Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2014-15 Expectations Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I think krysko and staff have earned a lot of benefit of the doubt with recruits. Have they whiffed on anyone? Fields transferred, but he was clearly good enough to play d1 ball in some role. Kova might be their one true mistake.
    I have strong doubts about Parker Van Dyke ever being able to meaningfully contribute at Utah.

EDIT: That doesn't necessarily make PVD a recruiting mistake. Not everyone can be a star. Odds alone say at least one of the five players we're bringing in with this class will finish his collegiate career away from Utah.
    Last edited by SoCalPat; 04-22-2014 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I was thinking about this on my drive in this morning.........when was the last time that Utah was really going hard after a kid, only to have him go elsewhere? I honestly don't know. The staff absolutely nailed every single kid they went hard after in the 2014 class. Pretty impressive.
    I'd like to think anyone who takes an official visit is someone we're really going hard after, and the guys we signed weren't the only ones who took official visits. Jamuni McNeace for one, and while I don't think Ryan Andrus took an official, we went after him very hard.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I'd like to think anyone who takes an official visit is someone we're really going hard after, and the guys we signed weren't the only ones who took official visits. Jamuni McNeace for one, and while I don't think Ryan Andrus took an official, we went after him very hard.
    There was the JC who chose Villanova over us last year.

But, yeah, we have been getting most of our top targets. Amazing. I think Loveridge can claim some credit. If he doesn't come, how many of the others do? Basketball success is a really fragile thing for a new coach.

I'm basing this off the presumption that there's a certain amount of face-saving that goes on in recruiting, by both sides. Sometimes it's for the program's benefit, sometimes for the recruit's. Maybe there's no face-saving efforts being made in recruiting, but given how much of the attention given to recruiting news is totally one-sided (since coaches can't talk publicly about recruits), I kinda doubt it.
    Could be. Now we're in the basketll equivalent of "hot stove league," where opinions are the main currency. Mine is that it's hard to believe that Arizona would bring a kid all the way from Europe for an official visit, only to offer him as a walk-on or some other less-than-full-ride opportunity. I'm going to believe Utah won Poeltl over. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Cal people say he was a silent commit but went looking elsewhere with the coaching change. Double win in that he helps us and hurts another P12 team.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Could be. Now we're in the basketll equivalent of "hot stove league," where opinions are the main currency. Mine is that it's hard to believe that Arizona would bring a kid all the way from Europe for an official visit, only to offer him as a walk-on or some other less-than-full-ride opportunity. I'm going to believe Utah won Poeltl over. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
    Arizona got a late commitment from Dusan Ristic, a 7 foot Serbian, whom I presume they valued over Poitul. There was no room at the inn after that.

Arizona obviously had some interest, but since Poeltl also visited Cal and Utah during the same week it isn't as though Arizona brought him across the water just for a wasted visit. I'm guessing they were interested but viewed him as something of a "plan B" and when they got wind that he was coming stateside for some visits they decided to bring him in just in case their first option went elsewhere and they might have to offer him later on in the process. That's how you get a visit to Arizona with no full-ride being offered.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Arizona got a late commitment from Dusan Ristic, a 7 foot Serbian, whom I presume they valued over Poitul. There was no room at the inn after that.
    Ristic vs Poeltl matchups for the next four years! That Serbian is going down.

How about J-Po? J-P?
    "Poodle"

"Ahhnold"

"Pump You Up"

"Roundball Mozart"

I'm not very good at this.

Getting Poeltl is absolutely huge. This was the one missing piece, not only to this recruiting class, but for our program moving forward. If we hadn't landed Poeltl (or another big this year), we would've had to go grab a JC big for 2015, since JO would've been our only true "big" on the roster. Now Poeltl can get some PT next year, develop his game and body while getting acclimated to our program and to US ball, before he takes over as our starting 5 in 2015.

I haven't seen much film on Poeltl, but from everyone I've talked to inside and involved with the program, he has big time potential. NBA potential.

2014 could go down as one of the greatest recruiting classes in Utah history:

Kuzma, Chapman, Reyes, Wright, and Poeltl.

1994 is probably our best ever:

Andre Miller, Doleac, Brandon Jesse, Alex Jensen, Drew Hansen.
    Last edited by 311ute; 04-22-2014 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    "Poodle"

"Ahhnold"

"Pump You Up"

"Roundball Mozart"

I'm not very good at this.
    I agree. You have been relegated to button duty.

Good point, as well as Sancho, who brought up Derryl Reynolds from last year.

To your point above Pat, when it became clear that Andrus was heading to BYU, I was told that we pulled his offer due to him not performing well in summer ball. Also, that he was a backup plan in case BC went elsewhere. That may be all well and good, but I think it is also some face saving on losing out on a recruit to a rival. And is there anything more annoying than "We didn't really want him anyway!" regardless of whether its true or not?

I am not sure Jamuni ever had an official offer. I think BC, IW, and KK were the priorities and that the staff didn't want to overbook going into the year. But who knows. (see what im doing here? )

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I agree. You have been relegated to button duty.
    Come on, clever people. It's either "poodle" or "J-Po" until one of you steps up.

I guess we could wait until we see him.

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    Getting Poeltl is absolutely huge. This was the one missing piece, not only to this recruiting class, but for our program moving forward. If we hadn't landed Poeltl (or another big this year), we would've had to go grab a JC big for 2015, since JO would've been our only true "big" on the roster. Now Poeltl can get some PT next year, develop his game and body while getting acclimated to our program and to US ball, before he takes over as our starting 5 in 2015.

I haven't seen much film on Poeltl, but from everyone I've talked to inside and involved with the program, he has big time potential. NBA potential.

2014 could go down as one of the greatest recruiting classes in Utah history:

Kuzma, Chapman, Reyes, Wright, and Poeltl.

1994 is probably our best ever:

Andre Miller, Doleac, Brandon Jesse, Alex Jensen, Drew Hansen.
    I listened to yesterday's interview of Fran Frascilla by Bill and Hans. Among other things, they asked him specifically about Poeltl. Fran actually had quite a bit positive to say about him. And this was right after the commitment was announced (ie I dont think Frank anticipated getting asked about him and likely didnt have time to do some quick research to BS about him for a couple minutes). I dont follow him closely, but I believe Fran mainly covers Euros who are coming to the NBA, rather than NCAA prospects. He seemed to talk from the perspective that he had seen Jakob while watching someone else and had been really impressed.

It is hard to classify a recruiting class with JUCOs and foreign players, but if there was an accurate means to do so, I have to think we are pushing top 20 status.

Come on, clever people. It's either "poodle" or "J-Po" until one of you steps up.

"Poetl-my-finger"

Captain Von Tap (highlighting his heritage and his penchant for winning the opening tip).

In German Vienna is Wein, and someone from Vienna is a Weiner. Maybe we can do something with that. Or we could just call him Jake.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Lots of theories as to what happened with Poeltl, all supporting the conclusion that he couldn't possibly have chosen Utah over Arizona. Whatever happened, I'm glad he's a Ute.

--Yeats

Lots of theories as to what happened with Poeltl, all supporting the conclusion that he couldn't possibly have chosen Utah over Arizona. Whatever happened, I'm glad he's a Ute.
    Yeah, none of the theories matter. All that matters is that we got him, and we get to see him smash that Serbian kid for the next four years.

Captain von Trapp?
    Rolf Gruber?

I've exhausted my brain's Austrian repository.

Captain Von Tap (highlighting his heritage and his penchant for winning the opening tip).
    Dang you!

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Dang you!
    STOP THE WEBSITE!!!! I'VE GOT IT:

We can call our post players The Austrian School of Dunkonomics! Get it? It's brilliant because it combines dunks (which everyone loves) and market theories of economics (which everyone loves). Really can't go wrong with that one.

We can call our post players The Austrian School of Dunkonomics! Get it? It's brilliant because it combines dunks (which everyone loves) and market theories of economics (which everyone loves). Really can't go wrong with that one.
    Dr. Dunkenstein?

--Yeats

It's strong, but I'd still like to work in some reference to Rolf from Sound of Music.

Just adding a little from the talk on campus - Poeltl gets an immediate chance to compete. Coaches think he'll push Bachynski and Olsen immediately. Something needs to light a fire under Olsen and maybe this will do it. They also hope he can play some four short- to long-term. They particularly want to see if he can stretch the floor a little from the four.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    Just adding a little from the talk on campus - Poeltl gets an immediate chance to compete. Coaches think he'll push Bachynski and Olsen immediately. Something needs to light a fire under Olsen and maybe this will do it. They also hope he can play some four short- to long-term. They particularly want to see if he can stretch the floor a little from the four.
    So Bach at the 5, Poelti at the 4, Kuzma at the 3, Ogbe or JLov at the 2 and Wright at the 1, would have to be the tallest lineup in the history of college basketball. Now if they can just get the ball up court, and get back on D.

So Bach at the 5, Poelti at the 4, Kuzma at the 3, Ogbe or JLov at the 2 and Wright at the 1, would have to be the tallest lineup in the history of college basketball. Now if they can just get the ball up court, and get back on D.
    That's almost as tall as Bach, Poeltl, Chapman, Kuzma, Wright

I don't want big men who "stretch the floor". I want big men who block shots, dunk, and rebound.

--Yeats

I think you need to give the talented Euros a chance to start or win big minutes early on. They have a lot of other options overseas if they're not going to in the long term possibly do better better than their European options, and naturally they'll miss home. What will keep them here is if they think this is the best path to the NBA. They're not interested in being projects in Salt Lake City, Utah or even necessarily a Utah degree.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I listened to yesterday's interview of Fran Frascilla by Bill and Hans. Among other things, they asked him specifically about Poeltl. Fran actually had quite a bit positive to say about him. And this was right after the commitment was announced (ie I dont think Frank anticipated getting asked about him and likely didnt have time to do some quick research to BS about him for a couple minutes). I dont follow him closely, but I believe Fran mainly covers Euros who are coming to the NBA, rather than NCAA prospects. He seemed to talk from the perspective that he had seen Jakob while watching someone else and had been really impressed.

It is hard to classify a recruiting class with JUCOs and foreign players, but if there was an accurate means to do so, I have to think we are pushing top 20 status.
    Fran also said that Poeltl had offers to stay in Europe and continue his professional career but he wants to play in the NBA and has that potential, so he wanted to play college ball in the states.