Thread: The health care debate thread.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    one quibble... the best paying insurance is auto... meaning you get in an accident that requires health care due to the accident they pay 100% of charges.
    Perhaps. But that is a rare instance. I worked in billing for 7 clinics in the hospital, all of which scheduled multiple inpatient stays a week, never once dealt with auto insurance.

Even in the ER it's somewhat uncommon. I investigate a lot of accidents. Maybe 10% require treatment at a hospital

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Perhaps. But that is a rare instance. I worked in billing for 7 clinics in the hospital, all of which scheduled multiple inpatient stays a week, never once dealt with auto insurance.

Even in the ER it's somewhat uncommon. I investigate a lot of accidents. Maybe 10% require treatment at a hospital
    about as often as prison care woudn't you say?
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    about as often as prison care woudn't you say?
    Nope. I saw prisoners several times a week. They were quite common.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Nope. I saw prisoners several times a week. They were quite common.
    In California, state prison inmates get best of the best healthcare carte blanche. During the 5 years of my wife's cancer treatments I personally witnessed this. This was at Moores Cancer Center at UCSD, a top 50 center in the U.S. There were one or more of these prisoners EVERY time we went.

Note that each inmate was transported by two paramedics; and two state guards, all of whom would accompany said inmates during every minute of every hour at the center. I can only imagine the cost. I spoke to many of the guards and paramedics. They were pretty put off that the inmates were afforded this level of care. Many of the prisoners were convicted murderers.
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

The health care debate thread.

Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ute Fan View Post
    In California, state prison inmates get best of the best healthcare carte blanche. During the 5 years of my wife's cancer treatments I personally witnessed this. This was at Moores Cancer Center at UCSD, a top 50 center in the U.S. There were one or more of these prisoners EVERY time we went.

Note that each inmate was transported by two paramedics; and two state guards, all of whom would accompany said inmates during every minute of every hour at the center. I can only imagine the cost. I spoke to many of the guards and paramedics. They were pretty put off that the inmates were afforded this level of care. Many of the prisoners were convicted murderers.
    In Utah all care for both the Utah State Prison and Salt Lake County Jail occurs at The University of Utah Medical Center.

Now, they do take much of the basic care to the prison, and they do some consuls via video.

The jail has nurses and doctors (on call), but serious things do come to the hospital.

Inmates who are transported have 2 guards. This changed as I was leaving due to Curtis Algier killing his guard at a U clinic and leading SLCPD on a chase after.

There are no medics.

Healthcare for people accused or convicted is an interesting issue I see from the law enforcement side now. I have a lot to say, but can't.

Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ute Fan View Post

Unfortunately, the mental health care in the California correctional systems is abysmal. I believe that the Los Angeles County Jail (?) is one of the largest mental health care providers in the USA and its mental health care system is notoriously bad. The MH care at the Utah State prison is inadequate and often when inmates act out, and the behavior is a product of their MI, they are placed in 23 hour lockdown at Uintah 1 and receive minimal mental health treatment. The Uintah units are the most secure units at the Draper prison.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

10 Ways Obamacare Isn’t Working

1. WAIVERS: The Administration established a legally questionable program of temporary waivers when firms announced they were considering dropping coverage rather than comply with the law’s costly requirements. Even though more than half of the recipients of these waivers were members of union plans, many union leaders are still not satisfied—they want another waiver, to receive taxpayer-funded subsidies for their employer-provided coverage.

2. ILLEGAL TAXPAYER SUBSIDIES FOR CONGRESS: Last month, following heavy lobbying from leaders in both parties—and an intervention from President Obama himself—the Administration issued a rule regarding coverage for Members of Congress and their staffs, who will retain their taxpayer-funded insurance subsidies in the exchanges. Unfortunately, as previous research has documented, the Administration had no legal basis on which to make this ruling.

3. EMPLOYER MANDATE: In July, the Administration announced it would not enforce Obamacare’s employer mandate until 2015, effectively granting big business a one-year delay. This action came despite language in Section 1514(d) of the law requiring employers to act “beginning after December 31, 2013,” and despite the fact that hard-working Americans are not getting a delay from the other harmful effects of Obamacare.

4. PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS: Immediately after Obamacare was signed, Democratic staffers admitted that under the law as written, insurers “still would be able to refuse new coverage to children because of a pre-existing medical problem.” The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) took it upon itself to issue regulations prohibiting plans from turning down such applicants three years earlier than the law required. As a result, insurers stopped offering child-only plans in 17 states, fearing that only parents of sick children would apply for insurance coverage.

5. OUT-OF-POCKET CAPS: Section 1302(c)(1) of the law includes caps on out-of-pocket expenses and explicitly states they are to take effect “beginning in 2014.” But earlier this year, the Administration delayed these new caps from taking effect as scheduled. What’s more, as The New York Times reported, the Administration made this unilateral change not by issuing rules subject to public comment, but by posting a series of questions and answers on an obscure website.

6. BASIC HEALTH PLAN: This government-run health plan for people above the Medicaid income level was created in Section 1331 of Obamacare as a way to promote “state flexibility,” but the Administration unilaterally delayed it for one year. One Democratic Senator criticized the Administration for this move, saying it does not “live up” to the law as written.

7. TAX DISCLOSURES: Section 9002 of Obamacare requires employers to report the value of workers’ health insurance on W-2 filings, effective for all “taxable years after December 31, 2010.” But the Administration unilaterally delayed this requirement, and employers did not have to report these data until after the 2012 presidential election.

8. HONOR SYSTEM: In July, the Administration announced it was placing most Americans on the “honor system” when it came to verifying their income and access to employer-provided health coverage. As prior research has documented, this move, coupled with loopholes written into the law, gives many Americans a strong incentive to “game the system” and obtain more in taxpayer-funded insurance subsidies than they should actually receive.

9. PRIVACY: Former HHS General Counsel Michael Astrue, when serving as Commissioner of Social Security earlier this year, complained strongly within the Administration about the security risks posed by Obamacare’s new data hub. However, the Administration overrode his objections, using what Astrue called “an absurdly broad interpretation of the Privacy Act’s ‘routine use’ exemption.”

10. TOBACCO PENALTIES: Section 1201 of the law allows insurance companies to charge smokers up to 50 percent more in premiums. But due to a “computer glitch,” those penalties will be limited for “at least a year”—meaning non-smokers may have to pay more as a result.

In the end, Nancy Pelosi was wrong. Congress passed the bill, but we still don’t know what’s in it—because the Obama Administration keeps changing rules and ignoring the law. That’s why Congress should use its power of the purse and stop a single dime from being spent on this unworkable, unfair, and unpopular measure.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I eagerly await this unbiased institution'a follow up article on 10 ways it is helping.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I eagerly await this unbiased institution'a follow up article on 10 ways it is helping.
    Is there even a single way this horrendous law is helping? If it's so damn terrific, why does Obama keep postponing bits and pieces of it - which he has no constitutional power to do - rather than sing its praises in its entirety?
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    Is there even a single way this horrendous law is helping? If it's so damn terrific, why does Obama keep postponing bits and pieces of it - which he has no constitutional power to do - rather than sing its praises in its entirety?
    Millions of people having health insurance and not going to emergency rooms for health care is a great start.

Politically he has to because he is getting zero help from the Republican Party and their minions. Maybe if they shifted their position to worrying about their country over worrying about their party, we would have a better solution.

Millions of people having health insurance and not going to emergency rooms for health care is a great start.

Politically he has to because he is getting zero help from the Republican Party and their minions. Maybe if they shifted their position to worrying about their country over worrying about their party, we would have a better solution.
    Do you really think the ACA will provide universal coverage? I don't.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Do you really think the ACA will provide universal coverage? I don't.
    No. I don't know that it is designed to. But it is designed to give people opportunities to be insured that they may not normally have.

This is the thing I don't understand. We pay for those without insurance one way or another. Paying for healthcare via the emergency room seems like the least efficient option, and is one of the factors that has heavily contributed to spiraling healthcare costs. I understand the so-called 'capitalist' position on this, but the markets didn't resolve the issue before the spiraling costs of healthcare forced the nation to do address the problem. This debate has been going on for longer than most of us have lived, yet there were no signs that a purely market-based solution was ever going to come to the table. So here we are, with an imperfect plan, but one that can be slowly fixed into something workable.

And the government shutdown is just going to hurt the GOP. Have fun with that.
    (thank you, Jarid, for paying for the server space to host this post. Love, Robin)

This is appropriate for this thread.

SNL Obamacare Cold Open

--Yeats

Obama doesn't have the power to do what he wants with the law. But then, he hasn't ever shown much respect for the Constitution, so I don't know why I would expect anything different from him.

And do you really think that Obama was worrying about the country when he pushed this POS law? Remember his words to the GOP? I paraphrase "elections have consequences. I won. You lost."

Again, if this thing is so great, why has Obama exempted himself, Congress, his union pals, etc., from it?
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Obama doesn't have the power to do what he wants with the law. But then, he hasn't ever shown much respect for the Constitution, so I don't know why I would expect anything different from him.

And do you really think that Obama was worrying about the country when he pushed this POS law? Remember his words to the GOP? I paraphrase "elections have consequences. I won. You lost."

Again, if this thing is so great, why has Obama exempted himself, Congress, his union pals, etc., from it?
    None of this is about the law itself. Do you have anything constructive to add?

The problem is this law did nothing to reform health care. All it did was change how we pay for it. It accomplished this by spreading the costs around a bit more. Consequently, people are using their influence to exclude themselves from the increased costs.

--Yeats