PDA

View Full Version : Week 11 open thread

sancho
11-04-2013, 07:09 AM
ESPN power ranking

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/64726/pac-12-power-rankings-week-10-3

9. Utah: This is Utah's BIG weekend. The Utes had a week off to get healthy (Travis Wilson (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/531051/travis-wilson)'s throwing hand!), refocus and game plan for surging Arizona State. The MUSS also should be well-rested and properly annoyed so as to make Arizona State, traditionally a bad team on the road, uncomfortable. A win would be transformative for bowl possibilities, as well as Pac-12 prestige.

sancho
11-04-2013, 07:13 AM
Pac-12 schedule:

Oregon @ Stanford (game of the year - Thursday night)
USC @ Cal
ASU @ Utah (sweet revenge for Utes, crushing ASU's division hopes)
CU @ UW
UCLA @ Arizona

OSU, WSU on bye

sancho
11-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Big week for BCS hopefuls with Oregon, Baylor, and Bama all facing their toughest games of the year.

sancho
11-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Here we go! Two big games to watch tonight (and an NFL sideshow with fantasy implications for me), college basketball all over the place tomorrow, and Utah football plus a big SEC game on Sat, some good NFL matchups on Sunday, and finally, the worst MNF game of the season.

We're never gonna get to that movie my wife picked up at the library.

Jarid in Cedar
11-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Here we go! Two big games to watch tonight (and an NFL sideshow with fantasy implications for me), college basketball all over the place tomorrow, and Utah football plus a big SEC game on Sat, some good NFL matchups on Sunday, and finally, the worst MNF game of the season.

She understands that it is football season, correct?

Applejack
11-07-2013, 01:11 PM

You should start a "latest movie my wife picked up at the library" thread. I would be a heavy contributor.

SoCalPat
11-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Wow. If Stanford goes on to win this game, that strip and recovery of DAT by Skov on the 1-yard line is the defensive play of the year in college football.

sancho
11-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Wow. If Stanford goes on to win this game, that strip and recovery of DAT by Skov on the 1-yard line is the defensive play of the year in college football.

I don't like this at all. Our slim chances of beating Oregon go down to no chance if they are at home coming off a loss.

OrangeUte
11-07-2013, 08:50 PM
Wow. Stanford playing tough D. Chewing up the clock was how they got back into the game against us.

Marriota and the duck O just can't get into any kind of rhythm.

OrangeUte
11-07-2013, 08:50 PM
Ducks aren't used to this kind of pressure.

OrangeUte
11-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Wow. Marriota w a big fumble caused by Stanford D. I hope he's not injured. This game should be over if Stanford scores here.

sancho
11-07-2013, 09:01 PM
I hope he's not injured.

I won't mind too much if he sits out a week.

OrangeUte
11-07-2013, 09:04 PM
I won't mind too much if he sits out a week.

Yeah - he needs some rest for the beaver game.

sancho
11-08-2013, 07:30 AM
Oregon should feel ashamed. Stanford manhandled them with the same run play all night. No strength at all out of their defensive line.

At a time when everyone is learning how to stop a spread by getting smaller and faster, Stanford and Wisconsin have success by staying big.

Utah doesn't have many strengths this year, but we can stop that type of offense. Whittingham would rather lose his right arm than give up so many yards to such a pedestrian RB. We will be a matchup headache for Stanford and a matchup dream for Oregon and Arizona for as long as we Kyle and Kalani anchor the defense.

Jarid in Cedar
11-09-2013, 10:59 PM
UCLA linebacker Myles Jack (true freshman) has 7 tackles, 1 fumble recovery and 7 Carries, 106 yds rushing with a touchdown. :blink:

hostile
11-09-2013, 11:04 PM
UCLA linebacker Myles Jack (true freshman) has 7 tackles, 1 fumble recovery and 7 Carries, 106 yds rushing with a touchdown. :blink:
My son noticed that. I told him it was a mistake, probably different players with the same number. It is tough to find out that dad is wrong (quite often).

sancho
11-09-2013, 11:36 PM

Mora played 4-5 defensive players on offense in that game. I love a coach who is not afraid to break pointless rules and conventions. So many coaches do things a certain way simply because that's how it's always been done.

sancho
11-10-2013, 08:08 AM
Thinking this morning about the defense's performance got me to thinking about defenses in the conference. What are the Pac-12 defense power rankings?

1) USC - I know ASU has better stats, but USC just seems to be all over the field (and backfield)

2) ASU - great pass rush, great run defense.

3) Stanford - maybe lacking quickness, makes up for it by being white-collar, elitist, mean SOBs. Would be #1 in an injure-the-opponent power ranking.

4) UCLA - Fast. Strong. Barr.

5) Utah - Sack the QB. Swarm to the ball. Give up occasional big runs.

6) Oregon - would be higher if not for completely embarrassing themselves vs the same Stanford run play over and over all night

7) UW - sure looked like they would be higher on this list at the start of the season

8) Arizona - I have nothing to say about Arizona's defense.

9) WSU - this high based on stopping USC and Auburn forever ago.

10) OSU - classic entertaining team with good offense and poor defense.

11) CU - to be honest, I can't name a player on this side

12) Cal - gives up more points than anyone

Did I get it right? The top 7 on this list are all good-to-great defenses nationwide. When was the last time the Pac-12 could say that? And why did this resurgence have to happen right as we transition to the conference?