PDA

View Full Version : Building a Trojan Horse: Utah vs. USC 2013

LA Ute
10-20-2013, 11:34 AM
OK, let's put the belly-flop in Tucson behind us. We have our second game at the Coliseum ahead of us this Saturday. It seems to me we are in no position to talk about this game until we know who will be starting at QB (a question I thought we wouldn't have to ask this season). What do you all think?

U-Ute
10-20-2013, 12:16 PM
OK, let's put the belly-flop in Tucson behind us. We have our second game at the Coliseum ahead of us this Saturday. It seems to me we are in no position to talk about this game until we know who will be starting at QB (a question I thought we wouldn't have to ask this season). What do you all think?

It depends on the injury. On TV, it looked like Wilson had some sort of accident with a garbage disposal. The guy had more tape on his hand than a boxer.

After watching Shultz, I think we can all say that, while Schultz has moxie, Wilson gives us a better chance to win.

LA Ute
10-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Kyle in his presser right now said whether Wilson plays will be "a medical staff decision." Might be a game-time decision too. Schulz will be the replacement if it is for only one game, Manning will be in the running if Travis is out for the rest of the season. (Meaning that it is possible Travis is out for the season. Ugh.) NOTE: KW also said this all comes into play "if Travis is out an extended period, which we don't think he will be."

wally
10-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Kyle in his presser right now said whether Wilson plays will be "a medical staff decision." Might be a game-time decision too. Schulz will be the replacement if it is for only one game, Manning will be in the running if Travis is out for the rest of the season. (Meaning that it is possible Travis is out for the season. Ugh.) NOTE: KW also said this all comes into play "if Travis is out an extended period, which we don't think he will be."

According to Lya Wodraska (as best as I can piece together from twitter snippets):

If Wilson can return this season, Schulz will start, if not, Manning will compete with Schulz in practice to have the opportunity to burn his redshirt.

The guys on 1280 were saying that Whitt wants to get medical opinions and have a decision/plan going forward by tomorrow evening so that practice be effective for replacement QB(s) if necessary.

FWIW.

sancho
10-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Does USC have the best defense in the conference? I don't know the answer, but they have to be up there, right?

I think our defense vs their offense is a great matchup for us. They rely on Madden and Redd, neither of whom is Kadeem Carey. But can we score on them?

Applejack
10-21-2013, 05:08 PM
Does USC have the best defense in the conference? I don't know the answer, but they have to be up there, right?

I think our defense vs their offense is a great matchup for us. They rely on Madden and Redd, neither of whom is Kadeem Carey. But can we score on them?

If we are running an offense built around Schultz, Dres "Double Team" Anderson, Fitzy, Denham, and a bunch of shorties, we are going to need two defensive scores to win. MAFU!

LA Ute
10-21-2013, 05:24 PM
If we are running an offense built around Schultz, Dres "Double Team" Anderson, Fitzy, Denham, and a bunch of shorties, we are going to need two defensive scores to win. MAFU!

Two catches for 20 yards against AZ, right?

Diehard Ute
10-22-2013, 02:26 PM
Per a Lya blog today Whit is confident Travis will play this week. His only caveat was saying he hoped he wasn't too optimistic, but he seemed fairly certain

Scorcho
10-22-2013, 05:52 PM
I read that USC's Defense is ranked 16th in the country, which is sort of surprising considering they gave up 600+ yards and nearly 60 points to ASU

GarthUte
10-22-2013, 06:30 PM
It depends on the injury. On TV, it looked like Wilson had some sort of accident with a garbage disposal. The guy had more tape on his hand than a boxer.

After watching Shultz, I think we can all say that, while Schultz has moxie, Wilson gives us a better chance to win.

Agreed. Schultz can be effective in some sort of package meant to throw the other team off a bit, but for the long term, he's not the answer. I tend to think that Wilson has bigger upside in the big picture.

LA Ute
10-22-2013, 06:51 PM
Let us all unite in inter-denominational prayer (including skeptics, atheists, and agnostics, who can simply send good wishes) for Travis' speedy recovery in time to play well Saturday.

sancho
10-22-2013, 07:42 PM
I read that USC's Defense is ranked 16th in the country, which is sort of surprising considering they gave up 600+ yards and nearly 60 points to ASU

When I have seen them, they look amazing. Whenever I don't watch them, they give up big yards. Sorry guys, but I am watching this Saturday.

I think depth is their problem. Once they get worn out in the 4th, and they are either winning or losing big, they give up the big yards.

LA Ute
10-22-2013, 10:22 PM
When I have seen them, they look amazing. Whenever I don't watch them, they give up big yards. Sorry guys, but I am watching this Saturday.

I think depth is their problem. Once they get worn out in the 4th, and they are either winning or losing big, they give up the big yards.

You can watch as long as you hang on to that button.

DrumNFeather
10-23-2013, 08:17 AM
Of Utah's remaining games, I feel like this is their second best chance to win (CU, USC, Wazzu, ASU, Oregon). I say this mostly because I'm concerned about our ability to consistently stop Wazzu's passing attack. To say that our secondary concerns me is an understatement.

My concern with this game is that I'm not sure we'll be able to get the edge the way we did against Stanford. While we didn't try it much vs. Arizona, when we did try it, they were ready for it, and I think USC's strength lies in their ends and backers, so that concerns me.

My second concern is that for all the high praise we heard about Adam Schultz, it feels like the coaches were acting like they had John Hays in there. It's almost like after the flea flicker, they reminded themselves that they still just had a backup in. I remember when Ratliff came in for BJ and they just seemed to let him go out there, not really think, and let her rip. Perhaps this needed to be the approach with Schultz, I don't know. Or, perhaps he's just not that talented...again, I don't know.

As for this game, I believe it is certainly winnable. We've got to use our three headed monster at RB to our advantage and do whatever we can to slow down their ends. We might need a few more screens and quick hitters, and certainly need our stars to make catches.

Diehard Ute
10-23-2013, 08:22 AM
All reports yesterday indicate Travis is playing. He practiced, with a glove on his hand. Said after practice his finger was a bit sore but wasn't causing problems. Said at Arizona he lost the ability to grip the football. He vowed to play.

Senioritis
10-24-2013, 03:14 PM
It seems very strange that this game feels like the second best shot for a win of the remaining games, but I think it is.

1. Colorado
2. USC
3. WSU

4. ASU

5. Oregon

If we are ever going to beat Ed Orgeron in the Coliseum, this is the year to do it!

Senioritis
10-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Also, the Arizona pass defense was highly underappreciated by Diehard Utah Utes Fans. They are 14th in efficiency now.

USC is currently 42nd - below UCLA, BYU, Stanford, and USU.

However, they are the best rushing defense Utah will have faced.

If Wilson is healthy, even with only one legitimate threat, I think Utah will be able to pass enough to score more than 0 points. I don't feel too great about the running game.

The conundrum is that the O line is so much better at run blocking than pass blocking, but USC is so much more susceptible to the pass than to the run. Will Utah try to take advantage of the relative weakness of the pass D, or will they stubbornly flop and flail in the run game?

I vote for flop and flail.

sancho
10-24-2013, 03:22 PM
It seems very strange that this game feels like the second best shot for a win of the remaining games, but I think it is.

1. Colorado
2. USC
3. WSU

4. ASU

5. Oregon

If we are ever going to beat Ed Orgeron in the Coliseum, this is the year to do it!

We're 0-2 vs USC and 2-0 vs Wazzu. I'm assuming USC is the tougher game until proven otherwise.

Rocker Ute
10-24-2013, 03:22 PM
...Said at Arizona he lost the ability to grip the football....

Last night at flag football our QB actually threw the ball with two hands (similar difficulty of gripping the ball). I hope that isn't his intention.

DrumNFeather
10-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Of Utah's remaining games, I feel like this is their second best chance to win (CU, USC, Wazzu, ASU, Oregon). I say this mostly because I'm concerned about our ability to consistently stop Wazzu's passing attack. To say that our secondary concerns me is an understatement.

1. Colorado
2. USC
3. WSU

4. ASU

5. Oregon

Great minds!

Rocker Ute
10-24-2013, 03:26 PM
Last night at flag football our QB actually threw the ball with two hands (similar difficulty of gripping the ball). I hope that isn't his intention.

I should probably clarify that it was my son's flag football team QB lest you think that I play on a team with a QB like that and I lose the respect of this fine message board.

Senioritis
10-24-2013, 03:28 PM
I should probably clarify that it was my son's flag football team QB lest you think that I play on a team with a QB like that and I lose the respect of this fine message board.

You refer to your son's flag football team as "we," if I understand you correctly?

LA Ute
10-24-2013, 03:30 PM
I vote for flop and flail.

I'm no football mind but it sure looks like DE likes to pound the line in the first series or two, even if that's not working. Then he opens thing up. It can be frustrating to watch, especially since the Utes have made a habit this season of allowing the opponent to score on its first possession.

Senioritis
10-24-2013, 03:35 PM
We're 0-2 vs USC and 2-0 vs Wazzu. I'm assuming USC is the tougher game until proven otherwise.

WSU is coached by a hardy swashbuckler.

USC is coached by Farmer Fran.

That should prove otherwise.

But beyond that, the reason to me is just schemes. Utah has, uh, trouble stopping the spread and the pass. WSU does both of those better than USC.

I'm sure USC looks better in their uniforms, and they would win in some sort of skills competition. They are also still pretty freaking good. But I don't know how they can be expected to beat with just 40 healthy 5 star athletes. We're totally getting them while they are down.

sancho
10-24-2013, 03:45 PM
I'm no football mind but it sure looks like DE likes to pound the line in the first series or two, even if that's not working. Then he opens thing up. It can be frustrating to watch, especially since the Utes have made a habit this season of allowing the opponent to score on its first possession.

That's my key to the game. A 3-and-out for USC on their first possession equals a win for Utah. A TD on their first possession equals a loss. Anything in between, and it's still up in the air.

LA Ute
10-24-2013, 10:18 PM
Nice video profile of Kilani Sitake:

http://vimeo.com/77606690

U-Ute
10-25-2013, 09:43 AM

We came out throwing at the edges against Stanford. DE didn't mess around up the middle at the start, but instead attacked the edges first to open up the middle. It makes sense since I believe that Stanford, like us, is structured to stuff the run up the middle first, and defend out from there.

Whatever DE thinks USC's weakness is, I think he needs to come out and hit it right away. No messing around with setting things up for later. USC has a lot of problems right now and the press has been helpful in publicly pointing them out. I think if we can get into their heads early, they may fold. There must be a bunch of guys day dreaming about their NFL careers right about now.

Hot Lunch
10-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Twitter is saying that both Morgan Breslin and Marquis Lee are ruled out for tomorrow. Those are both huge loses. I knew Lee was questionable but I had no idea that Breslin was injured.

GarthUte
10-25-2013, 03:28 PM
Hot Lunch -

I'm relying on your expertise for an answer. What are your keys to the game tomorrow? What do the Utes need to do to get the win?

Jarid in Cedar
10-25-2013, 04:37 PM
I am not HL, but here are my keys:

On Defense:

1. Blitz, Blitz, Blitz: With their losses at the receiver position, our CB's should be able to lock down the outside. Blitzing will help against the running game as well. I think you will see SC try to use their running backs in the passing game to offset the loss of their tight ends.
2. Rowe needs to have a game. With no worries of a tight end in the middle of the field, he needs to range from side to side to help the CB's. I have been waiting for him to break out this year, and this needs to be the game.
3. Norris and Whittingham need to tackle well in space. They are the keys to controlling Madden and Redd
4. Reilly and Orchard need a repeat performance from the Stanford game. That was the most complete game Orchard has played all season. We need his A game tomorrow.

On Offense:

1. How healthy is Wilson? IF he is 90% I feel good about the offense overall. The lack of Breslan is a big deal for keeping TW upright.
2. Get to the second level. The OL needs to open some creases for our RB's to get to the second level. If we can get 4-5 yards per run in the middle of the line, we will wear them out
3. Too bad we don't have a Tight end. The middle of the field is going to be open in the passing game. Who can fill that void? I would have said Denham, but no one knows his status right now.
4. protect Wilson. IMO, SC's only chance is if they can disrupt the passing game with pressure. As the game wears on, if they are not getting to Travis, we will wear them out.
5. Attack the edges. Keep SC's Ends honest. Make them hesitate a split second before coming up field.
6. QUick hitting passes. Both the stretch the defense, but also to wear out their pass rush.

Devildog
10-25-2013, 07:47 PM
I am not HL, but here are my keys:

Solid analysis as usual.

I don't know if I believe we are going to win this one right now, but I am confident that if we play up to our team's abilities we will have a decent chance at getting this one.

I don't discount all the talent USC has, this Trojan team is still loaded.

Hot Lunch
10-25-2013, 08:24 PM
Hot Lunch -

I'm relying on your expertise for an answer. What are your keys to the game tomorrow? What do the Utes need to do to get the win?

I have to agree with a lot of what Jarid said.

1. Make Kessler beat us with his arm. Tre Madden is questionable with a hamstring, Justin Davis their 2nd leading rusher is out for the year, their top 3 tight ends will not be playing and it appears that they may be using 4 walkons at wide out. Shut down the run and bring as much pressure as we can against Kessler. I haven't been impressed by Kessler with his top wideouts playing, Utah needs to get to him early and often.

2. With the pressure, we have to see turnovers. Hopefully in the form of interceptions. Something we haven't seen enough of this year.

3. DB's have to be able to play man defense. If we can't shut down a couple of walkons, then we are in trouble over the next couple of weeks.

4. Poutasi needs to significantly improve. Morgan Breslin is out, he is their best pass rusher, Deveon Kenard is good as well and Poutasi has to be able to protect Travis's blind side better in weeks past. IMO he has had the biggest impact in all of Utah's losses.

5. Expose USC's linebackers. They also lost one of the starting LB's on Tuesday during practice. They are very thin upfront. We need to be able to run the ball between the tackles. Poole and York need to be able to run between the tackles.

6. Travis has to be smart with the football. I get that his hand was hurt vs. Arizona but his pick 6 was unacceptable. He can be great but has a tendency to make some bonehead decisions and they have killed us.

UBlender
10-25-2013, 10:01 PM
Solid analysis as usual.

I don't know if I believe we are going to win this one right now, but I am confident that if we play up to our team's abilities we will have a decent chance at getting this one.

I don't discount all the talent USC has, this Trojan team is still loaded.

Yep, every time I hear about USC's injuries I remind myself that even if they are down to 50 scholarship players (and I've heard various numbers thrown out) that is 50 4- and 5-star recruits that Utah would have killed for. Make no mistake, we have a shot here but USC is still loaded. If we win, we will have to earn it.

GarthUte
10-26-2013, 11:24 AM
JiC, HL, thanks for the posts. As Devildog pointed out, that's some solid analysis.

I'm thinking that a good way to expose the LB's is to use the same plan as the Stanford game - throw that little swing pass/bubble screen to stretch the defense out then run between the tackles. Utah seems to have the personnel for that kind of offense this year rather than pound the ball up the middle in order to stretch the field horizontally.

I would like to see the defense blitz the hell out of USC today. With so many unproven receivers that have to play for the Trojans, I believe a good strategy would be to stack the box and force USC to have to beat Utah in the air. That may have been their plan anyway, but bringing the heat often gives Utah the numbers advantage, as there won't be enough blockers to protect the QB.

U-Ute
10-26-2013, 12:53 PM
“@espn700bill: Travis Wilson warming up on the field. Throwing well. No glove. #Utes”

DrumNFeather
10-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Good opening drive, but man Potassi (sp?) Was a turnstile on that 3rd down.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Mormon Red Death
10-26-2013, 02:15 PM
Did utah receive the kick or did we hold them once?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

DrumNFeather
10-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Did utah receive the kick or did we hold them once?

We received.

DrumNFeather
10-26-2013, 02:20 PM
Very nice three and out. Offense needs to keep pushing.

DrumNFeather
10-26-2013, 02:36 PM
No pass protection right now, leads to a pick, #13 for Travis.

DrumNFeather
10-26-2013, 02:45 PM
We've now had two guys get the ball ripped from them on the bottom of the pile.

Hot Lunch
10-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Poutasi needs to be replaced.

mpfunk
10-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Get Wilson out of the game. We can't keep having these turnovers.

DrumNFeather
10-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Defense is having a very solid first half. Offense has got to help them out.

Hot Lunch
10-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Our o line is just getting owned.

DrumNFeather
10-26-2013, 03:05 PM
Do you leave points on the field this early on the road?

mpfunk
10-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Do you leave points on the field this early on the road?

Don't get that call at all. Now the defense is giving up.

mpfunk
10-26-2013, 03:19 PM
Get Wilson out of the fucking game.

OrangeUte
10-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Turned it on just in time to see Wilson throw that pick. Brutal.

OrangeUte
10-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Great sack! Defense playing well it looks like.

DrumNFeather
10-26-2013, 03:21 PM
He's still not right. They must not have any faith in John Hayes 2.0 as the backup.

OrangeUte
10-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Terrible lack of tackling on that play.

mpfunk
10-26-2013, 03:28 PM
He's still not right. They must not have any faith in John Hayes 2.0 as the backup.

Just another example of the absolute failure of the coaching staff with recruiting QBs.

Utes are lucky to only be down 10.

mpfunk
10-26-2013, 03:31 PM
What in the ever loving hell is wrong with our coaching staff.

I guess our luck to be down only 10 is now out.

Utah
10-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Halftime thoughts:

1 - Dan Finn should be gone. The OL sucks donkey balls and is bullshit.

2 - Whoever decided to put Schultz in is a fucking moron.

That is all.

U-Ute
10-26-2013, 03:34 PM
What a Charlie Foxtrot..

Some soul searching needs to happen at the half.

DrumNFeather
10-26-2013, 03:37 PM
After SC scored I texted UD and said "23 seconds, time for another pick. "

DrumNFeather
10-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Question of the day...will we see Alex Smith vs. SDSU in the second half with Cox or Manning?

mpfunk
10-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Halftime thoughts:

1 - Dan Finn should be gone. The OL sucks donkey balls and is bullshit.

2 - Whoever decided to put Schultz in is a fucking moron.

That is all.

Right now, it makes sense to put Schultz in but wait until the 2nd half. No reason to throw in that situation.

OrangeUte
10-26-2013, 04:00 PM
Our pass defense is horrible on this drive.

OrangeUte
10-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Good second effort by whittingham to make the tackle there in 15.

OrangeUte
10-26-2013, 04:04 PM
Held the Trojans to 3 but they milked 5 minutes off the clock.

mpfunk
10-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Wilson back in. 2 bad throws.

mpfunk
10-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Defense has given up. This is going to be a bad loss.

OrangeUte
10-26-2013, 04:16 PM
No turnovers and we will be toast. They are chewing the clock and making 1st downs and we won't have much time unless we get a momentum changer here soon.

mpfunk
10-26-2013, 04:22 PM
We are still feeling the effects of the awful QB recruiting since Whittingham was hired.

Mormon Red Death
10-26-2013, 04:26 PM
I know it feels like we're down a hundred but we are only down two scores

mpfunk
10-26-2013, 04:27 PM
I would love to be excited about the return, but not getting in the endzone on it means no points.

OrangeUte
10-26-2013, 04:31 PM
I know it feels like we're down a hundred but we are only down two scores

Need to score. USC was smart and just drained the clock that 3rd quarter. Norris set us up nicely.

We need to get better communication to call the plays in. With the amount of time Wilson and now Schultz spend looking to the sideline before lining up, we may as well be in a huddle.

DrumNFeather
10-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Last week outside of the flea flicker they shut the offense down for the most part. Can't afford to do that here, so let's see some tempo and some throws down field.

mpfunk
10-26-2013, 04:33 PM
That FG that we didn't kick, would sure be nice right now.

DrumNFeather
10-26-2013, 04:36 PM
So much for automatic Andy.

U-Ute
10-26-2013, 04:37 PM
How quickly we went from "full steam ahead" to "WTF..?"

OrangeUte
10-26-2013, 04:47 PM
Saved from anymore of this by a stake baptism. Adios.

Mormon Red Death
10-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Game over

DrumNFeather
10-26-2013, 05:01 PM
Lots for Kyle to work on during the bye.

Mormon Red Death
10-26-2013, 05:01 PM
Why punt?

LA Ute
10-26-2013, 07:25 PM
I think the O-line was the real problem in this game. We simply don't have the athletes there that we need. I don't know whom or what to blame, and I suppose there is more than one reason.

For example, we have a natural guard, Poutasi, playing left tackle and he must be the best we have, otherwise someone else would be in that spot. He's slow and he gets owned every week by quicker defenders. He got owned today.

It seems to me that Wilson's health problems are directly attributable to our offensive line's inability to protect him. We completed 7of 20 passes today. Think about that. How many pass attempts do you recall that were made after Travis had 3-4 seconds to find a receiver (as the USC QB did on his completions)? Anyway, we need to fix that and we will struggle until we do. It won't happen this season. I just hope we get to six wins, and that the Oregon and ASU games are not too ugly.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the defense did a great job today -- certainly good enough to win. USC had something like 35 yards rushing today. Without the Ute D USC would have scored somewhere in the 30s after our QBs' turnovers gave them short fields time after time.

I'm trying to recall a more pathetic offensive performance since UNLV in 2007. I can't.

GarthUte
10-26-2013, 07:32 PM
Awful.

USS Utah
10-27-2013, 04:46 PM
While the USC offense has been struggling this year, the Trojan defense was showing itself to be one of the best in the league. Despite injuries, this was still a very good USC defense. Maybe it would have been different with the healthy QB, but Wilson isn't healthy right now.

Jarid in Cedar
10-27-2013, 05:20 PM
On Defense:

1. Blitz, Blitz, Blitz: With their losses at the receiver position, our CB's should be able to lock down the outside. Blitzing will help against the running game as well. I think you will see SC try to use their running backs in the passing game to offset the loss of their tight ends.
2. Rowe needs to have a game. With no worries of a tight end in the middle of the field, he needs to range from side to side to help the CB's. I have been waiting for him to break out this year, and this needs to be the game.
3. Norris and Whittingham need to tackle well in space. They are the keys to controlling Madden and Redd
4. Reilly and Orchard need a repeat performance from the Stanford game. That was the most complete game Orchard has played all season. We need his A game tomorrow.

I don't have much to say about the defense. They played a solid game, holding USC to the lowest run production of the season. USC only had one drive that wasn't set up by turnovers, and that was the FG out of halftime. Aghlor is a weapon and he was the only player on their offense who really got off. I think that Rowe takes as much blame for that as the CB. We should have bracketed him, and for the first time all year, it may have been worth having McGill chase him from side to side. We are at a point that we need to place McGill on the other teams best receiver and fill in the other coverage as that dictates. Esp against Strong(ASU) who is as big and physical of a receiver that we will see all season.

We need to put out an APB for the Rowe that was Freshman All-American. That dude has been AWOL for two seasons now.

Reilly had a monster game, while Nate was pretty quiet. Nate needs to get some consistency, that is all he is lacking at this point.

On Offense:

1. How healthy is Wilson? IF he is 90% I feel good about the offense overall. The lack of Breslan is a big deal for keeping TW upright.
2. Get to the second level. The OL needs to open some creases for our RB's to get to the second level. If we can get 4-5 yards per run in the middle of the line, we will wear them out
3. Too bad we don't have a Tight end. The middle of the field is going to be open in the passing game. Who can fill that void? I would have said Denham, but no one knows his status right now.
4. protect Wilson. IMO, SC's only chance is if they can disrupt the passing game with pressure. As the game wears on, if they are not getting to Travis, we will wear them out.
5. Attack the edges. Keep SC's Ends honest. Make them hesitate a split second before coming up field.
6. QUick hitting passes. Both the stretch the defense, but also to wear out their pass rush.

1. Wilson is not healthy, and it is on the coaches for not holding him back and letting him get healthy. It is evident that he hasn't been able to hold and throw the ball effectively since the second half against stanford. He probably shouldn't have played against UofA, and definitely shouldn't have played yesterday. His hand needs 3-4 weeks to get fully healthy, and if they had bit the bullet, started Schulz yesterday, he would have had 3 weeks to heal. Instead, we threw him out to the wolves, shook his confidence, didn't adequately prepare Schulz. The other thing would be that now with 4 weeks left, it is more difficult to lift Manning's redshirt, whereas, if Schulz starts against Arizona(with a full week of prep and Manning getting the 2nd team reps), and he struggles, it makes the decision to start Manning until Wilson is healthy easier.

2. We really miss Murphy and Tonga. They made safeties respect the center of the field, which opens the slant pattern for Dres, et al. Also, the mere presence of the TE alters the rush of the DE. If the DE goes under the TE, then it allows the tackle to get engaged with him on the LOS. If he rushes wide of the TE, then he is 2 steps further away, and the Tackle gets additional time to get out in protection. Poutasi is a decent pass protector when he is able to directly engage the rusher, or gets additional time to get wide. We have not had a TE in formation since BYU, and the sack numbers show it. USU-3 sacks, WSU-0 sacks, OSU-0 sacks, BYU-1 sack then UCLA-3 sacks, Stanford-1 Sack, UofA-3 sacks, USC-6 sacks. So that would be 4 before, and 13 since. People have suggested using a back to chip, but that doesn't change the angle that the DE is getting around the shorter line.

Jarid in Cedar
10-27-2013, 05:29 PM
The other thing that I would add is that our 4th down decisions the last 2 games have been troubling.

1. I am never a fan of bypassing 3 points early in a game, especially in a game that is only 10-3, especially in a game that your defense is doing well, and especially running a fly sweep when you need 1 foot. If you kick the FG here(assuming that it is made), then you don't try a FG in the 4th. It would have been 19-6, and you only need 2 scores(without depending on getting 2 two point conversions). Mike Reilly made the same error last night against Stanford(going for it on 4th down in the red zone early in a game). I don't know why smart guys let the emotional decision outweigh the rational one.

LA Ute
10-27-2013, 05:42 PM
In a hopeful pregame moment prior to leaving for the Coliseum my daughter had me take this photo. She made the shirt herself:

arizonaute
10-27-2013, 11:04 PM
one plus for the game--I got to sit one seat away from LA for the first few minutes of the game. He then moved around like a seat warmer at the oscars. So I have that going for me.

sancho
10-27-2013, 11:13 PM
The other thing that I would add is that our 4th down decisions the last 2 games have been troubling.

1. I am never a fan of bypassing 3 points early in a game, especially in a game that is only 10-3, especially in a game that your defense is doing well, and especially running a fly sweep when you need 1 foot. If you kick the FG here(assuming that it is made), then you don't try a FG in the 4th. It would have been 19-6, and you only need 2 scores(without depending on getting 2 two point conversions). Mike Reilly made the same error last night against Stanford(going for it on 4th down in the red zone early in a game). I don't know why smart guys let the emotional decision outweigh the rational one.

I have no problem with going for it on 4th and 1. We have been pretty good in that situation this year. You don't win friends with salad, and you don't win games with field goals. It's not an emotional decision to go for it. It's a rational decision.

In a game that is expected to be a low scoring, defensive struggle, a touchdown is even more valuable. When you get close, you have to get it in the end zone.

DrumNFeather
10-28-2013, 06:16 AM
I have no problem with going for it on 4th and 1. We have been pretty good in that situation this year. You don't win friends with salad, and you don't win games with field goals. It's not an emotional decision to go for it. It's a rational decision.

In a game that is expected to be a low scoring, defensive struggle, a touchdown is even more valuable. When you get close, you have to get it in the end zone.

I can agree with this to a point. If you're going to go for it on 4th and 1 with a 6'8 QB, I see very little benefit in lining up 4-5 yards away from the 1 yard you need. What would be wrong with just lining up in a power formation there and having Wilson sneak it? Seems like the likelihood of getting it would increase at least a little bit.

U-Ute
10-28-2013, 10:33 AM
One bright spot in that debacle: Trevor Reilly is a manlier man than the Dr. Pepper Man.

He is absolutely crushing fools.

SoCalPat
10-28-2013, 11:41 AM

Forget the final score. If Kyle knew with 100 percent certainty that USC wouldn't reach the end zone the rest of the way, he kicks the field goal.

It's early enough in the game where this decision will not affect the outcome of the game. At the same time, you gotta wonder if Kyle knows something about Phillips that we don't -- like an injury. Three of last four FGA have been misses, all from makeable distances.

concerned
10-28-2013, 11:46 AM
Forget the final score. If Kyle knew with 100 percent certainty that USC wouldn't reach the end zone the rest of the way, he kicks the field goal.

It's early enough in the game where this decision will not affect the outcome of the game. At the same time, you gotta wonder if Kyle knows something about Phillips that we don't -- like an injury. Three of last four FGA have been misses, all from makeable distances.

And even the first one he made, he hooked left too. From our seats, I thought he had missed it. Every miss has been a hook left (eccept maybe the second half miss at USC; couldnt tell the angle from our seats.).

SoCalPat
10-28-2013, 11:49 AM
1. Wilson is not healthy, and it is on the coaches for not holding him back and letting him get healthy.

I would throw the team doctors onto the blame bus as well. This isn't our fourth WR or dime back we're talking about here, it's our starting QB. What are they telling Kyle? The truth, or what Kyle wants to hear? It happened with Wynn, it happened with Brian and now Travis. There are some serious credibility issues with at least one side here.

NorthwestUteFan
10-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Kyle seems to enjoy surrounding himself with Yes men. Perhaps the docs are the same?

Diehard Ute
10-28-2013, 02:50 PM
Kyle seems to enjoy surrounding himself with Yes men. Perhaps the docs are the same?

Knowing Petron and Brooks, neither is a yes man.

But the reality is medical reports in sports revolve around will playing cause further damage

Doctors can tell coaches and players they should consider taking time off all the time, but if it's not going to further injure the athlete to play, they can't stop the player from playing.

UBlender
10-28-2013, 03:48 PM
Have we considered the possibility that Wilson's hand was relatively healed (maybe at least 80-90%) and he was physically capable of performing, but between fear of reinjuring the finger and lack of confidence in his OL and WRs he simply didn't execute like normal and played an awful game?

I keep reading all this conspiratorial speculation along the lines of how no reasonable doctor would have approved of him playing and I just don't know....

LA Ute
10-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Have we considered the possibility that Wilson's hand was relatively healed (maybe at least 80-90%) and he was physically capable of performing, but between fear of reinjuring the finger and lack of confidence in his OL and WRs he simply didn't execute like normal and played an awful game?

I keep reading all this conspiratorial speculation along the lines of how no reasonable doctor would have approved of him playing and I just don't know....

Occam's Razor supports your view.

Mormon Red Death
10-28-2013, 05:37 PM

And the 1 he made bounced off the goal post in

Mormon Red Death
10-28-2013, 05:39 PM

Tmq's axiom "kick early go for it late"