PDA

View Full Version : The Car Thread

wally
02-20-2013, 10:36 AM
What in the hell should be the first thread in this category? Oh yeah how 'bout cars!

If you were in the market for a lightly-to-mediumly-used sedan, what would you consider?

I am thinking Hyundai Sonata, but I am not really interested in one of those over 2 years old. Hondas/Toyotas (take your pic of model) I would probably go for something 2-5 years old.

I have also thought about camping out at state surplus and watching out for some used Highway Patrol cruisers. That might be cool, especially if there are blood stains in back seat where the perps sit. Also, if any still have a cage between the driver/passenger seats and the back row, that would be useful for when my kids ride with me.

My problem is that I haven't been in the used car market for some time and am not a "car guy" so I don't have strong opinions, or knowledge deeper than consumer reports.

Tell me what to do.

Diehard Ute
02-20-2013, 10:50 AM
You don't want used police cars. You have no idea how hard we drive those cars. UHP cars and blood isn't likely, far more likely to find puke, and we take the cages out before they go to auction ;)

I'm a big fan of the recent generations of the Chevy Malibu, it's an excellent car

Given that I drive a horsepower monster I'm not much of a sedan guy though

chrisrenrut
02-20-2013, 11:05 AM
What in the hell should be the first thread in this category? Oh yeah how 'bout cars!

If you were in the market for a lightly-to-mediumly-used sedan, what would you consider?

I am thinking Hyundai Sonata, but I am not really interested in one of those over 2 years old. Hondas/Toyotas (take your pic of model) I would probably go for something 2-5 years old.

I have also thought about camping out at state surplus and watching out for some used Highway Patrol cruisers. That might be cool, especially if there are blood stains in back seat where the perps sit. Also, if any still have a cage between the driver/passenger seats and the back row, that would be useful for when my kids ride with me.

My problem is that I haven't been in the used car market for some time and am not a "car guy" so I don't have strong opinions, or knowledge deeper than consumer reports.

Tell me what to do.

I found a late model Ford Fusion that I enjoy. It has a 4 cylinder engine that gets good gas mileage, and can still power up most canyons with ease. The SEL model has most of the niceties you'd expect except navigation (bluetooth, power everything, cruise, etc.)

If it is a car you are planning to drive till it dies, consider going to Autosource in Bountiful, or CJ Prestman in SLC. They sell salvage title cars, which some people don't like. But the prices are great, and they will usually show you what the previous damage and history of the car was up front. Mountain America Credit Union will give loans on salvage titled cars from these dealerships. (I am not affiliated with any of the companies listed here, just recommending on past experience from myself and family).

old_gregg
02-20-2013, 11:08 AM
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6192/6060536648_2b6285e753_z.jpg

OrangeUte
02-20-2013, 11:44 AM
i am a toyota camry guy. still driving a 2004 Camry LE with 200K miles on it. Impeccable service record, roomy enough for 6'4", and good gas mileage. i get 25 city and 35 highway. i have the gray/brown grandpa color, so nobody ever tries to steal it or break in for my blueblocker sun glasses. totally awesome.

i think the more recent design of camry's and accord's are pretty slick looking.

Diehard Ute
02-20-2013, 12:07 PM
i am a toyota camry guy. still driving a 2004 Camry LE with 200K miles on it. Impeccable service record, roomy enough for 6'4", and good gas mileage. i get 25 city and 35 highway. i have the gray/brown grandpa color, so nobody ever tries to steal it or break in for my blueblocker sun glasses. totally awesome.

i think the more recent design of camry's and accord's are pretty slick looking.

Actually such Camry's and Accords/Civics are the most stolen cars :)

GarthUte
02-20-2013, 12:26 PM
I would suggest a Buick LeSabre , but I'm still mourning the death of mine. I will never again be able to drive another LeSabre because it just won't be the same. I, I, ... I can't talk about this...

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae301/EarlyMemphis/Smileys/th_CryingSmiley.gif

Tokolosh
02-20-2013, 02:57 PM
I find myself in unfamiliar territory. Camry, Impala, LeSabre???

Do you guys spend your weekend on your porch watching the grass grow?
;)

Diehard Ute
02-20-2013, 03:02 PM
I find myself in unfamiliar territory. Camry, Impala, LeSabre???

Do you guys spend your weekend on your porch watching the grass grow?
;)

I only drive the Impala at work...my other car is to the left :cool:

OrangeUte
02-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Actually such Camry's and Accords/Civics are the most stolen cars :)

except for grandfather gray. it is never stolen.

UtahDan
02-20-2013, 03:09 PM
I only drive the Impala at work...my other car is to the left :cool:

I'm guessing you drive one of these....

http://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam/gmfleet/global/master/nscwebsite/en/Home/Vehicle_Search/Specialty_Vehicles/Specialty%20vehicles/01_images/2012_GMFleet_vehicle_overview_speciality_police_96 0x388_impala.jpg

Diehard Ute
02-20-2013, 03:12 PM
I'm guessing you drive one of these....

http://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam/gmfleet/global/master/nscwebsite/en/Home/Vehicle_Search/Specialty_Vehicles/Specialty%20vehicles/01_images/2012_GMFleet_vehicle_overview_speciality_police_96 0x388_impala.jpg

Mine looks better, but yes. (I can't post pictures or make any real specific comments on what I do, it's been banned by policy)

UtahDan
02-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Mine looks better, but yes. (I can't post pictures or make any real specific comments on what I do, it's been banned by policy)

I shan't bring it up again. :)

Diehard Ute
02-20-2013, 03:16 PM
I shan't bring it up again. :)

I can talk basics, just can't talk department specifics anymore.

UtahDan
02-20-2013, 03:25 PM
I can talk basics, just can't talk department specifics anymore.

I do a modest amount of criminal defense in my practice so deal with law enforcement a fair amount. I'm very fortunate in the friendly relationship I have been able to cultivate with almost everyone in the local department.

Devildog
02-20-2013, 05:55 PM
Car thread?

Hell yeah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77_15oR64aI

Scratch
02-20-2013, 09:13 PM
For that description, and one that's 2-3 years old I'd definitely get a Ford, either a Fusion or Taurus depending on how big of a car you want.

old_gregg
02-26-2013, 10:52 AM
great news: nissan is reviving nismo (http://en.nissan-live.com/nismoglobal/#/pack/page1). there will be a nismo gt-r and 370z in addition to the juke that's sold in europe.

Sheik Yerbouti
03-06-2013, 01:42 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on late model (2010-2013) Subaru Legacys?

Thinking of getting one because of the AWD. Gas mileage is decent, especially on the 4 cylinder.

FN Phat
03-06-2013, 06:58 AM

Thinking of getting one because of the AWD. Gas mileage is decent, especially on the 4 cylinder.

I have not owned one but I am a big fan of the Legacy GT. I have a buddy that owned a black one that he did some work on and it was a beautiful, quick car.

Virginia Ute
03-06-2013, 09:22 AM

I drive a 2006 Legacy. I've owned it for about 7 years and I love it. Solid car, the all wheel drive is unbeatable in the Utah snow, which is ironic because I live in pretty much snowless VA now. Gas mileage is pretty good...comparable to other cars its size, despite the AWD. It's also a very good looking car. I know it's not a late model, but still similar to the 2010 and later versions.

Sheik Yerbouti
03-06-2013, 09:29 AM
I drive a 2006 Legacy. I've owned it for about 7 years and I love it. Solid car, the all wheel drive is unbeatable in the Utah snow, which is ironic because I live in pretty much snowless VA now. Gas mileage is pretty good...comparable to other cars its size, despite the AWD. It's also a very good looking car. I know it's not a late model, but still similar to the 2010 and later versions.

Thanks for the input. I'd go with the V6, but they are more pricey and get horrible gas mileage. The AWD is the trump card in the equation. If Audis weren't such a maintenance nightmare, I'd go with an A4. I've tinkered with the idea of an AWD Fusion, but at the end of the day, it's a Ford. I don't know how I feel about that. Un-American, I know, but I just don't care for domestic...although the new Taurus body styles are quite nice.

Virginia Ute
03-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the input. I'd go with the V6, but they are more pricey and get horrible gas mileage. The AWD is the trump card in the equation. If Audis weren't such a maintenance nightmare, I'd go with an A4. I've tinkered with the idea of an AWD Fusion, but at the end of the day, it's a Ford. I don't know how I feel about that. Un-American, I know, but I just don't care for domestic...although the new Taurus body styles are quite nice.

I'm with ya on the A4s/Audis. I love the look of those things, but heaven-forbid you should need repairs on one of those.

As far as the domestic vs foreign thing goes, I actually think my Subie was made in Indiana...so, at least they're making them on US soil, I guess.

Sheik Yerbouti
03-06-2013, 09:52 AM
I'm with ya on the A4s/Audis. I love the look of those things, but heaven-forbid you should need repairs on one of those.

As far as the domestic vs foreign thing goes, I actually think my Subie was made in Indiana...so, at least they're making them on US soil, I guess.

Haha...correct. They are made in Indiana. What I meant is that I prefer cars with foreign DNA and design.

Virginia Ute
03-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Haha...correct. They are made in Indiana. What I meant is that I prefer cars with foreign DNA and design.

Gotcha. I do too. They generally look nicer and don't feel as cheap.

hardcoreUTE
03-06-2013, 11:35 PM

We just got my wife an 07 A4 2.0T. So far we absolutely love it. It's been awesome with all the snow we've had this winter. No maintenance issues yet but had it checked out by a 3rd party Audi cert shop and it checked out just fine. When it comes time to get another car, I'm pretty sure we'll be going with another Audi. I rarely drive my Mustang any more, just enough to keep it going.

mUUser
03-07-2013, 07:23 AM

Subaru's are solid. My first car out of HS was a Legacy Wagon.

However, I AM a car guy, more specifically, a truck guy, so don't mind spending an extra shekel or two on exactly what I want.

wally
03-07-2013, 08:23 AM

FYI: if you live in Utah and drive a subaru, people will think you are a liberal. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)

Sheik Yerbouti
03-07-2013, 09:19 AM
FYI: if you live in Utah and drive a subaru, people will think you are a liberal. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)

I have no problems whatsoever. :)

GarthUte
03-07-2013, 10:27 AM

If people accuse me or my wife of being a liberal because of her Tribeca, I will find them and liberally pummel them into a pile of goo.

Sheik Yerbouti
03-07-2013, 01:27 PM
If people accuse me or my wife of being a liberal because of her Tribeca, I will find them and liberally pummel them into a pile of goo.

And then you will burn their house down. ;)

Devildog
03-07-2013, 01:38 PM
And then you will burn their house down. ;)

One of my most favorite movie scenes ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B5lFuTUhso

wally
03-07-2013, 05:40 PM

You are lucky because tribecas don't count as lib-mobiles. Too large.