PDA

View Full Version : UtahBy5 2013 Fitness Challenge

chrisrenrut
09-29-2013, 10:00 PM
Here we go. Logistics are below, and the tracking begins Tuesday October 1st. Feel free to join at any time, and invite others to join. Post any questions or suggestions.

The tracking spreadsheet is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnZVua770UeddGV5WG1mMlVqT1UwM09HcVQxSEF2T lE&usp=sharing Simply add your username in Column A, and start tracking by entering your mileage or mileage calculation in the column that corresponds to the date of the activity.

Use MyFitnessPal.com or app to convert activities into calories: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/exercise/lookup.

If you walk, hike, or run, enter your mileage. If you lift weights, play basketball, swim, etc., use MyFitnessPal to convert your activity to calories burned, and then convert calories burned into miles (miles=calories burned/130), then enter your equivalent mileage.

Please only track activities done specifically for exercise. Please don't track mileage or calories in normal daily activities (e.g. wearing a pedometer to work, gardening or mowing the lawn, etc.). If your purpose is to exercise, or you alter an activity specifically to turn it into exercise (such as walking while golfing instead of riding in a cart), then track it.

I have included rank on the spreadsheet, as it may be a helpful motivation. But competition is not the primary goal, improving your own fitness is the goal. We'll trust everyone to enter their best estimates. Feel free to discuss your starting points, goals, achievements, experiences, etc. in this thread.

chrisrenrut
09-29-2013, 10:12 PM
I'll start. I'm currently at 195 pounds, and would like to get down to 185. I'd like to be in better shape for an upcoming trip to Hawaii, and also to build a base for a triathlon (olympic distance) my brother and I are shooting for next year. I'll be focusing on running to begin. I want to get up to running a 10k in about 50 minutes, and then add miles and speed. I am very prone to shin splints and joint problems, so I am building up slowly. I also plan to start swimming laps, and continue to do some strength training to maintain strength, but not add bulk. My weekly goal for now is about 20 miles, which will include some walking and basketball.

Also the folks at SLC Running Co helped with a bio-mechanical analysis of my stride and recommendation of shoes and inserts. I have run a couple of times in them, and feel great so far.

Sisyphus
09-30-2013, 08:39 AM
I'm a biscuit away from 245 and a long way off of my fightin' weight of 185 when @ the U. 185 simply isn't an attainable goal for me any longer since I don't want to lose the 15 lbs or so of muscle mass I've gained from lifting but I would like to hit 205-210.

wuapinmon
09-30-2013, 01:26 PM
I'm almost 2 years into swimming. I've lost 10% of my body weight since I started. At first, I could only water jog 8 laps in 25 yd pool. Now I can swim 1/3 of a mile in 30-35 mins freestyle and breaststroke. According to my fitness pal, I burned 738 calories this morning, which I believe is 5.67 miles. Is that correct?

LA Ute
09-30-2013, 01:37 PM
I'm in. right now I am 6'3" 235 lbs. I should weigh 215 (and I did, 2 years ago). As we enter the holidays it is not the best time to try to lose weight, but I think I can at least hold the line and drop a bit. I am very active, just need to, ahem, eat more wisely.

Rocker Ute
09-30-2013, 02:56 PM
I'm in, sounds like LA Ute and I could exchange clothes and goals, although I'm shooting for 195 ultimately.

LA Ute
09-30-2013, 03:04 PM
I'm in, sounds like LA Ute and I could exchange clothes and goals, although I'm shooting for 195 ultimately.

Once upon a time that was a good weight for me too, but as one, ah, ages, one, ah, adjusts one's sense of what is, ah, realistic.

Sisyphus
09-30-2013, 04:39 PM
Once upon a time that was a good weight for me too, but as one, ah, ages, one, ah, adjusts one's sense of what is, ah, realistic.

And that's the Truth, Ruth!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIk9paXhz4k

mUUser
10-01-2013, 04:00 AM
......as one, ah, ages, one, ah, adjusts one's sense of what is, ah, realistic.

Ain't that the truth. 10 pounds and I'll be good at college weight. Now I'm glad I couldn't sleep and ran into this thread. Gym first thing this morn, 2-3x a week and as you said, the key is stop ramming crap down the throat. A low carb lifestyle generally works well for me.

chrisrenrut
10-01-2013, 06:03 AM
First miles on the books. I have to admit, knowing I would be logging the miles helped me get out of bed and going today.

LA Ute
10-01-2013, 09:53 AM
OK, I did my usual routine this morning. Still figuring this out. I walk aerobically at 4.5 miles/hour 5-6 times each week, and twice a week I do a Pilates workout, which is mainly about strength and flexibility and maintaining a decent core. But it does burn calories on those two days. So although today I spiked at 5.9 miles most days it will be 3.9. Are we going to enter our weight loss progress anywhere? I put mine in as a comment. I figure that way I'll keep some peer pressure on myself.

Like mUUser I use a type of low-carb diet, once known as the Zone diet (http://www.formulazone.com/40-30-30.html?gclid=CLPvnLyD9rkCFYxcMgodGBgA8Q). It's a 40-30-30 approach. 40% of calories from "good" carbs, 30% each from monounsaturated fats and lean protein. Despite the seemingly high percentage of fat, it is actually a low-fat diet. Anyway, it really works for me.

Freaky Girl
10-01-2013, 10:38 AM
I'd like to be in better shape for an upcoming trip to Hawaii....

As someone who just deleted most pictures of myself after I landed this morning from LIH-LAX-SLC, it's a good idea to get in shape before you go to Hawaii, instead of using pictures as the motivation to join in! :) It's been about 3 years since I lost 20 lbs going with Rick to Pritikin, a posh 'fat camp' in Florida. About 12-14 lbs have snuck back on.

I have a doc appt today to check out my twisted foot and knee from an amazing hike overlooking Kalalau Valley on Sunday. 850(let's see if this photo straightens out when I post it, or stays sideways) If I get a clean bill of health, I'll join in today.

LA Ute
10-01-2013, 11:06 AM
As someone who just deleted most pictures of myself after I landed this morning from LIH-LAX-SLC, it's a good idea to get in shape before you go to Hawaii, instead of using pictures as the motivation to join in! :) It's been about 3 years since I lost 20 lbs going with Rick to Pritikin, a posh 'fat camp' in Florida. About 12-14 lbs have snuck back on.

I have a doc appt today to check out my twisted foot and knee from an amazing hike overlooking Kalalau Valley on Sunday. (let's see if this photo straightens out when I post it, or stays sideways) If I get a clean bill of health, I'll join in today.

Awesome photo. I've only been to Hawaii once but this makes me want to go back.

wuapinmon
10-02-2013, 10:08 AM
This contest motivated me to swim an extra 3 laps (150 yds) today. I swam a total of 15 1/2 laps (775 yds) during 38 mins; all but one was freestyle (I did one of them breaststroke so I could catch my breath). I'm taking tomorrow off to give my shoulder a rest.

Applejack
10-02-2013, 10:19 AM
OK, I'm in! I don't really have a goal other than to get in better shape, but I like tracking progress.

Also, I'm very impressed with those of you who can swim long distances. I'm a terrible swimmer.

LA Ute
10-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Wuap is smoking us all.

wuapinmon
10-02-2013, 12:58 PM
OK, I'm in! I don't really have a goal other than to get in better shape, but I like tracking progress.

Also, I'm very impressed with those of you who can swim long distances. I'm a terrible swimmer.

I'm 21 months into swimming 3-5 times a week. When I started, I could only water jog without tiring immediately.

LA Ute
10-02-2013, 01:06 PM
I'm 21 months into swimming 3-5 times a week. When I started, I could only water jog without tiring immediately.

I tried swimming a few years ago after an injury. It takes some time for the muscles and cardiovascular system to adjust to that type of exercise - not to mention simply figuring out the motion. I am impressed that you have stuck with it.

wuapinmon
10-02-2013, 01:10 PM
I tried swimming a few years ago after an injury. It takes some time for the muscles and cardiovascular system to adjust to that type of exercise - not to mention simply figuring out the motion. I am impressed that you have stuck with it.

Apparently, a lot of the people at the gym who are distance runners dislike it because they like having as much air as they want. At least that's what a couple of them have told me. Then there's this one guy who comes in and swims a mile after running 18-20 miles "to cool down."

Freaky Girl
10-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Then there's this one guy who comes in and swims a mile after running 18-20 miles "to cool down."

PLEASE tell me he showers first....

wuapinmon
10-03-2013, 07:27 AM
I can't tell you what I don't know. But, he seems like the type who would first.

chrisrenrut
10-09-2013, 08:01 PM
Over 100 miles as a group. Eldo in the lead (he's my brother).

I have to admit, the cold weather is putting a damper on my motivation. In the summer, it's easy to get up early to go out, because it's the coolest part of the day. But knowing it's the coldest part of the day these days has the opposite effect.

OrangeUte
10-14-2013, 04:34 PM
Just added my mileage to the spreadsheet. hopefully I didn't screw anything up.

chrisrenrut
10-14-2013, 07:15 PM
Just added my mileage to the spreadsheet. hopefully I didn't screw anything up.

Looks good. Bumped us over 200.

looks like Sisyphus has been too busy pushing his rock to enter miles ;) I hope he's ok.

eldiente
10-15-2013, 02:52 PM
Not a U fan but enjoy these challenges especially when a tracking spreadsheet is used. If offensive to any, I will gladly remove my data.

LA Ute
10-15-2013, 02:58 PM
Not a U fan but enjoy these challenges especially when a tracking spreadsheet is used. If offensive to any, I will gladly remove my data.

Not offensive at all. Take part and enjoy!

chrisrenrut
10-15-2013, 08:09 PM

Welcome! 1st place right out of the gate. What is your main type of exercise? You have a couple of impressive big mileage days mixed in there.

eldiente
10-15-2013, 08:25 PM
Welcome! 1st place right out of the gate. What is your main type of exercise? You have a couple of impressive big mileage days mixed in there.

Running only. Getting ready for a mid-December marathon so high mileage for the next few weeks.

chrisrenrut
10-21-2013, 10:44 AM
I caught a cold last week, so I was out for a few days. Getting back into it slowly as I start to get my energy back, and to take it easy on the lungs.

Weather on the Wasatch front should be nice this week. Get your outside exercise in before it turns.

OrangeUte
10-22-2013, 08:45 AM
Just updated my runs.

LA Ute
10-22-2013, 08:50 AM
I am working out regularly, and at a pretty high level. I'm not losing any weight, however. This tells me that my diet is matching my caloric expenditure. (Yes, I am a rocket scientist.) I am going to see if between now and Thanksgiving I can lose between five and 10 pounds. That will require some focus and discipline. You are all authorized to get on my case about how I am doing.

OrangeUte
10-22-2013, 09:19 AM
I am working out regularly, and at a pretty high level. I'm not losing any weight, however. This tells me that my diet is matching my caloric expenditure. (Yes, I am a rocket scientist.) I am going to see if between now and Thanksgiving I can lose between five and 10 pounds. That will require some focus and discipline. You are all authorized to get on my case about how I am doing.

Get with it tubby!

LA Ute
10-22-2013, 09:54 AM
Get with it tubby!

Well, you do have to remember my tender and sensitive feelings as you get on my case.

OrangeUte
10-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Well, you do have to remember my tender and sensitive feelings as you get on my case.

That's no fun tulip!

I've started running with the guy who recently lost over 200 pounds. He has forgotten that he was once 400+. He talks to me (I'm not in great shape) like he's Jack Lalane and I'm a couch potato.

chrisrenrut
10-22-2013, 07:08 PM
You would think Sisyphus would log more miles, pushing the rock up the mountain every day :) (Credit please, for not making a cheap joke with his board name).

Applejack
10-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Converting activities to miles is kind of strange. Two hours of basketball is the way to go!

wuapinmon
10-23-2013, 01:13 PM
You would think Sisyphus would log more miles, pushing the rock up the mountain every day :) (Credit please, for not making a cheap joke with his board name).

That's an excellent joke. I'm almost jealous I didn't think of it first.

chrisrenrut
10-23-2013, 02:32 PM
Converting activities to miles is kind of strange. Two hours of basketball is the way to go!

The great thing about basketball is that your mind is occupied and you are having fun while exercising. I can play ball for 2-3 hours no problem, but if I tried to exert at that level for 2-3 hours on the road or a treadmill, my mind would be focused on the pain and suffering. Even movies or music can't distract me enough while on a treadmill.

Finding an activity or exercise that you can find enjoyable, even if it takes a while, is the key to success.

Diehard Ute
10-23-2013, 05:00 PM
The great thing about basketball is that your mind is occupied and you are having fun while exercising. I can play ball for 2-3 hours no problem, but if I tried to exert at that level for 2-3 hours on the road or a treadmill, my mind would be focused on the pain and suffering. Even movies or music can't distract me enough while on a treadmill.

Finding an activity or exercise that you can find enjoyable, even if it takes a while, is the key to success.

So couple that with being forced to run 6-8 miles 3 times a week for 5 months as part of your job....and people wondered why I hated the police academy haha

Jarid in Cedar
10-24-2013, 09:48 PM
Training for a mini Tri in December. Prepare to be amazed!!

LA Ute
10-24-2013, 10:02 PM
Training for a mini Tri in December. Prepare to be amazed!!

I'm already impressed.

chrisrenrut
10-31-2013, 08:11 PM
End of October, and we have over 545 miles as a group (plus any late entries). That is the equivalent of:
Salt Lake to past Baker, CA, home of the world's largest thermometer and dingiest motel pools
Salt Lake to past Missoula MT, the city where 5 mountain ranges converge
Salt Lake to nearly Pendleton OR, home of famous wool shirts and blankets
Salt Lake to nearly Sidney, NE, home of Cabela's corporate HQ and original store
Hartsville, SC to Dayton, OH, home of almost nothing interesting at all. Thanks, Dayton.

Eldiente is the leader, with Eldo a close second (and most consistent, with 23 days recorded), and LA Ute a distant third.

Hopefully everyone is getting closer to their goals. I know the month was a bit of a disappointment for me. Illness took me out a few days, but my other excuses seem weak (busy schedule, travel, need sleep more than exercise).

I am going to hide the October columns, and unhide the November columns. If you need to go back and enter October numbers, you can unhide the columns and then hide them again once finished. (Unhide by selecting columns D and AJ, right click, and select Unhide).

Now that one month is in the books, anyone willing to state a goal for November mileage? I would like to get up to 90 miles for the month, and I can't decide if spending two weeks of the month in Hawaii will help or hurt my chances.

Sisyphus
11-03-2013, 12:38 AM
First entry logged today... I got a lot of catching up to do but I'll get there. 2:15:00 Bike ride on a lovely Saturday afternoon in November.

My Goal for November is 2-3 Commute Rides a week and 30-35 miles on Saturdays (all cycling). Comes out to about 350 for the month.

UTEopia
11-03-2013, 05:12 PM
I started with my fitness pal a week ago. I currently weigh 205 and would like to get down to 195. I try to get to the gym twice a week and do Bikram Yoga at least once a week. In the summer months I do a lot more hiking. One thing I have noticed about my fitness pal is that I do not get any extra calories for lifting weights and I seem to get a lot for cardio. The think I like about my fitness pal is that I am rewarded with extra calories for exercise. That is a nice payoff.

LA Ute
11-04-2013, 06:34 PM
I don't like traveling but I have to do it. One positive is that I get a chance to do a different workout. I'm in Washington for a few days and didn't bring the right clothes to exercise outside, so I'll do the elliptical tomorrow. Usually I go down to the Mall and run from Washington to Lincoln and back. This time I'll just watch CNN or maybe an old Law & Order episode.

LA Ute
11-07-2013, 05:33 PM
I did see a smiley that made me think of sisyphus in reverse. It has an exercise angle too.

wuapinmon
11-08-2013, 09:14 AM
So, this morning, I got to the pool a little early, and I pushed myself to a new record. 2/3 mile in 58 minutes. At the end my calves and biceps were cramping, but I did it!

LA Ute
11-08-2013, 09:22 AM
So, this morning, I got to the pool a little early, and I pushed myself to a new record. 2/3 mile in 58 minutes. At the end my calves and biceps were cramping, but I did it!

:clap:

Sisyphus
11-08-2013, 01:58 PM
I did see a smiley that made me think of sisyphus in reverse. It has an exercise angle too.

Love it!

Jarid in Cedar
11-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Getting the weeks data loaded. 2 rides, 1 run and 3 swims (Both ride and swim on Friday)

chrisrenrut
11-11-2013, 10:17 PM
Getting the weeks data loaded. 2 rides, 1 run and 3 swims (Both ride and swim on Friday)

Dang, looks like you're serious about training for your Tri. Impressive numbers.

Eldiente, not as many long runs lately. Are you starting your your taper this soon? Hopefully it's that and not an injury or something else keeping keeping your mileage down.

Jarid in Cedar
11-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Dang, looks like you're serious about training for your Tri. Impressive numbers.

Eldiente, not as many long runs lately. Are you starting your your taper this soon? Hopefully it's that and not an injury or something else keeping keeping your mileage down.

I hit the trifecta today. 5.1 mile run, 23 mile bike and 2400 meter swim. :rockon:

Diehard Ute
11-11-2013, 10:35 PM
I hit the trifecta today. 5.1 mile run, 23 mile bike and 2400 meter swim. :rockon:

I'll be over shortly to commit you to a mental hospital

Jarid in Cedar
11-11-2013, 11:01 PM
I'll be over shortly to commit you to a mental hospital

Catch me if you can :D

Diehard Ute
11-11-2013, 11:53 PM
Catch me if you can :D

Radios and cars my friend. Radios and cars.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Late to the party, but in the books. Starting from scratch here.

wuapinmon
11-12-2013, 12:54 PM

When you swim, do you do it last or first?

Jarid in Cedar
11-12-2013, 01:43 PM
When you swim, do you do it last or first?

I did the swim last. Each leg was at a different time of the day. Run early morning, ride around 3 and swim at 8 pm.

wuapinmon
11-12-2013, 02:10 PM
I did the swim last. Each leg was at a different time of the day. Run early morning, ride around 3 and swim at 8 pm.

Is that 2300m all freestyle? In my local pool (25 yards) that'd be 100 lengths, which would take a strong and in-shape swimmer around an hour and 20 minutes. You must be burning some serious calories lately. Congrats.

Jarid in Cedar
11-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Is that 2300m all freestyle? In my local pool (25 yards) that'd be 100 lengths, which would take a strong and in-shape swimmer around an hour and 20 minutes. You must be burning some serious calories lately. Congrats.

The pool is 25 meter. I did it all breast stroke(the only stroke I know real technique, my crawl looks more like I am drowning with style). I was knocking out 400 m roughly every 10 minutes, and felt like I could have gone another 800 meters without breaking pace. I found a good groove. This morning I did 1600 in 41 minutes, so I think I found a great cadence that is staying aerobic while maximizing speed. The race distance for the sprint-tri is 400 meters. I am hoping that I can shave my time on that to about 8 minutes on raceday (12/14)

wuapinmon
11-12-2013, 02:40 PM
The pool is 25 meter. I did it all breast stroke(the only stroke I know real technique, my crawl looks more like I am drowning with style). I was knocking out 400 m roughly every 10 minutes, and felt like I could have gone another 800 meters without breaking pace. I found a good groove. This morning I did 1600 in 41 minutes, so I think I found a great cadence that is staying aerobic while maximizing speed. The race distance for the sprint-tri is 400 meters. I am hoping that I can shave my time on that to about 8 minutes on raceday (12/14)

8 minutes for 400m of breaststroke would be as fast as I've ever seen anyone who didn't have the name of a country on their suit swim that distance. I hope you're able to pull it off. I don't know much about distance running and bike riding, but I know that sometimes I like to swim 50 yards of breaststroke because I get to breathe more often and I don't feel as exhausted after a lap. However, if I try and swim all breaststroke, when I'm done, my arms ache like I had a burnout workout with weights.

Again, congrats.

UTEopia
11-12-2013, 06:22 PM
I started with myfitnespal 4 weeks ago with the goal of losing 10 pounds and going from 205 to 195. I have lost 4 lbs and my fitness pal really has helped me to cut out calories that I don't need and to be more consistent in my exercise. I try to get to the gym twice a week and get a good hike in 4-6 miles twice a week. As the snow flies I will substitute Bikram Yoga (toughest workout ever) for the hikes.

chrisrenrut
11-13-2013, 07:05 PM
I made some small updates to the spreadsheet. I moved UTEopia's row up so it will be included in the group total, and added monthly totals at the far bottom right.

Looking at the results, I'm wondering what mileage we can make it to in November. We were at 629 in October, but didn't have any contributions from Dwight, UTEopia, or Sysiphus, and just a taste of Jared's already impressive mileage. Could we make 1000 miles, with 11 active participants? It may be a bit of a stretch goal. Right now we are on pace for about 800 miles in November, but I think some folks may have some miles to enter from past days.

eldiente
11-14-2013, 10:41 PM
I was on a cruise ship last week and couldn't take the 85 degree days when we were ashore to run very long. I hope to have a couple of long runs this week.

wuapinmon
11-15-2013, 09:20 AM
101.6F fever last night, I cancelled class and slept 12 hours. Hopefully, I'll be back in the saddle for Monday.

chrisrenrut
11-15-2013, 01:38 PM
101.6F fever last night, I cancelled class and slept 12 hours. Hopefully, I'll be back in the saddle for Monday.

Here's hoping for your quick healing and getting your energy back quickly.

Your consistency has been impressive. Do you have a pull at the school that you use? I'm trying to figure out how to fit some swimming into my schedule. The nearest pool is a few miles away, and I'm thinking I'll get up early before work, swim, and then have my clothes there and shower and change and go straight to work.

wuapinmon
11-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Here's hoping for your quick healing and getting your energy back quickly.

Your consistency has been impressive. Do you have a pull at the school that you use? I'm trying to figure out how to fit some swimming into my schedule. The nearest pool is a few miles away, and I'm thinking I'll get up early before work, swim, and then have my clothes there and shower and change and go straight to work.

The YMCA is about 1000 feet from my office, so it's not part of campus, but it's catty corner to it. I teach at 9AM MWF and 8AM TTh. I go at 7:30 on MWF and swim until 8:30ish. Then I shower, dress, and walk to work. It usually leaves me feeling energized for the day.

chrisrenrut
11-19-2013, 10:41 AM
The biggest food holiday of the year is about a week away. The American Council on Fitness says that the average American consumes 3,000 calories and 229 grams of fat on Thanksgiving.

“A 160 lb. person would have to run at a moderate pace for four hours, swim for five hours or walk 30 miles to burn off a 3,000-calorie Thanksgiving Day meal,” said Dr. Cedric Bryant, ACE chief exercise physiologist. “Many people start by snacking throughout the day and that combined with the meal can lead to a total caloric intake of 4,500. All holiday delicacies can be enjoyed so long as they’re eaten in moderation and combined with a proper exercise plan.”

I think Jarid might need that many calories per day based on his miles this month, but the rest of us probably don't. Keep up the workouts to allow yourself a guilt-free Thanksgiving meal.

Jarid in Cedar
11-19-2013, 10:37 PM
The biggest food holiday of the year is about a week away. The American Council on Fitness says that the average American consumes 3,000 calories and 229 grams of fat on Thanksgiving.

“A 160 lb. person would have to run at a moderate pace for four hours, swim for five hours or walk 30 miles to burn off a 3,000-calorie Thanksgiving Day meal,” said Dr. Cedric Bryant, ACE chief exercise physiologist. “Many people start by snacking throughout the day and that combined with the meal can lead to a total caloric intake of 4,500. All holiday delicacies can be enjoyed so long as they’re eaten in moderation and combined with a proper exercise plan.”

I think Jarid might need that many calories per day based on his miles this month, but the rest of us probably don't. Keep up the workouts to allow yourself a guilt-free Thanksgiving meal.

I hope that moderating Thanksgiving will pair well with my caloric burn :)

chrisrenrut
11-21-2013, 10:18 AM
I ended my run today in the best way I can possibly think of; taking off my shoes and walking along the beach with my wife,while the warm Hawaii ocean soothed my tired feet.

LA Ute
11-21-2013, 10:20 AM
I've been absent but have not updated my stats. Just wanted you all to know I am still in the game with you.

chrisrenrut
11-21-2013, 11:26 AM
I've been absent but have not updated my stats. Just wanted you all to know I am still in the game with you.

Good to hear. I was starting to wonder if your knee problems mentioned in the other thread had put you on the sidelines.

LA Ute
11-21-2013, 11:58 AM
Good to hear. I was starting to wonder if your knee problems mentioned in the other thread had put you on the sidelines.

No, it's just work that swallowed me up for a while.

wuapinmon
11-25-2013, 10:37 AM
I really pushed it this morning. I dropped my personal best in 2/3 mile from 58 minutes to 51 minutes. Then I swam an extra lap and a half for a new distance record of 25 1/2 laps.

LA Ute
11-25-2013, 11:09 AM
I really pushed it this morning. I dropped my personal best in 2/3 mile from 58 minutes to 51 minutes. Then I swam an extra lap and a half for a new distance record of 25 1/2 laps.

:clap:

Jarid in Cedar
11-25-2013, 10:56 PM

Assuming a 25 meter pool, based on that many laps, you are going 1200 meters(24 laps), which is 3/4 mile.

Jarid in Cedar
11-25-2013, 10:56 PM
2200 meters today in 57 minutes.

wuapinmon
11-26-2013, 05:59 AM
Assuming a 25 meter pool, based on that many laps, you are going 1200 meters(24 laps), which is 3/4 mile.

I wish. It's a confirmed 25 yard pool. :( But! If I hadn't had to have gone to teach, I'm confident I could've done the mile without stopping. Swimming has changed my life.

Viking
11-26-2013, 07:21 PM
I'm trying to lose 15 lbs. I think if i reduce my "mild barley drink" consumption by 50%, I can get about 10 lbs in a few months. My issue is I need to get my heart rate at consistently high levels and it's too darn dangerous to ride my bike where I live and I have bad knees, so running is kind of a waste. I get bored at the gym but I'm thinking of swimming, instead.

LadyUte
11-29-2013, 02:09 PM
I am super late to this party. I am going to start Monday. I don't really need to lose any weight. Maybe 5 pounds for vanity sake. I would just like to track what I am doing every day. I lift a lot of weights but I am not sure the names of the exercises I do. Does anybody know where I can find this so I can track my weight lifting. And do I really have to tell how much I weigh? :P

LA Ute
11-29-2013, 02:38 PM
I am super late to this party. I am going to start Monday. I don't really need to lose any weight. Maybe 5 pounds for vanity sake. I would just like to track what I am doing every day. I lift a lot of weights but I am not sure the names of the exercises I do. Does anybody know where I can find this so I can track my weight lifting. And do I really have to tell how much I weigh? :P

Only doofuses like me post their weight here. No need to do that. I did it to put pressure I'm myself. I don't expect to see a lot of progress in that regard until after the new year, frankly. But once I get going you guys will be impressed, mark my words!

wuapinmon
12-02-2013, 09:43 AM
I don't want to mess anything up on the spreadsheet. Just posting that I'll need to add 6.73 for this morning. Holy crap, though! I was dragging BAAAAADLY this morning, though I was pleased that my weight was within a 10th of a pound of what it was Monday before Thanksgiving.

LA Ute
12-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Are we missing December on the log sheet, or am I just unable to find it?

chrisrenrut
12-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Are we missing December on the log sheet, or am I just unable to find it?

Just have to unhide the columns. I do it when I get home, I can't access google docs for my work computer, and working with the spreadsheet on my phone is impossible.

wuapinmon
12-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Just have to unhide the columns. I do it when I get home, I can't access google docs for my work computer, and working with the spreadsheet on my phone is impossible.

Obrigado pela ajuda.

chrisrenrut
12-02-2013, 08:04 PM
I have hidden November's columns, and unhidden December. If you want to still put in miles for days in November, select columns D and AI, right click, and select Unhide.

Jared was the run (swim, and bike) away mileage winner in November. Eldiente and Eldo had great months as well, and Waup and LA remained very consistent. We beat October's total miles by 230 miles.

The 1488 miles so far could allow one to travel from SLC to Ann Arbor MI, with a side trip to Sandusky OH for a day at Cedar Point.
Sorry Waup, 1488 miles from Hartsville will only get you to the middle of Kansas, South Dakota, or Minnesota. No place that I could find interesting.

UtahDan
12-03-2013, 08:20 AM
Ooh i need in on this.

LA Ute
12-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Ooh i need in on this.

Come on in, the water is fine!

wuapinmon
12-03-2013, 09:56 PM
When we first got married, and I had a lot going on at age 25, I'd list all of the things I had to do, and then I'd through a "I'm gonna be 40" in for comedic effect. My wife and I would laugh in the face of old age the way only the young can do. But, damned if 40 hasn't arrived like a thief in the night.

LA Ute
12-04-2013, 07:32 AM
When we first got married, and I had a lot going on at age 25, I'd list all of the things I had to do, and then I'd through a "I'm gonna be 40" in for comedic effect. My wife and I would laugh in the face of old age the way only the young can do. But, damned if 40 hasn't arrived like a thief in the night.

If you keep calling me Viejo now....

wuapinmon
12-07-2013, 12:27 AM
Since I started swimming in Jan 2012.

---------Jan 2012-----------------August 2012--------------November 2013
Weight-----445----------------------416--------------------409
Sugar -----116----------------------103---------------------103
HDL-------18-----------------------32-----------------------37
Total-----213-----------------------186----------------------194
Trigly-----156-----------------------123---------------------92
LDL -----can't remember------------129-----------------------147
A1C-----5.8------------------------5.7-------------------not tested
bp------148/75--------------------111/68--------------------130/88 (I was taking Claritin D at the time; it's come down since to about 125/70)

LA Ute
12-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Since I started swimming in Jan 2012.

---------Jan 2012-----------------August 2012--------------November 2013
Weight-----445----------------------416--------------------409
Sugar -----116----------------------103---------------------103
HDL-------18-----------------------32-----------------------37
Total-----213-----------------------186----------------------194
Trigly-----156-----------------------123---------------------92
LDL -----can't remember------------129-----------------------147
A1C-----5.8------------------------5.7-------------------not tested
bp------148/75--------------------111/68--------------------130/88 (I was taking Claritin D at the time; it's come down since to about 125/70)

Awesome, Mac. A 40-lb weight loss is quite an accomplishment. Bravo!

LA Ute
12-07-2013, 09:39 AM
Jarid is smoking us all. Show-off.

Jarid in Cedar
12-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Jarid is smoking us all. Show-off.

I have been sick this week. It took some of the wind out of my sails. Being fat helps pad the totals on some of the exercises as well.

wuapinmon
12-08-2013, 10:24 AM
I have been sick this week. It took some of the wind out of my sails. Being fat helps pad the totals on some of the exercises as well.

If being fat helps, I should be destroying you all. You're also putting in the work.

OrangeUte
12-09-2013, 04:46 PM
finally updated my last month of workouts. i'm on the low end of what's going on here. I need to bump it up a notch.

LA Ute
12-13-2013, 09:02 AM
An interesting article on what's called the Paleo diet.

http://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/paleo-the-good-bad-and-the-ugly

wuapinmon
12-13-2013, 11:14 AM
I'm finally over a hellacious cold and final exams. I'll be back in the pool on Monday.

wuapinmon
12-18-2013, 08:31 AM
I swam a mile this morning. It took me over 90 minutes, but I did it. My right arm started hurting with about 10 laps to go, but I just pushed through it. I think a tendon was getting rubbed the wrong way. It only hurts when I move it, but I bet tomorrow morning is going to be fun. Right now, I AM STARVING. The idea of french fries and gravy is all I can think about.

Better go eat some fruit and a steak.

chrisrenrut
12-23-2013, 11:55 PM
This whole thing fell apart for me in December. I had to work 60-80 hour weeks, got called as the Ward clerk during Tithing settlement, had all the family and seasonal events, and sprained an ankle and caught a nasty cold. Running on the beach in Hawaii seems like a lifetime ago, I don't feel like I could run a mile right now.

So now I get to be one of those New Years Resolution guys to get back into shape. Good thing is, I haven't really put on much weight.

I feel bad about putting this together and the dropping off so badly. Hopefully others have gotten more out of it than I have. If we do this again, I say we pool some funds and hire DevilDog to be our internet Drill Sergeant :)

LA Ute
12-24-2013, 09:46 AM
This whole thing fell apart for me in December. I had to work 60-80 hour weeks, got called as the Ward clerk during Tithing settlement, had all the family and seasonal events, and sprained an ankle and caught a nasty cold. Running on the beach in Hawaii seems like a lifetime ago, I don't feel like I could run a mile right now.

So now I get to be one of those New Years Resolution guys to get back into shape. Good thing is, I haven't really put on much weight.

I feel bad about putting this together and the dropping off so badly. Hopefully others have gotten more out of it than I have. If we do this again, I say we pool some funds and hire DevilDog to be our internet Drill Sergeant :)

Hang in, chrisrenute. That's the key to fitness -- not giving up.

I haven't updated for a week or so - swallowed up in family stuff - but I'm still in the game.

Devildog
12-31-2013, 11:45 AM
If we do this again, I say we pool some funds and hire DevilDog to be our internet Drill Sergeant :)

Yeah... you don't want that.

NSFW

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=06d_1384454501

LA Ute
02-21-2014, 10:20 AM
Well, this thread has been on life support. Time to revive it. I can report that I have been diligent, even though I've totally forgotten to record my efforts here. I've also gotten serious about my diet and have lost almost 10 pounds (now down to 236 from a dismal starting point just north of 245 :Ashamed:). So I'll be reporting here more often. I weigh myself every Saturday because that keeps me focused on longer-term goals. I plan to get back to my fighting weight of about 210-215.

NOTE: Chrisrenute, the spread sheet stops at January 31. Can you update it?

chrisrenrut
02-21-2014, 01:34 PM
Well, this thread has been on life support. Time to revive it. I can report that I have been diligent, even though I've totally forgotten to record my efforts here. I've also gotten serious about my diet and have lost almost 10 pounds (now down to 236 from a dismal starting point just north of 245 :Ashamed:). So I'll be reporting here more often. I weigh myself every Saturday because that keeps me focused on longer-term goals. I plan to get back to my fighting weight of about 210-215.

NOTE: Chrisrenute, the spread sheet stops at January 31. Can you update it?

Great job keeping up the effort. I rededicated myself to my efforts in February.

The original challenge was through the end of the year. My brother extended it through January because he wanted to continue tracking his "mileage" (which was mostly the calories he was converting from snowboarding). I'm happy to build it out through the rest of this year if anyone wants to continue tracking their efforts. I may break it into tabs instead of of extending the rows. I'll report back when it is ready.

LA Ute
02-21-2014, 01:58 PM
Great job keeping up the effort. I rededicated myself to my efforts in February.

The original challenge was through the end of the year. My brother extended it through January because he wanted to continue tracking his "mileage" (which was mostly the calories he was converting from snowboarding). I'm happy to build it out through the rest of this year if anyone wants to continue tracking their efforts. I may break it into tabs instead of of extending the rows. I'll report back when it is ready.

I hate to see you go to all that effort. I didn't realize (notice?) the time-lited nature of this project. Maybe we should just go through the rest of the first quarter of 2014?

chrisrenrut
02-22-2014, 10:43 PM
I hate to see you go to all that effort. I didn't realize (notice?) the time-lited nature of this project. Maybe we should just go through the rest of the first quarter of 2014?

I have set the spreadsheet up through the rest of the year. It wasn't hard to do. Anyone is welcome to use it to track their mileage.

chrisrenrut
02-22-2014, 10:44 PM
Wuap, are you able to do any swimming while you are in Costa Rica?

wuapinmon
02-23-2014, 02:17 PM
Wuap, are you able to do any swimming while you are in Costa Rica?

No, other than a couple of weeks at the beginning of June, I will be out of the pool until August. But, never you fear, I live in an extraordinarily hilly town at 5,700 fasl, and I go out and walk every day enough to get out of breath. I've lost a little weight here, but I'm largely sitting at my computer writing every day. Come March, I'll be much more active.

LA Ute
03-08-2014, 01:22 PM
Well, I've been diligent even though I'm not logging my efforts daily. Total weight loss now 16.0 lbs. Feeling good!

LA Ute
05-02-2014, 12:53 PM
Just got my latest physical exam results. Cholesterol is 155, with LDL ("bad" cholesterol) at 93, and HDL ("good") at 46. Looks like I am going to live.

Weight loss at 25 lbs. Another 3-4 lbs. and I'll back where I want to be.

LA Ute
05-02-2014, 01:35 PM
Congrats, that's quite a significant loss. What have you been eating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I simply continued my exercise program, which was pretty good already, and emphasized fruits and veggies, whole grains, etc., while reducing needles fats and mostly eliminating stuff like ice cream and other high-fat, high-carb items. I used the Weight Watchers "Simple Start" booklet, which helps find tasty foods that will still help you lose, and encourages you to treat yourself regularly but intelligently. It was all pretty painless, I never felt deprived (a big problem with many weight loss efforts) and I lost about 2 lbs each week for 12 weeks. My goal is to just decide on a way of eating that I will stick with from now on. Easier said than done....

chrisrenrut
05-02-2014, 08:34 PM
I have been pretty good about training for my first sprint triathlon, coming up on the 10th. There have been a few mornings I haven't been able to get out of bed, but I'm out as planned about 90% of the time. I have even been taking it easy at our weekly Wednesday night basketball game, trying to make sure I avoid injury.

This wednesday, a church meeting went long, and I decided to skip basketball, partly glad that I wouldn't take a chance at spraining an ankle 10 days before the race. And I wanted to get out Thursday morning to get some running in.

On my Thursday morning run, 1/2 mile from home at 5:45 am, I stepped on a rock in the road and sprain my ankle. :swear:. I had to limp home the last 1/2 mile, and then the rest of the day at work.

Tomorrow I'll try to swim and bike on it, and hope I can start running on it again by Wednesday. I guess worst case for the race is I can do the swim and bike, and then walk the 5k course.

LA Ute
05-03-2014, 12:03 AM
I have been pretty good about training for my first sprint triathlon, coming up on the 10th. There have been a few mornings I haven't been able to get out of bed, but I'm out as planned about 90% of the time. I have even been taking it easy at our weekly Wednesday night basketball game, trying to make sure I avoid injury.

This wednesday, a church meeting went long, and I decided to skip basketball, partly glad that I wouldn't take a chance at spraining an ankle 10 days before the race. And I wanted to get out Thursday morning to get some running in.

On my Thursday morning run, 1/2 mile from home at 5:45 am, I stepped on a rock in the road and sprain my ankle. :swear:. I had to limp home the last 1/2 mile, and then the rest of the day at work.

Tomorrow I'll try to swim and bike on it, and hope I can start running on it again by Wednesday. I guess worst case for the race is I can do the swim and bike, and then walk the 5k course.

Argh. Hang in there and heal up fast. Maybe get some PT? A little ultrasound and the other magic they do might speed recovery.

bestellen
03-26-2017, 08:31 AM
You do have to remember my tender and sensitive feelings as you get on my case.