PDA

View Full Version : Week 1 Open Thread

OrangeUte
08-29-2013, 09:56 PM
A place for all other games week 1.

USC is having a hard time with a Hawaii team that is not really supposed to be that good. Up 3-2 in the second quarter. Yikes!

DrumNFeather
08-29-2013, 10:04 PM
Now 5-3 Rainbows

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

OrangeUte
08-29-2013, 10:09 PM
now 5-3 rainbows

sent from my lg-e970 using tapatalk 2

lol!!!

OrangeUte
08-29-2013, 10:32 PM
Ole miss leading vandy 32-28. Vandy is fun to watch.

OrangeUte
08-29-2013, 10:44 PM
WR Matthews for vandy took a nasty hit.

OrangeUte
08-29-2013, 10:55 PM
This game is turning into a shoot out.

OrangeUte
08-29-2013, 11:01 PM
Tough loss for vandy.

Jarid in Cedar
08-30-2013, 11:02 PM
Wow, wow, wow. North Dakota St. goes 19 plays in 9:30 minutes to beat Kansas State 24-21. Unreal finish.

OrangeUte
08-30-2013, 11:33 PM
Wow, wow, wow. North Dakota St. goes 19 plays in 9:30 minutes to beat Kansas State 24-21. Unreal finish.

I'm up in Eugene Oregon with some friends and didn't get a chance to watch. But Steelblue kept me in the loop. Sounds like an amazing upset!

If Nicholls State pulls the same against Oregon tomorrow I will be there.

Dwight Schr-Ute
08-31-2013, 01:02 AM

That last drive was incredible. It was so methodical, I was actually amazed that there was still about 30 seconds left when they scored.

Fox Sports 1 has had a couple decent games for opening weekend.

Redbird
08-31-2013, 11:57 AM
WVa in a battle, down 17-7 at the start of the 2nd half.

Solon
08-31-2013, 12:11 PM

For me, it was exciting precisely because the NDSU team was so nonchalantly confident as they methodically marched down the field. Even as time ticked down to under a minute, they just went about their business without any yips. This wasn't a crazy, rollercoaster finish of passion. It was a methodical execution. They were just nails down the stretch, and the k-state team knew they were finished. Didn't K-state play in the fiesta bowl last season? Wow.

FCS football is a lot of fun to watch, and NDSU is as good as it gets in that category. I"m sure the Bison could be a lot of FBS teams, but it's nice to watch K-State go down. Snyder invented the cupcake schedule, but I guess they didn't count on NDSU being a two-time defending FCS championship team.

Redbird
08-31-2013, 01:12 PM
William & Mary upset bid falls short. Bummer.

Redbird
08-31-2013, 03:38 PM
Haha, Bama is straight-up ridiculous.

LA Ute
08-31-2013, 06:05 PM
WVa in a battle, down 17-7 at the start of the 2nd half.

Great to see you posting!!! We've missed you!

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

chrisrenrut
08-31-2013, 07:38 PM
Eastern Washington putting up over 600 yards and 49 points on Oregon State. Sucks that Oregon St will not be ranked when they come play at RES, and not good for the PAC-12. But I feel better about our chances to beat them and get to at least 6-6 and a bowl game.

justaute
08-31-2013, 08:35 PM
I'm just happy to be on a forum where members don't talk about CougarBoard every other minute. I'm more concerned about my Utes.

sancho
08-31-2013, 09:48 PM
Eastern Washington putting up over 600 yards and 49 points on Oregon State. Sucks that Oregon St will not be ranked when they come play at RES, and not good for the PAC-12. But I feel better about our chances to beat them and get to at least 6-6 and a bowl game.

Mannion looked good to me. I think OSU will be able to put up some points against our secondary. Our offense will have to keep up.

Jarid in Cedar
08-31-2013, 11:21 PM
I'm just happy to be on a forum where members don't talk about CougarBoard every other minute. I'm more concerned about my Utes.

Hear, hear

sancho
09-01-2013, 07:45 AM
Hear, hear

Well, I guess. There should be a happy medium. Our rival lost, and, from what I read, looked terrible. There should be some rejoicing around here. I was thrilled to see that they lost.

Funny - With my "sports package" from Comcast I have ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News, Fox Sports 1, NBC Sports, CBS Sports, Pac-12 Net, Big 10 Net, NFL Net. I discovered yesterday that the only two football channels I don't have are ESPNU and BYUtv - the two channels where BYU will most often be playing. So much for exposure.

LA Ute
09-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Well, I guess. There should be a happy medium. Our rival lost, and, from what I read, looked terrible. There should be some rejoicing around here. I was thrilled to see that they lost.

Funny - With my "sports package" from Comcast I have ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News, Fox Sports 1, NBC Sports, CBS Sports, Pac-12 Net, Big 10 Net, NFL Net. I discovered yesterday that the only two football channels I don't have are ESPNU and BYUtv - the two channels where BYU will most often be playing. So much for exposure.

Their loss was a nice way to end the day, to be sure. I think the nice thing about this board is the lack of posts that pretty much amount to "you won't believe the latest idiotic CB post I saw."

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

OrangeUte
09-01-2013, 09:37 AM
Just watched highlights from the tcu/lsu game. I always enjoy watching tcu. They have a small speedy back that wears 23. A few missed opportunities but tcu was definitely in that game.

sancho
09-01-2013, 12:39 PM
EIGHT FCS wins over FBS teams in week 1. Gotta be a record, right?

redpatty
09-01-2013, 01:05 PM
It's our third year in the PAC 12 and finally I'm not pinching myself to remind me this isn't a dream. We're no longer the new kid on the block - the curiosity.

I love, love, love watching PAC 12 games and that is how I spent my entire Saturday.

OrangeUte
09-01-2013, 01:51 PM
EIGHT FCS wins over FBS teams in week 1. Gotta be a record, right?

Yikes! I would think so. That's ridiculous!

sancho
09-01-2013, 07:47 PM
Pac-12 finishes 5-0 vs MWC.

Big wins vs BSU, CSU, Hawaii, and Nevada, and a close one vs USU.

I was able to watch about half of the CU game. Their QB consistently made accurate throws on the run. It was pretty impressive. So far, it doesn't look like there are any easy outs in this conference.

sancho
09-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Week 1 Pac-12 Power Rankings:

1) Washington (bombed Boise)
2) Oregon (nuked Nichols)
3) UCLA (nailed Nevada)
4) Stanford (DNP)
5) USC (handled Hawaii)
6) ASU (DNP)
7) Arizona (no problem vs FCS foe)
8) Utah (revenge vs in-state little brother)
9) CU (revenge vs in-state little brother)
10) Wazzu (tough SEC road loss)
11) Cal (home loss to nerd team)
12) OSU (home loss to FCS team)

A case could be made for CU ahead of us. They were impressive. But I think we beat the better team.

sancho
09-02-2013, 07:48 AM
Pac-12 stats:

Eight QB's have a passer rating over 100. Six are over 150. Mannion leads the way at 191. Wilson is third.

Seven RBs went over 100 yards in week 1. Sankey leads the conference with 161 rushing yards. A slightly different group of 7 averaged over 5 YPC with at least 10 carries. Franklin's replacement at UCLA, Jordan James, averaged 7.4 YPC on 21 carries.

Eight WRs went over 100 yards. Colorado's Paul Richardon leads the conference with 208 receiving yards. Denham is on this list with 113 yards.

Jarid in Cedar
09-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Week 1 Pac-12 Power Rankings:

1) Washington (bombed Boise)
2) Oregon (nuked Nichols)
3) UCLA (nailed Nevada)
4) Stanford (DNP)
5) USC (handled Hawaii)
6) ASU (DNP)
7) Arizona (no problem vs FCS foe)
8) Utah (revenge vs in-state little brother)
9) CU (revenge vs in-state little brother)
10) Wazzu (tough SEC road loss)
11) Cal (home loss to nerd team)
12) OSU (home loss to FCS team)

A case could be made for CU ahead of us. They were impressive. But I think we beat the better team.

Can't argue with a single position. And yes, we should be above CU barb on beating the better team

sancho
09-02-2013, 11:15 AM
So, what should be done about flopping and fake injuries in football? It is beginning to become embarrassing, and it is getting worse.

My proposal: if a player is so "hurt" that game play must be paused, that player, for his own safety, cannot re-enter the game until possession changes. I have thought forever that they should do this in soccer. If you are really so hurt that you have to stop the game, you need to sit and recover for 5 minutes while your team plays a man down.

Bacana Ute
09-02-2013, 11:34 AM
So, what should be done about flopping and fake injuries in football? It is beginning to become embarrassing, and it is getting worse.

My proposal: if a player is so "hurt" that game play must be paused, that player, for his own safety, cannot re-enter the game until possession changes. I have thought forever that they should do this in soccer. If you are really so hurt that you have to stop the game, you need to sit and recover for 5 minutes while your team plays a man down.

I think the situation should really dictate what should be done. For example at the end of the Oregon State game on Saturday it appeared to me that the Oregon State receiver faked an injury that allowed the team to then spike the ball and get the field goal team out for what ended up being a failed last attempt. In that situation there should be some sort of time run off. In other situations I like the idea of the player having to sit out for the rest of the series. I suppose the real problem with the time run off is how do you determine if the injury is legit?

sancho
09-02-2013, 11:37 AM
I think the situation should really dictate what should be done. For example at the end of the Oregon State game on Saturday it appeared to me that the Oregon State receiver faked an injury that allowed the team to then spike the ball and get the field goal team out for what ended up being a failed last attempt. In that situation there should be some sort of time run off. In other situations I like the idea of the player having to sit out for the rest of the series. I suppose the real problem with the time run off is how do you determine if the injury is legit?

That's why I propose the series sit out. If the injury is real, the player needs to sit out anyway. If it's fake, the player is punished. But, yeah, I guess it doesn't help in the situation you described where the series is over anyway.

I hate to think of football having the same fake injury issues that soccer has, but it is getting there.

NorthwestUteFan
09-02-2013, 12:04 PM
The problem is some injuries are real, yet temporary. Chuckles Keeton's cramping was not a true injury although that it was sustained (or agrivated) on the field, but it affected his ability to function. Cramping legs or stomach, shoulder stingers, whack the funny bone, getting smacked in 'the giblets', etc, are temporarily disabling but are not true 'injuries'. I like the thought of the player being disqualified for the next down, but don't want to see anything beyond that.

In basketball if a player is injured and can't shoot the free throws, then he is disqualified for the remainder of the game. I don't think that would work for football.

sancho
09-02-2013, 12:09 PM
The problem is some injuries are real, yet temporary. Chuckles Keeton's cramping was not a true injury although that it was sustained (or agrivated) on the field, but it affected his ability to function. Cramping legs or stomach, shoulder stingers, whack the funny bone, getting smacked in 'the giblets', etc, are temporarily disabling but are not true 'injuries'. I like the thought of the player being disqualified for the next down, but don't want to see anything beyond that.

Sitting out one down offers no deterrence. The players are faking injuries so that the defense can sub them out for a down anyway. Yes, my solution punishes some cramping players and players who get the wind knocked out of them. Most of the players with these minor issues can sub themselves out without needing a stoppage in game play.

LA Ute
09-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Sitting out one down offers no deterrence. The players are faking injuries so that the defense can sub them out for a down anyway. Yes, my solution punishes some cramping players and players who get the wind knocked out of them. Most of the players with these minor issues can sub themselves out without needing a stoppage in game play.

How will the officials determine whether or not someone is faking?

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

sancho
09-02-2013, 12:26 PM
How will the officials determine whether or not someone is faking?

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

They won't. Any player who is injured severely enough to stop play will sit out the rest of the possession. It's for their own good.

I guess the main problem I see is the incentive for players to "play through" an injury.

U-Ute
09-06-2013, 03:41 PM
A look back at week 1...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBC5qhT_7wA#t=197

Utah
09-06-2013, 08:07 PM

I agree 100%. We want to make sure we are keeping these kids safe, right? Sit them out until the possession changes. That allows the trainers plenty of time to evaluate a player's health.