Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coaching Carousel Basketball Style

Coaching Carousel Basketball Style

Travis Ford out at Oklahoma St.

Jamie Dixon to TCU....WHAT? - Edit - I guess it is his alma mater which I didn't know.
    Last edited by DrumNFeather; 03-21-2016 at 02:25 PM.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Sounds like Brad Underwood could be Ok St's first choice.

Sean Miller to his alma mater (Pitt)? Unlikely, but possible.

Larry Shyatt resigns as Wyoming HC. Could Tommy C be a candidate there?

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    Sounds like Brad Underwood could be Ok St's first choice.

Sean Miller to his alma mater (Pitt)? Unlikely, but possible.

He's talking to them. It will probably result in Arizona handing him more money.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    He's talking to them. It will probably result in Arizona handing him more money.
    ...and he quickly puts out a statement squashing the rumors.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    ...and he quickly puts out a statement squashing the rumors.
    I am disappointed. You missed some nice opportunities to work in some good "sweat soaked shirt" references here:

• "Miller is trying to wring out some extra money"
    • "Miller is making Pitt sweat"
    • "Miller's intentions are fairly transparent here"

Wyoming really could've had a ripple effect on us had they gone after someone like Randy Rahe. You couldn't have finished the Wyoming presser without Tommy inking a deal with Weber.

It'll be very interesting to see who UNLV picks. Interim coach Todd Simon is now the HC at Southern Utah.

Watch out for the WCC. You're seeing true carnage over there. Four firings since season's end, all at schools that are looking for that next coach that can elevate a program into Gonzaga/St. Mary's/BYU territory. You gotta think Tommy Connor could be a finalist for one of those jobs. (Santa Clara, USD, Portland, USF).

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I am disappointed. You missed some nice opportunities to work in some good "sweat soaked shirt" references here:

• "Miller is trying to wring out some extra money"
    • "Miller is making Pitt sweat"
    • "Miller's intentions are fairly transparent here"
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

If I were a Stanford fan, I think I'd be okay with this:

haase.JPG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerod_Haase

After a few misses, it looks like UNLV is going to hire Arkansas-Little Rock's Chris Beard. He'd been there all of one season. Wherefore art thou, Shark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little Rock had a nice run this year. UNLV seems to have a knack for bringing in talent, and Chris Beard might make a lot of noise in the MWC.

Wait, I thought Dave Rice was a better coach than Krysko. What happened?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Wait, I thought Dave Rice was a better coach than Krysko. What happened?

Apparently he has strayed from the beliefs.

Santa Clara hires Herb Sendek.

Ga. Tech targeting Jeff Capel.

Portland hires Terry Porter. Pacific hires Damon Stoudamire. Johnny Dawkins ends up at Central Florida. Hiring former NBA players seems to be en vogue.

By my count, there have been 7 schools in P5 leagues that have hired new coaches. Only Georgia Tech is unfilled. Five hired coaches from other HC positions; only Wisconsin went with an assistant -- and Greg Gard had an interim stint in which to prove himself, and did. Please remember this when others say Tommy Connor is being groomed to be our next HC. I cannot think of a more laughable presumption.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Portland hires Terry Porter. Pacific hires Damon Stoudamire. Johnny Dawkins ends up at Central Florida. Hiring former NBA players seems to be en vogue.

By my count, there have been 7 schools in P5 leagues that have hired new coaches. Only Georgia Tech is unfilled. Five hired coaches from other HC positions; only Wisconsin went with an assistant -- and Greg Gard had an interim stint in which to prove himself, and did. Please remember this when others say Tommy Connor is being groomed to be our next HC. I cannot think of a more laughable presumption.
    Why would Connor be groomed as our next head coach? If he is as good as some think he will be a head coach LONG before our job becomes available.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Well, it happens every once in a while. Dean Smith turned into Bill Guthridge. Tubby Smith eventually took over at Kentucky. Pastner took over for Calipari. As you pointed out, it just happened to Greg Gard.

I don't see why it would be considered laughable to think of Connor as a candidate. A good program would think of every assistant as a candidate to be the next HC.
    Tubby Smith was HC at Tulsa and Georgia before landing the Kentucky job. Guthridge came at the insistence of Dean himself and was widely viewed as a bridge to the next HC -- a more long-term solution that could thrive without following in Dean's footsteps (predictably, Guthridge only was around for three years). Pastner is viewed as one of the top recruiters in the game. None of those situations in any way resembles Tommy's. Good programs don't universally view their assistants as being the next HC -- they're hoping they're good enough to land their own job sooner than that.

In 100 years of Utah hoops, we've promoted one assistant to the HC spot -- and Pimm was bypassed once for Bill Foster. Tommy being promoted to HC without the fire of several conference titles and national-championship contending runs under Larry would make him the least qualified HC we've ever had. It's entirely laughable to suggest a coach five years removed from the NAIA ranks could be our next HC, unless you backed guys like Kerry Rupp and Dick Hunsaker for HC as well.

Tubby Smith was HC at Tulsa and Georgia before landing the Kentucky job. Guthridge came at the insistence of Dean himself and was widely viewed as a bridge to the next HC -- a more long-term solution that could thrive without following in Dean's footsteps (predictably, Guthridge only was around for three years). Pastner is viewed as one of the top recruiters in the game. None of those situations in any way resembles Tommy's. Good programs don't universally view their assistants as being the next HC -- they're hoping they're good enough to land their own job sooner than that.

In 100 years of Utah hoops, we've promoted one assistant to the HC spot -- and Pimm was bypassed once for Bill Foster. Tommy being promoted to HC without the fire of several conference titles and national-championship contending runs under Larry would make him the least qualified HC we've ever had. It's entirely laughable to suggest a coach five years removed from the NAIA ranks could be our next HC, unless you backed guys like Kerry Rupp and Dick Hunsaker for HC as well.

Ideally he would go prove himself somewhere else as HC but I think Tommy has earned the right to be considered at least. It's not like you can't be successful hiring from within. It worked for Gonzaga, BYU, Michigan St. Those are just a few I can think of at the moment. Mark Few had zero experience as a HC on any level before taking over at Gonzaga.

Look at Boise St. in football. They hire from within and its worked out pretty well I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    Ideally he would go prove himself somewhere else as HC but I think Tommy has earned the right to be considered at least. It's not like you can't be successful hiring from within. It worked for Gonzaga, BYU, Michigan St. Those are just a few I can think of at the moment. Mark Few had zero experience as a HC on any level before taking over at Gonzaga.

Look at Boise St. in football. They hire from within and its worked out pretty well I would say.
    Harsin was HC at Arkansas State, albeit one year. But yeah, he's largely the exception to the rule.

My thing with Tommy is this: What has he done outside the state of Utah? It's a common criticism of Kyle -- that he's insulated and his inner circle isn't vast. How would Tommy be any different? For anything involving his future as a HC at Utah, I would have to see him perform at a high level outside the state, preferably as a HC.

Amen SoCal. It's critical. I could only be convinced that he's a head coach at Utah's level if he has a handful of years success at a low to mid-major - including a win or two in the NCAA Tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    Amen SoCal. It's critical. I could only be convinced that he's a head coach at Utah's level if he has a handful of years success at a low to mid-major - including a win or two in the NCAA Tournament.
    Maybe 3-4 years of success and overachievement someplace like New Mexico State.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    Bingo. It's what Larry had on his resume when we tried hiring him the first time.

Tubby Smith was HC at Tulsa
    I've always wondered how the hell Tulsa landed Tubby and Self. That is bonkers.

I've always wondered how the hell Tulsa landed Tubby and Self. That is bonkers.
    You only named 2 of the 3 Tulsa coaches who went on to win national titles. Nolan Richardson was at Tulsa before taking the Arkansas job.

Maybe the experience at Tulsa made Tubby, and Self, and Richardson into the coaches they became.

You only named 2 of the 3 Tulsa coaches who went on to win national titles. Nolan Richardson was at Tulsa before taking the Arkansas job.
    I didn't know that.

Freaking Tulsa?

I didn't know that.

Freaking Tulsa?
    Since 1982, Tulsa has 15 NCAA bids, Utah 17. You go to Tulsa expecting to play in the NCAA Tournament at least once in your collegiate career. But only 12 schools have more NCAA bids without a Final Four appearance. Still, Street and Smith's 2005 ranking of college hoops program put Tulsa 59th.

Speaking of Tubby, he jumped off the carousel in Memphis.

https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/s...81536387637248

TubbyMemphis.jpg

UNLV's brand new coach is the leading candidate for the open Texas Tech position. I have Rebel Schadenfreude.

It's being reported that Beard has taken the Texas Tech job. Guys on the radio earlier today were wondering if by the end of the weekend, the Rebels would be without any coaches or any players. As of now, four players to go.