Hill spreading bad info out there. His track record speaks for itself in that regard.
    A far cry from knowing the whole story.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Would be interesting to know what the buyout is. When I read about the deal, I assumed that means that KW has got some additional job security, and that CH has decided to go with KW for several years, b/c the buyout on a new K would be too high in the first year of a four year deal. Who knows.

Banned
    I said "we" were worried about losing Kyle. Speaking what a chunk of the fanbase was thinking.

I've been consistently inconsistent on my feelings about Kyle. I'm fully aware we could do worse. I also know Kyle's shortcomings -- they've been on full display for several years -- and while they will never contribute to us going 2-10, I don't think we'll ever win the South under his tenure. At Nebraska, they fire such coaches. At Utah, the fanbase is genteel enough not to look a gift horse in the mouth. I think we can be really good next year, but if we're not, it won't be a surprise. It'll likely be pretty obvious where fault lies. Most worst-case scenarios can be traced back to Kyle.
    I think Kyle is capable of leading a talented team to a championship. In 2008 he coached a team that won every single game. Those players were good, but should not have been able to beat the talent that Alabama had. He had good coaches working with him as well. He will need that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    I think Kyle is capable of leading a talented team to a championship. In 2008 he coached a team that won every single game. Those players were good, but should not have been able to beat the talent that Alabama had. He had good coaches working with him as well. He will need that again.
    We had 15 players in our two-deep that year that played in the NFL or were drafted. That team doesn't get enough credit for the talent they brought to the table.

We need more talent to account for our new league. And Kyle needs to go undefeated in luck like he did in 2008. If Andy Phillips doesn't go Ross Evans on us against ASU, we might have won the South.

We had 15 players in our two-deep that year that played in the NFL or were drafted. That team doesn't get enough credit for the talent they brought to the table.

We need more talent to account for our new league. And Kyle needs to go undefeated in luck like he did in 2008. If Andy Phillips doesn't go Ross Evans on us against ASU, we might have won the South.
    Your first paragraph is at war with the first sentence of the second one. Kyle brough the 2008 talent to the table, and on paper his recruiting has improved since 2008. He made those NFL prospects.

I agree with you that he had a lot of luck in 2008 and he's been repaying the gods since. He's paid his debt and now is due some more luck than he's been getting, I think.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

I am still of the opinion that Kyle needs to win next year or Hill should likely look in another direction.
    I can't wait for another offseason of this. All last year, it was "Kyle has to get us back to a bowl game, or I think he should be fired." Does he do it? Yes, and then some. But even 9-4 is not enough to avoid a new ultimatum.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I can't wait for another offseason of this. All last year, it was "Kyle has to get us back to a bowl game, or I think he should be fired." Does he do it? Yes, and then some. But even 9-4 is not enough to avoid a new ultimatum.
    9-4 is considered a down year for several Pac 12 programs. I don't think it's too much to expect a 9-4 (or better) most years.

We finished 5th in the division and played a MWC team in the Vegas Bowl. We had a good season compared to the previous few seasons, but we didn't have a spectacular season.
    Last edited by utefan; 01-19-2015 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Your first paragraph is at war with the first sentence of the second one. Kyle brough the 2008 talent to the table, and on paper his recruiting has improved since 2008. He made those NFL prospects.

I agree with you that he had a lot of luck in 2008 and he's been repaying the gods since. He's paid his debt and now is due some more luck than he's been getting, I think.
    The one glaring deficiency is the most important position on the field.