PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Graham leaving for WEEI Boston

UtahsMrSports
08-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Well, Kevin Graham is leaving town (again). I wonder what will happen to 1320 KFAN now? I was never a fan of "Gunther and Graham",and I know that the ratings werent all that great. Wonder who they get to replace him? I would certainly never be happy about anyone losing their job, but 3 all-sports radio stations in SLC seems excessive to me and always has. I wonder if KFAN will get sold and change formats. Itll be interesting to see how it plays out.

UBlender
08-28-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm already excited to never listen to the PK & Graham show in 2015. Graham is terrible. He offers no insight and isn't entertaining. I don't know how he gets these jobs. I guess I shouldn't be shocked that he keeps ending up back in SLC after failed ventures elsewhere. Although I don't know why stations keep hiring him. Does he drive ratings? I've never heard anyone say they wanted to tune into a program to hear Kevin Graham. Third time we get rid of him, but I fully expect him back yet again.

Gunther has some knowledge (football only) but is too busy trying to be funny to have a listenable show for more than a couple minutes at a time. 1320 should cease to exist but if it does go on I fully expect them to either rotate another retread through (Jan Jorgensen anyone?) or promote one of their unqualified lackeys to host (Napoleon, etc). There's no way that station has the budget to make a splashy hire that will actually improve the station--if they did they would have more than one local show.

concerned
08-28-2013, 12:36 PM
I'm already excited to never listen to the PK & Graham show in 2015. Graham is terrible. He offers no insight and isn't entertaining. I don't know how he gets these jobs. I guess I shouldn't be shocked that he keeps ending up back in SLC after failed ventures elsewhere. Although I don't know why stations keep hiring him. Does he drive ratings? I've never heard anyone say they wanted to tune into a program to hear Kevin Graham. Third time we get rid of him, but I fully expect him back yet again.

Gunther has some knowledge (football only) but is too busy trying to be funny to have a listenable show for more than a couple minutes at a time. 1320 should cease to exist but if it does go on I fully expect them to either rotate another retread through (Jan Jorgensen anyone?) or promote one of their unqualified lackeys to host (Napoleon, etc). There's no way that station has the budget to make a splashy hire that will actually improve the station--if they did they would have more than one local show.

Graham is the station manager; he is being hired to run WEII, which is a huge station (Red Sox). I'll bet is is not on -air there, and that he only did it here because they are on a shoestring budget. I quite like Gunther; he by far the most honest and direct talking head in the market, and the funniest. He just needs a new sidekick.

Sullyute
08-28-2013, 12:43 PM
I quite like Gunther; he by far the most honest and direct talking head in the market, and the funniest. He just needs a new sidekick.

I love gunther and agree that he is the straightest shooter in the market. This market needs someone that has actually played the game instead of the blow hards/talking heads at 1280.

FountainOfUte
08-28-2013, 01:02 PM
Count me as another who likes Gunther. I actually liked him a lot more with Graham than I did with Jan. So I think the key is that Gunther needs the straight sports guy along with him to make his schtick work.

As for all of the sports stations, I say the more the merrier. It's no skin off my back if there are 3, 13, or 30 sports stations in SLC. The more there are the more able I am to hear something I want flipping from one to the other.

Maybe it's time for a radio station to take a chance on a purely Ute show. I'd die for something like that on my drive home.

UtahsMrSports
08-28-2013, 01:02 PM
Maybe I am crazy, but one of the reasons that I didn't like listening to Gunther and Graham is because it seemed to me that they set themselves up as somehwat of a home for disgruntled fans and were going to cater to that section of the market. To me, the Graham of KFAN was far different from the Graham of 1280. I actually enjoyed him and Monson when they were together. He was always a storm cloud, but on KFAN, it got worse. I think their marketing tactic was a) realizing that people will listen to things that they agree with more than aynthing else and b) with a station that is pro-Jazz and a station that is nuetral-Jazz, they could get market share by being the anti-Jazz, and cater to the segment that wanted everyone in Jazz management fired.

Gunther......meh. I think he tries too hard to not be a Ute homer. and it always turns into an off topic sideshow when I tune in.

I do think that there is room in this market for an independent voice, but I dont know that the approach they took can last. What happens when the Jazz get good again? Anyway, best of luck to Graham.

Jarid in Cedar
08-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Gunther and Graham was just bad radio. I dont' get that station here in Cedar but when in SLC, it was hard to listen to.

LA Ute
08-28-2013, 01:32 PM
I used to listen to Gunther when I was driving around SoCal and I discovered that an iPhone app would let me tune in. I was starved for Ute news and we had just joined to PAC-12. I thought he was OK but got tired of stories about his cat. (And I even like cats!) Haven't tuned in for a long time now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2