PDA

View Full Version : Ken Pomeroy preseason ratings are out.....

UtahsMrSports
10-28-2013, 10:53 AM
First of all, I have to say that I prefer the KenPom.com ratings to any poll or RPI list. If you haven't visited his site, I like it (not a subscriber, but its fun to follow his list)

We are ranked 150th. Here are some quick facts:

-We started last year ranked 308 (out of ~350 teams)
-We ended last year at 110
-We are the fourth ranked team in the state (BYU-48, Utah St.-78, Weber St.-94)

Our preseason opponents:

UC-Davis 231
Grand Canyon 294
Lamar 341
Savannah St. 282
Ball St. 250
Boise 42
Fresno 127
Idaho St. 300
BYU 48
Texas St. 236

Pac-12 rankings:

Arizona 23
UCLA 27
Stan 29
Cal 36
Colorado 39
Washington 50
Arizona St. 54
Oregon 56
Oregon St. 73
Wazzu 103
USC 113

Scratch
10-28-2013, 11:06 AM
I'd be curious to know what this is based on. He clearly doesn't think that we have enough in our new blood coming in and guys already in the program to step up and replace DuBois and Washburn.

sancho
10-28-2013, 11:14 AM
I'd be curious to know what this is based on. He clearly doesn't think that we have enough in our new blood coming in and guys already in the program to step up and replace DuBois and Washburn.

On his site, he says it is primarily based on results for the program over the past 5 years. He adds a little for top recruits and subtracts some for departing players. In other words, it's arbitrary at this point.

Scratch
10-28-2013, 11:28 AM
On his site, he says it is primarily based on results for the program over the past 5 years. He adds a little for top recruits and subtracts some for departing players. In other words, it's arbitrary at this point.

That explains it. We've sucked for 5 years, are losing some solid players, and probably don't have any recruits who quite ring the bell as a top recruit.

SoCalPat
10-28-2013, 11:32 AM

He should know a little more about Utah than he does most teams, seeing Pomeroy lives in SLC.

Still, if we end up two-thirds better than the rest of D-1 like we did last year in his rankings, that should be good for a final ranking that threatens the top 50.

UtahsMrSports
10-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Last year, our rise in the rankings was very rapid at first. and we continued going throughout.

The thing I like about this is that you don't go up just by winning (after losing to BYU on the road by 3, we moved up about 15 spots and they slid down 10)

So, to move up, we have to win and big. Because after all, the most important thing in college basketball is moving up the ken pom rankings. :)