PDA

View Full Version : Latest movie my wife picked up at the library

sancho
11-07-2013, 01:25 PM
We are on the library system. We see all movies about 6-9 months after they are in the theater.

The summer blockbusters are coming in, and we have seen Oblivion, No You See Me, Star Trek, and World War Z in the past 4 weeks.

Last night was Iron Man 3. A quick review:

Good movie. Entertaining. Prefer a little more Iron Man in my Iron Man movies. Bad ending. No AC/DC.

Oh, and STOP RETIRING OUR SUPERHEROES at the end of the movie!!

Sullyute
11-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Call me old fashioned, but I have a hard time with modern music and hollywood videos in a library. I think that libraries should be for books.

cald22well
11-07-2013, 03:21 PM
Call me old fashioned, but I have a hard time with modern music and hollywood videos in a library. I think that libraries should be for books.

Why can't it be all inclusive? As long as the books are still available, does it really matter?

Sullyute
11-07-2013, 03:35 PM
Why can't it be all inclusive? As long as the books are still available, does it really matter?

If funds were unlimited then I would have no problem with it being all inclusive. But on limited budgets I would prefer that it be spent on books (paper or electronic) than music and movies. This is just my opinion and should in no way be construde as a swipe at sancho. If his library provides for it then take advantage. I would just prefer that libraries did not.

Applejack
11-07-2013, 03:47 PM
OK, SullyUte has really tried to dampen the gloriousness of this thread. But we are not accepting wet blankets in this thread.

My wife (actually, me) just picked up Harvard Beats Yale 29-29 at the 'brary. Did you know that Tommy Lee Jones was an o-lineman? This movie promises to outshine our last braryflik: Magic Mike. :blink:

Diehard Ute
11-07-2013, 04:05 PM
We are on the library system. We see all movies about 6-9 months after they are in the theater.

The summer blockbusters are coming in, and we have seen Oblivion, No You See Me, Star Trek, and World War Z in the past 4 weeks.

Good movie. Entertaining. Prefer a little more Iron Man in my Iron Man movies. Bad ending. No AC/DC.

You sure fell for the ending....

LA Ute
11-07-2013, 04:43 PM

What'd you think of World War Z? I found (to my surprise) that I liked it a lot. I had to go alone while my wife was out of town because she refused, and my daughter also said "no way."

Sullyute
11-07-2013, 04:48 PM
OK, SullyUte has really tried to dampen the gloriousness of this thread. But we are not accepting wet blankets in this thread.

:moon: Someone had to crap on fertilize this thread a little to get it going. Now watch this thing grow. Sancho can thank me later.

wuapinmon
11-07-2013, 05:01 PM

Old fashioned.

Librarians have to justify their existence. You get more traffic if you offer what people want. People check out movies as much as books, if not more. Movies pad the stats.

Many movies are also educational or artistic in nature. There's also the concept of comparing the film version to the print version (e.g. World War Z).

Applejack
11-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Old fashioned.

Librarians have to justify their existence. You get more traffic if you offer what people want. People check out movies as much as books, if not more. Movies pad the stats.

Many movies are also educational or artistic in nature. There's also the concept of comparing the film version to the print version (e.g. World War Z).

See my earlier post about Magic Mike.

Sullyute
11-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Good thing those zombies lost 50% of their speed and leaping ability at the end in the WHO center.

I assumed that was because they were proper English zombies instead of those American wanker zombies.

Sullyute
11-07-2013, 06:27 PM
So how does that disease spread from one continent to another anyway? The infection is instantaneous. If a zombie gets on a plane, that plane is not going to make it across to the other continent safely, right? Everyone is probably dead before takeoff.

First, you are assuming that the living dead cannot fly airplanes (that is a big assumption). Second, when they were in Korea they talked about how originally the virus took a a day or two to show signs, then it was a couple hours, and finally just a few seconds. So I think that the assumption is the virus spread across continents before it became an instant kiss of death.

LA Ute
11-07-2013, 06:30 PM
So how does that disease spread from one continent to another anyway? The infection is instantaneous. If a zombie gets on a plane, that plane is not going to make it across to the other continent safely, right? Everyone is probably dead before takeoff.

That will be explained in World War ZZ.

wuapinmon
11-07-2013, 06:54 PM

Well, in the film, they show how a zombie comes up an elevator from the baggage stowage into the cabin and it spreads on a plane.

LA Ute
11-07-2013, 09:56 PM
They weren't real zombies anyway. They just had zombie-like attributes.

LA Ute
11-09-2013, 07:48 AM
Bad omens all over the place this week. Stanford beating Oregon was the worst of them. I started to doubt in the Ute's chances today. I needed something to give me some optimism back.

After the Utah "game" last night, we watched library movie The Way, Way Back. Good movie. Not Iron Man 3 good, no explosions, but (spoiler alert) it had the guy from Iron Man 2 in it, and that guy was great. And he dances again, just like in Iron Man 2. A movie about people in sad situations who manage to find some hope.

So I now enter game day with a good feeling. Thanks library and guy from Iron Man 2.

That is a great movie, as I noted here:

http://www.utahby5.com/showthread.php?275-quot-The-Last-Movie-You-Saw-quot-thread&p=16932&viewfull=1#post16932

No one ever pays attention to my movie reviews. Anyway, sancho's right.

wuapinmon
11-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Just saw Kon-Tiki. Best adventure/anthropology/balsa wood raft movie of the summer. Question: would Thor Heyerdahl have become as famous with a different name? Answer: No, Thor Heyerdahl is the Max Power of Norwegian names.

That reminds me of the fame of this baseball player: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/armstja01.shtml

I remember people just gushing over him, calling him, "The All-American Kid" or something along those lines. He did win one World Series, but he only had one winning season ever.

Mormon Red Death
11-13-2013, 09:11 PM
That reminds me of the fame of this baseball player: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/armstja01.shtml

I remember people just gushing over him, calling him, "The All-American Kid" or something along those lines. He did win one World Series, but he only had one winning season ever.

Jack Armstrong the all American was a radio and book series he was also on the wheaties box.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Sullyute
12-18-2013, 11:37 AM
The last of the summer blockbusters are making it to the library:

Pacific Rim - forget everything else and just love the robots fighting monsters. Great movie.

Superman - No need to ever have Superman brood or to pretend that he would not be well received on earth. Otherwise, cool.

Paranoia - completely forgettable, except for Gary Oldman's accent. After an hour of confusion and fear, protagonist resolves the situation in 5 minutes once he realizes that he can go to the FBI.

The only one of the three I have seen is Superman. The first 30 minutes were great, and then it turned into a regular superman movie, which I found less than entertaining.

No spoiler alerts on the Paranoia ending?

Sullyute
12-18-2013, 12:21 PM
Also, if I see it before you do, you didn't really want to see it very badly.

:D Probably true.

Brian
12-18-2013, 12:35 PM
The last of the summer blockbusters are making it to the library:

Pacific Rim - forget everything else and just love the robots fighting monsters. Great movie.

Superman - No need to ever have Superman brood or to pretend that he would not be well received on earth. Otherwise, cool.

Paranoia - completely forgettable, except for Gary Oldman's accent. After an hour of confusion and fear, protagonist resolves the situation in 5 minutes once he realizes that he can go to the FBI.

I was horribly disappointed in Superman.
There was such an opportunity to flesh him out, show what it would be like for an alien with superpowers to try and grow up, adapt, and fit in. They showed glimpses of this, and I liked those, but it seemed they were just too rushed to getting to the scenes where there was punching and throwing people through walls. I seriously almost dozed off at that point. I had zero interest in the character.

Applejack
04-05-2014, 05:19 PM
My wife picked up Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy for the second time at the local 'brary. We didn't watch it the first time. I doubt we watch it this time either.

USS Utah
04-05-2014, 05:36 PM
My wife picked up Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy for the second time at the local 'brary. We didn't watch it the first time. I doubt we watch it this time either.

You should, though, it's a good movie.

LA Ute
04-05-2014, 06:39 PM
You should, though, it's a good movie.

It is. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had read the book.

Applejack
04-05-2014, 09:14 PM
It is. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had read the book.

I've heard it's hard to follow if you haven't read the book.

Brian
04-16-2014, 09:13 AM
It's Oscar time at the library. It's gonna be tough to convince me that Pacific Rim is not the best movie of the year, but I'll give the others a fair chance.

So far: Gravity, Captain Phillips, and Blue Jasmine. I liked them all. I've always hated Tom Hanks for turning traitor and leaving comedy to do Oscar stuff. I think he finally won me over with the last 20 minutes of Cap'n P.

that scene at the very end with the medical person is one of the most impressive things I've seen on camera. ever.

Brian
04-16-2014, 10:02 AM
No kidding. I've never acted before, but I think I could do Philadelphia, The Green Mile, Castaway, Saving Private Ryan, and maybe Forrest Gump. But not that. Not by a mile.

My daughter and I were both moved to tears in that scene. He pulled us in.
I heard on a podcast "Anatomy of a Movie", that the medical person was a real Navy medical person. Not an actor. And she was directed to just do what she does when treating the wounded.

That's exactly why he gets paid a ton of money to something very few can do.

Applejack
04-16-2014, 10:37 AM
My daughter and I were both moved to tears in that scene. He pulled us in.
I heard on a podcast "Anatomy of a Movie", that the medical person was a real Navy medical person. Not an actor. And she was directed to just do what she does when treating the wounded.

That's exactly why he gets paid a ton of money to something very few can do.

I also liked Cap. Phillips. A little intense for my wife, though.

We also just picked up Dallas Buyer's Club (at Redbox, not the 'brary. Sorry). It was pretty good, if a little too Hollywood. But Leto and my-boy-McConaughey were excellent.

Applejack
04-17-2014, 01:10 PM
JLaw is a one trick pony, I fear. She was the same person in Silver Linings Playbook and American Hustle.

Sullyute
04-17-2014, 01:23 PM
I don't get the Jennifer Lawrence thing. She better be very, very good in Silver Linings Playbook because she brings nothing in the movies I've seen her in (this and X-men).

JLaw is a one trick pony, I fear. She was the same person in Silver Linings Playbook and American Hustle.

I didn't like the Hunger Games either, but she is great in Winter's Bone. I haven't seen her in American Hustle but plan on it. I think she is a great actress. I would rather watch her act then Sandra Bullock, any day of the week.

Utah
04-17-2014, 03:49 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed Silver Linings. A ton. One of the few movies I've watched multiple times....

But, in full disclosure, it might be because that movie was filmed where we lived in Philly (you can see our house a couple of times and the hospital where my two boys were born), and it takes place during the time we lived there (I fully remember that Eagles/Cowboys game, and all the drama that led up to that game). So, I clearly have other reasons to watch that movie.

LA Ute
04-17-2014, 08:39 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed Silver Linings. A ton. One of the few movies I've watched multiple times....

But, in full disclosure, it might be because that movie was filmed where we lived in Philly (you can see our house a couple of times and the hospital where my two boys were born), and it takes place during the time we lived there (I fully remember that Eagles/Cowboys game, and all the drama that led up to that game). So, I clearly have other reasons to watch that movie.

It was another trick movie for guys to take their wives to -- a football movie disguised as a chick flick. Or maybe vice versa. Anyway, it works for both men and women.

Sullyute
04-17-2014, 09:06 PM
It was another trick movie for guys to take their wives to -- a football movie disguised as a chick flick. Or maybe vice versa. Anyway, it works for both men and women.

I agree. Both my wife and I really enjoyed it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Applejack
07-29-2014, 01:16 PM
Jan/Feb movies have hit the library. These are usually terrible, but Hollywood came strong this year:

Power Ranking:

1) Shadow Recruit
2) Non Stop
3) Monuments Men
4) 3 Days to Kill - False advertising. This is a family movie, a father-daughter relationship movie-that was sold as a spy/action thing. Booo!

I haven't seen any of these, but I've heard Monuments Men is one of the unfunniest, bloated things Hollywood has done in a while. True?

LA Ute
07-29-2014, 01:40 PM
I haven't seen any of these, but I've heard Monuments Men is one of the unfunniest, bloated things Hollywood has done in a while. True?

The story is interesting (because it really happened and is interesting in its own right) but the movie is awful. I still sat through it because of its historicity, and I pretty much enjoyed it, but I had to overlook a lot. George Clooney directed, and the flick has all the marks of a director who had too much power and was allowed too many indulgences by the studio.

UBlender
07-29-2014, 01:49 PM

Just saw Monuments Men over the weekend and was very disappointed. It had such potential but couldn't decide if it was a light-hearted flick about the rag-tag bunch of misfits trying to make their way or a heavier piece where you really care about the characters. It tried to be both at various points but ended up being neither. There was a lot of dialogue that was supposed to be either funny or deep but completely missed the mark.

USS Utah
07-29-2014, 04:33 PM

I don't get all the hate. It did have some funny moments, and a few poignant moments. No, not a great movie, but certainly not awful.

LA Ute
07-29-2014, 04:39 PM
I don't get all the hate. It did have some funny moments, and a few poignant moments. No, not a great movie, but certainly not awful.

No hate here. I enjoyed it. But some people will lack the patience to sit through some of it.

Diehard Ute
07-29-2014, 04:45 PM

I think the way the movie was promoted led to a lot of that. It's one of those movies where they show all the good stuff in the preview and you're left wanting more when you watch the whole thing.

I certainly didn't hate it, but it was disappointing especially given the cast

NorthwestUteFan
07-30-2014, 06:48 PM
Walter Mitty. Not a January movie, but another example of critics being too harsh. Good movie. Feel good story with good scenery, a snow leopard, and a tiny bit of soccer.

I enjoyed Walter Mitty quite a lot. It was very enjoyable and my kids loved it too.

Sullyute
07-31-2014, 08:00 AM
I enjoyed Walter Mitty quite a lot. It was very enjoyable and my kids loved it too.

My older daughter liked it, but by two younger kids (8 & 6) got bored and fell asleep during the movie.

Sullyute
07-23-2015, 03:03 PM
Maleficent. I've always believed in the power of low expectations. It almost always works with movies. But this time, low as they were, my expectations were not low enough. This is the prequel nobody wanted, and it is not a good film.

But with this and the Dracula movie, I'm wondering what other classic movie villains should get the sympathetic prequel treatment. The power ranking:

1. Hans Gruber. We're all dying to see little Hans Gruber being neglected by his parents.
2. Megatron. He was bullied by the cool transformers when he was in high school.
3. Police Chief from the Police Academy movies. I'm sure there's a good, heartwarming reason he's so anti-Guttenberg.
4. Hans Landa. Another Hans? Come on. How lazy is this list?
5. Angel Eyes. Poor, misunderstood Angel Eyes.

That got a hardy LOL from me.

UBlender
07-23-2015, 04:13 PM
Interstellar arrived at the library. Two hours of great movie, 30 minutes of goofy sci-fi bailout ending. That's a pretty good ratio. Thumbs up.

Exodus - Gods and Kings. This was not as bad as people said. Anytime you get to see plagues and red sea partings, it's not a complete loss. The Moses/God interactions, however, were really strange.

Felt the exact same about Interstellar. Really enjoyed most of it but it went off the rails at the end.

LA Ute
08-14-2015, 01:08 PM
McFarland. Apparently, McFarland is a small Mexican-American utopia in central CA. This movie has some bad lines, but it's still a sports movie with Kevin Costner. He has a perfect record with sports movies and westerns, right? "That's not Danny Diaz! That's not Danny Diaz!" And with that, my posting spree is over. Hope you enjoyed it.

We liked that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthwestUteFan
09-01-2015, 09:36 PM
Dumb and Dumber To. Better than it could/should have been, but it would have been better 10 years ago. The letter/address joke was classic.

"Of course God is a big joker. Why else would he put testicles on the outside where somebody could do this?" (Lloyd punches Harry in the junk)

Applejack
09-02-2015, 07:58 AM
Out of the Woods. I don't mind musicals, but this was hard to watch. Went on and on and on.

"The slotted spoon catches the potato"

NorthwestUteFan
09-02-2015, 09:03 AM
Chappie-
Interesting view of a somewhat dystopian South Africa where criminal gangs run wild in the streets, and a military supplier develops a super-cop robot to fight in the all-out gang war. At times it felt like an advertisement for a controversial punk rock band who provided a few songs on the soundtrack (and whose husband-wife duo have major supporting roles in the movie). Hugh Jackman plays the bad man, and that was a change for him.

The most intriguing part for me was the idea that a person's 'consciousness' is an actual living energy, and not just the sum of the memories and experiences. (Quick background: robot developer experiments with a 'sentient' bootstrap consciousness program and illegally uploads it to a damaged police robot, who then becomes self-aware. The damaged robot has only 5 days worth of battery power, and can't be recharged. Robot gets co-opted to use in a crime spree, and goes through an existential crisis and wonders why his 'maker' created him only to die. Much action and intrigue ensues).

This was a sort of Robocop mixed with deep philosophical conundrums. And with lots of foul language. I enjoyed it enough to watch again when it is on TV, but definitely won't buy it...

sancho
06-08-2016, 09:19 PM
Bridge of Spies. A 45 minute episode of Law and Order followed by a good movie.

sancho
04-18-2017, 01:45 PM
Dr. Strange. "Mister?... Doctor...Mister Doctor?...It's Strange....Maybe" Marvel just makes good movies.

Jack Reacher 2. Rule #1 about putting teenagers in your action movie: don't put teenagers in your action movie.

Assassin's Creed. This was just as bad as everyone said.

Passengers. This was better than everyone said, despite the uncomfortable love story.

Rocker Ute
04-18-2017, 02:29 PM
Dr. Strange. "Mister?... Doctor...Mister Doctor?...It's Strange....Maybe" Marvel just makes good movies.

Jack Reacher 2. Rule #1 about putting teenagers in your action movie: don't put teenagers in your action movie.

Assassin's Creed. This was just as bad as everyone said.

Passengers. This was better than everyone said, despite the uncomfortable love story.

Kind of fun to go back and read through this thread actually...

I've expressed that I've tired of the MCU movie formula and so I had some high hopes for Dr Strange. Didn't hate it but didn't love it.

I like Passengers. Slow moving movie but that is okay. I'm apparently a sucker for the alien/space movies.

I'll add the movie Sing. Rented for my girls, they loved it, not all that great. Music is good. I think I already reviewed Trolls, but low expectations made that bearable. If you have young daughters they'll get a kick out of dancing around to the music. Justin Timberlake does a good job on the music for Trolls.

Rogue One: This has actually become my favorite Star Wars movie. Yes, beating out all of the rest. I've watched it multiple times now, and unlike Episode 7, it gets better with more views and has in my mind a pretty compelling storyline. There is an element of doing wrong for right and the inner conflict. I love the distrust between characters. It actually fixes some of the goofy stuff with the original trilogy. Director Krenick is a compelling character as well.

Perhaps one of the reasons that I like the movie is the (spoiler alert) ending where the protagonists are killed by the death star is nearly identical to the most vivid and disturbing dreams of my life. In my dream my wife and I are out on a bike ride. We are up by the Huntsman Cancer Institute and I tell her that we should go up and check out the cafeteria on the roof, that it has one of the best views in the city. We are up there looking out at the valley when we see nuclear rockets coming into the valley. The first strikes and we see the blast spreading out across the valley. Everyone runs but I just grab my wife and we fell to our knees holding each other while I said to her, "It's over... It's over... I love you... " until the blast reached and obliterated us.

Weirdest, most disturbing but also strangely beautiful dream I've ever had. That scene and that dream still brings tears to my eyes.

sancho
06-14-2017, 10:58 PM
Finally time for LA LA Land. Why make a happy musical have a sad ending? Bummer. Fine movie though. Made me glad that I'm living the dream.

sancho
06-22-2017, 08:48 AM
The Great Wall. This is a really bad movie. Never did find out what the yellow armor was for. Blue was for diving, black for foot soldiers, purple for shields, red for archers. What's the yellow for, Matt Damon? And where is your character's accent from?

Nice Marmot
06-26-2017, 09:39 AM
Finally time for LA LA Land. Why make a happy musical have a sad ending? Bummer. Fine movie though. Made me glad that I'm living the dream.

I kind of liked the ending. Most of us have a first love that for whatever reason didn't work out.

Applejack
06-26-2017, 10:24 AM

You sap! If the movie had ended with a happy ending I would have asked for my money back. The ending was the best part about the whole thing.

LA Ute
06-26-2017, 11:34 AM
You sap! If the movie had ended with a happy ending I would have asked for my money back. The ending was the best part about the whole thing.

It was a real-life ending and I liked the discussions it provoked. But like that sap sancho I go to movie musicals to escape reality and live in the cinematic fantasy world. You dour-minded realist.

sancho
06-26-2017, 11:39 AM
It was a real-life ending and I liked the discussions it provoked.

This is true. I wouldn't have spent another minute thinking about a happy ending movie. As it was, I spent some time thinking about what they were saying about achieving your dreams and being happy.

Applejack
06-26-2017, 12:32 PM
This is true. I wouldn't have spent another minute thinking about a happy ending movie. As it was, I spent some time thinking about what they were saying about achieving your dreams and being happy.

See!

That's the spirit.

LA Ute
06-26-2017, 02:28 PM
https://youtu.be/C39YJymGp3Q1

sancho
07-06-2017, 12:10 PM
XXX: The Return of Xander Cage. The sequel no one asked for. This movie is exactly what you think it is. Ridiculous, over-the-top action.

Rocker Ute
07-06-2017, 01:39 PM
Baby Driver: Pretty good. Getting tons of accolades, I liked it but not raving over it like everyone else.

Oops: wrong thread, meant to be in the other movie thread.

bestellen
08-05-2017, 10:18 AM
it works for both men and women.

UBlender
08-08-2017, 02:48 PM
I'll put this here since I actually did get this movie from the library for once: Mad Max Fury Road. I watched the first half of it in my way-too-hot upstairs bedroom with the AC blasting so that it was hard to make out a lot of the dialogue (I couldn't turn it up too loud because there were lots of loud explosions and stuff and all the kids were sleeping down the hall). I missed a lot of the dialogue and never really understood the plot but I'm not sure this really mattered much. It's a movie built on fast action and a flame throwing guitar. Though I had no idea what was happening I still enjoyed it.

Rocker Ute
08-10-2017, 06:34 PM
You mostly missed Max grunting or saying one word.

UtahsMrSports
01-18-2018, 04:30 PM
Valerian and the city of 1,000 planets. This movie was just as bad as it appeared to be going in.

Random question for the group here: When you are in the process of viewing a movie, either at home or at the theater, and it just sucks, do you ever turn it off? I dont know why, but almost always I feel obligated to power through just to see how something ends.

If only I was as diligent about "starting what I finish" when it comes to eating right and exercising......

chrisrenrut
01-18-2018, 04:55 PM
Random question for the group here: When you are in the process of viewing a movie, either at home or at the theater, and it just sucks, do you ever turn it off? I dont know why, but almost always I feel obligated to power through just to see how something ends.

If only I was as diligent about "starting what I finish" when it comes to eating right and exercising......

I'm a little too ADD to stick with a movie that I find boring or uninteresting. Sometimes I might miss out on a payoff at the end, but there is so much content out there that I'll never see, I figure there is always something I can find that is a better use of my time.

Diehard Ute
01-18-2018, 05:15 PM
I'm pretty much the same way. Books and movies - I finish them for completeness. The last movie I turned off midway was the Big Fat Greek Wedding sequel. Sooo bad.

Why did you start that movie?

Diehard Ute
01-18-2018, 05:51 PM
Ha! I refer you to the thread title.

Do you only have one TV?

Did you sign a prenup requiring you to watch terrible movies with her?

sancho
04-06-2018, 12:44 PM
Ragnarok. Great, memorable action and humor.

They really should re-name the Oscar category to "best dramatic picture" because the actual best movies each year are either action films or comedies or both.

sancho
03-28-2019, 04:52 PM
Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Cute, funny. Grab it just for the Kiwi accents alone.

Mormon Red Death
03-29-2019, 08:23 AM
Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Cute, funny. Grab it just for the Kiwi accents alone.

Shit just got real!

sancho
05-13-2019, 08:42 AM
Crazy, Rich Asians. It's My Big Fat Greek Wedding on the set of a 50 Cent video. They missed a home run opportunity to have the main protagonist show up at love interest's place with a boombox playing "In Your Eyes" with Chinese lyrics.

Applejack
05-13-2019, 09:43 AM
Crazy, Rich Asians. It's My Big Fat Greek Wedding on the set of a 50 Cent video. They missed a home run opportunity to have the main protagonist show up at love interest's place with a boombox playing "In Your Eyes" with Chinese lyrics.

Really, really, really bad. Wasn't this the number one movie in America for awhile? I don't get it.

sancho
05-13-2019, 10:17 AM
Really, really, really bad. Wasn't this the number one movie in America for awhile? I don't get it.

I didn't think it was much better or much worse than the typical movie in that genre. Admittedly, it's not a genre I know very well.

Rocker Ute
05-13-2019, 01:12 PM

I think you just helped me dodge a bullet. I almost rented that this weekend.

Scratch
05-13-2019, 02:06 PM
It's passable if you're doing it as a favor for your significant other. My wife really enjoyed it (but she also loves, and I mean LOVES, the Fast and Furious movies, so I'm fine sitting through the occasional Crazy, Rich Asians).

Applejack
05-13-2019, 02:08 PM
It's passable if you're doing it as a favor for your significant other. My wife really enjoyed it (but she also loves, and I mean LOVES, the Fast and Furious movies, so I'm fine sitting through the occasional Crazy, Rich Asians).

FF has numerous redeeming qualities. CRA does not.

Scratch
05-13-2019, 02:13 PM

Right, I love the FF movies, my point was that while CRA may be one that you watch to be a good husband, I'm also fortunate that she enjoys the stupid-but-super-fun movies as well, so I don't feel like I have to endure the CRAs of the world too often. Sorry, I wasn't very clear.

sancho
05-13-2019, 03:18 PM

Not true, CRA had Chinese versions of many famous songs. That's good stuff.

Sullyute
05-14-2019, 08:37 AM

I have never seen a single Fast and Furious movie. They look terrible. I loved Drive, Baby Driver, original Gone in Sixty, etc. Am I missing the boat on this franchise?

sancho
05-14-2019, 08:45 AM
I have never seen a single Fast and Furious movie. They look terrible. I loved Drive, Baby Driver, original Gone in Sixty, etc. Am I missing the boat on this franchise?

They are fun movies, especially from #4 on. Over the top action scenes, explosions, and stunts. If you like that kind of stuff, the FF movies are good at it.

Scratch
05-14-2019, 08:51 AM
They are fun movies, especially from #4 on. Over the top action scenes, explosions, and stunts. If you like that kind of stuff, the FF movies are good at it.

This is the answer. They are well done, fun action movies. And you have to laugh at them as well as laugh with them (and they're in on the joke).