PDA

View Full Version : The Rush Thread

Viking
02-20-2013, 11:45 AM
SLC. July 31st. Usana.

I expect DU to be present. I don't expect MP Funk to attend.

I will be flying in town to attend with a big group of family.

DU Ute
02-20-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm in! If you want to let me tag along with you and the Viking clan I'd really enjoy it. I picture hanging with your family is like being in a real life Wes Anderson movie.

mpfunk
02-20-2013, 02:41 PM
You are correct, I will not be in attendance. I will listen to some good music that evening to offset the stink of Rush in Utah. John Zorn should be sufficient.

Devildog
02-20-2013, 05:32 PM
It's good to see you again Viking. Your presence here can't help but to enliven the place.

GarthUte
02-20-2013, 08:46 PM
That is a show that could be tempting. Although with Rush, (like a lot of bands really) the more albums they release, the less I tend to like them. My two favorite Rush albums are Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures and Signals. I suppose that it's because those albums were released during my high school years and my musical preferences were still forming. If I knew in advance that most of the set would be from those three albums, I'd definitely go.

Viking
02-21-2013, 04:35 PM
It's good to see you again Viking. Your presence here can't help but to enliven the place.

Thanks, man.

Devildog
02-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Everyone around here is still on their best behavior right now.

This place has too many intelligent, witty, bold, and clever personalities around to stay vanilla for very long.

It's going to find its rhythm soon and get funny, interesting, and controversial.

I might try to make this Rush show and meet ya in person.

hostile
02-24-2013, 10:11 PM
I'm planning on being there. Should be fun.

Good to see you here, Viking.

Viking
02-25-2013, 06:26 PM
My wife, Clueless, spent 30 minutes on the Internet trying to get good seats and the best she could do was section 301, so we decided to pay a scalper in a few weeks for something better. 8 seats needed. Haute, doccoug, me, clue-carnaval-less, two daughters, haute's ute boyfriend, and AtheistCoug (not the dude on CUF, but my closest bro) all in one row. Should be a blast.

Anyone going let me know around the time of the concert and I will pay for beers (or diet coke).

SuperGabers
02-25-2013, 08:15 PM
VIKING!!! (That is all)

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

FN Phat
02-25-2013, 08:36 PM
My wife, Clueless, spent 30 minutes on the Internet trying to get good seats and the best she could do was section 301, so we decided to pay a scalper in a few weeks for something better. 8 seats needed. Haute, doccoug, me, clue-carnaval-less, two daughters, haute's ute boyfriend, and AtheistCoug (not the dude on CUF, but my closest bro) all in one row. Should be a blast.

Anyone going let me know around the time of the concert and I will pay for beers (or diet coke).

I thought your wife was lovely in her interview!

Viking
02-25-2013, 09:02 PM
This time, the one and only (no more sharing my username and password ever again).

NorthwestUteFan
02-25-2013, 09:48 PM
This time, the one and only (no more sharing my username and password ever again).

At least not this month.

Tacoma Ute
02-26-2013, 05:25 PM
You are correct, I will not be in attendance. I will listen to some good music that evening to offset the stink of Rush in Utah. John Zorn should be sufficient.

Your loss. Variety is the spice of life. I listen to everything from Miles Davis, Pink Floyd, Robert Johnson, Greig, Alice in Chains, James Brown, Parliament, Black Uhuru (classic line-up only please) Deep Purple...I could go on and on.

Happy to have Rush counted among those I enjoy.

Viking
04-20-2013, 07:15 AM
The Holy Trinity were inducted into the RR HOF this week. Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins gave the induction speech, then donned kimonos, wigs and jammed "2112", later to be joined on stage by the real trio. It was great.

Applejack
04-20-2013, 10:38 AM
The Holy Trinity were inducted into the RR HOF this week. Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins gave the induction speech, then donned kimonos, wigs and jammed "2112", later to be joined on stage by the real trio. It was great.

I was once taught in Sunday School that appropriate popular music combined both (a) wholesome lyrics and (b) wholesome personal lives of the performers. When asked which bands met these two criteria, the teacher said "Rush." I did not feel the spirit.

Viking
04-20-2013, 01:47 PM
I was once taught in Sunday School that appropriate popular music combined both (a) wholesome lyrics and (b) wholesome personal lives of the performers. When asked which bands met these two criteria, the teacher said "Rush." I did not feel the spirit.

you have clearly not received The Spirit of the Radio

Viking
04-20-2013, 05:51 PM
This is badass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-xEr489gHY

Diehard Ute
04-20-2013, 05:56 PM
you have clearly not received The Spirit of the Radio

That's cause video killed the radio star.

Harry Tic
04-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Here are their acceptance speeches. Lerxst's speech begins at about 4:50. You'll find yourself thinking, "how long can he keep that up?" And then you figure out what he's doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M7AEi68a20

I took my kids to to see the Time Machine tour in 2011. It was fantastic. Rush (on their Signals tour) was my first concert ever and Rush ended up being my kids' first concert as well.

Viking
04-21-2013, 04:27 PM
Here are their acceptance speeches. Lerxst's speech begins at about 4:50. You'll find yourself thinking, "how long can he keep that up?" And then you figure out what he's doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M7AEi68a20

I took my kids to to see the Time Machine tour in 2011. It was fantastic. Rush (on their Signals tour) was my first concert ever and Rush ended up being my kids' first concert as well.

The speech was pure genius.

one daughter saw Time Machine at MSG and the other saw Clockwork Angels in Vegas last yr.

power Windows was my first concert ever in 1985...Reunion Arena. I've been to 8 total. My favorite moment was listening to them play The Garden as I watched my 12 yr old sing along. Brought tears to my eyes

Harry Tic
04-23-2013, 07:45 AM
In honor of Rush's induction, I've set up a master playlist on Rhapsody of every track they ever recorded (well, there are a couple of rarities here and there that are missing, but it's reasonably complete). It's 32+ hours long. I'll be working my way through it, album by album. I know everything from their debut album through Grace Under Pressure backwards and forwards. Stuff after that, not so much. I'm looking forward to it.

FountainOfUte
04-23-2013, 09:24 AM
Some of their stuff after "Grace" is some of their best stuff ever, IMO.

I particularly connected with "Counterparts" and "Snakes & Arrows," with "Clockwork Angels" not far behind those two and still gaining ground.

They have only one studio album that I've not been able to make some decent connection with, and that's "Vapor Trails." I've tried multiple times, but I just can't get into that album. I keep wondering what I'm missing about it, but I'm somewhere between not getting it or plain old hating it. It's a strange feeling to have for a Rush album. I like the song "Stars Look Down" and that's about it. There was just something wrong with that album.

Viking
04-28-2013, 09:22 PM
Some of their stuff after "Grace" is some of their best stuff ever, IMO.

I particularly connected with "Counterparts" and "Snakes & Arrows," with "Clockwork Angels" not far behind those two and still gaining ground.

They have only one studio album that I've not been able to make some decent connection with, and that's "Vapor Trails." I've tried multiple times, but I just can't get into that album. I keep wondering what I'm missing about it, but I'm somewhere between not getting it or plain old hating it. It's a strange feeling to have for a Rush album. I like the song "Stars Look Down" and that's about it. There was just something wrong with that album.

Vapor Trails was their first album post Peart's wife and daughter's tragic deaths. I like a few songs on it (Ghost Rider, in particular) but its main offense is the mix, which is way too loud and brash.

I think Clockwork Angels is the best since Moving Pictures and I think it's #2 or 3 on my list. Permanent Waves is one helluva album, as well. 2112 will always be sentimentally my favorite "song". There's nothing that's ever been made or will be made that matches the essence of Side A, 2112. In the annals of history, Side A, 2112, will go down as one of the most influential pieces of rock music ever made.

Viking
05-19-2013, 04:26 PM
This was awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_KLuYXT6QMU