Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Shooting for 7 Straight: Utes go to Provo, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    He said something about succumbing to outside influences in that call. Sounds like Taylor is on the outs (jk)
    Relieved that we won, but good Lord, the penalties!!! Seriously, have our wrs gotten more holding calls in two games than all of last year?

Glad to have Taylor so that we can get stopped in the red zone/4th down

Well, maybe that's just the way this game almost always is. Close Utah win, or occasionally a Utah blowout, and once a decade a close BYU win.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    We did not play well, but it is always fun to beat byu.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Amen. Seven in a row. Feels good.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Glad we won. Wondering why we always allow them to make it interesting at the end. Can't wait to hear Whitt's explanation of the decision not to kick he FG.
    On TV, Whit said, "I succumbed to a little bit of, uh . . . . . outside influence. Should have probably kicked the field goal there. Then we [would] go up three scores. Thought we could make a first. It falls on me. Didn't get it. And, uh, fortunately our defense had enough in the tank to get the win."
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Relieved that we won, but good Lord, the penalties!!! Seriously, have our wrs gotten more holding calls in two games than all of last year?
    I like that there's finally some fight in that group. Now they just need to be more discrete.

Glad they are calling PI on pick plays too. That is the goal line bread and butter for dozens of teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    On TV, Whit said, "I succumbed to a little bit of, uh . . . . . outside influence. Should have probably kicked the field goal there. Then we [would] go up three scores. Thought we could make a first. It falls on me. Didn't get it. And, uh, fortunately our defense had enough in the tank to get the win."
    Just makes no sense. The "outside influences" need a math class.

How did Huntley get called for holding on a pass play? I missed that one.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

How did Huntley get called for holding on a pass play? I missed that one.
    It was McCormick. The refs got confused

Hey, seven in a row! And it was a lot less close than the score suggests. So let's enjoy that. Three more wins in a row and we are 10-0 for the decade.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    It was McCormick. The refs got confused
    Wr holding! :Anger:

I need to stop watching these games - so tired of watching two teams shoot their toes off. We've taken seven from them for the very reason Y fans don't want to admit - we're simply more talented. i just want that talent to step forward and dismiss these guys. This game wasn't going to be 54-10 but it should have been 30-something to 10. Oh well, I'll hope for a blowout next year.

I remarked to my sons tonight that I don't think we beat many Pac-12 teams with the third down percentage and number of penalties. I hope the offense gets those cleaned up this week. We need to be running on all cylinders by Arizona.

The fourth down decision was an odd one but mystifying that we'd do exactly what we've done every damn time - handoff up the middle. Why on earth can't Whittingham/Taylor role Huntley out with a pass/run option in that scenario.

Positives - Huntley was pretty terrific. Defense was solid - a lot of playmakers out there. Should be fun to watch them as the season progresses.

The bright spot tonight: Huntley is the real deal. He is only going to get better. He needs to give the ball to Moss more, however.

The bright spot tonight: Huntley is the real deal. He is only going to get better. He needs to give the ball to Moss more, however.
    Yes, he's going to be fun to watch. I think we went to the air so much because BYU was giving that to us and their front 7 on D are supposed to be pretty good. Just a guess.

--Yeats

Yes. That pass on the run to Carrington? He's great.

Hey, seven in a row! And it was a lot less close than the score suggests. So let's enjoy that. Three more wins in a row and we are 10-0 for the decade.

16 out of 19. That's even more impressive.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

In the post game show KW said the 4th and 1 call was a mistake and that he made the call.

Also said most of the penalties were holding on the periphery, which is fixable.

Very happy with Huntley. Said Tyler needs to remember that when he scrambles for a long time the O-lineman end up downfield and ineligible receiver penalties result.

KW liked the secondary's play and says red zone production is still a problem and he wants to fix it.

--Yeats

Quick look at the box score:

Tough day for Moss - 21 yards on 11 carries. Did he just not get it enough to get into a groove? I He looked slow to me.

36 runs and 37 passes on the day.

7 different receivers with catches. Wilson, Nacua, and McCormick with 5 grabs a piece. I still think this is a good supporting group for Carrington.

Wish averaged 50.8 yards per punt.

Who is our Mayor of Sack Lake City?

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post

I think I'll just give the offense a pass because it is a new offense, but Whit's postgame look was eerily similar to the look he had after the Vegas Bowl win. As far as penalties go, linemen downfield is a penalty you are going to have with a run/pass option play. Those are more on Huntley than the OL as they are blocking for the run and Huntley needs to get rid of the ball quickly or tuck and run. Wilson could have avoided the offensive interference penalty if he had simply acted like he was actually running a route after he made the break instead of looking at Carrington.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Quick look at the box score:

Tough day for Moss - 21 yards on 11 carries. Did he just not get it enough to get into a groove? I He looked slow to me.

36 runs and 37 passes on the day.

7 different receivers with catches. Wilson, Nacua, and McCormick with 5 grabs a piece. I still think this is a good supporting group for Carrington.

Wish averaged 50.8 yards per punt.

Who is our Mayor of Sack Lake City?
    Moss has always looked slow to me. I think we're pretty thin at rb.

Sitake and Detmer are coming to town.

So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Shooting for 7 Straight: Utes go to Provo, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I think I'll just give the offense a pass because it is a new offense, but Whit's postgame look was eerily similar to the look he had after the Vegas Bowl win. As far as penalties go, linemen downfield is a penalty you are going to have with a run/pass option play. Those are more on Huntley than the OL as they are blocking for the run and Huntley needs to get rid of the ball quickly or tuck and run. Wilson could have avoided the offensive interference penalty if he had simply acted like he was actually running a route after he made the break instead of looking at Carrington.
    Whit was unhappy about red zone production. But I don't think it was as bad this time as it has been in the past. Weren't most of our failures there last night caused by penalties?
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-10-2017 at 09:34 AM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    16 out of 19. That's even more impressive.
    A little off. 13 of 19. Still pretty good.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_War_(Utah_vs._BYU)

--Yeats

Whitt said the lineman down field stuff is on Huntley.

He also said many of the penalties are on "the outside" and will be fixed.

I really liked Huntley in the post game press conference. He was happy with the win but mentioned leaving points on the board and needing to improve on a lot of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooting for 7 Straight: Utes go to Provo, 2017

A take from Lebowski, one of the smart guys on CougarStadium:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski
    One of the frustrating/crazy things about this streak is that when we are good, they are just a little better. When they are bad, we happen to be just a little worse. With a decent offense, I think we win that game last night by 10-14 pts. Our defense was solid, especially considering that they got zero help from the offense in terms of momentum, field position, turnovers. And last year Utah turns it over six times and we lose by one point. Lots of blown chances.

--Yeats

I like Tanner Mangum. He is a kind and generous person. It is a shame we won't get to play him again next year, what with him being off to the NFL as a first round draft pick.

So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Huntley is the real deal. But this is probably the worst offensive line we've had at Utah in 20 years. Every shortcoming that's been mentioned in some way goes back to the offensive line.

We don't give the ball to Moss more because we cannot run between the tackles. Because we can't do that, we have to rely on Huntley's legs more, and run more read-option. And on third down, that makes us pretty predictable in what we can and cannot do. We can't set up play-action to save our lives as a result, and most of Huntley's throws are over the middle because we can't pass block long enough to send a guy 40 yards downfield.

We're pretty damn good everywhere else, but the O-line is handicapping us in a major way.

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    I like Tanner Mangum. He is a kind and generous person. It is a shame we won't get to play him again next year, what with him being off to the NFL as a first round draft pick.

The problem with this game every year is that the score and the stats often don't align.
    Last night, it was a one-touchdown game & went down to the last possession. No surprise there.
    But utah also had big advantages in yards gained and first downs. Utah's defense dominated poor tanner m. (ints, sacks, hurries), but the byu defense did a better job of shutting down the utes on 3rd down.

So, it's easy to say that these teams are close because the score was close.
    But it's also defensible to say that Utah was significantly stronger in the game offensively. Defensively, . . . I thought both teams were good. Utah had trouble running the ball (other than Huntley, I suppose). The byu had trouble throwing it.

That is why this game is always such a crapshoot - in terms of final score, at least.
    Are these teams evenly matched? Who knows? Clearly, the Utes aren't head-and-shoulders above, since these games are so close. On the other hand, seven in a row is practically biblical, and is more than just some lucky bounces.

Stats tell a story. The score tells a story (indeed, the most important story). But the stories are sometimes different.

The byu played hard and didn't give up. I'll tip my cap to them.
    But I also suspect that the byu's late-game success against a prevent defense is coloring some of our analyses.

In the end, I'm relieved and glad to be done with this game.
    Bring on the Spartans. Time for Leuctra 2.0!!!!!
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

A take from Lebowski, one of the smart guys on CougarStadium:
    And we were silly, drive-killing penalties away from 3 more TDs and one boneheaded coaches decision away from another FG.

We can all play the what-if game and pick a side that makes us feel better.

Whit's comment about "outside influences" was pretty interesting, given last year's BYU game. If you remember, we got the ball just as the 4th quarter started with a four point lead. We then rushed Zach Moss over and over, and put together a 78 yard, 11 minute drive to the BYU 7. Joe Williams caught a pass and sort of mindlessly, ran out of bounds a yard short. 4th and 1 from the 7. Whit opted to kick the field goal to extend the lead to 7. Which turned out being just enough. Many fans chewed into Whit about the decision to play it safe wishing instead that he had more of a killer instinct. "We should have gone for it on 4th down, scoring a touchdown to put the game out of reach."

Fast forward a year later and Whit has practically the same situation. "New offense" and "new killer instinct." He's going to listen to that outside influence and put the game away. Gives it to Moss on 4th and 1, we lose 5 yards and BYU puts together their best drive of the game to bring it within a touchdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Fast forward a year later and Whit has practically the same situation.
    I don't think the two situations are very comparable other than both being fourth and short in the 4th quarter.

The decision last year was close to a 50/50 decision. We debated it back and forth for a week. The decision last night was a 95/5 decision. No one is going to argue that he did the right thing.