PDA

View Full Version : Oregon State post mortem

UTEopia
09-15-2013, 09:12 AM
Wow, that was a roller coaster ride. I am still at a loss to describe what happened and exactly how I feel about it. I didn't leave my house thinking that it would be such a high scoring game or that I would return disappointed in the outcome. I believed it would be close but that the Utes would win. Despite the loss, there were a number of positives.

Our offense is pretty good. We have started slowly against USU and OSU, but kept battling.
We can run the ball effectively and have a dynamic passing attack.
Andy Phillips is clutch.
Turnovers killed us, but they always do. We can't give up 3 and get none in return.
We need to find a way to get off the field when we have them in 3rd and 4th and long. Those were killers.
Absolutely no pressure on the QB. Very disappointing.
Porter was burned on the 4th down double pass and McGill was burned on a 4th down and short, but from where I sit it looked like the corners were in decent position on the other long passes. I haven't watched the replay and it is hard for me to see things in the southeast corner, but my initial reaction was that you can't defend much better.

I guess the difficult thing to stomach is that things don't get easier.

concerned
09-15-2013, 09:39 AM
Wow, that was a roller coaster ride. I am still at a loss to describe what happened and exactly how I feel about it. I didn't leave my house thinking that it would be such a high scoring game or that I would return disappointed in the outcome. I believed it would be close but that the Utes would win. Despite the loss, there were a number of positives.

Our offense is pretty good. We have started slowly against USU and OSU, but kept battling.
We can run the ball effectively and have a dynamic passing attack.
Andy Phillips is clutch.
Turnovers killed us, but they always do. We can't give up 3 and get none in return.
We need to find a way to get off the field when we have them in 3rd and 4th and long. Those were killers.
Absolutely no pressure on the QB. Very disappointing.
Porter was burned on the 4th down double pass and McGill was burned on a 4th down and short, but from where I sit it looked like the corners were in decent position on the other long passes. I haven't watched the replay and it is hard for me to see things in the southeast corner, but my initial reaction was that you can't defend much better.

I guess the difficult thing to stomach is that things don't get easier.

During the game and especially going into overtime, we said that OSU just just concede first and second down, and tell the ref they wanted to start at third and ten. I was astonished at how many third and 8 or longer (or 4th and 9) they completed.

Utah
09-15-2013, 09:48 AM
It sucks to lose. But for the first time since 2004, we have a special QB. The rate at which this kid improves is amazing. Now we need Shaw and the secondary to step up. And Orchard to quit making so many dumb mistakes. Our two big games this year, he has had multiple bonehead plays.

There is a lot to be excited for, as disappointing as last night was.

Snowman
09-15-2013, 10:19 AM
I just got to tell myself it's only football. I started off keeping a pretty cool head but during the second half I really started to covet that initial conference win and then I felt so damn disappointed at the end. Then I still felt bad when I woke up this morning. But I think we can keep it respectable if Wilson stays healthy.

Devildog
09-15-2013, 10:37 AM
I can't speak this morning. My voice is totally shot from yelling last night. The stadium environment was loud and engaged whenever the Utes gave us anything to cheer for... Which wasn't enough on defense.

That stadium was rocking on all those 3rd and long attempts for Oregon State and Mannion stood in there and completed the pass for a first down time after time. Methodically.

This young secondary got taken to school. We knew it would... we feared the shootout with these guys... and we were right to do so.

Dennis Erickson has made a huge difference with our offense, and after the first quarter they began to play up to their abilities. Travis Wilson made some sophomore mistakes but he also never gave up and came back confidently, working hard, made things happen, and kept us driving. He is learning, progressing, and continually improving. He is already good and getting better.

I really like Kyle as our coach. I always have. I support him.

He better begin to find a way to win in the PAC. Soon.

Moral victories don't count. We can't keep saying oh but if only this player was healthy or when these kids mature as players... we need to win, especially on our own field.

We can't beat Oregon State at our own house... Honestly, this is something that can't continue.

Our defensive knew what they had to do coming into this game, we could allow them to learn and grow and we were prepared to give up some yardage...bend don't break... but the secondary shit the bed. The defensive line was not impressive against a depleted Oregon State offensive line. Pressure on Mannion was supposed to be a key... Hell, I didn't see much of it at all. Our defense made that kid look like Peyton Manning back there.

Snowman
09-15-2013, 11:59 AM
What upsets me the most is the idea that this team might be worse than who we were our during our inaugural PAC 12 season.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-15-2013, 12:33 PM

Mannion had three or four passes where our corners were in perfect position and he just put them in perfectly. On the plays where our corners were a half step out of position, the passes seemed to be just as well placed and had me shrugging my shoulders that the half step wouldn't have made a difference anyway. Even though Mannion finished with about 60% completion, he felt like he hadn't missed a pass all night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

NorthwestUteFan
09-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Mannion was outstanding, as expected. On several of those long completions there is no possible why to defending them, and even NFL corners would get beat by a such a perfectly thrown ball.

I loved Wilson's attitude and effort. The kid is a true Sophomore and has really come into his own this year. I want him to stick around all four years because he will be one of the all-time greats at Utah. Given the bit more experience he will not throw those three picks, and without those three picks Utah wins 45-34 in regulation.

Also in the OT plays, I wonder if Wilson just made the wrong reads on the plays.

Jarid in Cedar
09-15-2013, 07:00 PM
For good measure, I watched the game twice. Once for offense and once for defense.

Offense

1. Wilson is going to be special. He made some young QB mistakes, and they were the difference in the game last night. But he responded to every step back with a step forward. We scored 3 touchdowns on the series right after each of the INT's. He is a better runner than the opposition gives him credit for. He has some speed, but his size is a big part of it. LB's and safeties don't bring him down on first contact, and he has some wiggle in the open field. Watching him outrun safeties is fun. I know the experience he got last year was big for him, but I really wish he was a RS-Fr. He compares very favorably to Hundley last season. I don't think he leaves early on us(unless he hits 4000+ as a Jr), but it wish I was looking at 3 more years instead of just 2. Look at the difference between Mannion in 2011 and 2013. That will be Wilson next season.

2. I really don't know what to think about our running game. We go from looking like shit to churning out 253 yds/30 carries in the second half. I really think that it comes down to the inexperience at both tackles. Poutasi is a true soph, and Aiono is a RS-Fr. As I rewatched the game, especially the first half, OSU's Defensive ends were getting massive penetration and taking out the running game in the backfield. Watching closely though, the tackles were bypassing that guy and moving on to the second level right from the snap. They weren't even making a move at them, so I have to assume that they were doing what the play was intended. That said, I think that both of them do not recognize who is biggest risk to the play. Hopefully, this will improve with expereince. On the first down at the 8 in the 2nd quarter(drive we got a FG), we ran a sweep to the right side. The center, guard, and tackle all pulled, bypassing the DT who hit Poole for a 3 yard loss. That same play, and the same result happened in the first half against USU and Weber St. In every game, we have made excellent adjustments in blocking schemes and run very well in the second half. it is as if we need to have several plays blow up just to see who is kicking our ass. Then we adjust to block them.

3. JT is very good when he pulls from the off side from the play. He usually pulled on counters and off of the fly sweep fake. He threw some devastating blocks that sprung Poole in the second half.

4. Poole is a perfect back for DE's offense. He was excellent out of the backfield, and had some big short yardage gains in addition to his big runs. York may end up being a square peg in this offense. Radley should start to see more time. He has been excellent when he gets a chance.

5. We have a PAC-12 offense now. The perfect storm that worked against us last year(lack of skill at QB, OL, and lack of experience at the OC), has been fully reversed on all 3 fronts. 45 in regulation should be enough to win most games in the conference. I am bullish about the future on this side of the ball.

Defense

1. The secondary just got beat by a fabulous QB and receiving corp last night. After rewatching the game, there were only about 4 big plays where the defender was not in adequate position on the play(Long pass to Cook on the 4th and 1, long pass to Cook to set up their 2nd TD, First play in OT, and big pass to set up their first field goal). The rest of the big plays, Mannion just flat dropped a dime that would have beat even good NFL corners. On the 4th and 9, he threw the ball high and away from the defense and the WR made a spectacular catch. If he had the ball more on target, McGill would have had a chance to break it up. Their 2nd TD( to the TE) was a pass that was placed high and away from the coverage, where only his player could get to it. The corners are very young(or inexperienced), but were in good position most of the night. They will get better when the ball is in the air with time. I am excited to see Porter and Thomas as Juniors/Seniors. They will be held in the same light as Smith, Burton, etc.

2. So if you have a QB that can drop a 50 yard pass on a postcard, what can you do to slow him. How about knock him on his ass? This game was lost with our inability to get pressure on Mannion. Our schemes are very vanilla or very arrogant. Our DLine mostly just bullrushed with little variation. We don't run many line stunts(a few twists on the interior). It as if we expect our guys to just be better than the guy in front of him. The schemes don't give them any help. It was the same story against USU. I brushed off that game thinking that we were more concerned about staying in lanes to contain Keeton. We didn't get any pressure with the base set all night. Even when we blitzed it was just linebackers shooting straight ahead, no variation, no weak dog stunts. Nothing to confuse the line, nothing to overload one gap. Nothing. We do absolutely nothing to confuse the Offense. We are not USC, Alabama, etc. But our front 7 game plan assumes that we are.

3. Norris has improved exponentially in coverage. He had tight coverage on backs and TE's all night. He either successfully defended the pass or tackled the receiver immediately for a short gain. He got caught out of position on a screen to Woods in the second quarter, but that was about it. I thought he played the best game of his career last night. Whittingham was solid as well. He had a few bad downs, but he will likely grade out very well on the game. I think that he will replace Fehoko as a starter from here on out.

4. If the defense does not improve from here on out, Sitake better not be too comfortable with his job. I don't know if the scheme issues are a lack of creativity or a spate of arrogance. I do now that unless we start to become creative with our line play or our blitz packages, our DB's are going to look much worse than they actually are playing.

Overall, I was pleased with the fight in this dog. We have been down early and big against both USU and OSU and have continued to battle back against the odds. We have to get more creative/daring on the defensive front. The offense is getting to where we need it to be, and we should be in almost all of the games on the schedule. I think that Whit needs to take a hard look at what is going on in the defensive game plan. We were successful our first season because the conference was not familiar with our tendencies, schemes, etc. They now have plenty of tape, and we haven't adjusted. They have called "check". Now it is our move.

concerned
09-15-2013, 07:49 PM
For good measure, I watched the game twice. Once for offense and once for defense.

Offense

1. Wilson is going to be special. He made some young QB mistakes, and they were the difference in the game last night. But he responded to every step back with a step forward. We scored 3 touchdowns on the series right after each of the INT's. He is a better runner than the opposition gives him credit for. He has some speed, but his size is a big part of it. LB's and safeties don't bring him down on first contact, and he has some wiggle in the open field. Watching him outrun safeties is fun. I know the experience he got last year was big for him, but I really wish he was a RS-Fr. He compares very favorably to Hundley last season. I don't think he leaves early on us(unless he hits 4000+ as a Jr), but it wish I was looking at 3 more years instead of just 2. Look at the difference between Mannion in 2011 and 2013. That will be Wilson next season.

If we are gong to be successful in the Pac 12, we will have have to have another special qb to replace Wilson, and another to replace the next one, etc.

Jarid in Cedar
09-15-2013, 08:18 PM
If we are gong to be successful in the Pac 12, we will have have to have another special qb to replace Wilson, and another to replace the next one, etc.

I think Manning fits the bill and I really like what Isom could become.

LA Ute
09-15-2013, 08:19 PM

Well, having had one now it should be easier to get the next one (who may well be Manning). Shouldn't it? 808

concerned
09-15-2013, 08:50 PM
Well, having had one now it should be easier to get the next one (who may well be Manning). Shouldn't it? 808

You would hope so. Qbs want to go to schools that showcase their talents and devp them for the nfl

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-15-2013, 08:50 PM
JIC. I haven't had a chance but since you rewatched twice, you're probably as knowledgable as anyone. The OT touchdown throw. I believe it was Thomas that got a touch on it, which deflected the ball to Woods, who made a great adjustment grab for the win. What I couldn't tell is if Woods was the intended receiver. Because if he was, and Thomas doesn't touch it, that ball is way beyond Woods reach and we probably go to 2OT.

That just seems how that game went. They got the bounce and we just couldn't quite close out.

Jarid in Cedar
09-15-2013, 09:03 PM
JIC. I haven't had a chance but since you rewatched twice, you're probably as knowledgable as anyone. The OT touchdown throw. I believe it was Thomas that got a touch on it, which deflected the ball to Woods, who made a great adjustment grab for the win. What I couldn't tell is if Woods was the intended receiver. Because if he was, and Thomas doesn't touch it, that ball is way beyond Woods reach and we probably go to 2OT.

That just seems how that game went. They got the bounce and we just couldn't quite close out.

It was Walker who deflected, and I had the same thought that it may have sailed for an incompletion if he didn't redirect it.

Solon
09-15-2013, 09:09 PM
3. Norris has improved exponentially in coverage. He had tight coverage on backs and TE's all night. He either successfully defended the pass or tackled the receiver immediately for a short gain. He got caught out of position on a screen to Woods in the second quarter, but that was about it. I thought he played the best game of his career last night. Whittingham was solid as well. He had a few bad downs, but he will likely grade out very well on the game. I think that he will replace Fehoko as a starter from here on out.

[. . .]
We were successful our first season because the conference was not familiar with our tendencies, schemes, etc. They now have plenty of tape, and we haven't adjusted. They have called "check". Now it is our move.

Good thoughts, JiC. I was pleasantly surprised by Whittingham's energy. He laid a couple of eggs, but seemed to be flying to the ball. At least it looked that way on TV.

As for the otehr point, Mannion said as much in the postgame interview. He knew what the Utes like to do on the goalline, and was able to attack it. You're right - time for the Utes to evolve a little bit. We're seeing the evolution on offense (anyone else think that Erickson has a pass-play-counter built into that QB-keep, but didn't need it because Wilson kept gaining 17 yards a pop?), but now we need to see it on defense too.

Utah
09-15-2013, 10:25 PM
How much have injuries hurt us? How different would yesterday we had Scott at the other WR spot and Blechen at LB? How much better/more effective is Reilly if he plays DE the whole game instead of bouncing around?

I'm not making excuses, and our depth is getting better, but we aren't a PAC-12 team depth-wise yet. Close though.

BTW, what happened to Andre Lewis? Will we ever have a 4 star JC guy pan out for us? What better opportunity for Denham and Lewis with Scott going down...and they get beat out by Fitzgerald? And what's York's problem?

Come one guys. Do better. We need you.

Diehard Ute
09-16-2013, 08:03 AM
How much have injuries hurt us? How different would yesterday we had Scott at the other WR spot and Blechen at LB? How much better/more effective is Reilly if he plays DE the whole game instead of bouncing around?

I'm not making excuses, and our depth is getting better, but we aren't a PAC-12 team depth-wise yet. Close though.

BTW, what happened to Andre Lewis? Will we ever have a 4 star JC guy pan out for us? What better opportunity for Denham and Lewis with Scott going down...and they get beat out by Fitzgerald? And what's York's problem?

Come one guys. Do better. We need you.

Lewis missed 2 weeks of camp with a hamstring, so he's behind. Reality is most JC guys struggle with blocking and that's what keeps them out.

Denham was already starting when Scott went down and started this week along with Dres and Fitzgerald.

York doesn't work hard is my guess, but he also isn't as good of a fit for this offense as Poole. Poole is more dynamic and a player who can legitimately split out as a receiver.

Bacana Ute
09-16-2013, 08:55 AM
Well I'm finally able to bring myself to posting about the game. Great game to be at, definitely got my money's worth just wanted a different outcome of course.
First off, our defense needs to figure out how to create some turnovers, you can't consistently loss the turnover battle and expect to win. I know Coach Whitt has talked about that a lot the past two years.

I still feel bad for Porter. That kid was taken out behind the wood shed and beaten all night long. Drove me nuts, everyone in the stadium knew the ball was coming his way every time he was in the game. I get that he is just a RS, but the dude needs to learn to turn his head and there is no excuse in Utah's system to break coverage until you are 100% sure the ball has passed the line of scrimmage and the opponent is in fact running.

To the defense of the DBs, the front 7 put little to no pressure on Mannion all night long. We knew going in to the game if he was given time to throw he would pick the defense apart and he put up a career best in yardage.

On a bright side, the offense has figured out to score and the defense is stellar against the run. This gives me hope going into Saturday down in Provo. BYU is a running team, or at least they haven't proven an ability to pass yet. If we stuff the run and put up 30 on offense, I like our chances of pushing it to 4 years in row. GO UTES>

Devildog
09-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Capitalizing on opportunities is important in these games.

We turned the ball over three times, they never did.

How many times did they punt? They did their best to keep Wilson and company off the field. How many damn 3rd and Looong did they convert?

I actually had a great time at this game. There was always the feeling that we were still in it and had a chance to win throughout, even when we were down we were never that down... considering what we had been showing on the field. We made several young team mistakes (including penalties) but still managed to take the lead at the end of regulation.

We may pull a surprise upset this season yet. But this schedule looks brutal and we knew we needed to take advantage of every opportunity we have to win. I'm still holding out hope for a bowl game... we are going to need to pull an upset or two to make that happen.

I feel a lot more confidence in our offense, but uncharacteristically, I'm concerned about our defense.

We need to capitalize on our opportunities... and unfortunately... We let this one get away. This was a winnable game for us.

Utah
09-16-2013, 12:05 PM
The best thing about the game?

We are worlds better than we were last year. We lose that game 35-10 last year. We still have issues, but we are getting better.