PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Win!! Cubs Win!!! Holy Cow!!! Cubs Win... The Chicago Cubs Thread

Mormon Red Death
02-20-2013, 01:09 PM
This is the thread where we talk of anything cubs related from tinkers to evers to chance to williams climbing the ivy to the Greatest 2nd baseman ever Ryne Sandberg to Chicago finally flying the World Series pennant that has taken 100+ years to acheive. Also this is the place to make fun of those mouth breathers from St. Louis.

Mormon Red Death
02-20-2013, 01:16 PM
To Get us on the right track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9IlS9fiyd8

Mormon Red Death
02-27-2013, 06:09 AM
Giancarlo Stanton will most likely be on the trade block (http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/olney_buster/id/8990442/mlb-marlins-owner-jeffrey-loria-consider-moving-mike-stanton). IMO the cubs should do anything possible to land him.

IdahoUteTroutHead
02-27-2013, 06:55 AM
This is the thread where we talk of anything cubs related from tinkers to evers to chance to williams climbing the ivy to the Greatest 2nd baseman ever Ryne Sandberg to Chicago finally flying the World Series pennant that has taken 100+ years to acheive. Also this is the place to make fun of those mouth breathers from St. Louis.

I guess someone always has to say it before the season starts and the Cubs eventually collapse.....

Mormon Red Death
02-27-2013, 07:11 AM
I guess someone always has to say it before the season starts and the Cubs eventually collapse.....

you are a buzzkill. Its spring!!! Hope is eternal!!!

IdahoUteTroutHead
02-27-2013, 07:13 AM
I just want baseball to start. I will be at spring training games in AZ tomorrow. How is that for a buzzkill?

FREEDOM!!!!!!!

Mormon Red Death
02-27-2013, 07:21 AM
I just want baseball to start. I will be at spring training games in AZ tomorrow. How is that for a buzzkill?

FREEDOM!!!!!!!

I wish I was there. Alas I will have to settle for going to Vegas for the Pac12 tourney.

NForkUte
02-27-2013, 07:25 AM
That works too.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Clark Addison
02-27-2013, 07:56 AM
So what are expectations for this season? It looks like most places have the over/under for wins this year at around 72. Maybe I am just a starry eyed optimist, but I would put it at around 75. I would be pretty satisfied that they are moving in the right direction with anything above 78 or 80, but it would take a .500 season to make me happy.

UBlender
02-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Giancarlo Stanton will most likely be on the trade block (http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/olney_buster/id/8990442/mlb-marlins-owner-jeffrey-loria-consider-moving-mike-stanton). IMO the cubs should do anything possible to land him.

The Cubs have so little of value that I doubt they could put together a viable offer for Stanton without completely gutting what they do have. But I could always be wrong.

Similar to Utah basketball, this is a rebuild that is going to take several years and a lot of patience. I like the approach so far, but it is always interesting to see if they have the patience to stick with it or if seats start to feel warm a couple years in causing them to panic and change the plan.

Wins and losses didn't concern me much last year, I was usually just watching to see what the youngsters like Castro were doing. I suspect this year will be more of the same.

I was digging the rumors that the Yankees might be interested in taking Soriano off our hands over the weekend to help fill in for Granderson, but it doesn't seem like that is happening now. :(

Mormon Red Death
02-27-2013, 09:16 AM
The Cubs have so little of value that I doubt they could put together a viable offer for Stanton without completely gutting what they do have. But I could always be wrong.

Similar to Utah basketball, this is a rebuild that is going to take several years and a lot of patience. I like the approach so far, but it is always interesting to see if they have the patience to stick with it or if seats start to feel warm a couple years in causing them to panic and change the plan.

Wins and losses didn't concern me much last year, I was usually just watching to see what the youngsters like Castro were doing. I suspect this year will be more of the same.

I was digging the rumors that the Yankees might be interested in taking Soriano off our hands over the weekend to help fill in for Granderson, but it doesn't seem like that is happening now. :(

I would love for the cubs to be rid of Soriano. As for Stanton he is 23 and will be/almost is a super star perrrenial all star. When a player of this caliber is available you go for it.

So Giancarlo finished with 37 bombs. Through age 22 season, Stanton how has 93 home runs. His stats look something like this:

Season 1: 22 home runs in 359 at bats = home run every 16.3 at bats
Season 2: 34 home runs in 516 at bats = home run every 15.7 at bats
Season 3: 37 home runs in 449 at bats = home run every 12.1 at bats

Over a 600 at bat season, that equates to 37, 38, and 47 home runs. He is 22 years old. In 2001, Barry Bonds averaged a home run every 6.5 at bats (!!!) because he walks nearly 200 times. In 1998, Mark McGwire averaged a home run every 7.2 plate appearances. So Stanton has a ways to go, but I think will get there.

Stanton missed 40 games in 2012. If he had stayed healthy, the 22 year old prodigy would have almost certainly lead the NL in homers (Braun lead with 41, just 4 more than Giancarlo). If Stanton had maintain his home runs per at bat number, he would have need 165 at bats in those 40 games to reach 50 home runs. A stretch, but possible. Has there ever been a 22 year old who was a legitimate 50 home run challenger? McGwire hit 37 in the first half of 1986, when he was 23. But he finished with only 49.

If Giancarlo can play 150 games next year, he will get 550 + at bats. If he does that, he will be a solid chance at 50 homers in a season. And he will only be 23. He is the best young slugger since McGwire himself. Remember the animal Ryan Howard was his first few years? He was also a 26 year old rookie. His 58 home runs came in his age 27 season. Giancarlo reminds me of him, but 6 years younger and more potential. It's scary to think this guy is a realistic 50 homer guy...and he is probably 2/3s of the way to his potential.

IdahoUteTroutHead
02-27-2013, 09:54 AM
Soriano is done and done, he never did do much for them.

19UTE14
02-27-2013, 03:01 PM
The cubs roster got much worse, and they lost 102 games last year.... yikes. Not happy times in Chi town

Mormon Red Death
03-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Cubs Starting Rotation Projections

Jeff Samardizdja
Matt Garza
Edwin Jackson
Carlos Villanueva
Scott Baker

If the cubs had any offensive power I would say that would be good enough to win the central.

Mormon Red Death
04-02-2013, 05:50 AM

Mormon Red Death
04-02-2013, 05:51 AM

Mormon Red Death
04-02-2013, 08:56 AM
Aren't you in Detroit? Time to embrace the Tigers.

I got to 6-10 tiger games a year. I can't however leave my Chicago cubs! Cause I'm a cub fan....and a bud man!

pellegrino
04-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Aren't you in Detroit? Time to embrace the Tigers.
location means nothing to cubbies fans. In our mind's eye, we live around the corner from Wrigley and are there for every home game and at Harry Caray's for every away game.

pellegrino
04-02-2013, 10:55 AM
I will accept that if you grew up in Chicago.
how about you just accept that for those who claim it, regardless of where they grew up or how they became cubs fans.

Mormon Red Death
04-02-2013, 11:00 AM
I will accept that if you grew up in Chicago.

I grew up in a location that doesn't have a major league team. Under the accepted rules of sports fandom I became a cubs fan in 1984.

Loyalties
18. If you live in a city that has fielded a professional team since your formative years, you have to root for that team. None of this, "The Bengals weren't very good when I was growing up in Cincy, so I became a Cowboys fan" crap.Also, you can't start rooting for a team, back off when they're in a down cycle, then renew the relationship once the team starts winning again. All those Cowboys fans who jumped off the bandwagon in the late-'80s, jumped back on during the Emmitt/Aikman Era, then jumped back off in the late-'90s ... you know who you are. You shouldn't even be allowed out in public.
19. Once you choose a team, you're stuck with that team for the rest of your life ... unless one of the following conditions applies:(There's nothing worse than a Bandwagon Jumper. If sports were a prison and sports fans made up all the prisoners, the Bandwagon Jumpers would be like the child molesters -- everyone else would pick on them, take turns beating them up and force them to toss more salads than Emeril Lagasse.)
Your team moves to another city. All bets are off when that happens. In fact, if you decided to turn off that sport entirely, nobody would blame you.
You grew up in a city that didn't field a team for a specific sport -- so you picked a random team -- and then either a.) your city landed a team, or b.) you moved to a city that fielded a team for that specific sport. For instance, one of my Connecticut buddies rooted for the Sixers during the Doctor J Era, then happened to be living in Orlando when the Magic came to town. Now he's a Magic fan. That's acceptable.
One of your immediate family members either plays professionally or takes a relevant management/coaching/front office position with a pro team.
You follow your favorite college star (and this has to be a once-in-a-generation favorite college star) to the pros and root for his team du jour ... like if you were a UNC fan for the past 20 years, and you rooted for the Bulls (because of MJ) and then the Raptors (because of Vince). Only works if there isn't a pro team in your area.

Clark Addison
04-02-2013, 11:04 AM
I grew up in Chicago, but welcome Pellegrino, MRD, and any others to the Cubs family. Unless they are also White Sox fans.

Mormon Red Death
04-02-2013, 11:13 AM
Not sure where those rules are coming from, but don't they say it's acceptable to take the home team after you move?

1984? That's when the Tigers last won the series! You made the wrong choice, but you can correct it now. You can always keep the Cubs as your NL team.

I made my first trip to Wrigley last summer to see Verlander and the Tigers beat the Cubs. The best time I've ever had attending a baseball game. Perfect park, perfect day.

Rule 19 states:

19. Once you choose a team, you're stuck with that team for the rest of your life ... unless one of the following conditions applies:(There's nothing worse than a Bandwagon Jumper. If sports were a prison and sports fans made up all the prisoners, the Bandwagon Jumpers would be like the child molesters -- everyone else would pick on them, take turns beating them up and force them to toss more salads than Emeril Lagasse.)

Hey the tigers are fine. If they do well like they did this last year I am happy for them. As I previously mentioned I go to 6-10 games a year. My son even likes the Tigers. I am however a cubs fan. I don't follow the tigers like I do the cubs. I try to plan vacations that coincide with the Cubs playing in whatever city (I have seen them in Detroit, LA, cincy, pittsburgh, san fran and of course Chicago). That fandom cannot be replaced by being in Detroit.

pellegrino
04-02-2013, 11:20 AM
No dice. But in a spirit of generosity, I will extend my acceptance to those with parents who grew up in Chicago or those who lived in Chicago for 5+ years.
lame. my dad and his older brothers became cubs fans in the 40s (when they were pretty good), despite living in a different time zone (a local boy was drafted by them) they kept following over the years waxing and waning, and then when WGN started broadcasting on cable in hte late 70s, they (my dad especially) picked up their fandom again, perhaps out of nostalgia and not having any other MLB team nearby to cheer for (most Utahns were fans of California teams) so I grew up a cubs fan, this too coincided with the rise of Mark Grace, Ryne Sandberg, Andre Dawson, etc. It stuck, I didn't have much say in the matter, but I didn't care either because it was time spent with Dad.

Mormon Red Death
04-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Just giving you a hard time. I'm a lifelong Tigers fan because my Dad grew up in Detroit going to Tigers games. My first sports memory is watching the '84 series with him. But I've only even been to Detroit once. I recently moved to CO and will be just like you - a casual fan of the Rockies who watches Tigers games and box scores like a hawk.

Nitpick - rule 19 stated that people who didn't grow up in an MLB city, picked a team at random, then moved to an MLB city can legally adopt the hometeam.

If you ever get to Michigan let me know... I would be glad to take you to a game.

Mormon Red Death
04-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Nitpick - rule 19 stated that people who didn't grow up in an MLB city, picked a team at random, then moved to an MLB city can legally adopt the hometeam.

I didnt pick them... they picked me.

pellegrino
04-02-2013, 11:35 AM
preach it, brother!

UBlender
04-02-2013, 01:33 PM

Yep, summer afternoons of my youth with Harry Caray and Steve Stone. Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Rick Sutcliffe, Jerome Walton (!), Mark Grace....win or lose it always felt like everybody was having fun.

Mormon Red Death
04-05-2013, 06:18 AM
Another win for the cubs!!! The first series win of the season. At this pace they will win a 100 games. :D

Mormon Red Death
04-09-2013, 06:40 AM
What could the cubs get for Marmol? an iffy minor leaguer?

UBlender
04-09-2013, 08:40 AM
What could the cubs get for Marmol? an iffy minor leaguer?

Time to stop trying to get something for him because it ain't happening. Just make him go away. Trade him for some fresh air and peace of mind.

Mormon Red Death
04-09-2013, 09:22 AM
Time to stop trying to get something for him because it ain't happening. Just make him go away. Trade him for some fresh air and peace of mind.

I am just hoping for a minor leaguer that may have some potential or a utility infielder who is a good baserunner.

mpfunk
04-09-2013, 09:40 AM
There is no good reason to ever root for the Detroit Tigers. By doing so you are associating yourself with Red Wing fans, which is the worst association that you could make in sports.

Mormon Red Death
04-09-2013, 09:45 AM
Aren't they the ones who throw octopus? I don't know a thing about hockey, but that is one of the coolest and most unique fan traditions around. And if I'm going to label and stereotype a fan base, it'll be the one in Provo.

Yeah they do that... in the original 6 days it took 8 wins for the Stanley Cup. I don't follow hockey much if any but redwing fans are crazy.

Scorcho
04-10-2013, 10:37 PM
a package with a goat's head was sent to wrigley today to the cubs owner ... odd.

Scratch
04-12-2013, 03:26 PM
I hope Angel Pagan is on the Cubs' payroll.

UBlender
04-12-2013, 03:33 PM
I hope Angel Pagan is on the Cubs' payroll.

Well, he was at one time.....but this is about the Goat Head, which will probably be the Cubs' closer by attrition within a couple of weeks.

Mormon Red Death
04-16-2013, 07:19 AM
Cubs Owner Ricketts promises World Series with Wrigley renovations (http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/9174197/chicago-cubs-win-world-series-wrigley-field-renovations-tom-ricketts-says).

mpfunk
04-17-2013, 09:47 PM
Aren't they the ones who throw octopus? I don't know a thing about hockey, but that is one of the coolest and most unique fan traditions around. And if I'm going to label and stereotype a fan base, it'll be the one in Provo.

Yes those evil bastards do that. A lot of bad can be said about byu fans but the are not as evil as red wing fans

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Hot Lunch
05-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Just got back to my Hotel after hitting Wrigley for the first time. Awesome place to see a game. The Cubs as a team suck really bad but hey, they have a cool place to get their butts handed to them.

FN Phat
05-14-2013, 09:33 PM
Just got back to my Hotel after hitting Wrigley for the first time. Awesome place to see a game. The Cubs as a team suck really bad but hey, they have a cool place to get their butts handed to them.

That has to be on everYones list of must see. I am going to StLouis for some training tomorrow and will catch the game. My first Cardinals game.

Hot Lunch
05-14-2013, 09:45 PM
That has to be on everYones list of must see. I am going to StLouis for some training tomorrow and will catch the game. My first Cardinals game.

If you are a sports fan, you have to get to a game there. One of the best. Seeing a Cards game in St Louis is something that I would love to do as well. I heard that is an awesome pace to see a game as well.

BTW, how close are you to Evansville Indiana? I may have something take me out there this summer.

FN Phat
05-14-2013, 09:57 PM
If you are a sports fan, you have to get to a game there. One of the best. Seeing a Cards game in St Louis is something that I would love to do as well. I heard that is an awesome pace to see a game as well.

BTW, how close are you to Evansville Indiana? I may have something take me out there this summer.

ive never been there but it is only about 1-1/2 to 2 hours away. If you make your way there it would be a good reason to make the trip. Let me know.

Hot Lunch
05-14-2013, 10:30 PM
ive never been there but it is only about 1-1/2 to 2 hours away. If you make your way there it would be a good reason to make the trip. Let me know.

I will for sure. I am trying to get a meeting with a pretty good sized company down there. I have a call with them next week. I will keep you posted.

Scratch
07-04-2013, 03:18 PM
Nice hustle, Starlin.

mUUser
07-30-2013, 09:24 PM
Went to our first Cubs game at Wrigley last night. Really, really cool in so many ways.

LA Ute
07-30-2013, 09:30 PM
Wrigley Field is awesome. Every baseball fan should see a game there at least once. Fenway too.

Scratch
08-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Hitting Wrigley for the first time tonight.

Two Utes
08-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Wrigley Field is awesome. Every baseball fan should see a game there at least once. Fenway too.

Agree. if you love baseball Wrigley is absolute heaven. Nothing like it. If you don't love baseball (or don't even like it) you will have fun.

Scratch
08-01-2013, 10:27 PM
Here's Puig in the box at tonight's game. It was a perfect night for baseball in a perfect setting.

Mormon Red Death
03-17-2014, 02:11 PM
Lets get this going again. Here is a fantastic article (http://grantland.com/features/chicago-cubs-boston-red-sox-theo-epstein/) on the cubs.

hostile
03-17-2014, 09:50 PM
Lets get this going again. Here is a fantastic article (http://grantland.com/features/chicago-cubs-boston-red-sox-theo-epstein/) on the cubs.

i may be able to catch a game in May. My wife has some meetings in Chicago. I'm trying to juggle things so I can tag along.

Applejack
03-18-2014, 07:23 AM
i may be able to catch a game in May. My wife has some meetings in Chicago. I'm trying to juggle things so I can tag along.

I have a life goal to see a ballgame in every home park before I die: I'm half-way there (15 down, 15 to go). Wrigley is the only B.I.G. one that I'm missing.

hostile
03-18-2014, 07:44 AM
I have a life goal to see a ballgame in every home park before I die: I'm half-way there (15 down, 15 to go). Wrigley is the only B.I.G. one that I'm missing.

We are going to hit the new Yankee stadium this spring. I'm well behind you but I have seen 2 games in parks that are no longer in use - Veterans Stadium in Philly and Montreal Stadium.

Applejack
03-18-2014, 08:15 AM
We are going to hit the new Yankee stadium this spring. I'm well behind you but I have seen 2 games in parks that are no longer in use - Veterans Stadium in Philly and Montreal Stadium.

I have a little loophole that helps with that. My official goal is to see a home game of every Major League franchise. That means that I count the Yankees, although I've only seen a game in the old Yankee Stadium (ditto the Astros and Cardinals). It also allows me to simply wait for the Devil Rays to relocate before going to one of their games.

UBlender
03-18-2014, 08:17 AM

That is a good article and I agree with the premise that 2014 is the first year of the Epstein-Hoyer era where things get interesting. I don't expect a great record or the playoffs, but I do expect to see a lot more out of the stockpile of prospects that are supposed to be the foundation for the next push (and a bounce back year for both Rizzo and Castro).

Applejack
03-18-2014, 09:53 AM
Nice, I can count the Twins, Padres, and Nats again.

If you don't count this way, it gets cumbersome with teams changing ballparks. For instance, I've seen dozens of A's games at the Colliseum - should i have to fly back to Oakland (or San Jose) just to watch a game in their new fancy digs? No!

Scratch
03-18-2014, 11:16 AM
I do expect to see a lot more out of the stockpile of prospects that are supposed to be the foundation for the next push (and a bounce back year for both Rizzo and Castro).

You and I apparently have very different definitions of the word "prospect."

Mormon Red Death
03-31-2014, 06:47 AM
1pm Eastern.... ESPN... The Cubs start playing ball again.

Scratch
04-02-2014, 11:09 PM
Does anyone remember when people thought Starlin Castro didn't suck?

Mormon Red Death
04-03-2014, 06:59 AM

those were good times.

UBlender
04-03-2014, 07:37 AM

His suckiness is contagious. He's already ruined Anthony Rizzo. The Cubs better keep Baez far away from him.

Mormon Red Death
05-12-2014, 07:24 PM
My son and I catching his first Cubs game .... In St Louis

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Mormon Red Death
05-12-2014, 09:35 PM
It pays to be a cute kid. Here is my son with his new friend who got the bullpen catcher to throw him a ball

UBlender
05-12-2014, 10:02 PM
It pays to be a cute kid. Here is my son with his new friend who got the bullpen catcher to throw him a ball

You picked a decent night. We may not see 17 runs again cumulatively for two weeks.

LA Ute
05-27-2014, 06:03 PM

UBlender
07-07-2014, 01:10 PM
Cubs achieve what will likely be the high point of the season by sweeping the Red Sox into oblivion at Fenway. With no remaining goals, the tear-down begins: Samardzija and Hammel sent to the A's for prospects.

Any A's fans on here to give their perspective? I wish mpfunk was still alive to talk about this. Looks like a good trade for the Cubs, the two pitchers were both at peak value but the Cubs weren't going anywhere during their run anyway, so cashing them in for a possible star at SS in a couple of years seems like a good idea. One of these days the Cubs will actually have to add some arms to the farm system if this is all going to come together.

Mormon Red Death
07-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Addison Russell will rank #6 overall on the upcoming #BPTop50. That would give the #Cubs the #3, #5, #6, and #18 best prospects in MiLB. - baseball prospectus twet

2016 is shaping up as the start to a special run. Anthony Rizzo is having a breakout year and will continue to get better. The cubs will trade Starlin

UBlender
07-07-2014, 03:17 PM
Addison Russell will rank #6 overall on the upcoming #BPTop50. That would give the #Cubs the #3, #5, #6, and #18 best prospects in MiLB. - baseball prospectus twet

2016 is shaping up as the start to a special run. Anthony Rizzo is having a breakout year and will continue to get better. The cubs will trade Starlin

I think you are right that they would like to trade Castro at some point, although it sounds like Baez is struggling a little at AAA so they may need to wait a while and make sure he is going to pan out. I assume that of Baez, Russell and Castro you have your 2B, your SS and the other is either a bust or gets traded.

UBlender
08-06-2014, 09:05 AM
Javy Baez hits the game winning home run in the 11th inning of his MLB debut. Not too shabby.

I'm still irrationally nervous about Baez being up with the Cubs. It's one thing to say you have a bunch of supposedly great prospects on the farm but when they start coming up things get real. What if he's a bust???

Scratch
08-06-2014, 10:27 AM
What if he's a bust???

Then he'll be right at home in Chicago.

UBlender
08-06-2014, 02:32 PM
Then he'll be right at home in Chicago.

If he's bad then the Cubs may not win the World Series for a while and I just can't fathom that.

Mormon Red Death
08-13-2014, 10:53 AM
Thanks Ray Jazzeryi... This article (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/chicago-cubs-rebuilding-theo-epstein-javier-baez-kris-bryant-jake-arrieta/) gives me the biggest Cubs boner possible.

Mormon Red Death
08-28-2014, 10:51 AM
Soler (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/soler-powered-a-big-debut-for-the-cubs-rookie/) Power baby!

Mormon Red Death
10-29-2014, 08:18 PM
Coach Maddon!! Welcome to the Cubs (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11786685)!

Mormon Red Death
12-10-2014, 06:12 AM
Jon Lester is a Cub (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12008248/mlb-jon-lester-changes-cubs-course)

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 06:59 AM
Jon Lester is a Cub (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12008248/mlb-jon-lester-changes-cubs-course)

Poor guy.

Mormon Red Death
12-10-2014, 08:27 AM
Poor guy.

Watch it or you will get beat down like the dodger Chad Kreuter (http://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den/2012/09/top-10-cubs-bench-clearing-brawls/#image/1)

Diehard Ute
12-10-2014, 08:56 AM
While I love Lester I'm somewhat glad the Cubs got him. He's 30....and now signed to a deal until he's 36 at $25 million a year with a 7th year coming. That's a lot of cash tied up in a starting pitcher. He certainly will have a better chance of lasting in the national league than he would have in the American. Guessing that played a factor. There's certainly a reward there. But there's a ton of risk

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 09:55 AM
While I love Lester I'm somewhat glad the Cubs got him. He's 30....and now signed to a deal until he's 36 at $25 million a year with a 7th year coming. That's a lot of cash tied up in a starting pitcher. He certainly will have a better chance of lasting in the national league than he would have in the American. Guessing that played a factor. There's certainly a reward there. But there's a ton of risk

http://www.talkweather.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/rimshot.gif

Mormon Red Death
01-16-2015, 06:37 AM
Rizzo (http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/12175720/anthony-rizzo-says-chicago-cubs-win-nl-central) says Cubs will win the NL Central

LA Ute
01-17-2015, 02:57 PM
Why do we even have a Cubs thread?

Mormon Red Death
01-17-2015, 03:08 PM
Why do we even have a Cubs thread?
so we don't have to look at the stupid dodjerks thread

LA Ute
01-17-2015, 03:25 PM
so we don't have to look at the stupid dodjerks thread

(Sorry, I'm on a plane and bored.)

hostile
01-23-2015, 10:31 PM
RIP Mr Cub.

Ernie Banks passes today.

Mormon Red Death
03-25-2015, 08:48 AM
Wait till this year! (http://grantland.com/features/2015-mlb-preview-chicago-cubs-world-series-contenders/)

Mormon Red Death
04-14-2015, 07:04 AM
First Place baby! Yes I know we are only 6 games in but I'll take it. And this weekend we get the krisening (http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/04/fantasy_baseball_2015_when_wil.html). Although one thing that has seriously pissed me off is that WGN is only local. WGN-America wont be showing cubs games. No Friday or Sunday games.

UBlender
04-14-2015, 01:23 PM
First Place baby! Yes I know we are only 6 games in but I'll take it. And this weekend we get the krisening (http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/04/fantasy_baseball_2015_when_wil.html). Although one thing that has seriously pissed me off is that WGN is only local. WGN-America wont be showing cubs games. No Friday or Sunday games.

#SolerPower

Mormon Red Death
04-14-2015, 06:17 PM
Starlin Castro looks like the uptown funk guy

LA Ute
04-20-2015, 10:51 AM
http://buzzpo.com/the-chicago-cubs-just-made-the-smartest-play-in-the-history-of-baseball/?utm_content=buffer0b0e3&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=positivelyrepublican

UBlender
07-22-2015, 08:20 AM
My son is six years old but today I will be informing him that his new first and middle name will be 'Kyle Schwarber'. A terrible name, yes. But I believe it is appropriate given the circumstances.

UBlender
07-22-2015, 08:23 AM
Starlin Castro looks like the uptown funk guy

I would say right now that he looks like the guy that needs to be traded if Javy Baez can be near a return by the deadline...or perhaps even if Baez isn't ready. I know they won't get much value in return given the way he has played this season but it seems like a change of scenery may do him some good as well as clear up the Cubs' middle infield logjam (that LaStella guy is going to be back at some point too).

Mormon Red Death
09-26-2015, 09:24 AM
Playoff bound baby! Reverse the curse! I believe

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Mormon Red Death
09-26-2015, 12:18 PM
There has to be some part of Cubs fans - maybe in the subconscious - that wants the curse to continue. That and the ivy are really the two strongest identifying characteristics of the team. If you win, you become like the Red Sox, who immediately went from lovable to worse than the Yankees.
No real cub fan doesn't want to win the world series. They aren't byu fans who only care of ESPN is talking about them.

Mormon Red Death
10-05-2015, 02:37 PM
Wednesday we have to take down the Pirates!

Mormon Red Death
10-07-2015, 09:01 AM
LET'S GO CUBS!

Scratch
10-07-2015, 10:06 AM
Go bucs!

Mormon Red Death
10-07-2015, 10:26 AM
https://youtu.be/RODYdjdB17o

Mormon Red Death
10-07-2015, 03:45 PM
Sad. In any other year, the Pirates would be overwhelming sentimental favorites. I say the Cubs are more interesting as losers, and I hope they don't win it all.

Playoff rooting power rankings:

1) Pirates
2) Jays
3) Mets
4) Astros
5) Cubs
6) Cards
7) Dodgers
8) Royals
What about the Rangers?

UBlender
10-07-2015, 04:57 PM
Arrieta has been so dominant for so long that I fear that he's do for something along the lines of solid but not dominant, something like 2 ER in 7 IP. I worry that a line like that will mean a loss as our offense concerns me and our bullpen inspires little confidence if we need more than Rondon to close it out.

Redbird
10-08-2015, 06:22 AM
enjoy the next 3 games, Cubs fans. there's always next year. #BestFansinBaseball #TheCardinalWay

UBlender
10-08-2015, 08:53 AM
enjoy the next 3 games, Cubs fans. there's always next year. #BestFansinBaseball #TheCardinalWay

Go back to your own board, Redbird. Your Cardinals are finished! FINISHED!

Scratch
10-08-2015, 09:32 AM
Ugh. How do I decide which insufferable team to cheer for in this series?

mpfunk
10-08-2015, 10:10 AM
Go back to your own board, Redbird. Your Cardinals are finished! FINISHED!

Please Cubs follow the example of the Chicago Blackhawks and do to the Cardinals what the Blackhawks do to the Blues each time they have a playoff series.

Redbird
10-08-2015, 11:59 AM
Please Cubs follow the example of the Chicago Blackhawks and do to the Cardinals what the Blackhawks do to the Blues each time they have a playoff series.

:rolleyes:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Stanley_Cup_Playoffs

Applejack
10-08-2015, 01:06 PM

You guys seem determined to talk hockey in non-hockey threads, but I think the silence to these posts, as our resident expert says, speaks volumes.

UBlender
10-08-2015, 01:25 PM
Ugh. How do I decide which insufferable team to cheer for in this series?

I can see how, as an insufferable person, this would be a difficult choice for you, like a retiree trying to choose between Arizona and Florida.

mpfunk
10-08-2015, 04:00 PM

That was a long time ago.

I like this one better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Stanley_Cup_playoffs

Also, how about this one. 8-3 baby.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackhawks%E2%80%93Blues_rivalry

I thought we met more than once recent, but that is right the Blues never live up to their end of the bargain and keep losing early in the playoffs so we don't meet.

Mormon Red Death
10-10-2015, 04:20 PM
Soler power baby!

Mormon Red Death
03-28-2016, 09:21 AM
Good article on the reigning Rookie of the year (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14947126/is-secret-kris-bryant-success-dad).

Scratch
04-08-2016, 04:36 PM
Sorry Cub fans. I love watching Schwarber hit.

Mormon Red Death
05-04-2016, 05:54 PM
Interesting Article about the Cubs hot start (http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-cubs-start-is-even-more-dominant-than-it-seems/). The last paragraph is very true.

In only three years, the Cubs have risen from one of the worst teams in baseball to achieve an unprecedented degree of dominance. But there’s no pennant for the best Elo rating, no trophy for the highest run differential. And it might take playing at this level all season to overcome the most stunning streak of postseason futility in professional sports and win a championship for the first time in 107 years (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_franchise_postseason _droughts).

concerned
05-04-2016, 06:11 PM
I have never been to Wrigley and am taking the family to see the Cubs play the Mets in July. Can't wait.

LA Ute
05-04-2016, 06:17 PM
I have never been to Wrigley and am taking the family to see the Cubs play the Mets in July. Can't wait.

Been there quite a few times. It's a great place to watch a ball game.

concerned
05-04-2016, 06:49 PM
Been there quite a few times. It's a great place to watch a ball game.

I had unwittingly purchased slightly view obstructed seats at Fenway a couple of years ago; made sure not to make that mistake again.

UBlender
06-29-2016, 09:52 AM
I'm sure this has happened before (probably many times) because it's baseball and everything has happened before, but last night was the first time I can remember seeing a team put two pitchers on the field and then toggle back and forth between two pitchers in the same inning. The Cubs did it in both the 14th and 15th innings last night, putting a pitcher in LF and then swapping him and the pitcher on the mound (and then swapping back again). Miraculously, it worked as the Cubs bullpen held on and they won in 15 innings.

Despite all of that, the Cubs currently have bullpen issues. They need to make some upgrades although I hope they don't overreact and go get Miller or Chapman from the Yankees. (I'd love to have Miller or Chapman, but getting one of them would likely mean parting with Kyle Schwarber and more, which is not something that interests me).

Scratch
06-29-2016, 10:23 AM
There's no way the Cubs would give up Schwarber for Miller or Chapman. He's cheap and the Cubs absolutely understand how much more valuable a position player is than a reliever.

UBlender
06-29-2016, 04:38 PM
There's no way the Cubs would give up Schwarber for Miller or Chapman. He's cheap and the Cubs absolutely understand how much more valuable a position player is than a reliever.

I agree. I just find it funny that I keep seeing blurbs about how the Yankees are going to "move on" from talks with the Cubs if they won't part with Schwarber. But then it is the Yankees, so....

Mormon Red Death
09-25-2016, 07:26 AM
Solon and I took in a game from Wrigley yesterday. even though the good guys lost they still wrapped up home field advantage.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160925/8a3a95bb0e1360b27bc75c84b42e6836.jpg

UBlender
09-25-2016, 12:18 PM
Solon and I took in a game from Wrigley yesterday. even though the good guys lost they still wrapped up home field advantage.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160925/8a3a95bb0e1360b27bc75c84b42e6836.jpg

Wow you picked a heck of a game to attend in person. I just take solace the fact that Hammel is making the decision to leave him off the playoff roster very easy.

UBlender
10-02-2016, 09:02 PM
Well, here we go. Cubs head into the playoffs as a solid favorite to at least win the pennant if not the world series. Each of Arrieta, Lester and Hendricks have been somewhat roughed up in their last start. I'm not feeling overly optimistic, but hoping that they were each getting their bad outing out of their system.

Mets or Giants? I don't love the idea of facing a team that owned us last NLCS and then swept a four-gamer this season (Cubs should have swept the second series against NY this year but choked one game away), but I would rather go to battle against this beat up team than mess with the Giants and their even year voodoo. My preference would have been to get the battered Cardinals (who would still be dangerous) in this series. I'll hope the Mets pull through. Assuming the wild card game is Syndegaard vs Bumgarner, I'd rather face the other Mets pitchers than the Giants (as presently constituted).

I'd also much rather face the Nats than the Dodgers in the NLCS, if we get there. The Kershaw/Hill combo scares me. The Nats have Scherzer and may get Strasburg back but overall they are also pretty beaten up and Bryce Harper has forgotten how to be awesome. Daniel Murphy is terrifying but he's also been hurt.

If we are so fortunate as to make the World Series I think the Red Sox, and to a lesser extent the Blue Jays, are the only teams that scare me (but there's a lot of time for that to evolve).

Between the Cubs in the postseason and the Utes' propensity to make every PAC 12 game extra tense I'm not sure my heart will survive the month.

SoCalPat
10-04-2016, 02:20 PM
Well, here we go. Cubs head into the playoffs as a solid favorite to at least win the pennant if not the world series. Each of Arrieta, Lester and Hendricks have been somewhat roughed up in their last start. I'm not feeling overly optimistic, but hoping that they were each getting their bad outing out of their system.

Mets or Giants? I don't love the idea of facing a team that owned us last NLCS and then swept a four-gamer this season (Cubs should have swept the second series against NY this year but choked one game away), but I would rather go to battle against this beat up team than mess with the Giants and their even year voodoo. My preference would have been to get the battered Cardinals (who would still be dangerous) in this series. I'll hope the Mets pull through. Assuming the wild card game is Syndegaard vs Bumgarner, I'd rather face the other Mets pitchers than the Giants (as presently constituted).

I'd also much rather face the Nats than the Dodgers in the NLCS, if we get there. The Kershaw/Hill combo scares me. The Nats have Scherzer and may get Strasburg back but overall they are also pretty beaten up and Bryce Harper has forgotten how to be awesome. Daniel Murphy is terrifying but he's also been hurt.

If we are so fortunate as to make the World Series I think the Red Sox, and to a lesser extent the Blue Jays, are the only teams that scare me (but there's a lot of time for that to evolve).

Between the Cubs in the postseason and the Utes' propensity to make every PAC 12 game extra tense I'm not sure my heart will survive the month.

The Cubs are overwhelming favorites to win the World Series at 2-1 (Vegasinsider.com has the Cubs listed at 9-4). Boston is at 9-2 and Texas at 5-1 are the next two favorites.

UBlender
10-04-2016, 04:09 PM
The Cubs are overwhelming favorites to win the World Series at 2-1 (Vegasinsider.com has the Cubs listed at 9-4). Boston is at 9-2 and Texas at 5-1 are the next two favorites.

Yeah, they are the favorite. Still, I saw something on 538 today that gives them a 26% chance with Boston at 19% followed by the Dodgers. Texas I don't get at all. That's a team that outperformed their expected record by a lot. I would love to see the Cubs against them in the World Series.

Mormon Red Death
10-07-2016, 08:19 AM
Great article on the cubs (http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17558425/joe-maddon-spring-training-message-cubs-proves-prophetic).

Scratch
10-07-2016, 03:13 PM
Yeah, they are the favorite. Still, I saw something on 538 today that gives them a 26% chance with Boston at 19% followed by the Dodgers. Texas I don't get at all. That's a team that outperformed their expected record by a lot. I would love to see the Cubs against them in the World Series.

2-1 is crazy for any team. Baseball games are so random that any 7-game series between playoff-caliber teams is essentially just a coin-flip. Start at 12.5% for the 8 teams in the playoffs, and then make VERY minimal adjustments from there based on the differences between the teams.

UBlender
10-07-2016, 04:43 PM
2-1 is crazy for any team. Baseball games are so random that any 7-game series between playoff-caliber teams is essentially just a coin-flip. Start at 12.5% for the 8 teams in the playoffs, and then make VERY minimal adjustments from there based on the differences between the teams.

Betting on playoff baseball seems like a fool's errand. As the Cubs near the start of Game 1 I'm feeling more and more like we're underdogs due to the stupid #EvenYear stuff and the fact that Bumgarner will probably pitch all 45+ innings of the series.

Mormon Red Death
10-12-2016, 05:06 AM
let's go cubs!

SoCalPat
10-12-2016, 07:53 AM
Unbelievable comeback. If this were a closeout game in the LCS, I'd say we're all square for whatever happened in 2003.

If the Cubs make it to the World Series, Steve Bartman should be invited back to throw out the first pitch for Game 3. It's time everyone in Chicago forget about silly curses and past collapses. This year's team doesn't give a flying flip about that -- neither should the organization or the fans. I laugh at those who suggest the team takes it's cue from the fans ("Take it one game at a time!"), but I think the Cubs and Chicago are the rare exception to all of this. That's a cycle that needs to be broken.

LA Ute
10-12-2016, 09:25 AM
I have always liked the Cubs as sorry but lovable losers with a devoted fan following and a great stadium. I also hope the Dodgers make the ALCS NLCS and beat the Cubs.
Flame away.

(This post is for the scoundrel who moved my last post to another thread. Typical Cubs fan)

UBlender
10-12-2016, 09:48 AM
I have always liked the Cubs as sorry but lovable losers with a devoted fan following and a great stadium. I also hope the Dodgers make the ALCS and beat the Cubs. Flame away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm very confident that the Dodgers will not make the ALCS. I also don't think they'll make the NLCS but they have a much better chance at that one.

Applejack
10-12-2016, 09:56 AM
That game sucked. The nationals are going to kill you guys.

LA Ute
10-12-2016, 10:01 AM
I'm very confident that the Dodgers will not make the ALCS. I also don't think they'll make the NLCS but they have a much better chance at that one.

That's the problem with this board. You guys are too detail-oriented and refuse to see the big picture. :Ashamed:

LA Ute
10-12-2016, 11:05 AM
The Giants showed they had no bullpen last night. I haven't been following the Giants so I was surprised.

Applejack
10-12-2016, 11:11 AM
The Giants showed they had no bullpen last night. I haven't been following the Giants so I was surprised.

Yeah, the bullpen sucks. I knew when they went to the bullpen in the 9th it was trouble.

LA Ute
10-12-2016, 11:47 AM
Yeah, the bullpen sucks. I knew when they went to the bullpen in the 9th it was trouble.

I must add that the Dodgers bullpen is not that great either. I think they used nine pitchers in losing to the Nationals on Monday.

LA Ute
10-15-2016, 09:54 PM
Congrats, Cubbie fans. It's amazing what can happen with one swing of the bat! We'll see how Game 2 goes, but your guys got the job done tonight big-time.

Mormon Red Death
10-15-2016, 09:55 PM
that was pretty amazing

UBlender
10-15-2016, 10:25 PM
Our bullpen makes me nervous. I don't blame Chapman--he almost got out of a no out, bases loaded situation. But our 7th/8th inning options have not performed well lately.

Mormon Red Death
10-22-2016, 08:50 PM
they did it... they really did it. 4 more wins!

Mormon Red Death
10-22-2016, 08:59 PM
https://youtu.be/Ko58baUVstE

LA Ute
10-22-2016, 09:09 PM
They are the team of destiny this year. (And it's about time.) Congrats to the Cubbies' fans and enjoy the World Series!

concerned
10-22-2016, 09:33 PM
Chicago and Cleveland are both such sympathetic teams. Too bad one will lose.

UBlender
10-23-2016, 09:38 AM
They are the team of destiny this year. (And it's about time.) Congrats to the Cubbies' fans and enjoy the World Series!

Thanks. Even up 3-2 I was still pretty nervous about having to beat either Kershaw or Hill one time. I'm still a little shocked about how easily game 6 came for the Cubs. I wonder if Kershaw finally kind of ran out of gas or if the Cubs were just especially dialed in. After the first inning it just felt like it was going to be the Cubs' night.

(And after the Utah-UCLA I am very grateful that the baseball game wasn't stressful, I'm not sure my nerves could have handled that).

Mormon Red Death
11-02-2016, 11:07 PM

I wrote this July 7th 2014!

mUUser
11-02-2016, 11:14 PM
Steve Bartman, come out of hiding my friend. U should throw the first pitch of the 2017 season and enjoy your 10 minute standing O.

Rocker Ute
11-02-2016, 11:18 PM
Steve Bartman, come out of hiding my friend. U should throw the first pitch of the 2017 season and enjoy your 10 minute standing O.

I am seriously curious what he must be thinking right now.

Mormon Red Death
11-02-2016, 11:29 PM
You hold onto that, MRD. Your baseball fan existence is now going to be explaining to others that you liked the Cubs before 2016, kinda like that lying Red Sox fan who shows up here once or twice a year.
I don't have to explain to anyone. anyone who knows me knows I've been a cub fan forever.

Diehard Ute
11-03-2016, 12:51 AM
You hold onto that, MRD. Your baseball fan existence is now going to be explaining to others that you liked the Cubs before 2016, kinda like that lying Red Sox fan who shows up here once or twice a year.

If anyone stumbled across this board and formed their opinion of you based on your posts I'm guessing they'd think you were one of the most angry and bitter persons to ever live

And the 2016 Cubs are the Red Sox West aren't they? Haha (Coming from a life long Red Sox fan)

LA Ute
11-03-2016, 05:25 AM
Congrats to the Cubbies and their fans everywhere. It was just time. And what a 7th game! As I watched it I was glad I wasn't a fan of either team and could just enjoy the game without chewing one of my arms off.

Rocker Ute
11-03-2016, 08:43 AM
I'm not a baseball fan at all (it's usually as boring as mom and apple pie) but I'll typically watch the WS. This series was terrific and what a game last night.

One of my best friends is from Chicago and a lifelong cubs fan. He was an absolute bear Sunday afternoon when I chatted with him. I got more into it on his behalf and decided to cheer for the Cubs. If the Cubs would have lost last night Joe Maddon would be destroyed for what he did with Chapman in game 6.

Fun times, great to witness history.

concerned
11-03-2016, 08:44 AM
I'm not a baseball fan at all (it's usually as boring as mom and apple pie) but I'll typically watch the WS. This series was terrific and what a game last night.

One of my best friends is from Chicago and a lifelong cubs fan. He was an absolute bear Sunday afternoon when I chatted with him. I got more into it on his behalf and decided to cheer for the Cubs. If the Cubs would have lost last night Joe Maddon would be destroyed for what he did with Chapman in game 6.

Fun times, great to witness history.

Not only for what he did to Chapman, but what he did to Hendricks and Lester. IMHO, if Hendricks had finished that inning, no wild pitch, no two runs, and Hendricks would have been the winning pitcher.

Same with Arietta the night before.

As Thomas Boswell wrote, what Maddon did will be forgiven but not forgotten.

UBlender
11-03-2016, 08:53 AM
Not only for what he did to Chapman, but what he did to Hendricks and lester. IMHO, if Hendricks had finished that inning,he would have been the winning pitcher.

Had the Cubs lost there would have been lots of second guessing of both Maddon and the players. The handling of the pitchers in both of the last two games as well as the fact that the Cubs were shaky in the in field all night long. Uncharacteristic errors and mis-plays by Baez and Russell, the whole scenario in the 5th with the swinging bunt, errant throw to first, wild pitch that all gifted Cleveland two runs without the ball leaving the infield. Even in the 10th the Cubs had scored two but still had bases loaded and only one out and couldn't get any more. Had they lost the talk of choking and curses and managerial errors would have been very loud.

But it was a great team win. Every Cub that played contributed something significant, all the way down to Almora and Montero coming through in the 10th. Even Chapman who was almost the goat did bounce back to pitch a clean 9th, which was huge.

Last night I took a minute to read several posts off the first page of this thread, started in February 2013. We've come a long, long way since then.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-03-2016, 09:11 AM
Chris Berman summed up last night's win best.

https://twitter.com/OldRowKoozie/status/794066322166403073

DrumNFeather
11-03-2016, 09:39 AM
Had the Cubs lost there would have been lots of second guessing of both Maddon and the players. The handling of the pitchers in both of the last two games as well as the fact that the Cubs were shaky in the in field all night long. Uncharacteristic errors and mis-plays by Baez and Russell, the whole scenario in the 5th with the swinging bunt, errant throw to first, wild pitch that all gifted Cleveland two runs without the ball leaving the infield. Even in the 10th the Cubs had scored two but still had bases loaded and only one out and couldn't get any more. Had they lost the talk of choking and curses and managerial errors would have been very loud.

But it was a great team win. Every Cub that played contributed something significant, all the way down to Almora and Montero coming through in the 10th. Even Chapman who was almost the goat did bounce back to pitch a clean 9th, which was huge.

Last night I took a minute to read several posts off the first page of this thread, started in February 2013. We've come a long, long way since then.

The thin line between goat and genius.

Solon
11-03-2016, 09:45 AM
The thin line between goat and genius.

It was a good series, and a GREAT Game 7 - probably the best World Series game in 15 years (I consider the 2001 WS Game 7 the best game of my lifetime- hardly a comprehensive approach to baseball history, but whatever).

The thing that started to get to me during the rain delay was how baseball blew a chance to showcase itself to the nation. Its championship game went down to the wire - past the wire, actually - and casual fans & kids were fast asleep by the time Zobrist hit home the winning run in the 10th.

A championship game with its climax coming after midnight on a rainy November Wednesday night in Cleveland? Are you kidding me?
Get better, MLB.

Two Utes
11-03-2016, 09:49 AM

For every sports fan this has a special place. In the really old days of cable one of the few channels was WGN. Back then, Cubs only played during the day. If you were sick, sluffing school, or just laying around, the Cubs were always on. . It was always fascinating to see guys sitting on chairs on top of their buildings watching the afternoon game. Although the Cubs weren't my favorite team, Ryne Sandberg was one of my favorite players. And Harry Caray was so goofy that he was entertaining.

My first chance to go to Wrigley was in 2010. it was an afternoon game. Driving up to the Stadium for me was like driving through Sugar House and there, in the middle, was Wrigley. It's just a neighborhood. At that time, the only beer they were serving was Old Style--just like the John Hughes movies of the 80s. It was magical. It's the greatest baseball Stadium in the world, bar none. I tell people if you love baseball, visiting Wrigley is like dying and going to heaven. And, if you don't care for baseball, you'll love visiting Wrigley. The day I visited, my son was participating in an AAU basketball tournament the next day. They lost early that day. The first thing he said to me after the last game was "dad can we go back to Wrigley tomorrow?" We did.

I'm happy for Cubs fans.

concerned
11-03-2016, 10:02 AM
For every sports fan this has a special place. In the really old days of cable one of the few channels was WGN. Back then, Cubs only played during the day. If you were sick, sluffing school, or just laying around, the Cubs were always on. . It was always fascinating to see guys sitting on chairs on top of their buildings watching the afternoon game. Although the Cubs weren't my favorite team, Ryne Sandberg was one of my favorite players. And Harry Caray was so goofy that he was entertaining.

My first chance to go to Wrigley was in 2010. it was an afternoon game. Driving up to the Stadium for me was like driving through Sugar House and there, in the middle, was Wrigley. It's just a neighborhood. At that time, the only beer they were serving was Old Style--just like the John Hughes movies of the 80s. It was magical. It's the greatest baseball Stadium in the world, bar none. I tell people if you love baseball, visiting Wrigley is like dying and going to heaven. And, if you don't care for baseball, you'll love visiting Wrigley. The day I visited, my son was participating in an AAU basketball tournament the next day. They lost early that day. The first thing he said to me after the last game was "dad can we go back to Wrigley tomorrow?" We did.

I'm happy for Cubs fans.

Same with me. Our whole family saw the Cubs play the Mets in July; Lester pitched and Rizzo hit the game winning homer. None of us had been to Wrigley before. the game started at 6 pm, which was perfect. The sun was shining for about the first 5 innings and then the lights came on. We sung go Cubs Go with gusto and all bought hats or shirts. I tell my kids they will remember for the rest of their lives that they attended their first Cubs game the year they broke the curse. I hope it is special for them forever.

Rocker Ute
11-03-2016, 10:11 AM
Maybe this isn't the time for my suggestions on how to make baseball better and more accessible by the average fan. ;)

Solon
11-03-2016, 11:36 AM
Same with me. Our whole family saw the Cubs play the Mets in July; Lester pitched and Rizzo hit the game winning homer. None of us had been to Wrigley before. the game started at 6 pm, which was perfect. The sun was shining for about the first 5 innings and then the lights came on. We sung go Cubs Go with gusto and all bought hats or shirts. I tell my kids they will remember for the rest of their lives that they attended their first Cubs game the year they broke the curse. I hope it is special for them forever.

What the hell? Wrigley Stadium has lights?

(I kid - but only a little bit)

concerned
11-03-2016, 12:00 PM

On the ticket, it says you are required to turn on the light on your phone and shine it in the direction of the field.

Mormon Red Death
11-03-2016, 01:29 PM
i'm feeling a little moved so I want to say something. *Over my 40+ years so many people have told me "the cubs will never win it all" or some variation of that declaration. *I've watched some really bad teams (3 years ago they lost 100 games). *I've been through so many devastating seasons and games I can't count them all. *When I was 8 years old I remember Detroit Tigers manager Sparky Anderson talking with President Reagan and Sparky saying "I know these aren't your cubs but you have to respect how they played". *Since Reagan was pretty much a hero in my home I decided the cubs would be my team too. *

My family got cable in 87 and that is when I really started watching the cubs. *My favorite cub team... uh I mean second favorite cub team ever happened in 1989. *I remember the whole team. *the 2 rookies Dwight Smith in left and Jerome Walton in center (Jerome Walton was Rookie of the year and Dwight Smith was 2nd). *They had the hawk (Andre Dawson) with his sweet jerry curl perm. *Vance Law at 3rd, Shawon Dunston (the hardest throwing infielder ever) at SS. *Mark Grace was 1b and Damon Berryhill and Joe Girardi were behind the plate. *The cubs had Greg Maddux and Rick Sutcliffe as their two great*starting pitchers and Mitch Wild thing Williams was their closer. *

The one position I didn't mention because he was greatest second baseman ever and my favorite player ever; Ryne Sandberg. That was my team. *When they lost to the Giants in NL pennant that year I was heart*brokern. **When I first started hanging out with Chad he always brought*up how he had the series on tape if we*wanted to watch (he's a giant fan) and it took everything in me not to punch him square in the jaw. *

I went to my first cubs game when I was 14. *My mom worked for Eastern Airlines So we flew for free and went saw a game. *I remember it clear as day. It was against the phillies. *Before the game Harry Caray was signing autographs and I was literally the next person in line when he abrutly said "no more" and went to the press box. *I then got in line to get some others before we all got shewed away. *Cubs won the game with Ryne Sandberg and Andre Dawson hitting back to back home runs. *

Time went on and the cubs team from year to year were either mediocre or just down right terrible. *We had some good spots. *1998 had Sammy Sosa hitting home runs and Kerry Wood pitching masterfully. *I was in Europe the month Sammy Sosa hit 20 home runs that June. **
2003 Came next. *I don't think I have ever been more pissed off then game 6. *To be clear I dont fault Bartman one bit. *There were 6 other people going for that foul ball. *The one who squarely deserves the blame is Dusty Baker. After Alex Gonzalez boots an easy double play AND the bartman situation happens Dusty Baker does absolutely nothing. *He just sits their chewing on his stupid toothpick. *Hey Dusty your 25 year old star pitcher just got robbed of getting out of an inning due to a missed double play and a possible out in left field. *How about you go out there and settle him down. *nope... he just sat there and chewed on his *stupid toothpick. *
Now we come to this year. *They finally did it. They really*did it. *For a moment last night the 10 year old*in me rejoiced like no other. *I truly can die in peace. *I got to see it. *This is why sports are great. *The roller coaster of emotions I felt last night were well worth the ride. *CUBS WIN! CUBS WIN! *HOLY COW! *This morning at Harry Caray's grave their were bushels of green apples left surrounding his grave. *Here is why:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPaACIEnQMg

UBlender
11-03-2016, 02:57 PM
i'm feeling a little moved so I want to say something. *Over my 40+ years so many people have told me "the cubs will never win it all" or some variation of that declaration. *I've watched some really bad teams (3 years ago they lost 100 games). *I've been through so many devastating seasons and games I can't count them all. *When I was 8 years old I remember Detroit Tigers manager Sparky Anderson talking with President Reagan and Sparky saying "I know these aren't your cubs but you have to respect how they played". *Since Reagan was pretty much a hero in my home I decided the cubs would be my team too. *

My family got cable in 87 and that is when I really started watching the cubs. *My favorite cub team... uh I mean second favorite cub team ever happened in 1989. *I remember the whole team. *the 2 rookies Dwight Smith in left and Jerome Walton in center (Jerome Walton was Rookie of the year and Dwight Smith was 2nd). *They had the hawk (Andre Dawson) with his sweet jerry curl perm. *Vance Law at 3rd, Shawon Dunston (the hardest throwing infielder ever) at SS. *Mark Grace was 1b and Damon Berryhill and Joe Girardi were behind the plate. *The cubs had Greg Maddux and Rick Sutcliffe as their two great*starting pitchers and Mitch Wild thing Williams was their closer. *

The one position I didn't mention because he was greatest second baseman ever and my favorite player ever; Ryne Sandberg. That was my team. *When they lost to the Giants in NL pennant that year I was heart*brokern. **When I first started hanging out with Chad he always brought*up how he had the series on tape if we*wanted to watch (he's a giant fan) and it took everything in me not to punch him square in the jaw. *

I went to my first cubs game when I was 14. *My mom worked for Eastern Airlines So we flew for free and went saw a game. *I remember it clear as day. It was against the phillies. *Before the game Harry Caray was signing autographs and I was literally the next person in line when he abrutly said "no more" and went to the press box. *I then got in line to get some others before we all got shewed away. *Cubs won the game with Ryne Sandberg and Andre Dawson hitting back to back home runs. *

Time went on and the cubs team from year to year were either mediocre or just down right terrible. *We had some good spots. *1998 had Sammy Sosa hitting home runs and Kerry Wood pitching masterfully. *I was in Europe the month Sammy Sosa hit 20 home runs that June. **
2003 Came next. *I don't think I have ever been more pissed off then game 6. *To be clear I dont fault Bartman one bit. *There were 6 other people going for that foul ball. *The one who squarely deserves the blame is Dusty Baker. After Alex Gonzalez boots an easy double play AND the bartman situation happens Dusty Baker does absolutely nothing. *He just sits their chewing on his stupid toothpick. *Hey Dusty your 25 year old star pitcher just got robbed of getting out of an inning due to a missed double play and a possible out in left field. *How about you go out there and settle him down. *nope... he just sat there and chewed on his *stupid toothpick. *
Now we come to this year. *They finally did it. They really*did it. *For a moment last night the 10 year old*in me rejoiced like no other. *I truly can die in peace. *I got to see it. *This is why sports are great. *The roller coaster of emotions I felt last night were well worth the ride. *CUBS WIN! CUBS WIN! *HOLY COW! *This morning at Harry Caray's grave their were bushels of green apples left surrounding his grave. *Here is why:

Awesome, MRD. My experience growing up with the Cubs is pretty similar to yours. Got cable in the late '80s. Loved that I could watch random Cubs games on so many lazy summer afternoons when I was 10-12 years old. In Little League I always played second base and my name is close enough to Ryne so naturally I idolized Sandberg. I got hooked on Sandberg, Grace, Dawson, Dunston and thought Jerome Walton was the coolest ballplayer ever. I imagine there's a bunch of us Cubs fans all over the nation in our age bracket specifically because of that era of WGN being carrying all of the Cubs games nationwide on basic cable. Those were the days.

We've been through a lot since then but mostly incompetence among front office and managers. It's amazing how quickly things can come together when you get the right people in those positions. Long live Theo and Jed!

concerned
11-03-2016, 03:14 PM

Speaking of lights at Wrigley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tm3GFcPZQo

jrj84105
11-03-2016, 04:41 PM
My wife is a bigger Cubs fan than me. Our first three dates were games at Wrigley- her choice. This last week I learned that she is also a scarier, more demented sports fan than me, and that if the Cubs go to the WS next year I'm just buying her a flight and tickets and praying for the person who sits next to her.

i'm also now terrified of going to te Utah-Butler game with her (her alma mater).

jrj84105
11-03-2016, 04:56 PM

For reasons I can't remember I hated Damon Berryhill. That was the period of time where I became acquainted with the heartbreak of losing as a sports fan; really even more with the Flyin Illini losing to Michigan in the Final Four than with the Cubs NLCS loss.

mpfunk
11-03-2016, 07:55 PM

This post reminds me of how I felt when the Blackhawks finally won Lord Stanley's Cup. 3 cups later, and I can say each one is awesome and the 2015 cup victory actually topped 2010.

Congrats Cubs, I give the credit to the Blackhawks for wearing Cubs jerseys.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

LA Ute
11-03-2016, 08:06 PM
i'm feeling a little moved so I want to say something. *Over my 40+ years so many people have told me "the cubs will never win it all" or some variation of that declaration. *I've watched some really bad teams (3 years ago they lost 100 games). *I've been through so many devastating seasons and games I can't count them all. *When I was 8 years old I remember Detroit Tigers manager Sparky Anderson talking with President Reagan and Sparky saying "I know these aren't your cubs but you have to respect how they played". *Since Reagan was pretty much a hero in my home I decided the cubs would be my team too....

I think I really get you on this, MRD. Unlike a lot of bandwagoners, I have been a Red Sox fan since I was 12, and long before it was cool to be a Red Sox fan. (That happened in about 2003.) When they finally won in 2004 -- and in such an amazing fashion, coming back against the hated Yankees in the ALCS (after being down 3-1) and then sweeping the Cardinals, I was sooooo happy. I wore a Red Sox jacket to work all day the next day and all over town. The Cubs championship drought was even longer than the Sox's, so I was happy to see it finally en last night, and in such an exciting way. Congrats, Cubs!

concerned
11-04-2016, 12:16 PM
I think I really get you on this, MRD. Unlike a lot of bandwagoners, I have been a Red Sox fan since I was 12, and long before it was cool to be a Red Sox fan. (That happened in about 2003.) When they finally won in 2004 -- and in such an amazing fashion, coming back against the hated Yankees in the ALCS (after being down 3-1) and then sweeping the Cardinals, I was sooooo happy. I wore a Red Sox jacket to work all day the next day and all over town. The Cubs championship drought was even longer than the Sox's, so I was happy to see it finally en last night, and in such an exciting way. Congrats, Cubs!

I hope you are not referring to me as a bandwagon fan. I have been a die hard Cubs fan since July, and will be until opening day (except that, like Scratch, part of me wanted to root for the small market low payroll team; too bad one of them had to lose.)

LA Ute
11-04-2016, 01:51 PM
I hope you are not referring to me as a bandwagon fan. I have been a die hard Cubs fan since July, and will be until opening day (except that, like Scratch, part of me wanted to root for the small market low payroll team; too bad one of them had to lose.)

No -- I was talking about Red Sox fans who suddenly emerged in 2004 or so. IIRC you've been part of Red Sox Nation for a long time.

concerned
11-04-2016, 01:55 PM
No -- I was talking about Red Sox fans who suddenly emerged in 2004 or so. IIRC you've been part of Red Sox Nation for a long time.

Me a Red Sox fan? Only when they play the Yankees. My whole life I have been a National League fan; always root for the NL in the series (except in 83 when I lived in DC and followed the Orioles).

LA Ute
11-04-2016, 02:46 PM
Me a Red Sox fan? Only when they play the Yankees. My whole life I have been a National League fan; always root for the NL in the series (except in 83 when I lived in DC and followed the Orioles).

Someone around here is a long-time Red Sox fan; I thought it was you. I'll admit it's less fun being one now that the Sox have become cool.

concerned
11-04-2016, 02:59 PM
Someone around here is a long-time Red Sox fan; I thought it was you. I'll admit it's less fun being one now that the Sox have become cool.

Same thing will happen to the Cubs. If they really become a dynasty over the next 5 years, we will all get sick of them (except MRD and SoCalPat).

Diehard Ute
11-04-2016, 03:26 PM

I'm a life long Red Sox fan, as is my dad.

LA Ute
11-04-2016, 04:38 PM
I'm a life long Red Sox fan, as is my dad.

:clap:

LA Ute
04-14-2017, 09:34 AM
For my Cubs fan buddies here:

The Cubs Way: The Zen of Building the Best Team in Baseball and Breaking the Curse
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5LDUNR/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B01M5LDUNR&linkCode=as2&tag=drhelenblog-20&linkId=68785c04e702882344922f625b8fceee

mUUser
07-31-2017, 03:10 PM
http://wgntv.com/2017/07/31/steve-bartman-to-receive-2016-chicago-cubs-world-series-championship-ring/

Steve Bartman finally gets his......