Page 20 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: The Basketball Recruiting Thread

From Light the U:

Two New Utah Hoops Offers

Posted: 29 Jul 2014 12:40 AM PDT

U
    tah coaches extended to new Utah hoops offers for the 2016 class today. The first was to Mitch Lightfoot, a 6’8″ forward from Gilbert, Arizona. Mitch has a pretty ridiculous 6’11″ wingspan, and it becomes pretty quickly apparent in the film below. The dude is “only” 6’8″ and it looks like he barely has to jump to throw the ball through the hoop.

Excited to say that I received a scholarship offer from the University of Utah #UTENATION #Pac12
    — Mitch Lightfoot (@Mitchlightfoot) July 28, 2014
    Follow @mitchlightfoot

The second offer was extended to Jonah Mathews, a 6’2″, 165 lb shooting guard out of Santa Monica. Jonah has great quickness and really good court vision. Check out his film below:

Jonah Matthews, Class of 2017 SG playing for Cal Supreme (CA), has picked up offers from Utah and Arizona State.
    — Pat Lawless (@GiveNGobball) July 28, 2014

Follow @jonah_mathews4

Check out all of the prospects Utah has scouted or shown interest on in the prospects page.

The post Two New Utah Hoops Offers appeared first on Light The U.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    From Light the U:

Two New Utah Hoops Offers

Posted: 29 Jul 2014 12:40 AM PDT

U
    tah coaches extended to new Utah hoops offers for the 2016 class today. The first was to Mitch Lightfoot, a 6’8″ forward from Gilbert, Arizona. Mitch has a pretty ridiculous 6’11″ wingspan, and it becomes pretty quickly apparent in the film below. The dude is “only” 6’8″ and it looks like he barely has to jump to throw the ball through the hoop.

Excited to say that I received a scholarship offer from the University of Utah #UTENATION #Pac12
    — Mitch Lightfoot (@Mitchlightfoot) July 28, 2014
    Follow @mitchlightfoot

The second offer was extended to Jonah Mathews, a 6’2″, 165 lb shooting guard out of Santa Monica. Jonah has great quickness and really good court vision. Check out his film below:

Jonah Matthews, Class of 2017 SG playing for Cal Supreme (CA), has picked up offers from Utah and Arizona State.
    — Pat Lawless (@GiveNGobball) July 28, 2014

Follow @jonah_mathews4

Check out all of the prospects Utah has scouted or shown interest on in the prospects page.

The post Two New Utah Hoops Offers appeared first on Light The U.
    Those guys do a great job tracking this stuff. Hard to know if these are comittable offers, but we will see!!

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Those guys do a great job tracking this stuff. Hard to know if these are comittable offers, but we will see!!
    Since verbal offers hold just as much weight as a verbal commit, none of this is binding. Athletes in any sport cannot receive a written scholarship offer until the August 1 that precedes their senior year of high school. The commitment process becomes a little more binding at that point -- certainly on the school's end.

Do we know if Lightfoot is LDS?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Since verbal offers hold just as much weight as a verbal commit, none of this is binding. Athletes in any sport cannot receive a written scholarship offer until the August 1 that precedes their senior year of high school. The commitment process becomes a little more binding at that point -- certainly on the school's end.
    Right. I absolutely get that. This is where we miss Tony Jones. There are a ton of these AAU folks out there who will turn "Hi, Im Larry K, it was fun to watch you today. Let's keep in touch." into "Utah offered!!" Tony was very good about finding out who the staff was looking at versus who they would take a verbal commitment from today.

Right. I absolutely get that. This is where we miss Tony Jones.
    That talent is wasted on the Jazz. Who cares who covers an NBA team? There is nothing to report on or investigate. Just an endless stream of losses and lottery picks.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    That talent is wasted on the Jazz. Who cares who covers an NBA team? There is nothing to report on or investigate. Just an endless stream of losses and lottery picks.
    Tony's an ideal college team beat writer. I think he will do great at the Jazz, but I agree. His skillset, IMO, is so much more suited to the college games. And that is not to tkae anything away from Piper or Goon, who I think do a great job. They are both miles ahead of where we were when Lya "Let me put up a blog about how I dont have as much access as I want" Wodraska was on the beat. I just think Tony recognized that hoops recruiting was starting to get verrrrry interesting for Utah and he jumped on any and every thing that came out in that regard. Admittedly, this summer has been less interesting than last. But still....

Larry K strikes again landing top instate prospect Makol Mawien!

The folks at lighttheu.com retweeted the City College of San Francisco saying that the entire Utah staff was in to see Gabe Bealer and to arrange a visit "soon". I have no idea who this kid is, what position he plays, what year he is, or anything, but if our whole staff is there, well, he might be a decent player.

City College of San Francisco.......hmmm..........never heard of it. Wonder if anyhting or anyone good has ever come out of there?

The folks at lighttheu.com retweeted the City College of San Francisco saying that the entire Utah staff was in to see Gabe Bealer and to arrange a visit "soon". I have no idea who this kid is, what position he plays, what year he is, or anything, but if our whole staff is there, well, he might be a decent player.

City College of San Francisco.......hmmm..........never heard of it. Wonder if anyhting or anyone good has ever come out of there?
    Looks like he must be a diamond in the rough, a 2-star JC guy:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/gabe-bealer

He has offers from UC Davis and CSU Bakersfield:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...-Bealer-129074

I need to know more before I get too excited.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Looks like he must be a diamond in the rough, a 2-star JC guy:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/gabe-bealer

He has offers from UC Davis and CSU Bakersfield:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...-Bealer-129074

I need to know more before I get too excited.
    Slight correction, those links are for the high-school version of Bealer. I don't see anything current out there, so who knows if he has a single offer. In any event, if the staff likes him then I'm all for them taking a look at him.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Slight correction, those links are for the high-school version of Bealer. I don't see anything current out there, so who knows if he has a single offer. In any event, if the staff likes him then I'm all for them taking a look at him.
    Entirely possible the offer list out of HS is so underwhelming because everyone knew he was an academic casualty and that there was no point offering a guy who had no choice but to go JUCO.

Gabe Bealer is a Ute, per the guys at lighttheu.com

Here is a video of him from 2013. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy9gyD7pKEo

Based on a quick search, according to some forum postings, Bealer may have had some health issues in high school. Who knows.

So, we are now overbooked for next year. So, one of the following is going on......

-Brandon Miller will be looking elsewhere when he gets home.

-The staff knows someone in particular will leave after this year. I doubt this and it would be dumb.

-The staff likes him better than a couple folks currently or scheduled to be on the roster and they dont care about negative mental aspects

So, we are now overbooked for next year. So, one of the following is going on......

-Brandon Miller will be looking elsewhere when he gets home.

-The staff knows someone in particular will leave after this year. I doubt this and it would be dumb.

-The staff likes him better than a couple folks currently or scheduled to be on the roster and they dont care about negative mental aspects
    Or Togiai is going on a mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Or Togiai is going on a mission.
    Guess it could happen, but matthew piper said he has no mission plans.

Guess it could happen, but matthew piper said he has no mission plans.
    What if he is playing two sports and is on football scholarship?

Matt Piper on the Gabe Bealer commit tonight. Looks interesting:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsut...-utes.html.csp

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    What if he is playing two sports and is on football scholarship?
    If he is doing that by rule he would have to be on a football (unless that's changed recently)

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    If he is doing that by rule he would have to be on a football (unless that's changed recently)
    Hmmm, i did not know this. That could certainly work then. This kid has high potential in either sport.

Hmmm, i did not know this. That could certainly work then. This kid has high potential in either sport.
    For two sport athletes the hierarchy is football>basketball>baseball>?????
    i think track might be next.

The guys at LightTheU are saying that Jermaine Haley has decommitted from Washington and that we are going after him hard. He is a 6'6 point guard who rivals ranks as the #52 recruit in the country. Class of 2016.

Speaking of the class of 2016, Lone Peaker and BYU commit Frank Jackson is reportedly looking around. His dad has said he remains committed to BYU, but they are also talking to other folks. The Brandon Gurney's of the world will tell cougar fans that he is a lock, but I get the feeling that the battle for him is far from over. I have not heard him linked to Utah (mostly Stanford and Arizona St.) but i have said before that he is the only lone peaker I have seen who I think could be "the man" on a legitimate contender. Right now, it sounds like he could be a thorn in our side no matter what, but with LArry K, you never know.

National Signing Day today….

According to Kyle Goon, both Gabe Bealer and Makol Mawein sent in their signed NLIs, and Noah Togiai, although he participated in a local signing party, will sign his this weekend.

First, the question I’ve posed to a few media members (and yet to get a reply) is this: what does signing a basketball NLI mean for possible dual-sport athletes like Noah? If he signs a basketball NLI, does that mean he can’t sign a football NLI?
    Dave Hammer, head of SL Metro (local AAU club), told me this: “I believe if he signs now he is ineligible to play freshman year in football. Sign in Feb if wanting to play football.”

Second, let’s look at what this incoming class means going forward:

We now have 14 (out of 13) scholarships for next year. This means one of three things:
    1. Brandon Miller never becomes a Ute
    2. We have someone on the current roster transfer
    3. Noah is either a mission kid or plays football (or uses a football scholarship)

14 scholarship players broken out by class for 2015:
    Freshman: Miller, Noah, Makol,
    Sophomores: Bealer, Poeltl, Chapman, Kuzma, I.Wright
    Juniors: Ogbe, Reyes,
    Seniors: Loveridge, Taylor, Tucker, Olsen

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    We now have 14 (out of 13) scholarships for next year. This means one of three things:
    3. Noah is either a mission kid or plays football (or uses a football scholarship)

Thoughts?
    My first thought is one I've shared many times before: I hope Noah becomes a two sport star. I think that would be a great story.

My other thought is about Eris Winder. I thought someone said he might become a scholarship player here. Not sure if that's really in the works, but it would crowd things even more.

Noah told the Tribune folks he's firmly choosing basketball and would sign this weekend when he and his family visit the U.

https://twitter.com/kylegoon/status/532596665925267458

According to Kyle Goon, both Gabe Bealer and Makol Mawein sent in their signed NLIs, and Noah Togiai, although he participated in a local signing party, will sign his this weekend.

First, the question I’ve posed to a few media members (and yet to get a reply) is this: what does signing a basketball NLI mean for possible dual-sport athletes like Noah? If he signs a basketball NLI, does that mean he can’t sign a football NLI?
    Dave Hammer, head of SL Metro (local AAU club), told me this: “I believe if he signs now he is ineligible to play freshman year in football. Sign in Feb if wanting to play football.”

Thoughts?
    Bealer will be a junior unless he redshirts for his JuCo this year (which isn't going to happen unless he gets hurt).

Why is basketball NLI day so quiet? It seems like for the football signing day I keep refreshing all day to see what drama occurs - flips, no shows, surprises, etc. For basketball, I never even know that it's happening until it's over.

Thoughts?
    Of your list of possible scenarios, im not sure how likely 1 is. Id say 2 is a given. Ive heard that noah is 100% not a mission kid (kyle goon)..... as for being a two sport star, it works ok if its baseball and football. Football and basketball is all but impossible.

Football and basketball is all but impossible.
    There are precedents.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Why is basketball NLI day so quiet? It seems like for the football signing day I keep refreshing all day to see what drama occurs - flips, no shows, surprises, etc. For basketball, I never even know that it's happening until it's over.
    Couple reasons.....

First, there are significantly fewer signings.

Second, basketball recruiting is much less dramatic, by nature. Once a player committs, basketball coaches back off. Its in poor taste to recruit a committed player, much much more so than in football.