PDA

View Full Version : My son the QB (with pics)

tooblue
10-24-2013, 05:31 PM
My thirteen year old is the starting QB on the Junior team in High school (grades 9 and 10). The school age cut off is the beginning of the year. My son is a young 9th grader (he turns 14 next week). His team is terrible. Most of the kids have never played football before. They hit hard like they are playing hockey but they are surprised it doesn't knock opposing runners down ... as happens on the ice. My son has played three seasons of club/house league football (I coach—we win a lot). But at the high school level I can only volunteer if there are no teachers who want to coach. The teachers/coaches are enthusiastic and really good to the boys even if they don't know what they are doing (at least the junior team. The senior team coaches are quite good at optimizing their limited talent and regularly win games.)

Well, today in the sleet and cold my son's team won their first game—the last game of the season. By the middle of the second quarter they were losing 0 - 20. Shortly before the half, two plays after their defence intercepted a pass, my son ran a speed option to the right. He forced the d-end to commit, then pitched the ball to the running back at the right moment who then scampered 60 yards for the TD. 7 - 20.

After half time, the defence stepped up and played their best game of the season. In the third quarter my son threw a TD pass to the running back out of the back field on an up-and-out for a 30 yard score. 13 - 20. Several minutes later after another defensive stop my son threw the same pass to the same running back who again scored on a 50 yard pass play. After the missed extra point it was 20 - 20.

Early in the fourth quarter, the opposing team turned it over on downs deep in my son's team's territory. My son then engineered a 70 yard drive capped off by a QB sneak from the 5 yard line. My boy buried his shoulder into the linebacker and carried him into the end zone for the go ahead and his first running touch down of the season! 26 - 20.

With three minutes left in the game, they kicked off. The opposing offense marched down the field to the 8 yard line. On the last play of the game the opposing team QB ran a bootleg and was stopped at the 2 yard line to seal the victory! Whoo hooo ... Go Red Hawks! Below are some pics from a game earlier in the season ...

Dropping back to pass:

Running the option:

Quick pitch left:

OrangeUte
10-24-2013, 06:33 PM
TB, these pictures are awesome, and I enjoyed the scoring summary! That is great for these kids to go out with a win on the last game. Being on losing teams is hard, but obviously these kids wanted it. Sweet stuff! I dig the red yellow and black unis as well.

UBlender
10-24-2013, 08:05 PM
I'm not impressed until I know how many households the game was available in. (Sorry, I had to).

tooblue
10-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Here's a pick of the team warming up before the game today. It was cold, rainy with sleet at one point. They started the season with 28 boys on the team. Today only 19 kids showed up. Yes, the goal posts are on the goal line. Twelve man football on a bigger field but at the junior level they get four downs. At the senior level they get three.

Two Utes
10-25-2013, 09:29 AM
I'm not impressed until I know how many households the game was available in. (Sorry, I had to).

He deserved that one.

Two Utes
10-25-2013, 09:30 AM
[QUOTE=tooblue;24185]Here's a pick of the team warming up before the game today. It was cold, rainy with sleet at one point. They started the season with 28 boys on the team. Today only 19 kids showed up. Yes, the goal posts are on the goal line. Twelve man football on a bigger field but at the junior level they get four downs. At the senior level they get three.

907[/QUO

My team would tear people up on that wide field with our power sweep. You could run to Idaho as wide as that field is.

tooblue
10-31-2013, 06:22 PM
A final update. Not every school in the region has a football team. So, at the end of the season every team makes the playoffs. They tier the teams. The best teams are placed in a tier one division. The winner of the tier one regional championship goes on to play in the Metro Bowl against other tier one region champions in the greater area. Three of the past four years the metro bowl champions (like state champions) have come from our region.

The weaker teams in each respective region are put in a tier two division. They have a playoff for each regional championship only. My son's team was obviously placed in tier two and played in the play-in game today. As fate would have it they faced the same team on the same field they played last week. Unfortunately, they lost: 1 - 20. His team was missing their best running back due to a hockey injury earlier in the week. Another key 10th grader got a migraine in the first quarter. And yet another key 10th grader was too sick to put on the pads.

My son started both ways at QB and corner for the first time this season. He is also the punter. He played every down except one. He was rocked by the safety on a QB sneak and had the breath knocked out of him. He threw the ball well today (see the pics below) and he forced a fumble with a monster hit on an opposing receiver after a catch in the flat. He also had a great day kicking the ball. His first punt went nearly 60 yards! He had two others that were between 40 and 50 yards. He is battered and bruised but happy.

How did his team score 1 point you ask? They scored a rouge: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006030709873

Here are the pics of their "Alabama" pass play (a skinny post to the wide receiver) they completed at least 3 times today: