PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Watch 2013

UBlender
11-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Here is a thread to look at Utah's possibilities and probabilities for this season.

Obviously Utah needs to get to six wins to be considered for a bowl game and that could be a challenge given the current trajectory of the team. Still, the PAC 12 looks poised to have more bowl eligible teams than bowl tie-ins so six wins won't guarantee anything.

The PAC 12 has seven official bowl tie-ins:

Rose
Alamo
Holiday
Sun
Vegas
Fight Hunger
New Mexico

The PAC 12 will also very likely get a second team in the BCS, either by virtue of Oregon making the championship game or just by taking one of the four at large BCS berths (possibly the Fiesta Bowl). The PAC 12 seems all but certain to have eight bowl tie-ins this season.

Currently, there are six bowl eligible teams in the PAC (OU, Stan, OSU, UCLA, ASU, UA).

Cal is the only team currently eliminated from bowl eligibility.

Washington and USC are both one win short but are very likely to get that remaining win. UW has CU, @UCLA, @OSU and WSU remaining. USC has @Cal, Stanford, @CU and UCLA remaining. So you can basically assume that, barring catastrophe, UW and USC will give the PAC 12 eight bowl eligible teams.

Utah and WSU both need two wins to get eligible. It is not guaranteed that either will get there. We know Utah's schedule. WSU has a bye this week, then @UA, Utah, @UW. WSU will probably be a small favorite over Utah at home but will be underdogs in their other two games. A likely scenario has Utah visiting Pullman with both teams at 4-6 and needing that game to stay alive for bowl eligibility. It is also very possible that neither team gets to six wins if WSU beats Utah but is unable to pull of a road win @UA or @UW.

CU is still alive at 3-5. They have @UW, Cal, USC and @Utah to close the season. They are unlikely to get to six wins, but if they could somehow pull an upset in Seattle this week they would have a punchers chance with their remaining schedule.

As mentioned, Cal is 1-8 and won't make a bowl game.

Most likely scenario is that OU, Stan, OSU, UCLA, ASU, UA, UW and USC will fill the PAC 12's (likely) eight bowl slots. Utah has the best shot at being a ninth eligible team.

Remember, teams with six wins cannot be selected for bowl games ahead of teams with 7+ wins. Of the eight expected bowl eligible teams, OSU is the only one who may stick at six wins. The Beavers are currently 6-3 but finish with @ASU, UW and @OU. They will be underdogs for both road games and the UW game in Corvallis will be a tough one to call. If Utah and OSU both finish 6-6 then I believe it is simply up to the discretion of the bowl (I don't believe there are any official tie-breakers). In this case it would be the New Mexico bowl and they may well favor Utah based on the fact that OSU would have finished on a five game losing streak, Utah's proximity to New Mexico and perhaps an interest in putting Utah up against an old MWC foe.

If Utah gets six wins but does not get selected for one of the PAC 12's bowl games there is still potential for an at large bid where another conference does not fill its bowl slots. In fact, ESPN has projected Utah to the Heart of Dallas Bowl on January 1st against a Conference USA opponent. The likelihood of Utah filling such a slot and who the other eligible teams in consideration for that position is something to watch, but I don't have the time or energy to try to figure it out right now.

At this point, I'll take any bowl game we can get our hands on.

sancho
11-06-2013, 03:29 PM
What's the pie-in-the-sky bowl for Utah if we win out and finish 8-4? Don't laugh! It could happen!

UBlender
11-06-2013, 04:26 PM
What's the pie-in-the-sky bowl for Utah if we win out and finish 8-4? Don't laugh! It could happen!

Yeesh, I spent 20 minutes of my lunch looking at the standings and remaining games to put that post together. Yet I am woefully ill-prepared to answer that question. Without researching it, I think the theoretical 8-4 would put us ahead of everyone except Oregon, Stanford and UCLA. Oregon and Stanford would be in the BCS, UCLA would be in the Alamo and that would leave Utah in the mix with ASU and maybe UW for Holiday and Sun (with the third team of the group going to Vegas). That's my best guess.

Book your hotel room in San Diego, Sanch.

sancho
11-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Book your hotel room in San Diego, Sanch.

Mmmmm, San Diego.

San Diego Ute Fan
11-06-2013, 08:53 PM
Mmmmm, San Diego.

I wholeheartedly approve of this thread!

OrangeUte
11-09-2013, 09:16 AM
Oregon' loss could shift everything in the PAC 12 down a notch leaving utah with only the hope of an at large unless they win 3 of their last 4. Today's game is potentially huge as it relates to bowl feasibility and not just eligibility.

NorthwestUteFan
11-09-2013, 10:30 AM
If Utah and OSU both end up 6-6, then OSU has to be favored because they won't need to count an FCS win in the total. Never mind that the Beavs won in SLC.

Utah
11-11-2013, 06:55 AM
Utah finishes with 6 wins. WSU's wins are USC (very respectable, but against Kiffin), Cal, Idaho St, and Southern Utah. They are living off that USC win.

Their losses are:
Auburn by 6
Stanford by 38
OSU by 28
Oregon by 24
ASU by 34

But they do get a bye before they play us. If we don't get six wins it's because Colorado beats us, which sounds silly, but that has been a tough game for us for some reason. Maybe it's the altitude. ;)

Applejack
11-11-2013, 07:11 AM
Utah finishes with 6 wins. WSU's wins are USC (very respectable, but against Kiffin), Cal, Idaho St, and Southern Utah. They are living off that USC win.

Their losses are:
Auburn by 6
Stanford by 38
OSU by 28
Oregon by 24
ASU by 34

But they do get a bye before they play us. If we don't get six wins it's because Colorado beats us, which sounds silly, but that has been a tough game for us for some reason. Maybe it's the altitude. ;)

That six point loss to Auburn looks pretty good right now.

sancho
11-11-2013, 08:30 AM
Utah finishes with 6 wins.

We will be favored in our last two games, but he problem with being a defensive team without a reliable offense is that it only takes 1-2 defensive miscues to put the team in a hole it can't get out of. That's how Wazzu beat USC. I could see us dropping one or both of those games just because we can't put enough points on the board.

Jarid in Cedar
11-11-2013, 08:33 AM
We will be favored in our last two games, but he problem with being a defensive team without a reliable offense is that it only takes 1-2 defensive miscues to put the team in a hole it can't get out of. That's how Wazzu beat USC. I could see us dropping one or both of those games just because we can't put enough points on the board.

Those are two teams that can help our offense healthy again. They are baaaaad on that side of the ball.

sancho
11-11-2013, 08:44 AM
Those are two teams that can help our offense healthy again. They are baaaaad on that side of the ball.

That's my hope as well. WSU was great medicine for our bad offense last year. CU has been very tough for us two years in a row, so I expect another close one.

Utah
11-13-2013, 08:13 AM
WSU's wins: Kiffin-Trojans, Southern Utah, Cal and Idaho St.

We should win that game. I'm more worried about the Colorado game. For some reason that altitude really affects us. :)

Applejack
11-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Can someone in the know tell me where we might be bowling this year? After we shock the Wasatch Front in the next two weeks, I want to start making travel plans. Any chance we end up east of the Mississippi? Does that Yankee bowl or whatever still exist in NYC?

sancho
11-18-2013, 09:30 AM
Can someone in the know tell me where we might be bowling this year? After we shock the Wasatch Front in the next two weeks, I want to start making travel plans. Any chance we end up east of the Mississippi? Does that Yankee bowl or whatever still exist in NYC?

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/65527/pac-12-bowl-projections-week-12-3

Rose Bowl Game presented by Vizio (Jan. 1, 2014): Oregon vs. Big Ten
Valero Alamo Bowl (Dec. 30): Stanford vs. Big 12
National University Holiday Bowl (Dec. 30): UCLA vs. Big 12
Hyundai Sun Bowl (Dec. 31): Arizona State vs. ACC
Las Vegas Bowl (Dec. 21): USC vs. MWC
Fight Hunger Bowl (Dec. 27): Oregon State vs. BYU
Gildan New Mexico Bowl (Dec. 21): Washington vs. MWC
Heart of Dallas Bowl (Jan. 1, 2014): Arizona vs. Conference USA
New Era Pinstripe Bowl (Dec. 28): Utah vs. American

Applejack
11-18-2013, 09:37 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/65527/pac-12-bowl-projections-week-12-3

Booyah! We are going to kill American University!

sancho
11-18-2013, 11:35 AM
SI's bowl projections. They are going with Wazzu over Utah:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20131118/college-football-bowl-projections/?eref=sihp

LA Ute
11-18-2013, 11:42 AM
SI's bowl projections. They are going with Wazzu over Utah:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20131118/college-football-bowl-projections/?eref=sihp

I would too, just based on the numbers and the injury report.