Thread: US airstrikes in Syria

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I agree with you.

The strike was the right decision and had to happen. I just enjoy the irony of Trump's postering, which most of the time is incoherent, impulsive, and designed for immeidate impact, regardless of the inconsistency down the road.

the real question is what happens next, as everybody points out. Reports suggest the airfield is operating again, that most of the jets were moved before the strike, and that Assad won't be deterred strategically. Do we follow up or is that it? And how do we follow up if we do?
    That is the concerning thing for me as well. I don't know that long term strategy is something Trump is known for and I bet he was hoping that this move would deter them and that would be it.

Also, wasn't Russia supposed to have taken and destroyed all of Syria's chemical weapons? Shouldn't the be upset about this happening too instead of defending it?

US airstrikes in Syria

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    That is the concerning thing for me as well. I don't know that long term strategy is something Trump is known for and I bet he was hoping that this move would deter them and that would be it.
    And if we're going to 'follow up' we should probably get congress on board.

I mean it was Trump himself who said any military action in Syria without congressional approval was a big mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    And if we're going to 'follow up' we should probably get congress on board.

I mean it was Trump himself who said any military action in Syria without congressional approval was a big mistake.

Agreed. In fact the ironic thing about Obama and Trump's propensity to execute law through executive order is it is also easily done. The trend of the White House to bypass congress is very problematic on a lot of levels.