PDA

View Full Version : Week 8 Open Thread

sancho
10-14-2013, 08:53 AM
The ESPN power rankings:

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/63436/pac-12-power-rankings-week-7-4

Pac-12 schedule:

Charleston Southern @ CU (make up for lost flood game, counts toward bowl eligibility for Buffs)
UCLA @ Stanford (game of the week)
UW @ ASU (must win for each team's hopes)
USC @ ND (SC unbeaten since the coaching change)
Utah @ Arizona (south division pecking order)
Wazzu @ Oregon (30 point spread?)
OSU @ Cal (Beavers become bowl eligible)

LA Ute
10-18-2013, 06:25 PM
Listening to Hans Olson interview Jason Franchuk. Is Franchuk as big a homer as he seems to be? He's making Harmon seem objective.

Utah
10-19-2013, 10:55 AM
I love watching TCU to down. I'm sick of hearing how they are better than Utah, and how Utah has struggled in a better league, yet TCU starts the year ranked, when Utah has out performed TCU at equal points in their transition.

Utah
10-19-2013, 11:03 AM
Okl St is terrible. Sheesh. And they are ranked? Oh, but they beat a SEC team who wins are over Alcorn, Troy and Bowling Green.

Pathetic. Utah would beat Oklahoma State by 21.

And TCU looks even worse.

sancho
10-19-2013, 11:16 AM
I love watching TCU to down. I'm sick of hearing how they are better than Utah, and how Utah has struggled in a better league, yet TCU starts the year ranked, when Utah has out performed TCU at equal points in their transition.

I thought you were wrong about TCU earlier, but I agree with you now. They are really struggling. Funny, they were a dark horse candidate in the BIg12 this year, just like we were in year 2 in the Pac-12. Then we both lost our starting QB.

OrangeUte
10-19-2013, 12:23 PM
My youngest son is a big tcu fan so I watch their games with him often. This is not a good tcu team like they have had in years past. Couple that with qb issues and you have the present game.

LA Ute
10-19-2013, 02:36 PM
I'm watching the UCLA-Stanford game and realizing that I really like Jim Mora and David Shaw. Classy guys, good coaches. Glad to be in the same conference with them!

sancho
10-19-2013, 04:34 PM
I'm watching the UCLA-Stanford game and realizing that I really like Jim Mora and David Shaw. Classy guys, good coaches. Glad to be in the same conference with them!

I hope they both fail, that their teams return to mediocrity, and that they are coaching in the MAC within 3 years. But, yeah, I guess they are classy enough.

Shaw keeps saying he's not interested in other jobs. He may regret that if Stanford returns to its rightful place at the bottom of the Pac-12. I can picture him 20 years from now coaching somewhere in the FCS and waking up every day thinking "If I had just taken that USC job, I'd have 4 rings and a sure place in the college football hall of fame."

OrangeUte
10-19-2013, 05:07 PM
Stanford and ucla game was fun to watch. Stanford is very old school but with big strong fast athletes. Gaffney had an excellent game.

I wish we had that ucla game back. Damn!

Byu is struggling to put this game away. Their defense is coming up big in the 4th quarter though so I expect that they will win.

LA Ute
10-19-2013, 05:14 PM
I hope they both fail, that their teams return to mediocrity, and that they are coaching in the MAC within 3 years. But, yeah, I guess they are classy enough.

Shaw keeps saying he's not interested in other jobs. He may regret that if Stanford returns to its rightful place at the bottom of the Pac-12. I can picture him 20 years from now coaching somewhere in the FCS and waking up every day thinking "If I had just taken that USC job, I'd have 4 rings and a sure place in the college football hall of fame."

I'd rather play against (and beat) them than have to suffer conference mates like Bronco and Gary Patterson. Compare Bronco's statement ("Utah was one play better tonight") with Shaw's post-game comments.

OrangeUte
10-19-2013, 05:18 PM
Wow. Byu getting help from stupid Houston penalties.

Now byu kills themselves with a roughing the passer. Wow.

sancho
10-19-2013, 05:25 PM
Wow. Byu getting help from stupid Houston penalties.

Now byu kills themselves with a roughing the passer. Wow.

I'm watching A&M/Auburn instead, but this sounds like two BYU rules facing off against each other: (1) BYU never blows it against bad teams and (2) BYU never beats teams that can throw the ball. Immovable object vs unstoppable force.

OrangeUte
10-19-2013, 05:37 PM
I'm watching A&M/Auburn instead, but this sounds like two BYU rules facing off against each other: (1) BYU never blows it against bad teams and (2) BYU never beats teams that can throw the ball. Immovable object vs unstoppable force.

Haha!

Byu intercepts to end the game. I want our win over them to be against a good team.

sancho
10-19-2013, 05:39 PM
Byu intercepts to end the game. I want our win over them to be against a good team.

Pity. No need to worry about our win over BYU meaning anything. We beat Stanford. It's always better for Utah in every way to have BYU fail.

sancho
10-19-2013, 05:40 PM
I have a bad bad feeling about the ASU game later this season. They look great.

Applejack
10-19-2013, 05:59 PM
Pity. No need to worry about our win over BYU meaning anything. We beat Stanford. It's always better for Utah in every way to have BYU fail.

:highfive:

Applejack
10-19-2013, 06:00 PM

I want to be a player in the South this year. To be a playa, we needed UCLA and ASU to lose today (and a Utah win). Looks like we're going to get one of two.

OrangeUte
10-19-2013, 06:06 PM

Just thinking that they look great. Having them at home is nice. I went to that game last year. It was brutal leaving the stadium.

USC looks pretty good so far against Notre dame. We match up better with them than asu and their speed.

sancho
10-19-2013, 06:08 PM
USC looks pretty good so far against Notre dame. We match up better with them than asu and their speed.

SC wins this game, and they will be riding high, believing that Orgeron has fixed everything.

chrisrenrut
10-19-2013, 06:45 PM
What happened with Johnny Manziel under the stadium after we hurt his shoulder: