Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Revenge: Utah vs. Arizona (and ASU) II

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Utefan View Post
    Miller's leash in this league is way too long. He deserved 1-2 T's last night just for being out on the court and screaming at officials why our players were shooting FT's on a few occasions. His over the top antics and behavior justified another 1 or 2.

If it is true he called the official a mother F'er after the call, that official has no spine. Give him what he had already earned much earlier in the game.
    This is especially true since Miller made on the order of 85 times as much as the refs for that game last night...

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    This is especially true since Miller made on the order of 85 times as much as the refs for that game last night...
    At least Miller earned his salary.

Revenge: Utah vs. Arizona (and ASU) II

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I salute Kodiak for bringing the program back from oblivion, and the team for surpassing expectations this year. But I'm HUGELY disappointed by the last two losses. It's a shame to be in the driver's seat to win the Pac 12, something truly special, then fail to close. Kodiak is a great program coach; I wish that he could motivate and win the biggest games as well as Whit can. I give the coach most of the credit for successes -- and failures. These last two losses were about intangibles, not bodies.

Whoever said this team may be Utah's best ever deserves 30 lashes. Fortunately, NCAA basketball is all about second chances. They can still redeem this awful collapse.
    The team does not have the seasoning to be great yet. Still, I think the Oregon game was a collapse, but not last night. They battled as hard as I've seen them battle all season but made critical mental errors. I'm as big a Krysko homer as there is, but his crunch time coaching leaves something to be desired. I hope it improves..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-01-2015 at 09:55 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    The team does not have the seasoning to be great yet. Still, I think the Oregon game was a collapse, but not last night. They battled as hard as I've seen them battle all season but made critical mental errors. I'm as big a Krysko homer as there is, but his crunch time coaching leaves something to be desired. I hope it improves..

I think the far bigger impact on the result of the game was our inability to stretch their 0-whatever start in the second half into a double digit lead. At home, in big games, you have to be able to do that. That to me is when the game turned. Sure, we made some big mistakes down the stretch, but I don't think we're in the position to have to make those mistakes down the stretch if we take advantage of their cold start to the second half.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Again, I think I've only seen 1-2 techs on coaches all year. Refs pretty much just take the abuse. Really, it takes a strange person to want to be a referee.

Good point. I have been to every conference home game this year and Miller was by far the most obnoxious, whiny, and over the top coach I've seen and it wasn't even close.

I just think the refs are scared to T him up now after all his bitching a few seasons ago about being unfairly targeted. We have a great view of the visitors bench at eye level directly across the court. There was one point late in the 1st half when Delon was shooting two FT's. Miller was 3 feet out on the court screaming at David Hall who was over by us on the opposite side while Deon was shooting. He shouldn't be allowed to do that repeatedly, particularly in those type of situations.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Utefan View Post
    Good point. I have been to every conference home game this year and Miller was by far the most obnoxious, whiny, and over the top coach I've seen and it wasn't even close.
    Miller is the smarmy snitch some mobster movie somewhere.

They shot 37 FTs to our 21, an interesting stat in itself. They made 27 of theirs, we made 16 of ours. That's an 11-point swing right there. Some of those resulted from fouls that should have been no-calls, others from really bad fouls like 2 of Poeltl's. According to Krysko on the post-game show, one big reason for the rebounding reversal was that we had to "go small" when our bigs got into foul trouble. No excuses, but the extraordinary way the game was called still had a significant impact on the outcome.

Krysko seemed to blame the loss mostly on mental lapses, "the ordinary things we need to do extraordinarily well." Like blocking out the shooter at a crucial moment, not giving Arizona's best three-point shooter an open look when we just went up by 6 with 8 minutes to go, neutralizing Stanley Johnson offensively but still letting him get 8 offensive rebounds, and so forth.

It did seem from what Krysko said and the way he said it that he's is pretty determined to address those things. It will be interesting to see how they play in the final two games. There's a lot still at stake.

One theory I have about the missed layups is that the Utes who missed seemed a little scared when they were shooting them. Maybe AZ's physical style of play got into the guys' heads and affected their bunny shots.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-02-2015 at 09:08 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

According to Krysko on the post-game show, one big reason for the rebounding reversal was that we had to "go small" when our bigs got into foul trouble. No excuses, but the extraordinary way the game was called still had a significant impact on the outcome.
    I wondered about it at the time. I think we are deep enough that we should have left Loveridge in with 4. He was playing as well as anyone not named Delon at the time.

neutralizing Stanley Johnson offensively but still letting him get 8 offensive rebounds, and so forth.
    I'm not sure how you can neutralize someone so athletic and so jacked up on steroids. He's one of those 28 year olds posing as an 18 year old.

I'm not sure how you can neutralize someone so athletic and so jacked up on steroids. He's one of those 28 year olds posing as an 18 year old.
    He gets you one way or the other. He was 3-19 from the field, but had 8 offensive rebounds (of 11 total). Offensive rebounds make shooting percentages deceptive. And...although he only got 7 points from the field, he was 5-7 from the line. Presto: A double-double. 12 points, 11 rebounds.

--Yeats

I'm sure the players tried hard in both games. But so far Kodiak teams lack that extra intangible something -- the mystery element -- that makes for great teams. Whether that comes from game plan or motivation or sheer trust and expectations (Pat has actually complained that Kodiak calls too many timeouts down the stretch, that he micromanages too much in the stretch) or something else (I don't know, it's a mystery to me), I think coaching is the ultimate source. When Taylor hit that three to put us up 47-41 we had them where we wanted them. But it was Arizona not our guys who saw this as the pivotal moment, and rose to the occasion.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

I'm sure the players tried hard in both games. But so far Kodiak teams lack that extra intangible something -- the mystery element -- that makes for great teams. Whether that comes from game plan or motivation or sheer trust and expectations (Pat has actually complained that Kodiak calls too many timeouts down the stretch, that he micromanages too much in the stretch) or something else (I don't know, it's a mystery to me), I think coaching is the ultimate source. When Taylor hit that three to put us up 47-41 we had them where we wanted them. But it was Arizona not our guys who saw this as the pivotal moment, and rose to the occasion.
    I think it is a talent issue more than a coaching issue. We just don't have a go to scorer we can count on to get a basket or free throws to stop the bleeding and end a drought.

Also we forgot to defend the 3 that made it 47-44, and then Wright made the brain dead pass for a layup to make it 47-46. That is youth or inexperience, I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I think it is a talent issue more than a coaching issue. We just don't have a go to scorer we can count on to get a basket or free throws to stop the bleeding and end a drought.

Also we forgot to defend the 3 that made it 47-44, and then Wright made the brain dead pass for a layup to make it 47-46. That is youth or inexperience, I hope.
    I hope so too. Maybe I. Wright will yet be our Soto, and maybe Chapman will be our Josh Grant. (I didn't say our Andre Miller and our KVH because I don't think that's who they are; but I think they can be our go-to guys in the future, the guys we want with the ball in their hands in crunch time.)

--Yeats

I'm sure the players tried hard in both games. But so far Kodiak teams lack that extra intangible something -- the mystery element -- that makes for great teams. Whether that comes from game plan or motivation or sheer trust and expectations (Pat has actually complained that Kodiak calls too many timeouts down the stretch, that he micromanages too much in the stretch) or something else (I don't know, it's a mystery to me), I think coaching is the ultimate source.
    I agree. I am hoping it comes with experience. Majerus once called it "the eye of the tiger."

--Yeats

I hope so too. Maybe I. Wright will yet be our Soto, and maybe Chapman will be our Josh Grant. (I didn't say our Andre Miller and our KVH because I don't think that's who they are; but I think they can be our go-to guys in the future, the guys we want with the ball in their hands in crunch time.)
    Soto and Grant are great comparisons.

Absolutely no good reason has been made known to me why, when Taylor hit that three to put us up 2 at 57-55 with under 2 minutes to play, Larry called timeout. Momentum from a lead change plus the crowd trumps absolutely everything a coach can say in that moment. Now, we had two timeouts left after that one, so I can't say we "wasted" a TO by calling one there. But that timeout was manna for Miller and the Cats. Miller was able to get Johnson out and Ashley in, which is a massive plus for Arizona. Furthermore, Arizona had only one timeout left at this juncture. Make them use it. We totally bailed Arizona out by calling that timeout.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Absolutely no good reason has been made known to me why, when Taylor hit that three to put us up 2 at 57-55 with under 2 minutes to play, Larry called timeout. Momentum from a lead change plus the crowd trumps absolutely everything a coach can say in that moment. Now, we had two timeouts left after that one, so I can't say we "wasted" a TO by calling one there. But that timeout was manna for Miller and the Cats. Miller was able to get Johnson out and Ashley in, which is a massive plus for Arizona. Furthermore, Arizona had only one timeout left at this juncture. Make them use it. We totally bailed Arizona out by calling that timeout.
    As much as I love Larry, he doesn't shine in the final minutes of close games.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Johnson out and Ashley in, which is a massive plus for Arizona.
    I was happy to see Johnson out at the end of the game. He had been killing us on the glass, and he's a much better defender than York. Of course, it just had to be York who beat us in the end, making Miller look like a genius and making me look like a fan.

we are all overlooking the biggest reason we lost to Arizona: it was those damn grey uniforms. What was anybody thinking not wearing traditonal white on senior night? For the rest of their lives, Delon and Bach will have to look at photos of themselves in battleship grey with Marquette tiger stripes on the sides, which don't reflect the proud tradition they were a part of.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    we are all overlooking the biggest reason we lost to Arizona: it was those damn grey uniforms. What was anybody thinking not wearing traditonal white on senior night? For the rest of their lives, Delon and Bach will have to look at photos of themselves in battleship grey with Marquette tiger stripes on the sides, which don't reflect the proud tradition they were a part of.
    I know you are kidding but I do think the gray unis are idiotic.

--Yeats

The warm ups with hoods are idiotic too. Are they trying to look like monks or rappers?

This sums up what most of us have said in one way or another. Reportedly, when we went up by 6 this is what T.J. McConnell says happened:

We huddled up and we said, “We’ve been here before.”

They have, we haven't. That more than anything tells the story of the game. The only way to get experience winning big games is to be in a few of them and win them. These Utes had never been in a game as big as last Saturday nights. Now they have. Next step: Start winning some.

--Yeats

This sums up what most of us have said in one way or another. Reportedly, when we went up by 6 this is what T.J. McConnell says happened:

We huddled up and we said, “We’ve been here before.”

They have, we haven't. That more than anything tells the story of the game. The only way to get experience winning big games is to be in a few of them and win them. These Utes had never been in a game as big as last Saturday nights. Now they have. Next step: Start winning some.
    I think the "this is for the championship" pressure, full house atmosphere, senior night, national tv, all contributed to the jitters, which is a big reason we missed free throws and layups.

didnt realize Delon did not score after the 9:46 mark or thereabouts. that is telling.
    Last edited by concerned; 03-02-2015 at 03:19 PM.

They would look great in white instead of gray. The script Utah is sweet. Gray needs to go.

They would look great in white instead of gray. The script Utah is sweet. Gray needs to go.
    If nothing else, it they were horrible on TV. It was hard to tell them apart, even in HD.

Krystkowiak made mention in his press conference today that guys didn't set solid screens and they had several clips of "4 guys standing while Delon did his thing". Larry said it would be shown to everyone that they weren't moving.

Also mentioned they use bags to hit guys to get them to play through contact and make shots and that would be taken to a new level due to missed chip shots

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Krystkowiak made mention in his press conference today that guys didn't set solid screens and they had several clips of "4 guys standing while Delon did his thing". Larry said it would be shown to everyone that they weren't moving.

Also mentioned they use bags to hit guys to get them to play through contact and make shots and that would be taken to a new level due to missed chip shots
    I wonder how many times Delon hit the floor during that game? Seemed like a lot.

--Yeats

Thats disconcerting to me. Often people learn at different speeds -- many just don't substantively acquire much.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

Last edited by justaute; 03-03-2015 at 12:01 AM.

Glad to see K3 keeps positive and keeps "plowing".

"You have brains in your head, you have feet in your shoes," he read. "You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own and you know what you know, and you are the one who'll decide where you'll go."

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2240731...-says-too-much
    Last edited by U-Ute; 03-03-2015 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Linkified

That's awesome that K brought the students camping out in front of the Huntsman a fire pit.

Thus UF.net post is worth a look:

http://utefans.net/message.php?id=1711388

--Yeats