Page 21 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: The Basketball Recruiting Thread

Looking at the run down of players, my guess is that unless Tucker has a stellar season this year, he will graduate and transfer.

With I. Wright, Taylor, Ogbe, and Bealer, Tucker is the odd man out.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    There are precedents.
    An anecdotal example here or there for a season or two, but it just doest work if you want to be fully committed to one. Now, if all parties agree that noah can put one sport secondary, then yeah. But good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Looking at the run down of players, my guess is that unless Tucker has a stellar season this year, he will graduate and transfer.

With I. Wright, Taylor, Ogbe, and Bealer, Tucker is the odd man out.
    That would be too bad, but I fear you might be correct. I love DakTuck, but he's got an uphill battle for minutes.

I read somewhere that by signing now, Togiai would not be able to participate in football as a freshman....if he wants to play football he needs to wait until the football signing period to sign his NLI. Based on that and what Goon has reported, Togiai ain't playing football anytime soon.

It is not fun to see this, but I think it is naive to assume that all eligible players will return....and that doesn't just go for Utah, I think it is pretty much true of every program. Someone will want more minutes/shots and leave of their own accord. Utah has merely replaced that person in advance. It is way too early to have any idea who that will be.

Yes by signing now he cannot play football. In all conversations I've had with people its been pretty obvious he was wanting to focus on hoops

in case it hasn't been mentioned.

Princeton Onwas found a home with San Jose St and Ahmad Fields with Drexel University.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    An anecdotal example here or there for a season or two, but it just doest work if you want to be fully committed to one. Now, if all parties agree that noah can put one sport secondary, then yeah. But good luck with that.
    Austin Sefarian-Jenkins did that up here for a year or so. He was All-Everything in football, but rode pine far down at the end of the bench in basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    in case it hasn't been mentioned.

Princeton Onwas found a home with San Jose St and Ahmad Fields with Drexel University.
    Great to hear that.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Austin Sefarian-Jenkins did that up here for a year or so. He was All-Everything in football, but rode pine far down at the end of the bench in basketball.
    Yep, every example I can think of from ASJ to Julius peppers to Bronson Kaufusi locally has been that way. They are football players primarily, who join the hoops squad part way through the year once football ends. Not sure any football coach would ever agree to have a player be primarily a basketball player. Hoops practice starts in early october; barely halfway through the season.

Kaufusi was actually a somewhat decent addition to their team a couple of years ago. He could rebound, defend, and was generally a goon that was somewhat in control. I think at the end of the day, Bronco, Rose, and Bronson all realized teh same thing everyone usually realizes, its way too hard to play both at the college level.

At any rate, it appears Togiai will stick with hoops, and I say to him and the other newcomers: "Welcome aboard!"

Yep, every example I can think of from ASJ to Julius peppers to Bronson Kaufusi locally has been that way. They are football players primarily, who join the hoops squad part way through the year once football ends.
    And Charlie Ward, of course. You are right, most cases are just some muscle that football lends to basketball for a while, there are always exceptions. It's been too long since we had one. I wish more coaches would let players try.

And Charlie Ward, of course. You are right, most cases are just some muscle that football lends to basketball for a while, there are always exceptions. It's been too long since we had one. I wish more coaches would let players try.

Remember that monster for CSU that was inserted into a game at the Special Events Center to take out Greg Dean? A nice little elbow to the jaw to stir things up a bit. Anyone remember that dude's name?
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Remember that monster for CSU that was inserted into a game at the Special Events Center to take out Greg Dean? A nice little elbow to the jaw to stir things up a bit. Anyone remember that dude's name?
    I remember everything about that incident except the guy's name.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Lol. of course i would forget the best example. well said, sir.

Here's an article from Wilner on changing basketball to be a one-semester sport. This might make two-sport stars more common:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/college...ack-one-month/

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    National Signing Day today….

According to Kyle Goon, both Gabe Bealer and Makol Mawein sent in their signed NLIs, and Noah Togiai, although he participated in a local signing party, will sign his this weekend.

First, the question I’ve posed to a few media members (and yet to get a reply) is this: what does signing a basketball NLI mean for possible dual-sport athletes like Noah? If he signs a basketball NLI, does that mean he can’t sign a football NLI?
    Dave Hammer, head of SL Metro (local AAU club), told me this: “I believe if he signs now he is ineligible to play freshman year in football. Sign in Feb if wanting to play football.”

Second, let’s look at what this incoming class means going forward:

We now have 14 (out of 13) scholarships for next year. This means one of three things:
    1. Brandon Miller never becomes a Ute
    2. We have someone on the current roster transfer
    3. Noah is either a mission kid or plays football (or uses a football scholarship)

14 scholarship players broken out by class for 2015:
    Freshman: Miller, Noah, Makol,
    Sophomores: Bealer, Poeltl, Chapman, Kuzma, I.Wright
    Juniors: Ogbe, Reyes,
    Seniors: Loveridge, Taylor, Tucker, Olsen

Thoughts?
    I think Stew Morrill needs to be at the airport when Miller gets home.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    And go back when van dyke gets home.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Miller's younger brother just signed with Utah State, so maybe there's more to this than we know.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Miller's younger brother just signed with Utah State, so maybe there's more to this than we know.

Since Two Utes son is now an Aggie, he would probably know.

The Basketball Recruiting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    And go back when van dyke gets home.
    Does everyone think Parker is done as a Ute? Part of me thinks that would be a shame, but I understand the realities of the situation.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Does everyone think Parker is done as a Ute? Part of me thinks that would be a shame, but I understand the realities of the situation.
    I am so confused as to why people think PVD cant play at the Pac-12 level (not saying this is your point, LA, just commenting in general). Its so easy (and lazy quite frankly) to look at his skin color and say "he cant defend!" nonsense. what I saw last year was a kid who wasn't ready for this level but who put in a great effort at both ends, and kids like that with an elite skill (shooting) can absolutely become useful at this level. Larry would be very wise to do all he can to get PVD to return.
    Last edited by UtahsMrSports; 11-13-2014 at 03:32 PM. Reason: clarity

I am so confused as to why people think PVD cant play at the Pac-12 level (not saying this is your point, LA, just commenting in general). Its so easy (and lazy quite frankly) to look at his skin color and say "he cant defend!" nonsense. what I saw last year was a kid who wasn't ready for this level but who put in a great effort at both ends, and kids like that with an elite skill (shooting) can absolutely become useful at this level. Larry would be very wise to do all he can to get PVD to return.
    He can play. There will be other schools in the state that I would guess would be happy to take him.

I suspect he cant, and I say that as someone whose kids have gone thru school and little league sports with the Van Dykes (younger than Parker) and who roots for him wholeheartedly. He was slow and small last year, and he doesnt fit the prototype of perimiter player LK has been recruiting lately. So I suspect if anybody is going to be an odd man out is a year or two he will be. Just my $0.02, however, and I hope I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Since Two Utes son is now an Aggie, he would probably know.
    I don't know anything. But I would totally guess Utah State would be interested in him. From what I understand, the youngest Miller is a sign and send. And I have been told from someone not connected in any way to Utah State that Miller's dad thinks the youngest one might be the best of the three.

I also know that I saw on twitter that the oldest is ready to go this year at Harvard.

I don't know whether he can or he cannot. It appeared to me that he started out as the freshman who played the most and as the year went on he moved further and further down the bench.

Frank Jackson decommits from BYU a week after attending the Utah-Oregon game and about 10 minutes after BYU's first game. Anyone have any inside on the situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Frank Jackson decommits from BYU a week after attending the Utah-Oregon game and about 10 minutes after BYU's first game. Anyone have any inside on the situation?
    Hes been talking to other schools for a while. From reading his Dads comments in recent articles, it was obvious to all but the law firm of Harmon, Wrubell, Shep, and Gurney that this was going to happen. I think he wants to see whats out there, and being a high school junior, he should.

I have no idea if he is leaning any particular way, but ive said before and ill say again, if we are going to steal a lone peaker, this is the one to steal. Hes the best one to come through.

the law firm of Harmon, Wrubell, Shep, and Gurney

What a good colorful image. They seem more like a caliphate to me, but then I'm a lawyer and probably defensive.
    Last edited by concerned; 11-15-2014 at 10:32 AM.

Hes been talking to other schools for a while. From reading his Dads comments in recent articles, it was obvious to all but the law firm of Harmon, Wrubell, Shep, and Gurney that this was going to happen. I think he wants to see whats out there, and being a high school junior, he should.

I have no idea if he is leaning any particular way, but ive said before and ill say again, if we are going to steal a lone peaker, this is the one to steal. Hes the best one to come through.
    I hope we can persuade him. If not, I see that Duke is also on the list....Of course, anything would be better for me and for him than BYU.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    The rumor is that Stanford and BYU are the front-runners. I doubt the kid comes to Utah - his mom is a HUGE BYU homer and his dad is a convert with no connection to the state (other than living in it right now). By the time his recruitment is done, I think the real question is which team better prepares the kid for a shot at the NBA. Competing against Duke, Stanford, and Arizona? That's a tough assignment.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I think the real question is which team better prepares the kid for a shot at the NBA. Competing against Duke, Stanford, and Arizona? That's a tough assignment.
    Don't list Stanford with Duke and Arizona. Stanford is closer to BYU that Duke/Arizona in terms of getting him to the NBA.

It would be tempting to choose BYU for the Jimmer-ball. He gets to score 30 per game while shooting 28% from the field. Tons of attention. It would be tempting to choose anything else for every other possible consideration.