Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
There's another aspect to all this: *Some* women, *some* times, take being "hit on" as a type of compliment (depending on who it's coming from). I've heard women compare notes on "hit on" interactions in situations where I witnessed it, and the dude was just being friendly, in a completely inert way. Often the underlying tone seems to be "I'm desirable, too!"

I tend to be friendly, and talkative, and have learned *some* women from *some* other cultures can take that as an aggressive interaction.

I've tied to show how in the US, many guys genuinely respect women, not as sexual objects, but as peers, as colleagues whom have valuable input, with no other agenda involved. (Needless to say, I'm backing off that angle - the marketing on men supporting feminism isn't very good, right now.) Some foreign women walk down the hall with blinders on, no eye contact, their eyes don't deviate from the direct path ahead, essentially no eye movement. Basically a "virtual burqa". I'm extremely cautious not to leer, or anything like that. In the current environment, no eye contact seems like the safe route.

I suspect that being "hit on" often takes on different meaning over the years for different women... the same interaction having different meanings, over time.
My wife has been saying the same thing. There is a slippery slope her to be wary of where you can get to a point where a wink could be misconstrued as being over the line.