Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bravo UofU!

Bravo UofU!

The U also performed their first living liver transplant yesterday

And a U professor has developed a new lens which greatly reduces thickness for camera and eye glass lenses

http://dailyutahchronicle.com/2016/0...n-flat-lenses/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice recognition as a school that's both a football and a basketball performer.

https://www.facebook.com/CanuckUte/p...53378185876003

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

World's Largest Easter Egg.

Happy Easter!

Utah Teams Receive NCAA Public Recognition for APR

"Four Utah Athletics teams have been publicly recognized by the NCAA for posting a multi-year Academic Progress Rate (APR) in the top 10 percent of all athletic teams in the country. Helping was Runnin' Ute Brandon Taylor who was recently named Pac-12 Scholar-Athlete of the Year."

http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041416aaa.html

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Utah Teams Receive NCAA Public Recognition for APR

"Four Utah Athletics teams have been publicly recognized by the NCAA for posting a multi-year Academic Progress Rate (APR) in the top 10 percent of all athletic teams in the country. Helping was Runnin' Ute Brandon Taylor who was recently named Pac-12 Scholar-Athlete of the Year."

http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041416aaa.html
    I noticed that Utah Rep Dan McCay opened his Twitter back up. I starkly tweeted this to him and said "audit this"

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I noticed that Utah Rep Dan McCay opened his Twitter back up. I starkly tweeted this to him and said "audit this"
    :applause:
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

U biology professor Jim Ehleringer was named to the National Academy of Sciences, bringing the U's total to 12. This is a tremendous honor for Dr. Ehleringer and for the U.
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 05-09-2016 at 05:18 PM.

The U's chemistry department has their first ninja:

http://chem.utah.edu/news/chem-ninja.php

Bravo UofU!

A New Way to Nip AIDS in the Bud

When new AIDS virus particles bud from an infected cell, an enzyme named protease activates to help the viruses mature and infect more cells. That’s why modern AIDS drugs control the disease by inhibiting protease.

Now, University of Utah researchers found a way to turn protease into a double-edged sword: They showed that if they delay the budding of new HIV particles, protease itself will destroy the virus instead of helping it spread. They say that might lead, in about a decade, to new kinds of AIDS drugs with fewer side effects. ...
    http://unews.utah.edu/a-new-way-to-nip-aids-in-the-bud/

--Yeats

Bravo UofU!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I JUST came here to post that very photo. I love it!
    Last edited by LA Ute; 06-22-2016 at 05:44 AM.

--Yeats

Bravo UofU!

I JUST came here to post that very photo. I love it!
    Several other nice shots of him wearing the Block U. The only thing better than a picture of the Dalai Lama in Ute gear is 2 pictures of the Dalai Lama in Ute gear.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 06-22-2016 at 05:44 AM.

Several other nice shots of him wearing the Block U. The only thing better than a picture of the Dalai Lama in Ute gear is 2 pictures of the Dalai Lama in Ute gear.
    I heard that last sentence in the voice of Carl Spackler.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

that pic aligned my Chakras

CBS Sports ranks Utah the #10 athletic program in the country last year.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-foo...me-in-2015-16/

This is interesting. The associate dean of academic affairs and research at BYU's law school moves to the U's law school.

http://www.law.utah.edu/news/new-at-...ndersen-jones/

Good for her. A big step up!

--Yeats

This is interesting. The associate dean of academic affairs and research at BYU's law school moves to the U's law school.

http://www.law.utah.edu/news/new-at-...ndersen-jones/

Good for her. A big step up!
    She probably wanted to do some legal research for someone other than the sutherland institute.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    She probably wanted to do some legal research for someone other than the sutherland institute.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    With a name like RonNell Andersen Jones I knew she must have Utah origins, by the way.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    CBS Sports ranks Utah the #10 athletic program in the country last year.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-foo...me-in-2015-16/
    And...eight of the programs ranked above Utah have athletics budgets over $100 million.

Fire Chris Hill!

--Yeats

Apparently the person that is falling on the golden sword for plagiarizing Melania's speech the other night is a Utah grad! https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...lanias-speech/

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Apparently the person that is falling on the golden sword for plagiarizing Melania's speech the other night is a Utah grad! https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...lanias-speech/
    Looks like they used political speechwriting pros at first, then Melania involved someone with no such experience. Amateur hour. Would never happen on an organized presidential campaign at this level.

--Yeats

Looks like they used political speechwriting pros at first, then Melania involved someone with no such experience. Amateur hour. Would never happen on an organized presidential campaign at this level.
    I think people are still trying to verify if this person even exists. Still waiting for Donald Baron to return their calls.

This is pretty cool.

Mormon leader Thomas S. Monson attends ceremony naming historic Utah building in his honor

The U. now owns the old LDS Business College building on South Temple and it will be called the Thomas S. Monson Center:

http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/fait...monson-attends

For nearly half a century, the historic Wall Mansion, at 411 E. South Temple in Salt Lake City, was home to LDS Business College. The overhauled building now becomes the Thomas S. Monson Center, the U.'s "embassy to the community" and home to the school's Kem C. Gardner Policy Institute.
    That's fitting, President Henry B. Eyring, Monson's first counselor in the LDS Church's governing First Presidency, said in a short speech. "Just as President Monson has reached out to people from every background and walk of life, this center will draw individuals and organizations from the local and global community to engage their minds and hearts in creating ideas and programs that change lives, communities and nations for the better."

--Yeats

My wife attended the ceremony. She said pres. Eyeing talked about how much Pres Monson loved his "beloved " U of U and esp. the bus school. I didn't know this, but he apparently thought in the business school for several years at least

This is pretty cool.

Mormon leader Thomas S. Monson attends ceremony naming historic Utah building in his honor

The U. now owns the old LDS Business College building on South Temple and it will be called the Thomas S. Monson Center:

http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/fait...monson-attends

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]
    Love this.

As Monson exited the event to get into his car, he waved to the crowd and, in an ode to the U. fight song, said to all within earshot: "I am a Utah man, sir."
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    My wife attended the ceremony. She said pres. Eyeing talked about how much Pres Monson loved his "beloved " U of U and esp. the bus school. I didn't know this, but he apparently thought in the business school for several years at least
    He taught there too.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    He taught there too.

Hopefully he thought while he taught.

Bravo UofU!

Hearts were gladdened, tears were shed, and grades were posted for all the world to see...

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Hearts were gladdened, tears were shed, and grades were posted.

...and funds were donated.

--Yeats