Thread: The path for homosexuals in LDS theology

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    Uh . . . What?
    I believe it was Mark E Peterson who taught that it was better to tie your hands to the bedpost while you slept rather than give in to temptation.....

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I believe it was Mark E Peterson who taught that it was better to tie your hands to the bedpost while you slept rather than give in to temptation.....
    Exactly. Thanks.

There was a school of thought that thinking about sexual things (inappropriately) was nothing short of The Adversary trying to separate you from the Lord, trying to derail your journey to get to heaven (for Catholics) or to the Celestial Kingdom (for Mormons). It naturally followed that when people had same sex attraction, it must have been a result of something that *they* did, either thinking naughty thoughts, or not being completely obedient, or whatever.

The last manifestation of this line of thinking was Boyd K. Packer's GC talk where he stated that the Lord would never create anyone who is gay... the part of the talk which was stripped out in the official version. (Remembering what I was taught - that BKP's point was stripped out of the official version would be proof-positive that Satan had infiltrated God's church.)

Measured over a longer period of time, it's notable the author of "A protected class of sin" is not trying to go back to the previous thinking. Her article is not entitled "Homosexuality and Gay marriage - Consequences of Mass Disobedience".

My larger point is this evolution in thinking is not from any proclamation or revelation, it's from common people putting 2+2 together and listening to the heartfelt stories from others, trying to reconcile what good people are struggling with - after having done all the right things - with what is taught and commonly understood.

It's from general authorities softening their views, after hearing about the unimaginable struggles of faithful members. "We may not know everything about this issue. There are things to be revealed - maybe after this life - that will help us understand this better. In the meantime, let's try to love everyone (not "tough love", kick-em-out -of-the-house-until-they-change "love") and try to persevere".

The pace of change is pretty amazing. I stick with my original thesis that in due time issues of homosexuality will seen very differently, like Old Testament laws, or the criticality of skin color, lineage, etc.
    Last edited by Ma'ake; 06-11-2017 at 08:04 AM.

@USS Utah -

"If you don't mind, I would like to take a moment to express my feelings in relation to your article.
    I am speaking from the point of view as a mom.
    I have a 28 year old gay son. He came to us after being raised in the gospe. After serving a worthy mission, trying to date girls, attending BYU at the age of 21. So, it hasn't been easy for our family or him.
    I do feel he tried to live the gospel accordingly.
    I've asked myself at times. Why? I don't want to go deeply into this question.
    But I do know, I love muy son. I would never turn him away. As I know some church members have turned their children away. when finding this out. This has led their child to suicide or to feel even more lost in this life.
    I have a strong testimony of our gospel. My son is nto active in the gospel he grew up in. We have come to an understanding hear on earth. I'll never give up my son. I pray for him each day. This life here on earth comes with trials. Some to which we, may never overcome here on earth. Even as a mom, it's not my place to judge. But, it is my place to love unconditionally, to teach with an understanding, to be an example of my testimony and faith. I just wanted to take this time to express the difference of thoughts one may have on this vital church issue. Especially when its your own son or daughter."

This is a great example of the real impact on good people that facilitates changes in understanding.

In the recent past, the bolded part of this mom's statement would have been considered heresy - or at least a tragic example of somebody who was confused or led astray by a child who had sinned and Satan was now working on the mother to undermine the Lord's work on Earth (or something like that.)

This mom is trying the best she can, avoiding the temptation to really think about "why". You can't help but be moved by her words.

I don't understand why self-described Christians of any stripe strain at the gnat of gay marriage when Jesus said nothing about it, and meanwhile there are homeless people to be housed, hungry to be fed, naked to be clothed, etc. Modern day Pharisees.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes6 View Post
    I don't understand why self-described Christians of any stripe strain at the gnat of gay marriage when Jesus said nothing about it, and meanwhile there are homeless people to be housed, hungry to be fed, naked to be clothed, etc. Modern day Pharisees.
    I used to debate the death penalty with Christian conservatives, one of whom claimed that Jesus fully supported the death penalty, because if he didn't, he would have saved the two thieves who were being crucified next to him. The capacity of human beings to rationalize things is unbounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes6 View Post
    This reminds me of when someone says "I can't believe Congress is getting involved in ________ when ________ is going on." I don't see why Congress can't talk about both things. There are 24 hours in the day.

I think it's very possible for a Christian to house people, feed the hungry, clothe the naked - to be a true Christian - and still have opinions on political issues.

The article about "Miracle of Forgiveness" fading away is striking, for a couple of different reasons. Obviously, the subject matter and how the understanding of sexuality is changing, quickly.

But Spencer W. Kimball, who was POTC when the priesthood ban was lifted, was also the author of a 1960s New Era article about the Lamanites and how their skin color changed when they're righteous, etc, citing the lighter skin tone of Navajo kids in the Indian Placement Program when they go home, as evidence.

Hindsight is particularly brutal for LDS leaders on race, and now on sexuality, but I'm impressed by SWK's evolution in understanding, on both issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    The article about "Miracle of Forgiveness" fading away is striking, for a couple of different reasons. Obviously, the subject matter and how the understanding of sexuality is changing, quickly.

But Spencer W. Kimball, who was POTC when the priesthood ban was lifted, was also the author of a 1960s New Era article about the Lamanites and how their skin color changed when they're righteous, etc, citing the lighter skin tone of Navajo kids in the Indian Placement Program when they go home, as evidence.

Hindsight is particularly brutal for LDS leaders on race, and now on sexuality, but I'm impressed by SWK's evolution in understanding, on both issues.
    Hindsight is particularly brutal for everyone, especially Americans on those two issues. What's interesting, is while other parts of the country (North Carolina, Texas etc.) are circling the wagons on the issue of sexuality, the state of Utah, as initiated by the LDS church and those "old men," is remarkably progressive.