Thread: The health care debate thread.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
    It's a clear sign to me that the system is broken that I'm having a huge internal debate as to whether to take my dehydrated toddler who has been vomiting and having diarrhea for the past 36 hours to the ER. His ashen cheeks and sunken eyes are convincing in the affirmative, but it's unfortunate that getting him an IV will set us back an arm and a leg.

Like many here, we have an independent high deductible HSA plan. The total bills for an ER visit for a head wound Mpfunk had about 6 months ago came back at around $1,800 out of pocket cost for us. And people complain that lawyers overcharge for their time! We were in ER for maybe 40 minutes.
    Take him to urgent care. Much cheaper and get him some pedialite

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Take him to urgent care. Much cheaper and get him some pedialite

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    We called about 6 urgent cares. None will place an IV on a 19-month-old. The ER is our only option if we have to take him tonight. Believe me, the urgent care was our first choice. And we're all over the Pedialyte. I do appreciate your response. Thanks.
    Last edited by Mrs. Funk; 02-27-2013 at 08:22 PM.
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

We called about 6 urgent cares. None will place an IV on a 19-month-old. The ER is our only option if we have to take him tonight. Believe me, the urgent care was our first choice. And we're all over the Pedialyte. I do appreciate your response. Thanks.
    Get a teaspoon dropper. Give 5 ml of the pedialyte every 10 minutes, until no vomiting for an hour, then give 10 ml every 10 minutes until no vomiting for an hour, then give 20 ml every 15 minutes. If they vomit at any time start over at 5ml every 10 minutes. Keep doing that even if he is vomiting.

By following this protocol, you can successfully hydrate almost 90% of infants without using an IV.

Good luck!
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Get a teaspoon dropper. Give 5 ml of the pedialyte every 10 minutes, until no vomiting for an hour, then give 10 ml every 10 minutes until no vomiting for an hour, then give 20 ml every 15 minutes. If they vomit at any time start over at 5ml every 10 minutes. Keep doing that even if he is vomiting.

By following this protocol, you can successfully hydrate almost 90% of infants without using an IV.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the advice. (And sorry for the threadjack.) The severe active vomiting was more yesterday. He's kept some liquids and a popsicle down recently so the immediate danger is lessened. Today has been 14 diarrhea blowouts. 7 loads of laundry today alone. Ugh.

Thanks for the advice. (And sorry for the threadjack.) The severe active vomiting was more yesterday. He's kept some liquids and a popsicle down recently so the immediate danger is lessened. Today has been 14 diarrhea blowouts. 7 loads of laundry today alone. Ugh.
    Little kiddos that are sick can be so draining. Ugh! I hope that gets better and u and the mr. can get some rest. It sounds like he might be on the men.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    Little kiddos that are sick can be so draining. Ugh! I hope that gets better and u and the mr. can get some rest. It sounds like he might be on the men.
    Thanks for the good thoughts. He's getting better, yes. On the other hand, mpfunk is sick and I'm succumbing to the same plague. He'll probably be loads better tomorrow. Nothing like caring for an active, healthy child while battling cholera.

Could have Patient Center Medical Home be a cost saver for the system