PDA

View Full Version : What would the Utes record be this year with BYU's or USU's schedule.

UTEopia
08-23-2013, 03:58 PM
As I go through this, I have come to believe that the three Utah schools are about equal and they would pretty much have identical records if they played the others schedule. The only difference is that I have the home team winning the matchups against one another. I think this is the same last year. The home team won the matchups and I think the teams would have had identical records if they played each others schedule.

USU Schedule: I think all schools go 9-3 against that schedule with the home team winning the matchups between Utah, BYU and USU
USU Utah BYU
@ Utah - L W W
@ AFA - W W W
Weber St - W W W
@ USC - L L L
@ SJSU - W W W
BYU - W L L
Boise - L L L
@ UNM - W W W
Hawaii - W W W
@ UNLV - W W W
CSU - W W W
WYO - W W W

BYU Schedule: BYU goes 7-5, USU and Utah both go 7 - 5. I think BYU's defense will win them the UVA game and I don't think either the Utah or USU
BYU Utah USU
@ UVA - W W W
Texas - L L L
Utah - W L L
Middle Tennessee - W/W/W
@ USU - L W W
Ga Tech - W W W
@ Houston - W W W
Boise St. - L L L
@ Wisconsin - L L L
Idaho St. - W W W
@ Notre Dame - L L L
@ Nevada - W W W

Conversely, how would USU/BYU do against the Ute schedule:

Utah/USU/BYU
Utah W L
Weber St. W W W
OSU W L W
@BYU L W
UCLA W W W
Stanford L L L
@ UA L L L
@ USC L L L
ASU L L L
@ Oregon L L L
@ WSU W W W
CU W W W

Utah 6 - 6
USU 4 - 8
BYU 6 - 6

Utah
08-24-2013, 03:49 PM
How can anyone pick BYU over Utah? After the 54-10 debacle then last year with the facemask, Dre's dropped TD, two dropped picks, a punt blocked, and 7 forced fumbles, White out, etc I see a big separation between the two programs.

We will see, but I don't think this year will be close, especially with how most of the media has BYU and USU doing well and Utah having a losing season.

Utah
08-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Also, the last 20 years, Utah has won 70% of the time in Provo. BYU isn't "due". Utah is just better.

Scratch
08-24-2013, 03:59 PM
BYU's bye week before the game really makes me nervous.

LA Ute
08-24-2013, 04:12 PM
I really like the idea of 4 straight over BYU. We'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

UTEopia
08-24-2013, 04:35 PM
BYU's bye week before the game really makes me nervous.

This is what tells me that they are very focused on this game. A bye at this time of the year when they could have easily have scheduled differently?

sancho
08-24-2013, 04:52 PM
How can anyone pick BYU over Utah?

BYU has a few known, valuable players. Utah has a question mark at every single position group. Combine that with the game being in Provo, and I can understand why we are considered underdogs.

LA Ute
08-24-2013, 06:25 PM
This is what tells me that they are very focused on this game. A bye at this time of the year when they could have easily have scheduled differently?

Good point. I can see why they regard losing 4 straight to Utah as a very bad thing for their program. The last time we won 4 straight against them was...well, 2002-2005, so not that long ago. But a win this season would mean Utah is 9-3 over the last 12 games. Holmoe doesn't want to answer donors' questions about that. It's bad enough already.

sancho
08-24-2013, 08:01 PM
Good point. I can see why they regard losing 4 straight to Utah as a very bad thing for their program. The last time we won 4 straight against them was...well, 2002-2005, so not that long ago. But a win this season would mean Utah is 9-3 over the last 12 games. Holmoe doesn't want to answer donors' questions about that. It's bad enough already.

In addition to the rivalry aspect, this game is important to them as one of their toss-up games. They have four probable losses, a bunch of built in wins, and a few toss up games. They have to come away with a win or two in the toss up games to feel good about this season.

Utah
08-24-2013, 08:37 PM
BYU has a few known, valuable players. Utah has a question mark at every single position group. Combine that with the game being in Provo, and I can understand why we are considered underdogs.

BYU has Van Noy on defense and Hoffman on offense. Those are their known's. the ironic thing is, Reilly is at least as good as Vam Noy and I don't think I'd trade Scott or Murphy for Hoffman.

BYU has no depth at DT, DE and CB. Their OL sucks. Hill had worse stats than Wilson against weaker competition. Van Noy is going to wish he hadn't come back, because he has played behind multiple NFL D-Linemen. Those guys aren't there anymore and instead of taking advantage of his playmaking skills, he will be fighting off OL-men.

Now to Utah. Compared to the BYU game last year, our QB, OL, HB, TE and WR are all better (our whole offense).

On defense, a lot of people say our D-line overall is better, but lets say it's a wash. Our LBers are better. Our secondary appears to be taking a step back, but don't forget only one DB played all 12 games for us last year. So, it's not like the bar is set too high for the secondary.

So, Utah is a better team last year pretty much everywhere. BYU only has one starter returning from their front 7 defensively and has all sorts of offensive questions plus new coaches. There is nothing that says BYU should win.

Here is the x-factor. Everyone talks about Van Noy. But Reilly got All-PAC-12 honors last year WITH A TORN ACL. He is the best defender in the state. Hands down. I also read somewhere that even with that torn ACL, Reilly had more tackles than Van Noy (this could be wrong though).

X-factor #2: the reason we lost to USU and the BYU game was close was our punt team. The most sure fire NFL player we have on the team is our long snapper. Take away blocked punts and we beat USU and beat BYU handidly. That's a position no one talks about but can completely change a season.

sharpone
08-24-2013, 09:51 PM
X-factor #2: the reason we lost to USU and the BYU game was close was our punt team. The most sure fire NFL player we have on the team is our long snapper. Take away blocked punts and we beat USU and beat BYU handidly. That's a position no one talks about but can completely change a season.

Thank you for reminding me about this re: the BYU game. It wasn't a blocked punt, but it basically got them back into the game via field position. It absolutely was the momentum swing that almost let BYU come back to get it into OT.

In USU the Utes climbed back into the game, but that punt block ended up being huge when you figure they only scored 13 regulation offensive points.