Thread: The Basketball Offseason 2017 thread

Hybrid View

This year's NBA draft is a crap shoot to predict, the mock drafts generally deviate starting with the 2nd pick.

But I've seen a couple of seemingly credible mock drafts having Kuzma going in the 1st round. One prediction had him going to the Lakers, after De'Aaron Fox is picked #2 by them. Another had Kuz getting picked before Frank Jackson.

Kuzma could be a pretty good "filler" type player - not going to dominate a game with his athleticism, but he can score, rebound and pass well enough to find a way to contribute off the bench. If he can find consistency in his long game, he could have a nice career.

I hope it happens, it would be great to see that skinny kid from Flint make his hometown and the Utes proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    This year's NBA draft is a crap shoot to predict, the mock drafts generally deviate starting with the 2nd pick.

But I've seen a couple of seemingly credible mock drafts having Kuzma going in the 1st round. One prediction had him going to the Lakers, after De'Aaron Fox is picked #2 by them. Another had Kuz getting picked before Frank Jackson.

Kuzma could be a pretty good "filler" type player - not going to dominate a game with his athleticism, but he can score, rebound and pass well enough to find a way to contribute off the bench. If he can find consistency in his long game, he could have a nice career.

I hope it happens, it would be great to see that skinny kid from Flint make his hometown and the Utes proud.
    I posted a while ago, before the combine, that I would bet any amount of money that he does not go higher than 35. I would still make that bet.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I posted a while ago, before the combine, that I would bet any amount of money that he does not go higher than 35. I would still make that bet.
    I'll bet you $20. Not because I think you're wrong. I certainly don't know, the mock drafts are all over the map.

My hunch/hope is based on a general tendency to underestimate the familiar. I don't think anyone would have guessed Jon Fanene would have gone from weed-wacker to most of a decade in the NFL. We all thought Steve Smith was talented, but crazy... certainly not a Hall of Fame level player. (Tons of other examples, both ways.)

Based on watching them play up close in Berkley, I would take Kuzma over Ivan Rabb. I think he's on the rise, I think he'll sneak into the 1st round.

If I'm wrong, I owe you $20. If I'm right, we all celebrate, no money involved.

I'm in.