Thread: I've got 99 cap problems, but the Mullet ain't 1: 2016-17 NHL Thread

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    The Caps problem traditionally has been they are a bad possession team.
    Well, I wouldn't say "bad", just not elite. I don't have it in front of me, but I believe their CORSI was about 13-15, somewhere in there. The addition of Eller has really changed that.

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    If by cares a lot you mean it is the metric that has shown to predict success and has been how the Blackhawks built our dynasty, yes I care a lot.

The Caps problem traditionally has been they are a bad possession team.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyUte View Post
    Well, I wouldn't say "bad", just not elite. I don't have it in front of me, but I believe their CORSI was about 13-15, somewhere in there. The addition of Eller has really changed that.
    I would never make light of puck possession...the proof is in the pudding. It seems that the Caps have been better at it this year than in years past.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I would never make light of puck possession...the proof is in the pudding. It seems that the Caps have been better at it this year than in years past.
    What I always like to look at most is CF% 5v5 Close and FF% 5v5 Close. I think when you isolate it out for situations where the game is on the line and when it is even strength, you get the best sense of a teams puck possession metrics. In the playoffs this is where you are going to see the most time on the ice.

I've got to say there are some weird results right now in this respect. LA is first in CF% 5v5 Close, but are out of the playoffs. It doesn't surprise me that the Kings are a great puck possession team, they always have been, but it does surprise me it is not leading to results right now. Boston is 2nd in the league. While I'm hyping the Blackhawks, I don't love that the CF% 5v5 Close is 11th in the league. Also, for some reason the Blackhawks Fenwick numbers are pretty bad at 20th in the league.

The next thing to look at evaluating teams is PDO. This is where I'd be worried if I'm a Caps fan. Caps are 1st in the league in PDO. They are not a PDO neutral team at 104.1. Blackhawks PDO gives me cause for concern as well. Also, PDO explains a lot of what is happening in LA, in short, that team is ridiculously unlucky.

Great, now I'm talking myself out of the Blackhawks cup run.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com