Thread: The path for homosexuals in LDS theology

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Good for him to get this off his chest. I have known of more than 1 person who has waited to graduate at BYU before coming out.
    I don't understand how this works? Its my understanding that even though you've graduated, BYU has power to withdraw/suspend your degree (I recall the guy from Las Vegas that did the shirtless missionary calendar that was denied his degree even though he had met all the requirement and had graduated). I assume that these degrees will be honored as long as they don't openly practice, but I'm not sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I don't understand how this works? Its my understanding that even though you've graduated, BYU has power to withdraw/suspend your degree (I recall the guy from Las Vegas that did the shirtless missionary calendar that was denied his degree even though he had met all the requirement and had graduated). I assume that these degrees will be honored as long as they don't openly practice, but I'm not sure?
    We have another close friend -- bYu undergrad, law school bask east; has lived in NYC for 25 years. He got married in his husband's rural home town in Nebraska. It was written up in the local paper; somebody saw it and forwarded to his bishop in NYC. He was excommunicated, but he is still a graduate.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    We have another close friend -- bYu undergrad, law school bask east; has lived in NYC for 25 years. He got married in his husband's rural home town in Nebraska. It was written up in the local paper; somebody saw it and forwarded to his bishop in NYC. He was excommunicated, but he is still a graduate.
    Can you imagine them going around rescinding degrees from 20 years ago due to honor code violations that occurred years after graduating? It's a crazy place, Provo, but that would be too far even for them.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Can you imagine them going around rescinding degrees from 20 years ago due to honor code violations that occurred years after graduating? It's a crazy place, Provo, but that would be too far even for them.
    Unfortunately, I can.

I predict the Honor Code office as we now know it will not exist one year from now. Instead honor code worthiness type issues will be sent to the respective bishops and academic disciplinary actions will be handled by the school.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I predict the Honor Code office as we now know it will not exist one year from now. Instead honor code worthiness type issues will be sent to the respective bishops and academic disciplinary actions will be handled by the school.
    But what of the many parts of the honor code that are not commandments or even general church standards? What about beards?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I wish you would predict that a year from now the Church would divest itself of BYU so that the tithes of people in Africa aren't subsidizing BYU tuition.

I don't think he has admitted to any behavior that is against the honor code, right?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't think he has admitted to any behavior that is against the honor code, right?

I just looked it up and it sounds like he was in the process of graduating, not officially graduated (although pretty petty by BYU)?

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...U-diploma.html

PROVO — Selling a calendar of shirtless returned missionaries of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints first cost Chad Hardy his membership in the church.

Now it's cost him his Brigham Young University degree.

Hardy walked in BYU commencement ceremonies in August, but a BYU administrator informed him in a letter dated Sept. 30 that he had been deleted from the August graduation list and would not be awarded his degree in broadcasting.

BYU spokeswoman Carri Jenkins confirmed BYU has not granted Hardy a diploma. "When a student applies for graduation, he or she must be in good standing with the university," Jenkins said.

The BYU letter said Hardy's degree is on hold because he was not in good honor code standing because of his excommunication. The LDS Church owns and operates BYU. The letter invited Hardy to contact the executive director of student academic and advisement services about his degree if he returns to good standing in the church.

Hardy completed the final requirements for his degree over the summer by completing two religion courses. Hardy was excommunicated by the church on July 13. Hardy had not been active in the church for six years.

I just looked it up and it sounds like he was in the process of graduating, not officially graduated?

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...U-diploma.html

PROVO — Selling a calendar of shirtless returned missionaries of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints first cost Chad Hardy his membership in the church.

Now it's cost him his Brigham Young University degree.

Hardy walked in BYU commencement ceremonies in August, but a BYU administrator informed him in a letter dated Sept. 30 that he had been deleted from the August graduation list and would not be awarded his degree in broadcasting.

BYU spokeswoman Carri Jenkins confirmed BYU has not granted Hardy a diploma. "When a student applies for graduation, he or she must be in good standing with the university," Jenkins said.

The BYU letter said Hardy's degree is on hold because he was not in good honor code standing because of his excommunication. The LDS Church owns and operates BYU. The letter invited Hardy to contact the executive director of student academic and advisement services about his degree if he returns to good standing in the church.

Hardy completed the final requirements for his degree over the summer by completing two religion courses. Hardy was excommunicated by the church on July 13. Hardy had not been active in the church for six years.

Most schools let you “walk” prior to degrees being official. It usually takes them months now to actually send you your diploma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro