Page 96 of 114 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,880 of 3412

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

This isn't your grandpa's Gonzaga team. It may have more talent than the Pac 12's best.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    This isn't your grandpa's Gonzaga team. It may have more talent than the Pac 12's best.
    You just know they're going to lose in the second round of the tournament after playing zero good teams all year.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    You just know they're going to lose in the second round of the tournament after playing zero good teams all year.
    They made it to the Elite 8 last year after annihilating us (probably our most embarrassing loss ever in the NCAA tournament all things considered). No?

My point is that this Gonzaga team is different. They've added some serous future NBA talent to last year's team. This is not just a team feasting on a patsy schedule. They could win the Pac 12.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 02-03-2017 at 12:13 AM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Nigel Williams-Goss has been a huge pickup for them. I didn't understand why he would leave UW, but it is obvious as that program is such a mess right now.

NWG is having a tremendous year for the Zags.

My point is that this Gonzaga team is different. They've added some serous future NBA talent to last year's team. This is not just a team feasting on a patsy schedule. They could win the Pac 12.
    I guess my point is that, good or not, they will enter the tournament untested. That can't be a good thing for them.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Nigel Williams-Goss has been a huge pickup for them. I didn't understand why he would leave UW, but it is obvious as that program is such a mess right now.

NWG is having a tremendous year for the Zags.
    I don't know why any blue chip recruit would go waste his time in Romar's program. But they keep doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

I don't know why any blue chip recruit would go waste his time in Romar's program. But they keep doing it.

Even crazier, he was originally committed to UNLV. What an unbelievable waste of his talent.

Mark Few on BYU ...

"The fans there look at sports as a way of showing people how great their way of life [the Mormon religion] is and to beat a team like ours almost becomes a basketball crusade.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.511a41b926af

I think Mark Few just made the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Mark Few on BYU ...

"The fans there look at sports as a way of showing people how great their way of life [the Mormon religion] is and to beat a team like ours almost becomes a basketball crusade.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.511a41b926af

I think Mark Few just made the list.
    That's an amazingly perceptive statement about BYU. He's going to be hated in Provo now, but he's dead on.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    That's an amazingly perceptive statement about BYU. He's going to be hated in Provo now, but he's dead on.

And Utah fans are different how? You share the same heritage; the same blood courses through your veins. Utah fans are the mirror image of BYU fans. It comes with the location, wherever you call home—or once called home—along the Wasatch Front. It's remarkable how you fail to see it

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    And Utah fans are different how? You share the same heritage; the same blood courses through your veins. Utah fans are the mirror image of BYU fans. It comes with the location, wherever you call home—or once called home—along the Wasatch Front. It's remarkable how you fail to see it
    Utah fans viewing winning games as demonstration of how great our way of life is? I can honestly say that has never dawned on me.

However, how many times have we heard BYU fans claim BYU athletics are a missionary arm of the church? BYU is unique in this regard and perhaps the only program on earth that believes that. But if true it is the most expensive and least effective missionary too in the history of the church.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Utah fans viewing winning games as demonstration of how great our way of life is? I can honestly say that has never dawned on me.

However, how many times have we heard BYU fans claim BYU athletics are a missionary arm of the church? BYU is unique in this regard and perhaps the only program on earth that believes that. But if true it is the most expensive and least effective missionary too in the history of the church.

Don't be disingenuous. Of course it has. Otherwise you wouldn't have responded. BYU isn't unique—Utah athletics certainly doesn't mind national media playing up the fact that one, more or several Ute football or basketball players, on any given team, in any given year are returned missionaries?

Seriously.

Don't be disingenuous. Of course it has. Otherwise you wouldn't have responded. BYU isn't unique—Utah athletics certainly doesn't mind national media playing up the fact that one, more or several Ute football or basketball players, on any given team, in any given year are returned missionaries?

Seriously.
    http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...n-control.html

He consulted three general authorities of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints — President Henry B. Eyring, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland and Elder Cecil O. Samuelson, the BYU president. "Is this a church calling?" he asked them, referring to the offer of the job at BYU. Each assured him it wasn't.

He drove to Provo and toured the campus, trying to get a feel for what he should do. He sought answers in an LDS temple. He visited his father's grave ...

He is religious, but doesn't — in his words — "wear it on my sleeve." He reads scriptures nightly and teaches elders quorum on Sundays after years of teaching the Young Men classes. He speaks at firesides almost monthly, but prefers to let his players have the experience. There are nearly 50 returned LDS missionaries on his team.
    He found his "calling" at Utah. I think it's great, and I am proud we share the same blood (figuratively).

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...n-control.html

He found his "calling" at Utah. I think it's great, and I am proud we share the same blood (figuratively).
    Quite a stretch there from what Mark Few said, to Whittingham seeking what he should do spiritually. I've done the same, which doesn't mean my profession is some crusade like BYU fans to prove their way of life. You are just being silly.

I think it cuts because the astute observation came from someone outside of the community and religion.

There aren't anywhere near 50 returned missionaries on the team now. This year's class includes exactly one.

well if anyone has a pulse on the University of Utah its clearly going to be a resident of Canada referencing an 8 year old newspaper article

Seriously.
    I do not believe you're this blind.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I do not believe you're this blind.
    Absolutely. Just like the fans of the "School of the Prophets."

Quite a stretch there from what Mark Few said, to Whittingham seeking what he should do spiritually. I've done the same, which doesn't mean my profession is some crusade like BYU fans to prove their way of life. You are just being silly.

I think it cuts because the astute observation came from someone outside of the community and religion.

Few's comments were a compliment. Nothing cutting about them. Dave Rose and Mark Few have been good friends for a long time. And that's why this particular segment of this thread is so "revealing."
    Last edited by tooblue; 02-04-2017 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    well if anyone has a pulse on the University of Utah its clearly going to be a resident of Canada referencing an 8 year old newspaper article
    LOL so, Whit is no longer Mormon, and your defensive coordinator isn't a returned missionary. What's more, the Utah football team doesn't hold "tailored" religion classes for football players (at least as of 2015):

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...l-players.html
    Last edited by tooblue; 02-04-2017 at 11:24 AM.

Few's comments were a compliment. Nothing cutting about them. Dave Rose and Mark Few have been good friends for a long time. And that's why this particular segment of this thread is so "revealing."
    You've dodged my comments point. I never said what Few said was an insult (but it also wasn't a compliment) rather the cut comes from someone else realizing that for BYU fans it is more than just a game and so it isn't just irrational BYU haters saying it.

It obviously cuts because you are quickly here to defend it trying to claim that Utah is the same way.

Just to be clear, I have never once thought, nor am I aware of any Utah fan who has thought a Utah win will teach the world about our great way of life. Nor have I thought it might convince someone to join the LDS church despite an LDS coach or numerous LDS players. I have mocked BYUs thinking that way by saying that if athletics is a missionary arm of the church, Utah is doing a better job at it than BYU. That is in terms of respectability, success, sportsmanship and scandal. But that was mostly just to tweak guys like you.

I never said what Few said was an insult (but it also wasn't a compliment) rather the cut comes from someone else realizing that for BYU fans it is more than just a game and so it isn't just irrational BYU haters saying it.

It obviously cuts because you are quickly here to defend it trying to claim that Utah is the same way.

Just to be clear, I have never once thought, nor am I aware of any Utah fan who has thought a Utah win will teach the world about our great way of life. Nor have I thought it might convince someone to join the LDS church despite an LDS coach or numerous LDS players.
    Ding-ding-ding-ding-ding!

--Yeats

You've dodged my comments point. I never said what Few said was an insult (but it also wasn't a compliment) rather the cut comes from someone else realizing that for BYU fans it is more than just a game and so it isn't just irrational BYU haters saying it.

Just to be clear, I have never once thought, nor am I aware of any Utah fan who has thought a Utah win will teach the world about our great way of life. Nor have I thought it might convince someone to join the LDS church despite an LDS coach or numerous LDS players. I have mocked BYUs thinking that way by saying that if athletics is a missionary arm of the church, Utah is doing a better job at it than BYU. That is in terms of respectability, success, sportsmanship and scandal. But that was mostly just to tweak guys like you.

I didn't start the commenting. I'm just making an astute observation: that this cuts so deep for Utah fans, precisely because they are cut from the same cloth, and that is why they couldn't resist commenting. The proof is in the pudding. I know who I am. There is no pretence. I don't have a problem with Mark Few's comments. I get that he gets it on some level ... and that the writer of the article, driven by an agenda of some kind included that particular quote. BYU is what it is.

Your other points are infinitely arguable. Predicated on perception and fluid definitions. The game of lawyers. What's more, all of it is cyclical. Abstractly, in the end, due to a lack of self-wareness I guess. We are all losers like poor Lola:

Fight on Utes ... Utah: The School of the Prophets, and the NEW Alabama.

astute
    Sometimes I wonder if tooblue is intentionally vague and incoherent when he trolls. Is that part of his schtick? I think I've decided that he's an artist, and this is just the best his right brain can do.

Astute. Love it.

Everyone knows that when byu wins in sports the church becomes even more truthier.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if tooblue is intentionally vague and incoherent when he trolls. Is that part of his schtick? I think I've decided that he's an artist, and this is just the best his right brain can do.

Astute. Love it.
    Not sure if you noticed it. Let an artist's brain point it out: astute. Love it. I like your avatar by the way: did an accountant or lawyerly mind make that? lol

I like your avatar by the way: did an accountant or lawyerly mind make that? lol
    I didn't make it. I just got it off the internet.

And Utah fans are different how?
    We don't rely on sports victories to validate our religious beliefs..?

Not for the first time, but I have no idea what you are talking about.

*Note: This is my first comment in this particular segment of this thread.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    We don't rely on sports victories to validate our religious beliefs..?

Of course you do ... in your superiority, you are superior in every way. Especially, in how you live your "religion" with regards to your sports affiliation. Cause you're certainly not silly like those BYU fans. You live it better. The balance you strike is healthier ;-)