PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on the 2013 Utes (to this point)

UteBeliever aka Port
09-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Take it or leave it...

1) Utah receivers are blocking MUCH, MUCH better this year than in the past. Best since Urban was here, IMO. I am very encouraged by this. A ton of Wilson's yards were almost solely the result of receivers and even linemen getting downfield and blocking. It's a thing of beauty and it's really helping this offense move the ball down the field.

2) Route design and running is setting up receivers for lots of YAC. This wasn't case the past few years. Receivers were left to make a move on own. I complained past few years that routes/pass were leaving receivers at dead stop while defenders were at speed. Not seeing that this year. Routes are designed such that Wilson can hit them in stride with room to run. A big reason that so many of our plays are "chunk plays."

3) This Poole kid looks like he's going to be a weapon. Doesn't shy from delivering a blow while running but has moves, quickness, speed. You get the sense watching him that he's a threat to break a big one on a large portion of his runs.

4) Travis Wilson is not a run first QB, but can run. Reminds me in some respects of Alex Smith. He is a threat with legs. This is important. Also, he is very good at selling the handoff on the option. He looks to possibly be the biggest threat in the read option since Alex. Nobody else has really been effective since then. Partly because they couldn't sell it and partly because they never run. Wilson sells it and can run. Nice.

5) Don't think all 3 INTs are on Wilson. I think the route/effort from receiver *might* have been partially responsible for at least 2. (That receiver is a very good receiver that shows flashes of brilliance. He was responsible for some of that fantastic downfield blocking on at least one Wilson running TD. However, he is not yet "elite." He needs to fight for the ball both to catch it and to prevent INTs. One of the passes long down the sideline hit him in the chest. Have to catch that to be elite. OrSU's receivers made several of those catches.)

6) Defensive schemes need retooling. Last year we put Star and 3 DBs in NFL. Star is tearing it up already in the NFL. We should have been best in PAC12. Palepoi may well be Star 2.0. We aren't maximizing talent with our schemes. We are running far too much talent through this defense to be so bad so consistently on 3rd/4th and forever. I don't personally think the CBs/Shah are the problem right now. I think the problem is higher up the chain of command. Which lead me to 7...

7) McCain, Smith, Burton, Stanford, etc ALL played with same technique and philosophy as current our CBs. Get over it. It prevents long TDs. It allows you to live for another play. Mannion & Cooks are fantastic. Generally, our DBs were in good position. Except when we go to zone.... to #8.

8)Unsure that rushing 3 and dropping 8 into a poorly executed soft zone is the answer on 3rd/4th and long. See it repeatedly, not working. We aren't a good zone team.

9) We HAVE to get the tight ends more involved. HAVE to.For success now and to show Dalton Shultz/others they can have great career at Utah. That being said, the offense is putting up very impressive numbers without using the tight ends...

10) It looks like we might have a kicker. Andy Phillips looks pretty good.

Now, in terms of coverage, I sometimes wonder what kind of coverage we are playing. At times, I don't know if we are playing a really, really bad zone in the backfield or if we are playing a really, really bad man. At some point, it's hard to know which is which when guys are so open right in the middle of the field. OrSU's pass down to the 5 or so in OT as an example of that. 5 defenders within 5 yards of the reception.

If we are going to play zone, then we need to commit to being good at it. We are NOT good at it right now. We are terrible. Perhaps it would be wise to take a look at how BYU plays zone. They actually do it very well. They cover up a plethora of problems in their d backfield with the way they play. Our zones seem to EXPOSE the problems in our D backfield.

One final thing: I was THOROUGHLY impressed with the team. The offense didn't quit when things were rough. Wilson didn't quit when he made mistakes. Even the players on defense fought and scrapped. (I blame coaching and schemes).

Wilson shrugged off the INTs and went to work doing his damndest to win the game with his arm and legs and body. He played an inspired, albeit imperfect, game. Very impressive.

This was a game that Utah would have lost 55 to 13 last season. A loss is a loss. No changing that, but it is encouraging to see Wilson never say die. To see the team keep fighting for 60 minutes to try to win this game. There deserves to be some praise to the team for that.

Mormon Red Death
09-15-2013, 02:34 PM
the zone coverage is horrible. If we're going to rush only 3 then let's play man to man on 4 I have the other four in zone coverage. How many times this year have you seen the Utes in zone coverage and guys are wide open

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Snowman
09-15-2013, 02:37 PM
Portland, Nice post. I'm glad I can read your insights over here where I don't have to run 10 different ad scripts to see what you have to say.

UteBeliever aka Port
09-15-2013, 02:40 PM
Portland, Nice post. I'm glad I can read your insights over here where I don't have to run 10 different ad scripts to see what you have to say.

Where did that happen? Utezone? Dang. I'm not sure what I did to cause that.

OrangeUte
09-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Nice post PU. My rewatching of the game left me with the Conclusion that our defensive backs were often in decent position, but their technique when the ball arrives is not yet at the level it needs to be

uteinlogan
09-15-2013, 05:50 PM
Nice post PU. My rewatching of the game left me with the Conclusion that our defensive backs were often in decent position, but their technique when the ball arrives is not yet at the level it needs to be

They were almost always in the right place. Oregon State even made some damn good catches. But USU hit Orphey hard because he won't turn back. It's week 3 now and it is still an issue. If he looks back he turns one of their TDs into a pick. Also, I am so sick and tired of allowing 4th down passes, especially ones that go deep down the field late in the game. I could go my entire life without seeing a 4th down conversion in any game and I'd be ok with it. We have man coverage with our corners, the receiver runs an in route, but the corner stops to run towards the ball right before the receiver again takes off on more of a flag route? It's man coverage and it's not a run. GET YOUR MAN. It's like watching a Utah vs TDS game.

I'm very frustrated we continue to play the same kind of ball as last year. We have a young team, yes, but that does not mean they should continue to make the same mistakes. :anger:

LA Ute
09-15-2013, 06:00 PM
They were almost always in the right place. Oregon State even made some damn good catches. But USU hit Orphey hard because he won't turn back. It's week 3 now and it is still an issue. If he looks back he turns one of their TDs into a pick. Also, I am so sick and tired of allowing 4th down passes, especially ones that go deep down the field late in the game. I could go my entire life without seeing a 4th down conversion in any game and I'd be ok with it. We have man coverage with our corners, the receiver runs an in route, but the corner stops to run towards the ball right before the receiver again takes off on more of a flag route? It's man coverage and it's not a run. GET YOUR MAN. It's like watching a Utah vs TDS game.

I'm very frustrated we continue to play the same kind of ball as last year. We have a young team, yes, but that does not mean they should continue to make the same mistakes. :anger:

UTEopia can add more, but I understand that for as long as Kyle and Fred Whittingham have had anything to do with Utah football, the DBs have been taught not to turn around but to watch the receiver's eyes instead. It's a defensive style and philosophy. I also wonder sometimes about it, but the DBs can't be blamed for doing as they're told.

uteinlogan
09-15-2013, 10:03 PM
UTEopia can add more, but I understand that for as long as Kyle and Fred Whittingham have had anything to do with Utah football, the DBs have been taught not to turn around but to watch the receiver's eyes instead. It's a defensive style and philosophy. I also wonder sometimes about it, but the DBs can't be blamed for doing as they're told.

That's interesting. But if that's true I still don't get it.

LA Ute
09-15-2013, 10:30 PM

I am a well-known non-football mind here, but IIRC, I think i read somewhere today that the priorities are (1) get the tackle and avoid the big play ("bend but don't break"); (2) break up the pass; (3) intercept. The DB watches the receiver's eyes and hands and reacts accordingly. A DB must have the green light from KW to go for picks first. Jarid said somewhere else that Kyle says CB is the second-hardest position to play on his teams. Only QB is more demanding.

FWIW.

NorthwestUteFan
09-16-2013, 07:36 AM
A DB who turns to look for the ball can potentially get faked out by eye and head fakes on later plays, and we will see receivers catch the ball 15 yards away from where the DB thinks he should be.

On several of the long passes in the game Richard Sherman would not have been able to knock down the ball. I am more comfortable letting the DB minimize the damage than having the DB get burned or fall down when going for a deflection or interception. It is a very special player who can turn to go for a deflection but still make the tackle if the ball gets past him.

U-Ute
09-16-2013, 09:37 AM

If you turn and look for the ball, you can get burned big on double move routes. Think about it like this: the receiver makes a move and turns to look for the ball, you close and turn to look for the ball, then the receiver cuts away from you and you don't see it because you are looking for the ball.

I prefer this style: you watch the receiver, stay with him, and then put your hand in there when he extends to catch the ball.

Sure, you can get burned if the ball is placed in a location where you can't really get in on it, but then you make the tackle and move on.

SoCalPat
09-16-2013, 10:04 AM

It's a classic example of risk vs. reward. Now, there are a ton of variables in play here and we could address them all day long. But the bottom line is this: you rarely see INTs off long passes that are returned for TDs. And not every INT off a long pass turns into a drive for the offense that ends in a touchdown. But if you get beaten on a long pass play, points are almost certain for the offensive team. At the same time, OCs are loathe to call consecutive deep pass plays for a variety of reasons, and when it does happen, it's almost out of desperation. So by merely forcing an incomplete pass, you're putting them into a corner.

There are plenty of benefits to merely forcing an incomplete pass. The flip side to that is a result that's far more damaging. Hence, risk vs. reward.

Jarid in Cedar
09-16-2013, 11:05 AM
It's a classic example of risk vs. reward. Now, there are a ton of variables in play here and we could address them all day long. But the bottom line is this: you rarely see INTs off long passes that are returned for TDs. And not every INT off a long pass turns into a drive for the offense that ends in a touchdown. But if you get beaten on a long pass play, points are almost certain for the offensive team. At the same time, OCs are loathe to call consecutive deep pass plays for a variety of reasons, and when it does happen, it's almost out of desperation. So by merely forcing an incomplete pass, you're putting them into a corner.

There are plenty of benefits to merely forcing an incomplete pass. The flip side to that is a result that's far more damaging. Hence, risk vs. reward.

To further this point, most interceptions on deep throws are by the safety who is playing center field, rarely by the corner in primary coverage.

Solon
09-16-2013, 11:41 AM
To further this point, most interceptions on deep throws are by the safety who is playing center field, rarely by the corner in primary coverage.

The longtime adage is Zone for picks, Man for sacks.

Most of a CB's job happens before the ball gets into the air. I remember people questioning Deion Sanders because he didn't have that many picks his first few years with the cowboys. Well, yeah. His guy was always covered. I agree that DBs should look for ball at the right time, but that's less important that maintaining position. How often do we see guys go for the pick, miss, and the receiver turns it into a big gain? Mannion's accuracy was very impressive on some of those throws. Not much you can do. There were plenty of plays, though, where guys were wide open. This is where to improve.

sancho
09-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Most of a CB's job happens before the ball gets into the air.

I feel like most of a CBs job should be done by the defensive line.

Mannion was not pressured. Take the top 4 CBs of all time, and they will get burned over and over again by any QB with infinite time.

DrumNFeather
09-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Good post PU.

In thinking about this team, it really feels like we're in the middle of the season before the season. That is - with Wilson as a JR and a little more depth, I think we've got a squad that will be very competitive next year and potentially compete for the division. However, it would be nice if we didn't have to have another losing season before seeing some results from the Pac 12 bump (and I think we need Erickson around this program as long as he'll have us, especially for recruiting purposes).

I believe this team will compete in every game this year save Oregon, provided that we don't allow the game to get away too early (ASU, Washington, many, many other games in years 1-2).

Just gotta get this pesky rivalry game out of the way and have a bye week to prepare for a huge two game home stand vs. UCLA and Stanford.

U-Ute
09-16-2013, 03:09 PM
The major complaint I have is our LB's in pass coverage. Specifically zone coverage. Our LB's are doing a good job in man coverage, but a lot of those 3rd and long conversions happened in the middle of the field behind our LB's in zone coverage. I don't think they're getting enough depth.

The good news is I think it is purely a technique thing that can be taught.