Thread: Off with their headsets! - Coaching hirings and firings

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by jrj84105 View Post
    If this is a voluntary consensus decision, then DE and BJ and BJ's agent have prepared statements to that effect. This change doesn't happen at the beginning of a critical recruiting blackout period- a period were BJ and DE are not allowed to contact their recruits and provide reassurance.

No doubt Christensen is a great OC, but this hiring with the timing at the front end of a recruiting blackout, the lack of a unified public front, and given our OC carousel is just another in a long string of bad executive decisions.

Talks have been going on with Christensen when he was fired from Wyoming. The hiring and the decision were not a surprise, in fact, I was told by some on the staff that they thought the announcement was going to be made before it actually came down. BJ's agent might have been out of the loop, but the others were not.

I haven't heard reports from anyone who really matters, other than BJ's idiot agent who does not really count (who apparently spoke before talking to his client) that the way they received their information has bothered them. I know there are people on message boards who think everything should go through them and those in the media who when told someone was surprised that it was done today makes it sound like they had no knowledge that there was even a person named Dave Christensen and that he was a football coach.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Talks have been going on with Christensen when he was fired from Wyoming. The hiring and the decision were not a surprise, in fact, I was told by some on the staff that they thought the announcement was going to be made before it actually came down. BJ's agent might have been out of the loop, but the others were not.

I haven't heard reports from anyone who really matters, other than BJ's idiot agent who does not really count (who apparently spoke before talking to his client) that the way they received their information has bothered them. I know there are people on message boards who think everything should go through them and those in the media who when told someone was surprised that it was done today makes it sound like they had no knowledge that there was even a person named Dave Christensen and that he was a football coach.

I don't know you or your sources, but I'm taking your version as truth because I like it. Thanks.

Beyond that let's also remember that an assignment as a beat writer does not mean you're given great info. If writers do something to alienate coaches and staff their access and information is often limited, even if they don't realize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Beyond that let's also remember that an assignment as a beat writer does not mean you're given great info. If writers do something to alienate coaches and staff their access and information is often limited, even if they don't realize it.
    This is why Gordon Monson never has any inside info and must always be an opinion writer.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    This is why Gordon Monson never has any inside info and must always be an opinion writer.
    Haven't read his opinion in years. But I assume it still stinks.

Don't think you know so much dude. I had Christensen in my top three when the BJ hire went down two years ago and I posted elsewhere that he would be a great addition for the Utah staff this year BEFORE his firing was announced (my insider knowledge in CFB isn't with Utah's staff), and it was known that he had discussions with KW. I'm not sure if we'll get the real story with DE, but I don't think it's as rosy as some people would like to believe.

Don't think you know so much dude. I had Christensen in my top three when the BJ hire went down two years ago and I posted elsewhere that he would be a great addition for the Utah staff this year BEFORE his firing was announced (my insider knowledge in CFB isn't with Utah's staff), and it was known that he had discussions with KW. I'm not sure if we'll get the real story with DE, but I don't think it's as rosy as some people would like to believe.
    Okay dude. Here's a proposition. I won't read your posts and you won't read mine. You won't miss much because I don't know much. I know I will miss out on a great deal of information, but I am willing to live with that.

Okay dude. Here's a proposition. I won't read your posts and you won't read mine. You won't miss much because I don't know much. I know I will miss out on a great deal of information, but I am willing to live with that.
    Lol.
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

sorry but this seems to be a pretty sensative comment.

not everyone has to agree with you. don't let your feeling get hurt so bad on a interent message board.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyute View Post
    sorry but this seems to be a pretty sensative comment.

not everyone has to agree with you. don't let your feeling get hurt so bad on a interent message board.
    I don't think his feelings were hurt at all.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I don't think his feelings were hurt at all.
    just though he got ultra sensative in his response. thought it was pretty weak.

Off with their heads! - Coaching hirings and firings

He was ticked off. That happens on message boards. We all feel strongly about our teams, which is why we devote so much of our lives to these boards. My wife considers me an overgrown adolescent in that regard. She's at least a little bit right!
    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-24-2013 at 03:36 PM.

--Yeats

I didn't

Frankly the original post attempting to call him out (the "I don't know you but I'm more connected than you are" crap) was the problem.

Dirk Facer:

Utah officially hires former Wyoming offensive line coach Jim Harding.
    https://twitter.com/DirkFacer/status/423139736467677186

So Kyle gives another young, inexperienced guy the best job that guy's ever had. Maybe Kyle can't afford more experienced people?

--Yeats

Wait, you had Christensen in your top 3 two years ago? Right after he was named the MWC coach of the year? Why on Earth would a conference head coach of the year have even been on anyone's radar as a coordinator two years ago?

Is there any chance Christensen could bring Brett Smith with him? Apparently Smith is graduating and has a year of eligibility left. He could transfer to Utah and play immediately.

On the topic of conservative play calling with a lead: the Cowboys and Lions just lost their way out of the playoffs by passing with a lead in the 4th quarter. Instead of trying to run out the clock, they both threw picks that allowed their opponent to get back into the game. Sometimes running out the clock with a lead is the best approach. That said, I was yelling for a pass on a 2nd and 6 in the 4th against ASU.

The hiring and the decision were not a surprise, in fact, I was told by some on the staff that they thought the announcement was going to be made before it actually came down... I know there are people on message boards who think everything should go through them and those in the media who when told someone was surprised that it was done today makes it sound like they had no knowledge that there was even a person named Dave Christensen and that he was a football coach.
    Wow- so that escalated quickly and hasn't gone away. My biggest pet peeve on these boards is people who claim insider knowledge, and then are condescending towards everyone who doesn't- acting like having a connected friend makes them smarter than everyone else. So yeah, when someone pullls the connection card, is patronizing to the entire board, and to anyone who engages in discussion based on the best information available to them, I think responding in a less than passive fashion including letting him/her know that his/her insider info isn't the only info out there, is appropriate. If that results in temborary butthurt, so be it.

That said, my panties were/are still in a bunch because I don't like the continued redirection of the offense. A PM (I now know how those work) would have been more appropriate.

Banned
    Well... whatever,

I hope this works.

If our offense catches fire and our team produces a winning record next year... we go to a decent bowl game (or even better)... then all will be well.

If not... it will be much worse. Patience is a virtue, but it is not easily achieved... especially on football message boards.

Wow- so that escalated quickly and hasn't gone away. My biggest pet peeve on these boards is people who claim insider knowledge, and then are condescending towards everyone who doesn't- acting like having a connected friend makes them smarter than everyone else. So yeah, when someone pullls the connection card, is patronizing to the entire board, and to anyone who engages in discussion based on the best information available to them, I think responding in a less than passive fashion including letting him/her know that his/her insider info isn't the only info out there, is appropriate. If that results in temborary butthurt, so be it.

That said, my panties were/are still in a bunch because I don't like the continued redirection of the offense. A PM (I now know how those work) would have been more appropriate.
    You and UTEopia are excellent members of this board. I'm sure you'll both be singing Kumbaya before too long.

And yes, PMs are an excellent way to clarify misunderstandings. Don't ask me how I know this....

--Yeats