Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: March Madness 2017

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    If Arizona wants to give up Sean Miller we'd be happy to take him at Georgetown. Since he put Xavier on the map, that would be a nice fit. Arizona is an unremarkable little backwater that is lucky to be relevant since Lute left, and any rational person would expect them to decline substantially with another coaching change. Really, who does Arizona think it is. Before Lute, Arizona was nothing--nothing is not an exaggeration--and there's nothing about Tuscon or the U of A that is naturally attractive to prodigies of basketball, the most urban of our team sports. But rational is too much to expect of rabid fans, who, after all, have only found a substitute for religion. Fans are by and large ignorant.

This was the team that Miller inherited, sinking to its natural place:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E...asketball_team
    Arizona returning to a backwater would be the best of all possible worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    What prmpted that?
    Probably just tired of seeing stuff like this:

Last edited by chrisrenrut; 03-27-2017 at 04:25 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

If Arizona wants to give up Sean Miller we'd be happy to take him at Georgetown. Since he put Xavier on the map, that would be a nice fit. Arizona is an unremarkable little backwater that is lucky to be relevant since Lute left, and any rational person would expect them to decline substantially with another coaching change. Really, who does Arizona think it is. Before Lute, Arizona was nothing--nothing is not an exaggeration--and there's nothing about Tuscon or the U of A that is naturally attractive to prodigies of basketball, the most urban of our team sports. But rational is too much to expect of rabid fans, who, after all, have only found a substitute for religion. Fans are by and large ignorant.

This was the team that Miller inherited, sinking to its natural place:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E...asketball_team
    Speaking of the Hoyas, what are your thoughts on the JT3 firing? I heard on the radio out there that it's worthless to speculate on a replacement until Big John speaks on the matter. Haven't heard too many names for the job, but one name I've heard is Tommy Ammaker over at Harvard. That would be a fairly interesting hire.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    ..... I predict if UA doesn't get it done next year Miller is gone......

Pure insanity. He's been a solid coach for that program. If it was easy, then everyone would make the FF early in their career. Calhoun, Wooden, Boeheim and Few are just a couple of coaches off the top of my head that took a dozen years or more to reach that level. True they started from scratch, but, I'm not altogether certain its not just as difficult to replicate the success of a legend as it is to begin at ground zero. Exercise some patience Wildcats....he'll get there.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Arizona returning to a backwater would be the best of all possible worlds.
    Odds say that's where they're headed after Miller. Universal constants say that's where they belong. They hit the jackpot twice in a row. Not likely that it will happen three times in a row. Look at Arizona State. That's reality, and UA has less going for it than ASU. Tucson/UA is a dump. Albuquerque is nicer by far. Arizona fans are the most ignorant, myopic, falsely prideful on the planet. They make BYU fans seem like salt of the earth. Miller needs to go to Georgetown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Down to S. Carolina!

I hate Oregon and UNC, but I hate BYU more than anything. I want Gonzaga out mostly because BYU wants them to be successful.

I don't think the gamecocks have much of a shot, but anythng can happen in college basketball.

So I guess the rooting ranking goes:

1. S Carolina
    2. Oregon
    3. Gonzaga
    4. UNC

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Down to S. Carolina!

I hate Oregon and UNC, but I hate BYU more than anything. I want Gonzaga out mostly because BYU wants them to be successful.

I don't think the gamecocks have much of a shot, but anythng can happen in college basketball.

So I guess the rooting ranking goes:

1. S Carolina
    2. Oregon
    3. Gonzaga
    4. UNC

Swap 3 and 4 and I'm with you.

Few is a great coach. Not only does he build a great program in nowhere, he knows how to reconstitute his team and puzzle out a win when the stakes are high as can be.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Few is a great coach. Not only does he build a great program in nowhere, he knows how to reconstitute his team and puzzle out a win when the stakes are high as can be.
    Concur.

Oregon fans should be heart sick. So many chances, far from a well played game. How many crucial plays and shots did they botch. And they lose by 1. Not boxing out on two four missed free throws at the end.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Brooks and Dorsey picked a bad day to play poorly, on the same day. Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Brooks and Dorsey picked a bad day to play poorly, on the same day. Sigh...
    March ended yesterday.

The Oregon Trail.

UNC laid every opportunity at their feet. The odds of missing four in a row like that combined with two offensive rebounds...

Mark Few is a great coach but he is going to be insufferable if he wins a championship. I say that as a proud internet jackal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    UNC laid every opportunity at their feet. The odds of missing four in a row like that combined with two offensive rebounds...

Mark Few is a great coach but he is going to be insufferable if he wins a championship. I say that as a proud internet jackal.
    Oregon got lucky many times during close games this season. Luck ran out last night. I will not miss Brooks.

Gonzaga is playing against its first very good opponent since last Fall when they played Arizona. Amazing to make it to a title game without beating anything better than a 4-seed. UNC has better guards and bigs, but Gonzaga has more depth.

Wichita State is moving to the AAC. If the Zags win the national title, I think the Pac-12 should take a long look.

My buddy t work who grew up in Eugene grabbed a couple $500 tickets and went down to Phoenix for the weekend. I haven't had the heart to reach out to him this morning. Had he's attendance not come at my expense having to cover for him at a work event yesterday, I'd be more sympathetic.

Fitting that the officials should dominate the title game in this tournament. They were the real story of March this year.

I am sad that it's over. But on the bright side, we no longer have to see those awful commercials with Greg Gumble and the wedding singer from the Hangover. I haven't been able to get that Aerosmith song out of my head for 3 weeks.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Fitting that the officials should dominate the title game in this tournament. They were the real story of March this year.

Ugh, what a forgettable tournament. No compelling stories. No great teams. No dominant performances. Throw in the fact that Utah's program stuck in mud -- at best -- if not imploding before our eyes. Is college basketball dying the slow, grisly death that pro basketball has already died? The officiating.....I can't take the officiating any longer. From jr. jazz to professionals, it's truly horrible at every level. To stop down games for five minutes to figure out who's finger last touched the ball -- unwatchable. It's time for college baseball to take its rightful place behind football. The CWS.....great games, great atmosphere, great food, and decent officiating.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Ugh, what a forgettable tournament. No compelling stories. No great teams. No dominant performances. Throw in the fact that Utah's program stuck in mud -- at best -- if not imploding before our eyes. Is college basketball dying the slow, grisly death that pro basketball has already died? The officiating.....I can't take the officiating any longer. From jr. jazz to professionals, it's truly horrible at every level. To stop down games for five minutes to figure out who's finger last touched the ball -- unwatchable. It's time for college baseball to take its rightful place behind football. The CWS.....great games, great atmosphere, great food, and decent officiating.
    I kind of miss the days of a controversial call. Someone suggested changing it so an official has 30 seconds to overturn a call on video review. If they can't determine it in that time the call on the floor stands.

They need to let them play more too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I kind of miss the days of a controversial call. Someone suggested changing it so an official has 30 seconds to overturn a call on video review. If they can't determine it in that time the call on the floor stands.

They need to let them play more too.

Guys like Karnowski are always going to be tough to officiate. He probably doesn't get as many calls as he should, but on the other hand also knocks the crap out of guys down on the block. That's gotta be a tough line for officials. I was actually impressed with Meeks' defense last night on the Gonzaga bigs...I think it would be wise for Larry to send the tape to Collette so that he knows he doesn't have to fall down every single time.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I thought of Majerus as I watched Few lose last night. He was so close, and he may never be there again.

As for officiating, it has always been a weakness of basketball as a sport. The game was never intended to be about fouls, but that's what it is now. Over and over again last night, Williams-Goss lowered his head, drove the lane with no intention of getting a good shot, threw himself into the defense, and went to the line. That's what the best players in basketball do, and that's why the game is in a tough spot. You have guards averaging 20+ per game simply because they are able to create contact. It's not entertaining, but it's absolutely the right way to play. I have no solution to suggest.

I thought of Majerus as I watched Few lose last night. He was so close, and he may never be there again.

As for officiating, it has always been a weakness of basketball as a sport. The game was never intended to be about fouls, but that's what it is now. Over and over again last night, Williams-Goss lowered his head, drove the lane with no intention of getting a good shot, threw himself into the defense, and went to the line. That's what the best players in basketball do, and that's why the game is in a tough spot. You have guards averaging 20+ per game simply because they are able to create contact. It's not entertaining, but it's absolutely the right way to play. I have no solution to suggest.
    I had a similar thought as well. Coming back the following year as a 2, only to get bounced by Wally World. You could certainly see a similar scenario play out for the Zags next year if Collins goes pro.

One of the refs was Pac-12's own Verne Harris. I was surprised to find him one of 3 best NCAA refs.?

Early poll has AZ ranked #1 next year in part because Ristic, who they recruited over Poltl, is coming back for his senior year.

Oregon also in top 10, but depends on Brooks, Dorsey, & Bell coming back. Watching the tourney Dorsey looked like the best potential pro--Brooks could do nothing against No Car bigger players. But it would be nice to see him gone---to Europe or D-league probably.

One Average Moment

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    One of the refs was Pac-12's own Verne Harris. I was surprised to find him one of 3 best NCAA refs.?

Early poll has AZ ranked #1 next year in part because Ristic, who they recruited over Poltl, is coming back for his senior year.

Oregon also in top 10, but depends on Brooks, Dorsey, & Bell coming back. Watching the tourney Dorsey looked like the best potential pro--Brooks could do nothing against No Car bigger players. But it would be nice to see him gone---to Europe or D-league probably.
    FWIW...Don't know if this is true. My understanding is that there are no "Pac 12" refs in men's basketball. There are refs who work in Pac 12 and other conferences, depending on assignments and other factors. That said, still didn't care for those refs.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    FWIW...Don't know if this is true. My understanding is that there are no "Pac 12" refs in men's basketball. There are refs who work in Pac 12 and other conferences, depending on assignments and other factors. That said, still didn't care for those refs.
    Every conference in the western US uses the same refs. The conferences have formed an alliance of sorts instead of each conference having their own.

There have been several articles suggesting refs are burning out because they're voluntarily working so many games. Officials often get paid $2,000 to $3,000 a game. The more you ref the more you make.

David Hall refs a lot of Utah games. According to bbstate.com he called 93 games this season. That's a lot of travel. And a lot of money. There are a lot of officials at that site showing 70+ games called.

If the Zags win the national title, I think the Pac-12 should take a long look.
    I'm afraid you're serious. Why would the PAC ever do that? Why arm those guys with any more than they already have?

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    I'm afraid you're serious. Why would the PAC ever do that? Why arm those guys with any more than they already have?
    I don't think it would be good for Utah at all, and I don't want it to happen, but I think it would be good for the Pac-12. It would bring in more money (which is what this is all about), and it would keep western talent in the conference. On the flip side, a WCC team winning a national title looks bad for the Pac-12.

That said, Gonzaga did not win the title. The Pac-12 would have to be completely certain they are adding a true, long-term power, so it would need to be a national champion Gonzaga.

The Big East did this with Butler, Xavier and Creighton. The situation was quite different, but the result is that the Big East survived realignment to remain a true power.