Thread: Benevolent Sexism

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    I am sad you feel you don't have a place, or even less of one. But, maybe you are over-reacting. Your family is representative of your family first and foremost. Those dynamics are not the same when applied to a larger body on the whole. This past weekend we had similar discussions with my wife's family. You won't find a more devout or well-connected LDS family. However, they would be considered very progressive. Ultimately, church service is what we make it, regardless of some of the frustrations we must contend with. There is great work to be done in the church locally. I love getting lost in it. There is nothing else that quite compares with it. But, in order to embrace it, we also have to suffer it.
    I tried to caveat my "over-reaching" with my "If they are representative . . ." blahblahblah. I realize they may not be. It so happens that my self-selected online communities and IRL friends happen to be much more along the progressive spectrum than my family, so interactions with them tend to be somewhat shocking. The whole Pants Day nastiness seemed to come almost exclusively from the ultra-orthodox. Eh.
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
    I tried to caveat my "over-reaching" with my "If they are representative . . ." blahblahblah. I realize they may not be. It so happens that my self-selected online communities and IRL friends happen to be much more along the progressive spectrum than my family, so interactions with them tend to be somewhat shocking. The whole Pants Day nastiness seemed to come almost exclusively from the ultra-orthodox. Eh.
    To be sure, there is a segment of ultra orthodox. It's an important part of LDS culture for a variety of good and bad reasons. That culture will be replaced. I think the biggest issue is helping all people, myself included, come to the conclusion that it's better to worry less about what other people are doing and more about ourselves and what we are accountable for.
    Last edited by tooblue; 04-04-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Sometimes looking at things through the eyes of a different culture is revealing.

I have a good friend who is Navajo, who was in the Indian Placement Program, has done well educationally, is now a single parent looking for that right guy, in SLC.

Her mother and step-dad are still down on the Rez, are very much Navajo traditionalists. The Navajo culture is historically matriarchal, in fact gay men hold a special status, seen as above men, but below women. The word they use for gay is "becoming".

Anyway, my friend asked her mom one day if she ever wanted her step dad to marry her, since they've lived together for 25+ years. You know, back up the love by making that sacrifice, putting it in writing.

"Why would I want to do that? If we got married and he screwed up, it would be much harder to kick him out of the house".

Striking.

“Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Benevolent Sexism

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Stupid ideas, even more stupid to publish them. I'm not sure his career should be ruined for it but that's life.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-08-2017 at 12:33 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell