PDA

View Full Version : How U like us now?

Snowman
09-08-2013, 07:14 AM
Three weeks ago I was worried we might only get two or three wins. Now, I'm thinking we might only take two or three losses. Oh, how the heart can jump around.

roseparkutes
09-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Don't get to big of a head... We still have a lot of PAC-12 play. I really hope we only have 2-3 loses

Utah
09-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Don't feel too good until we play OSU. Our secondary still sucks. OSU can throw it. We could still easily lose the next game.

The good news is, we could win that game 35-28.

Devildog
09-08-2013, 01:28 PM
This season is going to be a long grind. We are where we hoped we'd be right now... but the real work hasn't even started.

Utah State looks like a good program... and we worked our way to a win. Weber was who we thought they were, and we got our offense moving against light competition.

The OSU game should be one we can win if we play smart and hard. I think the game against BYU is going to be a battle.

And then... the real work begins.

Snowman
09-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Don't get to big of a head... We still have a lot of PAC-12 play. I really hope we only have 2-3 loses

Unless I'm lost we got ALL our PAC 12 play left. And, yeah, I hear ya, but I'm just gonna go ahead and enjoy this optimism while it's still in my heart. GO UTES!!!

roseparkutes
09-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Sadly I'm a negative nacy, I still can see use going 2-10... God I hope not, help!!!

SoCalPat
09-09-2013, 07:43 AM
Sadly I'm a negative nacy, I still can see use going 2-10... God I hope not, help!!!

There's being negative, and there's flat out looking for monsters where they don't exist. You probably leave your house every morning thinking there's a reasonable chance you get run over by a bus. Utah has never lost 10 straight in over 100 years of football.

LA Ute
09-09-2013, 08:12 AM

I'm sticking with 7 wins being a good season, 8 wins being a great one.

NorthwestUteFan
09-09-2013, 09:04 AM
I'm sticking with 7 wins being a good season, 8 wins being a great one.

I completely agree with this. 8 wins and I am ecstatic. Anything beyond that would be a "Season to Remember" .

UTEopia
09-09-2013, 09:18 AM
I am still at 6 wins. My sure losses are Stanford and Oregon. I believe we have a decent shot in the remaining games, but right now I would say that we are probably favored against only Oregon St. (haven't seen line but will guess it is about 4) and Colorado. We will need to win a couple of games where we will not be favored to win. Despite my conservative view on wins and losses, I still believe we will be a better team than a year ago.

Utah
09-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Games Utah HAS to win:

BYU, Washington St (and no, scoring 10 and beating USC does not a good team make), and Colorado. That's 5 wins.

For sure losses:

Oregon, Stanford

5-2

Probably losses:

ASU, UCLA

5-4

50/50:

Oregon St, Arizona, USC

I still say this:

You have to win 6 if you're Kyle. 7 wins is a very good season. 8+ is special.

Scorcho
09-09-2013, 11:17 AM
how can anyone have a reason to be negative at this point?

LA Ute
09-09-2013, 11:46 AM
how can anyone have a reason to be negative at this point?

I agree. The team has overachieved so far. I'm eager to see what they do as the season progresses.:snack:

UteBeliever aka Port
09-09-2013, 10:16 PM
Games Utah HAS to win:

BYU, Washington St (and no, scoring 10 and beating USC does not a good team make), and Colorado. That's 5 wins.

For sure losses:

Oregon, Stanford

5-2

Probably losses:

ASU, UCLA

5-4

50/50:

Oregon St, Arizona, USC

I still say this:

You have to win 6 if you're Kyle. 7 wins is a very good season. 8+ is special.

I'm probably up in the night but I have a feeling we get that UCLA game and I think it's going to be a comfortable win. My gut says we are more likely to win that game than the BYU game.

Utah
09-09-2013, 10:29 PM
I'm probably up in the night but I have a feeling we get that UCLA game and I think it's going to be a comfortable win. My gut says we are more likely to win that game than the BYU game.

I disagree. Hundley is light years better than Hill. We have seen two defenses attack BYU two different ways. Virginia went after Hill hard. Williams had a lot of carries and BYU lost. Texas went after Williams hard and forgot that the option was a legal play. And they got blown out. Hill can't throw. Hundley can.

BYU played amazing last week and took advantage of Texas's stupidity. They also played that Virginia game. They aren't as bad as the Virginia game, and they aren't as good as the Texas game. Their defense will keep them in every game. That being said, UCLA is better.

I feel better about beating BYU than UCLA.

The good news is, we get UCLA at home, where it seems like UCLA always forgets to show up in this state. But, since 1993, we have won 70% of the games in Provo as well...

Anyhow, we are a week early. I want to see how Utah does against OSU's passing attack. If they can slow it down and keep OSU under 300 yards passing, then I will get excited about this team. Until then, I am just hoping for 6 wins.

Utah
09-09-2013, 10:30 PM
Back to Texas and defending the option play. The only thought that makes any sort of sense to me is that when Texas agreed to play a home game in Provo, part of the deal was that BYU wasn't allowed to run the QB at all. That is the only thing that makes any sort of sense to me. That there was a back room deal that BYU wouldn't run Hill and they squelched on that deal.

Nothing else makes any sort of sense.

Utah
09-09-2013, 10:37 PM
Also, after watching Keaton play against AFA this last weekend, wow. USU is a better team than BYU. USU is good. If they beat USC, they will be in a BCS bowl this year. Keaton is amazing, their LB'ers are great, the rest of their team is just solid. No holes anywhere.

BYU beating Texas like they did was the best thing in the world for Utah. Utah now has the only thing BYU does well on tape. They can now go into this game prepared. Also, BYU has reclaimed their spot as the "best team in the state in their own minds." I guarantee you BYU doesn't work as hard as they would have had they lost to Texas by 30. Also, Utah will have to hear for the next two weeks about how amazing Hill is and how Wilson is unproven, and the third best QB in the state.

Even though Utah has a chance to be 3-0 going into the game, they will have the chip on their shoulder and be the underdog. I like where Utah sits right now.

Now, back to OSU. We really, really need our CB's to step up in this game. They have looked too confused too often the past two games. We could easily lose this game. Palepoi, Reilly and Orchard need to step up big time. We need them to be in OSU's backfield all game long.

And I am so pumped to see what Wilson can do this weekend. This will be the second best defense he has faced. I want to see him do well and FINALLY get respect for it.

NorthwestUteFan
09-09-2013, 10:54 PM
Back to Texas and defending the option play. The only thought that makes any sort of sense to me is that when Texas agreed to play a home game in Provo, part of the deal was that BYU wasn't allowed to run the QB at all. That is the only thing that makes any sort of sense to me. That there was a back room deal that BYU wouldn't run Hill and they squelched on that deal.

Nothing else makes any sort of sense.

There is no way Texas required a pre-nup to play in provo, but you can now results assured that Tejas will do all within their considerable power to guarantee the byu will never be admitted to the Big 12...

Also, the word is "Welshed".

Sullyute
09-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Also, the word is "Welshed".

Maybe I have not kept up on my current political correct terminology but I assumed Utah used squelched because "welshed" was not PC. Kind of like "jewing" down the price on something or being an "indian giver". It is refering to a specific action but can be considered demeaning to a specific ethnic group. I could be totally wrong though.
:tumbleweed:

LA Ute
09-10-2013, 11:11 AM
Maybe I have not kept up on my current political correct terminology but I assumed Utah used squelched because "welshed" was not PC. Kind of like "jewing" down the price on something or being an "indian giver". It is refering to a specific action but can be considered demeaning to a specific ethnic group. I could be totally wrong though.
:tumbleweed:

From a Welshman: (http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080615172001AAuEmNL)

As for stereotyping people -
Welsh are backstabbers
Scots are mean with money
Irish are thick
English are basta*ds
Only the last one is true.

Wales is to the UK, as Tibet is to China!

Cymru am byth.*

*Long live Wales.

My ancestry is heavily Scottish on both sides, and I remember my Mom saying now and then, "I am a little Scotch about that," when describing her regular fits of frugality. When describing people (not whiskey!) the term is considered pejorative when used by non-Scots.

Jeff Lebowski
09-10-2013, 11:19 AM
A thread dedicated to overconfidence. I like it.

LA Ute
09-10-2013, 11:29 AM
A thread dedicated to overconfidence. I like it.

787 Coming from a BYU fan right now, that is beyond wonderful! Fortunately, you appear not to have read this thread very carefully. If you had, we would have missed out on the irony.

p.s. You're welcome to use the cool smiley on CS, but you should give me credit for finding it. That's just the decent thing to do, you miserable vomitous mass.

Jeff Lebowski
09-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Sheesh. I come by and deliver a simple compliment and look what happens. You would think fans of a team just off a 70-7 victory would be a little more magnanimous.

LA Ute
09-10-2013, 12:05 PM
Sheesh. I come by and deliver a simple compliment and look what happens. You would think fans of a team just off a 70-7 victory would be a little more magnanimous.

But what about the smiley???

U-Ute
09-10-2013, 12:41 PM
*Long live Wales.

My ancestry is heavily Scottish on both sides, and I remember my Mom saying now and then, "I am a little Scotch about that," when describing her regular fits of frugality. When describing people (not whiskey!) the term is considered pejorative when used by non-Scots.

I knew you couldn't be trusted.

LA Ute
09-10-2013, 12:49 PM
I knew you couldn't be trusted.

It had to come out sooner or later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GowMI4wvmU4

U-Ute
09-10-2013, 12:54 PM
That's not how you Scotsman. This is how you Scotsman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e5J116IM6M

Jeff Lebowski
09-10-2013, 02:51 PM
But what about the smiley???

That definitely is a good one.

LA Ute
09-10-2013, 04:11 PM
That definitely is a good one.

sancho
09-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Pie in the sky, getting way ahead of myself daydreaming at lunch:

The NFL Thursday night matchups are really good this year in general (Alex Smith vs Philly next week? Yes, please) and are taking over Thursday night college football, but the Oct 3 game is a Bills vs Browns dud. That happens to be the night UCLA comes to SLC. If we manage to get past OSU and BYU, and if UCLA handles Nebraska, this will be a top 25, must-see battle on national TV.