PDA

View Full Version : Duck, Duck, UTES! Utah vs. Oregon, 2013

DrumNFeather
11-11-2013, 12:02 PM
Let's get this party started!

DrumNFeather
11-11-2013, 12:15 PM
With our D playing better, i'd like to think we can hang in there, but it feels like we've given up big chunks of yardage as well. I could see us holding them in the high 20s. Our offense, however, woof.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

sancho
11-11-2013, 12:38 PM
With our D playing better, i'd like to think we can hang in there, but it feels like we've given up big chunks of yardage as well. I could see us holding them in the high 20s. Our offense, however, woof.

We are well suited to stopping the Taylor Gaffney's of the Pac-12, but the Kadeem Carey's are a little too explosive. Oregon has a lot of playmakers that can take it to the house.

Just to annoy our new conference mates, I say we start the fake injuries on the first drive and keep them up all day long.

LA Ute
11-11-2013, 01:32 PM

DrumNFeather
11-11-2013, 07:16 PM
From the Pac 12 Power Rankings:

2. Oregon: Ouch. Plenty of what-ifs, starting with: What if QB Marcus Mariota (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/511459/marcus-mariota) was 100 percent? But what-ifs only fuel Twitter. They don't change the standings. The question is how the Ducks respond against Utah, a solid team that has been suffering through its own what-if misery.

9. Utah: The Utes might be the best 4-5 team in the nation. Does that help, Utes? The Stanford win looks even better today, but it remains the only highlight of a 1-5 conference mark. The good news is the schedule eases up with a visit to Oregon on Saturday. Wait. Oh. Never mind. That doesn't sound like good news in the least.

sancho
11-12-2013, 08:34 AM
A national perspective on the ridiculous anti-Whittingham sentiment (from ESPN Pac-12 blog):

Charlie up on the hill in Utah writes: I've lost all faith in Utah's coaching staff after that choke job vs. ASU. The conservative play calling (play not to lose, not to win) was deplorable. It seems to have become a hallmark under Whittingham. Is it time for him to go (along with his under-qualified coaching staff - which includes a former personal injury attorney)?

Kevin Gemmell: I hear you. But I also think if you can't effectively throw the football and/or protect your quarterback, the smart money says to run the football and run the clock. So I don't really have any issue with how they managed the fourth quarter.

[+] Enlargehttp://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/1123/ncf_u_kwhittingham_jh_300.jpg (http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/1123/ncf_u_kwhittingham_jh_300.jpg)Russ Isabella/US PresswireSince joining the Pac-12, Utah is 8-16 in conference games. But Kyle Whittingham deserves more time.

One of my favorite David Shaw quotes of all time is: "We don't run plays we don't think aren't going to work."

Obviously the Utah coaching staff ran the plays they thought were best given the situation.

No, it's not time for coach Kyle Whittingham to go. And it won't be next year or the year after that. And his staff is fine. The talent is there, and the experience is there.

I've written this many times, and I'll write it again. Utah needs at least one full recruiting cycle in the Pac-12 before we can officially start judging them. Next year the Utes will start getting a full share of the television money. They have been at a disadvantage the first couple of seasons. They just built their new facilities. Let that money trickle down. Let them get familiar with how to appropriate it. By the way, hiring Dennis Erickson was a great start.

If the Utes have gone four straight years without a postseason berth, then we'll talk.

Am I the only one who sees improvement in this team from last year to this year? Am I the only one who saw them beat Stanford and take an ASU team that absolutely spanked them last year and push them to the brink?

Life in the Pac-12 isn't easy. Whittingham and Co. knew that coming in. Give them four to five years as a major conference team before we start talking coaching change.

DrumNFeather
11-12-2013, 08:48 AM
I think that is pretty much right on the money. Sure, there are a few things that could be tweaked, but Whittingham is far from the problem. He is and should be our guy for the next few years, IMO. If Hill can push him to open up his horizons on the assistant coaching front, he'll be fine.

sancho
11-12-2013, 08:53 AM
If Hill can push him to open up his horizons on the assistant coaching front, he'll be fine.

I'm okay with the assistants we have. I'm all for continuity for a change. We have shown improvement in spite of some very bad luck. Let's see if the improvement continues and the luck reverses.

EutawStUtesFan
11-12-2013, 09:33 AM
Charlie up on the hill in Utah writes: I've lost all faith in Utah's coaching staff after that choke job vs. ASU. The conservative play calling (play not to lose, not to win) was deplorable. It seems to have become a hallmark under Whittingham. Is it time for him to go (along with his under-qualified coaching staff - which includes a former personal injury attorney)?
Wow, if there is one unit that has shown improvement this year it is the corners. Not perfect, but I'd say Shah has done an excellent job with them.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-12-2013, 10:02 AM
A national perspective on the ridiculous anti-Whittingham sentiment (from ESPN Pac-12 blog):

First of all, great thread title DNF!

I like the perspective of Mr. Gemmell. I was pretty surprised after the ASU game to hear a ton of comments on how Whittingham had gotten out coached. A concept that just seemed ridiculous to me. These same people probably expected to get boat raced by ASU (who didn't) and only became frustrated once we were holding the lead. Yes the three and outs were super frustrating, but all you needed to do was watch the last two possessions to get an idea of what the alternative would have been. My work neighbor is a Duck fan and said that if we can produce a power run game up the middle, we've got a pretty good chance this weekend. I'm not holding my breath.

DrumNFeather
11-12-2013, 10:19 AM
First of all, great thread title DNF!

I like the perspective of Mr. Gemmell. I was pretty surprised after the ASU game to hear a ton of comments on how Whittingham had gotten out coached. A concept that just seemed ridiculous to me. These same people probably expected to get boat raced by ASU (who didn't) and only became frustrated once we were holding the lead. Yes the three and outs were super frustrating, but all you needed to do was watch the last two possessions to get an idea of what the alternative would have been. My work neighbor is a Duck fan and said that if we can produce a power run game up the middle, we've got a pretty good chance this weekend. I'm not holding my breath.

We would literally have to put together multiple 7+ minute drives, if not longer, and I just don't think we have the horses for that. I'd love to be proven wrong. I do wonder though, if the pass blocking is so bad, why don't we see more multiple back sets or more misdirection? I think with how hard ASU was charging, we could've hit them with that misdirection draw play that we've run so well in the past.

DrumNFeather
11-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Wow, if there is one unit that has shown improvement this year it is the corners. Not perfect, but I'd say Shah has done an excellent job with them.

Orphey seems to have struggled a bit to make the transition from JC to D1 ball, but other than that, I thought the backs played well on Saturday.

sancho
11-12-2013, 10:47 AM
Mariota to play:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/11/12/5095890/marcus-mariota-oregon-utah

sancho
11-13-2013, 08:45 AM
How weird will it be to have a 2-5 conference record with our only two wins coming against the 2 best teams in the conference (and the only two teams we had not yet played in conference)?

roseparkutes
11-13-2013, 09:02 AM
I honestly hope we can just hang. only lose by 10-17

Applejack
11-13-2013, 10:23 AM
I honestly hope we can just hang. only lose by 10-17

This is correct. I'm not down on this year's team, like apparently 50% of our fan base, but this is a terrible matchup for us. Let's start talking about Washington State - we tend to do very well against Cougars.

NorthwestUteFan
11-13-2013, 11:05 AM
Nobody who knows the first thing about football would suggest that Whitt needs to go. There is a bit of that sentiment on uf.n, but BlockU is chock full of vitriol and angst over Whitt. Several demanded that he get fired NOW over the close losses.

Whitt is the quickest road to success for this team. He may or may not be a National Championship coach. I would love to see better coaching in several aspects (definitely need somebody to refine QB skills, perhaps O line needs some help - although I am not sure coaching is the problem there, etc). Changing horses midstream MAY bring us to greater heights, but I fear it will take us longer to get there.

sancho
11-13-2013, 11:10 AM
Nobody who knows the first thing about football would suggest that Whitt needs to go. There is a bit of that sentiment on uf.n, but BlockU is chock full of vitriol and angst over Whitt. Several demanded that he get fired NOW over the close losses.

Whitt is the quickest road to success for this team. He may or may not be a National Championship coach. I would love to see better coaching in several aspects (definitely need somebody to refine QB skills, perhaps O line needs some help - although I am not sure coaching is the problem there, etc). Changing horses midstream MAY bring us to greater heights, but I fear it will take us longer to get there.

I agree 100%. Where else are we going to find someone who had a proven track record who also wants to stay at Utah for a long time? Whittingham should become the Frank Beamer of the west.

OrangeUte
11-13-2013, 11:47 AM
Whit does an amazing job as coach. I have no qualms with him at all. I do see our ability to hang on to Dennis Erickson as important. It is not do or die important, but we really need to have an OC for consecutive years especially with how young our QB(s) is/are. Look at Alex with the 49ers to see this as important. I think the coaching staff has done a good job recruiting QBs, but we now need continuity.

As for the Ducks... I'm on board with all of the comments about keeping it respectable. I have day dreams of us going 2-0 against Stanford and Oregon because one knock on us the last few years was that we didn't have to play either team.

I do agree with Whit that this team is much better this year than last year.

Jarid in Cedar
11-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Murphy may be medically cleared to play Saturday. Final word on Friday. :rockon:

LA Ute
11-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Murphy may be medically cleared to play Saturday. Final word on Friday. :rockon:

Wow!

sancho
11-13-2013, 07:37 PM

I hope he still has a cast and uses it to bludgeon smaller Ducks at the line.

Diehard Ute
11-13-2013, 07:42 PM

I'd be surprised, as of today he hasn't been cleared to do live work in practice...hard to see him playing in 3 days.

Jarid in Cedar
11-13-2013, 07:57 PM
I'd be surprised, as of today he hasn't been cleared to do live work in practice...hard to see him playing in 3 days.

That it is even on the realm of possibility is a good thing for the rest of the year. He was supposed to be season ending.

DrumNFeather
11-13-2013, 08:08 PM
That it is even on the realm of possibility is a good thing for the rest of the year. He was supposed to be season ending.

Yep, I'd prefer we have him next week and beyond given that this one is a long shot.

hostile
11-13-2013, 08:57 PM

Me too. Not sure what was fractured. He's only been out a month and I would expect a longer healing time before trusting full contact.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-14-2013, 10:17 AM
So the weather in Eugene this Saturday is supposed to be buckets of rain. Oregon has had trouble holding onto the ball as it is, I think bad weather only improves our chances of keeping things close. A wet field with a gimpy Mariota? I'm still not hopeful, but I'll take any advantage at this point.

Utah
11-14-2013, 02:21 PM

I completely agree. I think Finn needs to go. BUT, what did people expect from a true sophomore QB? Bad passes, INT's, and close losses as a sophomore turn into good throws for first downs, sustained drives, more TD's and wins as a JR/SR. We are a young team. We are a competitive team. To start over now is CRAZY.

Utah
11-14-2013, 02:22 PM
So the weather in Eugene this Saturday is supposed to be buckets of rain. Oregon has had trouble holding onto the ball as it is, I think bad weather only improves our chances of keeping things close. A wet field with a gimpy Mariota? I'm still not hopeful, but I'll take any advantage at this point.

Who drops the ball more? Oregon's ball handlers or Utah's WR's tipping the ball in the air? ha ha.

arizonaute
11-14-2013, 02:30 PM
I would really like to have someone explain why there is a call for Finn to go ? Is the assumption he is coaching the line not to block?? Is he a bad recruiter? Is he only doing what he is asked? I would like to know.

U-Ute
11-14-2013, 03:05 PM
I would really like to have someone explain why there is a call for Finn to go ? Is the assumption he is coaching the line not to block?? Is he a bad recruiter? Is he only doing what he is asked? I would like to know.

Not that I agree with the cries, but it appears our o-line has regressed as the season has gone on this year.

wally
11-14-2013, 03:11 PM
What If Utah's only Pac12 wins this season end up being Stanford and Oregon? Would that be cause for concern that the Utes have slipped into some bizarro state of existence? Would Dr. Chris Hill even be able to fire Whit if he has slipped into a bizarro dimension? Can you even talk about firing a coach that beat your rival and the 2 top teams in the conference (both top 6 in the nation)?

I REALLY hope that the Utes pull off a stunner in Eugene (a) because a bowl would be nice, but (b) because it would cause so many heads to explode as to be really funny. Utah would officially be the "WTF?" college football team of the year! How does a team beat Stanford and Oregon but lose to the Arizonas?? -welcome to UTAH FOOTBALL WHERE NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!!!

UBlender
11-14-2013, 03:14 PM

Well, Utah's been snake-bitten in a lot of ways this year, but hasn't really had much fumble-itis so far, so maybe we are due for that on a slippery Oregon afternoon.

It's funny. I was thinking about this today. Utah has done a lot of the things a team should do to win the turnover battle. We have very rarely fumbled the ball--almost all of our turnovers are INTs. We have also been great at pressuring the passer (leading the PAC 12 in sacks and being near the top nationally) and this is usually a recipe for turnovers....but not for us. Apparently we are playing against passers who are either finding a way to throw the ball out of bounds or just take a sack rather than making a mistake.

I think there is an element to Utah's turnover woes that is just plain bad luck. Yes, the INTs have been a problem (but there is some bad luck here too with tipped passes bouncing right to defenders) and our defense simply can't catch the ball, but those two things don't explain the whole story.

I've been waiting for a game where the ball just bounces Utah's way and Utah comes out on the plus side of the turnover margin. Sadly, for the first 58 minutes, that ASU game may have been it.

Utah
11-14-2013, 05:18 PM

My reasoning is this: Tim Davis' last year here, he had a line full of MWC guys, yet 2 (or maybe three) are still in the NFL. Since he left, all we have heard about is how great all the new recruits coming in are, how Poutasi is a sure fire, first round NFL LT, how deep our OL is, yet...once our TE's go down, our OL is TERRIBLE. Also, we haven't gotten any better since week one, and may have gotten worse. You can chalk up the losses to UCLA, OSU, ASU and possibly USC to OL play. If they play better, we probably win at least three of those games. He has been here for 3 years, and our OL is definitely worse than the day he showed up, and doesn't seem to be progressing.

There is a problem with the OL. Either it's recruiting, practice or technique, but at the end of the day it comes back to the coach, and the results haven't been there.

I was very disappointed in Shaw to start the year. Since then, our CB's have made leaps and bounds in improvement and McGill has gone from horrendous to getting a shot at a NFL team to maybe, possibly getting drafted. HUGE improvement. Where is that on the OL? Once we lost our blocking TE's, our OL has disappeared. No time to pass, no push to run, tipped balls everywhere (and don't give me the Wilson throws sidearm foolishness. He isn't 5 ft 9. Engage your defender so he can't get his arms up. Hit the DL).

Diehard Ute
11-14-2013, 05:47 PM
My reasoning is this: Tim Davis' last year here, he had a line full of MWC guys, yet 2 (or maybe three) are still in the NFL. Since he left, all we have heard about is how great all the new recruits coming in are, how Poutasi is a sure fire, first round NFL LT, how deep our OL is, yet...once our TE's go down, our OL is TERRIBLE. Also, we haven't gotten any better since week one, and may have gotten worse. You can chalk up the losses to UCLA, OSU, ASU and possibly USC to OL play. If they play better, we probably win at least three of those games. He has been here for 3 years, and our OL is definitely worse than the day he showed up, and doesn't seem to be progressing.

There is a problem with the OL. Either it's recruiting, practice or technique, but at the end of the day it comes back to the coach, and the results haven't been there.

I was very disappointed in Shaw to start the year. Since then, our CB's have made leaps and bounds in improvement and McGill has gone from horrendous to getting a shot at a NFL team to maybe, possibly getting drafted. HUGE improvement. Where is that on the OL? Once we lost our blocking TE's, our OL has disappeared. No time to pass, no push to run, tipped balls everywhere (and don't give me the Wilson throws sidearm foolishness. He isn't 5 ft 9. Engage your defender so he can't get his arms up. Hit the DL).

You blew your argument with your first point. No on who knows anything about football has said Poutasi is an NFL LT, his potential is as a RT or RG, he's being asked to play out of position...and everyone knows it.

USS Utah
11-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Utah could get away with moving players around on the O-line while in the MWC. They clearly can't do that in the Pac-12.

sancho
11-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Utah could get away with moving players around on the O-line while in the MWC. They clearly can't do that in the Pac-12.

I read this kind of thing all the time, and maybe it's true, but we are talking about small sample sizes. "No way this drug will cure cancer because we tried it out on 2 mice, and it didn't work."

My guess is that in the history of the Pac-12, lots of teams have dealt with injuries by moving players around on the lines. I bet it has sometimes worked and sometimes failed. But you try to do whatever you can.

There is a faulty logic going around -- a BCS conference is much harder, and therefore our good teams of the past weren't really that good. Maybe those teams were just much better than are current team. We can't possibly know that. In the absence of evidence, I'm just going to keep believing that those were really good teams.

USS Utah
11-14-2013, 08:34 PM
Maybe its also the players being moved around.

I think there is merit, at least, to the week-in-week-out argument.

2008 was a better team than the last three Utah teams, but how would it have handled this year's schedule?

sancho
11-15-2013, 06:30 AM
2008 was a better team than the last three Utah teams, but how would it have handled this year's schedule?

We can never know, but the 2008 team was better offensively and much better defensively than this team. If our current team is losing close games every week, there is reason to think the 2008 team could have at least been winning close games every week.

OrangeUte
11-15-2013, 08:44 AM
Supposedly it is going to rain at Autzen this weekend. They say it never does, but we all know that just ain't so.

Earlier this year the ducks played in the rain at home, I think it was against Washington. Or maybe it was UCLA. Nevertheless, the ducks dominated on turnovers, almost freakishly so. It was like 6 to 1 on the turnover margin.

My point is, we have been on the bad end of freakish bad turnover games while the ducks have been on the good end of freakish bad games. If it rains my prediction is that the bad and good luck shifts hands.

We are due, they are not. If we can win the turnover battle in our play defense plays well stopping them, we can pull this off.

Now let us pray.

Dear 5 lbs. 9 oz. tiny baby Jesus, lying in the manger all omnipotent in your fleecy golden diapers. Please bring rain and a shift of fortune and turnovers to Eugene Oregon and the Utes this weekend. Amen

Jarid in Cedar
11-15-2013, 10:18 AM
The rain game was against Cal and Goff was fumbling the ball as readily as mormons fumbling with buttons on their honeymoon.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-15-2013, 10:58 AM
If I remember right, Oregon put the ball on the turf as much as Cal did, they were just able to get most of them back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-15-2013, 11:02 AM
I'm hearing rumors on FB that some radio station announced that Wilson is out with a concussion? Anyone have any more info/verification on such a rumor?

Diehard Ute
11-15-2013, 12:50 PM
I'm hearing rumors on FB that some radio station announced that Wilson is out with a concussion? Anyone have any more info/verification on such a rumor?

It's rumors. The source, I've been hearing, is Patrick Kinahan.

Most of the rumors are around a shoulder issue.

No confirmation from anything other than the Internet

LA Ute
11-15-2013, 02:04 PM
It's rumors. The source, I've been hearing, is Patrick Kinahan.

Most of the rumors are around a shoulder issue.

No confirmation from anything other than the Internet

It would be weird for him to be concussed in practice, unless it happened in the ASU game, in which case it would have to be a pretty bad concussion to still be a problem, wouldn't it?

If it's a shoulder issue then I guess we are just cursed when it comes to QB shoulders.

Diehard Ute
11-15-2013, 02:24 PM
It would be weird for him to be concussed in practice, unless it happened in the ASU game, in which case it would have to be a pretty bad concussion to still be a problem, wouldn't it?

If it's a shoulder issue then I guess we are just cursed when it comes to QB shoulders.

The latest rumor mill is a concussion.

As for how bad a concussion had to be to keep someone out, it's something we don't know. We know very little about concussions. There's a hockey player in the NHL that was out over a year from a single concussion.

Still nothing confirmed.

Diehard Ute
11-15-2013, 02:31 PM
So, this all started because a Wisconsin radio guy, named Travis Wilson, tweeted Schulz was likely to play because Wilson's play has been poor since he got hurt against Arizona.

It's a weird series of tweets

https://mobile.twitter.com/travisWSN

UBlender
11-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Adam Schulz's sister has also been tweeting about it, along with a few other friends from back in Wisconsin. It's either legit or a very organized "troll" job by a group of people.

Diehard Ute
11-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Adam Schulz's sister has also been tweeting about it, along with a few other friends from back in Wisconsin. It's either legit or a very organized "troll" job by a group of people.

I can't imagine the coaching staff will be too happy either way...not the kind of stuff you want your family and friends doing if you're Schulz

Hot Lunch
11-15-2013, 04:14 PM
It is confirmed that Travis Wilson is not making the trip to Oregon. Neither is York and Norris.

roseparkutes
11-15-2013, 04:18 PM
well this is a deff lose lol

Applejack
11-15-2013, 04:57 PM
LOL. What is the story on Norris and York? Without Norris we are going to get torched across the middle.

Diehard Ute
11-15-2013, 05:41 PM
LOL. What is the story on Norris and York? Without Norris we are going to get torched across the middle.

Norris didn't play much last week. We went with Hale and Whitt and played a lot of nickel with Honeycutt.

York was injured last game and was doubtful all week.

LA Ute
11-15-2013, 07:38 PM
This game will be hard to watch. Ouch.

DrumNFeather
11-15-2013, 08:00 PM

OR...we see the second coming of Brett Ratliff!

hostile
11-15-2013, 08:10 PM
:gut punch:

Hot Lunch
11-15-2013, 09:09 PM
OR...we see the second coming of Brett Ratliff!

I wish that were the case.

Schultz can't move. He is so slow. My guess is he gets sacked 8 or more times tomorrow.

OrangeUte
11-15-2013, 09:10 PM
This brutal news. Any guess on when Travis got the concussion?

DrumNFeather
11-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Brace yourselves

OrangeUte
I'm ready for this.

LA Ute
Glad to see we are in our San Diego State uniforms. Wow, those look ugly, at least from a distance on TV.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 02:08 PM
Great first possession by the D. Forcing a punt!

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 02:08 PM
I love the matte black helmets.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 02:11 PM
Great 3rd down to Norwood!

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 02:13 PM
Ed Hochuli's son is refusing this game.

That chop block penalty hurts. Stupid stupid stupid.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 02:14 PM
Ugh!!! Another pick. Horrible throw.

sancho
Glad to see we are in our San Diego State uniforms. Wow, those look ugly, at least from a distance on TV.

It's all relative. Take a look at Oregon's unis.

LA Ute
Bad Schultz decision. Here we go.

LA Ute
11-16-2013, 02:16 PM
At least we made them take 7 minutes to score.

LA Ute
11-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Brady Poppinga? WTH?

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Shoot. I was hoping we would score first. Don't want that offense getting any rhythm. That first drive was awful by our offense. Asiata's chop block was a horrible 15 yard ding.

LA Ute
11-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Going for 2 is a-holish, IMO.

LA Ute
11-16-2013, 02:19 PM
To avoid being boat raced we need to put together a decent drive here.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Dimmick! It is always something that kills our turnovers.

sancho
11-16-2013, 02:24 PM
So, if Schulz goes down today, are we burning a redshirt, or are we going wildcat with Poole? I vote we rotate wildcat snaps between all skill position players.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 02:25 PM
I would like to see some Murphy.

Great 3rd down conversion. Let's keep this going boys. Short yardage and keep the chains moving.

LA Ute
So far o-line is giving Adam some time.

OrangeUte
Oh Karl Williams come on. Schultz should have probably just ran and slid.

LA Ute
11-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Oh Karl Williams come on. Schultz should have probably just ran and slid.

Yep.

LA Ute
11-16-2013, 02:28 PM
Now we've gotta get them off the field again.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 02:28 PM
Defense has a big series here. We needed to take another 3-4 minutes off the clock.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 02:35 PM
Nice to hold them to 3! Defense playing solid, especially the line. But we have got to get a sustained drive and score points here.

sancho
11-16-2013, 02:44 PM
I love the matte black helmets.

I'd like to see one with a white drum and feather instead of a red one.

DrumNFeather
11-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Whit: "this is embarrassing" on the consecutive time outs

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 02:50 PM
Damn denham!

sancho
11-16-2013, 02:51 PM
On 3rd and 3, we should have run, planning to go for it on 4th. Takes Oregon 2 plays to erase our punt.

LA Ute
11-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Damn denham!

We mainly need better players.

LA Ute
11-16-2013, 02:54 PM
It's nice to see players step up like that and say "No, this is not happening!"

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 02:54 PM
We mainly need better players.

Def need more consistent players. He follows up a nice catch w one where he fails to hold onto the ball.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 02:55 PM
I dig this defense. Reilly flipping Marriota was awesome.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 02:56 PM
We really aren't mixing it up much on run plays.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Radley is short. Great save on the play though.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Hackett is a booming kicker.

sancho
11-16-2013, 02:58 PM
They're taking the run away on 1st down, daring us to pass. So let's pass! Our short yardage passing game is making its first appearance in weeks. And they are giving our WRs a huge cushion - something we haven't seen since Stanford.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Oregon is hurting itself w false starts.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 03:02 PM
The crowd is pretty quiet.

Reilly w a huge sack!

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 03:03 PM
YEAH YEAH YEAH DEFENSE!!!!

Come on offense - let's get this done!!!!

DrumNFeather
11-16-2013, 03:06 PM
D has been excellent

sancho
11-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Got em scared now! We grabbed a first down on the ground, and they fake an injury to slow us down.

sancho
11-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Wazzu with the upset in Tuscon. Next week is the battle for a bowl game. Either WSU or Utah will get to 6 wins, but not both.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Lucky had that first down. Dumb.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Good!!!

sancho
11-16-2013, 03:17 PM
Beautiful

OrangeUte
YES!!!!! Touchdown Murphy!!!!

DrumNFeather
Murph!

OrangeUte
Murphy is no sprinter. Love it!

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 03:19 PM
Bad idea on the kick.

Jeez.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 03:20 PM
Can our offense come back in and score again?

DrumNFeather
11-16-2013, 03:20 PM
Well that ain't good

sancho
11-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Classic Oregon right there. 30 second scoring drive.

sancho
11-16-2013, 03:25 PM
If we can't get a 1st down here, we'll be 24-7 at halftime.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 03:27 PM
Oregon wants to score again. We are too naive. They aren't going to let us just run the clock down.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 03:28 PM
Another drop. There is no excuse Dres. Crap.

LA Ute
Dres needs to make plays. That throw was perfect.

OrangeUte
Dres Anderson needs pine sap on his hands.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Dammit that was such a gimme to close out the half without stress.

DrumNFeather
Dres needs to make plays. That throw was perfect.

Unacceptable

UtahDan
Dres is great with the ball but he has board hands.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

LA Ute
OK, D needs to bail out the inept, shoot-yourself-in-the-foot offense again.

OrangeUte
Good defense there.

UtahDan
11-16-2013, 03:30 PM
Need a draw play for 40+

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 03:30 PM
Take a good deep shot on first down here.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 03:31 PM
I understand not going for it. But what do we have to lose?

sancho
11-16-2013, 03:32 PM

I agree with you, that's one thing we know Schulz can do, right? let him air one out.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 03:32 PM

Other than the game I know I know.

Schultz did not play horrible that half.

Several inexcusable drops.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Can't come out flat on offense.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Good defense on that pass play. Dres needs to come up big this half.

LA Ute
11-16-2013, 03:56 PM
That was the 4th bad drop of the game, 2nd for Dres. Guy's killing us.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 03:56 PM
Saved by the flag.

LA Ute
11-16-2013, 03:58 PM
I hope Lucky survives this game .

DrumNFeather
11-16-2013, 04:04 PM
Sometimes you gotta close your eyes and throw it!

Diehard Ute
11-16-2013, 04:08 PM
Pretty sure that was a blatant hold to spring Thomas....

DrumNFeather
11-16-2013, 04:09 PM
Man, we just hold our foot out there and promptly shoot it.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 04:09 PM
That still keeps their offense off the field. We need a scoring drive here.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 04:10 PM
Out kickoff coverage had been pretty inadequate all year.

sancho
11-16-2013, 04:10 PM
Sometimes you gotta close your eyes and throw it!

That had interception written all over it. Glad it worked out.

Again, classic Oregon. They don't let anyone grab momentum. That's why we were kicking away from DAT earlier. We're as dumb as those guys who kicked to Reggie last year.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 04:12 PM
Andy Phillips had a chance but took a horrible angle.

LA Ute
11-16-2013, 04:14 PM
We can actually play with these guys. Missed assignments have killed us and made their big plays possible.

DrumNFeather
11-16-2013, 04:21 PM
Feet got tangled up and Huff offers a flop that would make John Stockton blush.

Diehard Ute
11-16-2013, 04:24 PM
Schulz is getting happy feet

LA Ute
11-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Just hoping for a non-blowout now.

LA Ute
11-16-2013, 04:37 PM
A TO would be very nice. We're starting to get pushed around.

DrumNFeather
11-16-2013, 04:38 PM
Just hoping for a non-blowout now.

They're gonna try to run it up, I hope our guys play them tough through the duration.

LA Ute
11-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Sigh.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Oregon is in their rhythm now. We had them in a battle but now they are making us play their game.

sancho
11-16-2013, 04:40 PM
Pretty much everyone this year played them tight for a half before getting creamed.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 04:47 PM
Pretty much everyone this year played them tight for a half before getting creamed.

Pretty much true.

LA Ute
11-16-2013, 04:47 PM
Well, this is going to be our blowout loss this season. Rats. I was hoping we'd avoid that. Our D is gassed and they are still looking at a LOT of time on the field.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 04:49 PM
Pretty much true.

Other than ucla and Washington, though, I think most of their games were blow outs in the first half.

DrumNFeather
11-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Style points matter.

Diehard Ute
11-16-2013, 04:52 PM
Well, this is going to be our blowout loss this season. Rats. I was hoping we'd avoid that. Our D is gassed and they are still looking at a LOT of time on the field.

Wrong thread ;)

UtahDan
11-16-2013, 04:54 PM
Just a significant talent disparity out there today.

sancho
11-16-2013, 05:03 PM
TCU's bowl streak - every year since 2004 - just ended.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 05:04 PM
Schulz wasn't horrible. That's a plus. Kyle teams are never going to be creative. Some creativity might have helped but wouldn't have made a difference.

We got stomped by a very deep team. I'm not bothered by this loss. I feel encouraged for next year but we have got to figure out a way to get a passing game going. Just as the run game opens up the pass game, the pass game can open up the run game.

sancho
11-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Just as the run game opens up the pass game, the pass game can open up the run game.

That's how modern football works. Nobody but Wisconsin and Stanford are still doing the run first thing. Now it's all about passing to establish the run.

UtahDan
11-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Schulz wasn't horrible. That's a plus. Kyle teams are never going to be creative. Some creativity might have helped but wouldn't have made a difference.

We got stomped by a very deep team. I'm not bothered by this loss. I feel encouraged for next year but we have got to figure out a way to get a passing game going. Just as the run game opens up the pass game, the pass game can open up the run game.

Yeah. We really need to see Wilson return to form and take the next step. If there is anything that troubles me its how we struggle to develop QBs and keep them healthy.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 05:08 PM
That post was nice to Dres.

UtahDan
11-16-2013, 05:08 PM
I like that we are not quitting here.

sancho
11-16-2013, 05:09 PM
I like that we are not quitting here.

Beat the spread! Beat the spread!

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 05:10 PM
I'm sure that we are playing out starters against their second strings. But, that made me happy to se us score again.

UtahDan
11-16-2013, 05:11 PM
That Fox music only belongs on NFL games by the way.

LA Ute
11-16-2013, 05:21 PM
Well, it coulda been worse. Shoulda been better.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 05:26 PM
I will take our defense any day of the week. I will not take our offense any day of the week. I appreciate that Schulz manages the game okay. But, the drops by dres, especially the open drop on 3rd down just would have extended our drive, really hurt. Once Oregon got going, our defense was marginalized bc of the big plays.

I'm beginning to be more convinced that the only way to stop Oregon is to dominate their defense on long sustained drives THAT END IN SCORES and keep their offense from getting going. Our defense was giving the offense plenty of opportunities in that first half to do just that but we didn't respond when we had the ball.

Glad we covered the spread.

LA Ute
11-16-2013, 05:30 PM
Wrong thread ;)

Using Tapatalk, in the grocery store. My bad. (I've moved it to the correct thread now.)

LA Ute
11-16-2013, 06:04 PM
A bright spot: O- line protected. Schulz had a pocket.

Question: Do we need more starters (i.e., better athletes) on special teams?

sancho
11-16-2013, 09:09 PM
Question: Do we need more starters (i.e., better athletes) on special teams?

If we do, then so does everyone else. DAT has killed people on returns for a while. Montgomery has done the same. Fact is, there are just some good returners and return units out there. Now, giving a good return to Falslev is an entirely different story. No excuse for that.

Utah
11-16-2013, 10:26 PM
TCU's bowl streak - every year since 2004 - just ended.

Every time I feel bad about how Utah is doing...I look at how TCU is doing. At least we are better than them. Ha ha.

SoCalPat
11-16-2013, 11:02 PM
Once again, we were treated to an episode of How Coaches Prove Their Salary Is Wasted by Blowing it on Fourth Down Decisions.

Against Utah State, early third quarter, the Aggies have just scored to go up 9 at 23-14, we've got 4th and 1 from our own 43 and Kyle goes for it. We get the first down, although we end up punting later in the drive.

Against Oregon, early third quarter, the Ducks have just scored to go up 9 at 23-14, we've got 4th and 1 from our own 38 and Kyle elects to punt. The punt pins Oregon deep, but it puts together its best drive of the game, scores a TD to go up 16 and the game is essentially over.

How a D-1 coach, making millions to WIN GAMES, can come to two different decisions in what is essentially the same situation is baffling. Kyle doing the absolutely wrong thing on fourth down is becoming a near weekly occurrence.

SeattleUte
11-16-2013, 11:07 PM
Once again, we were treated to an episode of How Coaches Prove Their Salary Is Wasted by Blowing it on Fourth Down Decisions.

Against Utah State, early third quarter, the Aggies have just scored to go up 9 at 23-14, we've got 4th and 1 from our own 43 and Kyle goes for it. We get the first down, although we end up punting later in the drive.

Against Oregon, early third quarter, the Ducks have just scored to go up 9 at 23-14, we've got 4th and 1 from our own 38 and Kyle elects to punt. The punt pins Oregon deep, but it puts together its best drive of the game, scores a TD to go up 16 and the game is essentially over.

How a D-1 coach, making millions to WIN GAMES, can come to two different decisions in what is essentially the same situation is baffling. Kyle doing the absolutely wrong thing on fourth down is becoming a near weekly occurrence.

Kyle needs to get himself a reliable, tough, competent and durable quarterback. It's amazing what he's accomplished with walkons at quarterback most of the time since 2004, except 2008. Our quarterback problems are surreal. Wtf is going on with this all important positoin? In the Pac 12 we need to strike quarterback gold. We've had scotch tape and tinfoil.

Utah
11-16-2013, 11:14 PM

We all wanted a bowl game this year. We are playing how most of us thought we would play. We all were hoping for 3-1 to start the year, we were hoping for one win vs UCLA (http://utefans.net/message.php?id=1570809)

USC, ASU, or Arizona (we didn't get it, but we did get Stanford), and then we were hoping for two wins to end the year to get us bowl eligible.

We are right on track.

I think the Stanford game might have been the rare game that actually HURT both teams. It gave Ute fans unrealistic expectations, and knocked Stanford out of the title game (well, until tonight, that is).

We are right on track DESPITE all the adversity we have faced. We all WANTED 6-6 before the season. If you were told back in August that Wilson, Scott, York, Murphy, and Tonga (45%, yes, FORTY FIVE FREAKING PERCENT of the offense) would be injured, would ANYONE expect a bowl?

Then toss in defensive injuries...IT IS A MIRACLE we are still on track.

If Wilson is hurt, that changes everything.

If Wilson is 100% healthy, we WILL be bowling, which means the season was an AMAZING SUCCESS.

sancho
11-16-2013, 11:22 PM

I think we've made a lot of good 4th down decisions this year. A fan will never go through the season agreeing with all of them. At that point in the game, our defense had been doing really well. It was reasonable to kick. The last thing you want in this area is a fixed set of rules on which down, distance and yard line dictate going for it.

SeattleUte
11-16-2013, 11:22 PM
We all wanted a bowl game this year. We are playing how most of us thought we would play. We all were hoping for 3-1 to start the year, we were hoping for one win vs UCLA (http://utefans.net/message.php?id=1570809)

USC, ASU, or Arizona (we didn't get it, but we did get Stanford), and then we were hoping for two wins to end the year to get us bowl eligible.

We are right on track.

I think the Stanford game might have been the rare game that actually HURT both teams. It gave Ute fans unrealistic expectations, and knocked Stanford out of the title game (well, until tonight, that is).

We are right on track DESPITE all the adversity we have faced. We all WANTED 6-6 before the season. If you were told back in August that Wilson, Scott, York, Murphy, and Tonga (45%, yes, FORTY FIVE FREAKING PERCENT of the offense) would be injured, would ANYONE expect a bowl?

Then toss in defensive injuries...IT IS A MIRACLE we are still on track.

If Wilson is hurt, that changes everything.

If Wilson is 100% healthy, we WILL be bowling, which means the season was an AMAZING SUCCESS.

I am by nature a glass half full guy, but get real, the season is not an AMAZING success in any shape or form. It's self delusion pure and simple saying that. Moreover, even if Wilson is 100% next week we will be underdogs and Mike Leach is a good enough coach to take our measure in Pullman next week. It is not an easy place to play especially this season. I would not bet money on the Utes next week. Also, we RUTS last season vs. Wasu and they will be very motivated. I am not feeling good about the season right now. I am especially unhappy with our quarterback situation since 2008.

Utah
11-16-2013, 11:29 PM
I am by nature a glass half full guy, but get real, the season is not an AMAZING success in any shape or form. It's self delusion pure and simple saying that. Moreover, even if Wilson is 100% next week we will be underdogs and Mike Leach is a good enough coach to take our measure in Pullman next week. It is not an easy place to play especially this season. I would not bet money on the Utes next week. Also, we RUTS last season vs. Wasu and they will be very motivated. I am not feeling good about the season right now. I am especially unhappy with our quarterback situation since 2008.

Where did you think we would be at this point before the season?

Then, go back to August, and if I told you we would have 45% our of projected offensive starters injured for most of the year, where would you think we would be?

Most people thought we would be 4-6 right now. We are. Most people thought we would have to win our last two games to get bowl eligible. We will.

Now, had you told most people that half of our offense would be injured, any intelligent person would say that we would probably end up 4-8.

So, how is this a bad season? If Whitt can get this team to fight the next two weeks, and go to a bowl with all the injuries they have had, isn't that a success? Losing half your offense, yet you still achieve what everyone thought you would achieve had you remained healthy all year?

SoCalPat
11-16-2013, 11:30 PM
I think we've made a lot of good 4th down decisions this year. A fan will never go through the season agreeing with all of them. At that point in the game, our defense had been doing really well. It was reasonable to kick. The last thing you want in this area is a fixed set of rules on which down, distance and yard line dictate going for it.

I think Kyle has been pretty spot on with a lot of these decisions prior to the last four weeks. I think he's been a complete dunderhead the last month.

You're down two possessions and you have 1 yard to go for a first down. It's the second half, you're on the road and you're a huge dog. By punting, you're not playing to win, you're playing to keep the score close. Maybe ... just maybe, if we're fielding a defense that forces a lot of turnovers, you can make a stronger case for punting. But we haven't been that team and Mariota hasn't thrown a pick all year. It's far more likely we'll gain the 1 yard than we force Oregon to turn it over.

Utah
11-16-2013, 11:32 PM

The onside kick against USU was genius. The all out blitz to end the game against Stanford was amazing. The blitz schemes against UCLA kept a team with 6 INT's in the game. The progression of the CB's every week has been great.

Yeah, there is a lot that hasn't gone right. But to say Whitt isn't doing a good job...I don't agree. We thought we would be a 6-6 team. We look like a 6-6 team. We thought the season would come down to next weekend. It is. Here is where we find out how good of a coach Whitt is. Today wasn't a winnable game.

Next week is. Has the team quit on him? We will find out this weekend.

SeattleUte
11-16-2013, 11:35 PM

Then, go back to August, and if I told you we would have 45% our of projected offensive starters injured for most of the year, where would you think we would be?

Most people thought we would be 4-6 right now. We are. Most people thought we would have to win our last two games to get bowl eligible. We will.

Now, had you told most people that half of our offense would be injured, any intelligent person would say that we would probably end up 4-8.

So, how is this a bad season? If Whitt can get this team to fight the next two weeks, and go to a bowl with all the injuries they have had, isn't that a success? Losing half your offense, yet you still achieve what everyone thought you would achieve had you remained healthy all year?

The season is not an "AMAZING SUCCESS" and it wouldn't be were we to win the last two games. That's absurd. Please, no Kyle apologetics.

Regardless, I've been a big Kyle supporter. But the main thing that discourages me is the almost consistent inability to develop an even reliable quarterback. Maybe Kyle's just been really unlucky.

SoCalPat
11-16-2013, 11:35 PM

Not after we got to 4-2 by beating Stanford. Who cares what people thought in August.

We're not far from being a very good team. I think we can all agree on that. A successful season? Only the most myopic among us would call 6-6 successful.

sancho
11-16-2013, 11:36 PM
Also, we RUTS last season vs. Wasu and they will be very motivated.

I don't think they need that memory for motivation. They are playing for their first bowl game in forever.

Utah
11-16-2013, 11:36 PM
I think Kyle has been pretty spot on with a lot of these decisions prior to the last four weeks. I think he's been a complete dunderhead the last month.

You're down two possessions and you have 1 yard to go for a first down. It's the second half, you're on the road and you're a huge dog. By punting, you're not playing to win, you're playing to keep the score close. Maybe ... just maybe, if we're fielding a defense that forces a lot of turnovers, you can make a stronger case for punting. But we haven't been that team and Mariota hasn't thrown a pick all year. It's far more likely we'll gain the 1 yard than we force Oregon to turn it over.

Schutz is your QB. You aren't winning today. I am ok with playing to keep the score close. You are coaching kids. You have to keep them motivated, or WSU will destroy you. You have to leave this game with positives, things to build these kids back up. You have to beat WSU to have a successful season. Keeping the score close will help you do so. Going for 4th and 1 and not getting it, and losing by a bigger margin does nothing to help.

Schutz is the 109th ranked QB with the adj QBR. He isn't good. He sucks. Big time. Don't kid yourself. He isn't good.

I won't agree with you about play calling in this game. If you want to discuss why in the world Schutz is your backup and not Manning/Cox/Thomas, then I'll have that discussion. That is the biggest mistake of the season. Thinking that a walk on is good enough. This isn't the MWC. This is big boy football. You need big boy players. Schutz isn't one of them.

Utah
11-16-2013, 11:38 PM
The season is not an "AMAZING SUCCESS" and it wouldn't be were we to win the last two games. That's absurd. Please, no Kyle apologetics.

Regardless, I've been a big Kyle supporter. But the main thing that discourages me is the almost consistent inability to develop an even reliable quarterback. Maybe Kyle's just been really unlucky.

I agree with you here. This is Kyle's chink. I am stunned that Cox was here in the Spring, and Manning supposedly looked so good in the fall....yet he trots Schutz out there. Not good enough. It may cost Kyle his job (although I think you give him one more year after this year if he makes a bowl).

Utah
11-16-2013, 11:40 PM
Not after we got to 4-2 by beating Stanford. Who cares what people thought in August.

We're not far from being a very good team. I think we can all agree on that. A successful season? Only the most myopic among us would call 6-6 successful.

Had we stayed healthy, we would have a lot more wins than we do now. We are what we are: a MWC team that has good #1's, but we still aren't deep enough yet. Once Wilson, Tonga and Murphy went down, the season ended for us. If you thought that we were good enough to lose half our offense to injury and still compete with USC/ASU/Oregon...I feel bad for you. It's just not realistic.

The Stanford win was awesome. But then we got hurt. It sucks.

SeattleUte
11-16-2013, 11:42 PM
Schutz is your QB. You aren't winning today. I am ok with playing to keep the score close. You are coaching kids. You have to keep them motivated, or WSU will destroy you. You have to leave this game with positives, things to build these kids back up. You have to beat WSU to have a successful season. Keeping the score close will help you do so. Going for 4th and 1 and not getting it, and losing by a bigger margin does nothing to help.

Schutz is the 109th ranked QB with the adj QBR. He isn't good. He sucks. Big time. Don't kid yourself. He isn't good.

I won't agree with you about play calling in this game. If you want to discuss why in the world Schutz is your backup and not Manning/Cox/Thomas, then I'll have that discussion. That is the biggest mistake of the season. Thinking that a walk on is good enough. This isn't the MWC. This is big boy football. You need big boy players. Schutz isn't one of them.

How many times have we seen this story? Except for 2008 and 2009 (in 2009 it was a true freshman), every year since 2004 we've had a walk on quarterbacking us this time of year. That's not acceptable.

SoCalPat
11-16-2013, 11:43 PM

What a bunch of senseless mumbo jumbo. If we're so concerned about margin of defeat, why don't we onside kick after scoring our last TD?

SeattleUte
11-16-2013, 11:52 PM
You guys need to disabuse yourselves of the expectation that the Utes will win next week. I live in Washington; I know the intensity that Mike Leach and Wasu fans bring to the game. Pullman is an awful place to play (just ask Sarkesian). Leach is an amazing coach. Wasu is a program on the rise. It won at Arizona and and at USC. Schultz is our qb. Vegas will give the Utes points next week and I for one am not optimistic about that game. I haven't been all season.

OrangeUte
11-16-2013, 11:54 PM
This year hinges on wazzou next week. Kyle v. his good buddy Leach. I can't wait for Saturday to get here.

sancho
11-17-2013, 12:01 AM
You guys need to disabuse yourselves of the expectation that the Utes will win next week. I live in Washington; I know the intensity that Mike Leach and Wasu fans bring to the game. Pullman is an awful place to play (just ask Sarkesian). Leach is an amazing coach. Wasu is a program on the rise. It won at Arizona and and at USC. Schultz is our qb. Vegas will give the Utes points next week and I for one am not optimistic about that game. I haven't been all season.

Come on. The game is a toss up. Both teams are motivated. Both teams are well coached. Neither team is a juggernaut.

SeattleUte
11-17-2013, 12:02 AM
This year hinges on wazzou next week. Kyle v. his good buddy Leach. I can't wait for Saturday to get here.

I am not optimistic. By the way, I don't think they are buddies. It woudn't surprise me if Leach absolutely hates Whit, and I'd hate to have a beast like Leach hating me.

SeattleUte
11-17-2013, 12:03 AM
Come on. The game is a toss up. Both teams are motivated. Both teams are well coached. Neither team is a juggernaut.

Fair enough. Where is the game being played? Vegas will not rate it a toss up.

sancho
11-17-2013, 12:04 AM
a beast like Leach

I think you like this guy a little too much. He's a fine coach with a quirky personality. He's not a genius, a beast, or a mastermind.

SoCalPat
11-17-2013, 12:05 AM

Couldn't agree more. And Leach is just like any other Zoob ... put him in front-runner status and he'll bury you. If we're careless with the ball, this could be a worse defeat than Oregon.

SoCalPat
11-17-2013, 12:10 AM
Fair enough. Where is the game being played? Vegas will not rate it a toss up.

Before this week, Sagarin would've had it as a pick 'em game, even after adjustment for home field thrown in.

After this week's results, I think Vegas opens this game at WSU -3. I think early and late money will come in on WSU and the Cougs will be -4 at kickoff.

SeattleUte
11-17-2013, 12:12 AM
I think you like this guy a little too much. He's a fine coach with a quirky personality. He's not a genius, a beast, or a mastermind.

I'm just basing it on that he's got Wasu 5-5 in less than two years with big wins vs. Washington and at Arizona and at USC after what he did at Texas Tech. He thrives at programs that feel disrespected. A guy with a perpetual chip on his shoulder (he no doubt picked that up at BYU) made for chip on their shoulder programs. He's scary.

sancho
11-17-2013, 12:22 AM
I'm just basing it on that he's got Wasu 5-5 in less than two years

It's a huge game for him, that's for sure. A bowl game would earn him time and patience and would be a boost in every part of the rebuild. A 5-7 finish would keep the pressure on for next year.

Viking
11-17-2013, 03:26 AM
One close game that could have gone your way v OSU, ditto ASU, the Utes would be 3-4 in the PAC12, with a shot at two more wins to get to 5-4 and probably finishing in the top 4-5 in the PAC12.

Not bad at all.

Take courage, Utes! At least you don't have to watch your team play some sorry ass high school mid-major from Pocatello in the middle of November, when we should be contesting a conference championship.

I hope you give Kyle a long, long leash because he's doing a great job. I bet in 5 years, Utah will consistently compete for PAC12 championships, because Whit has the eye of the tiger.

Meanwhile, you can all catch the ridiculousness of Cougar fans boasting their TV contract and victories over ISU. Good grief.

USS Utah
11-17-2013, 11:48 AM

Getting bowl eligible was the #1 goal. Reaching that goal would be a success.

I didn't adjust my expectations after the Stanford win.

USS Utah
11-17-2013, 11:51 AM
I agree with you here. This is Kyle's chink. I am stunned that Cox was here in the Spring, and Manning supposedly looked so good in the fall....yet he trots Schutz out there. Not good enough. It may cost Kyle his job (although I think you give him one more year after this year if he makes a bowl).

How long does it take to develop a reliable QB? Do you do it by trotting out true freshman? After trying that twice (Wynn & Wilson) with mixed results, would you try it a third time?

Damn right he sent Schulz out there.

justaute
11-17-2013, 12:01 PM
I'm much more inclined to indict the o-line. Irrespective of who's the QB, a decent o-line is absolutely a prerequisite. That said, a reliable, consistent QB still would be a plus. Of course, if we had a decent o-line, would Wilson still be on the sideline and would Wynn have been injured so badly? So many what-if.

Viking
11-17-2013, 12:04 PM

Oh, man. The thought of Kyle losing his job makes me very happy. How about in 2-3 years? He'll be welcomed in Provo, once again.

Utah
11-17-2013, 04:38 PM
How long does it take to develop a reliable QB? Do you do it by trotting out true freshman? After trying that twice (Wynn & Wilson) with mixed results, would you try it a third time?

Damn right he sent Schulz out there.

You play the QB that gives you a chance to win. Walk on QB's don't give you a chance to win in the PAC-12. This year or next. Manning/Cox might not be good enough this year, but can be later.

Utah
11-17-2013, 04:41 PM
I'm much more inclined to indict the o-line. Irrespective of who's the QB, a decent o-line is absolutely a prerequisite. That said, a reliable, consistent QB still would be a plus. Of course, if we had a decent o-line, would Wilson still be on the sideline and would Wynn have been injured so badly? So many what-if.

I think Utah's biggest setback was losing Tim Davis.

U-Ute
11-18-2013, 08:50 AM

I feel like the o-line performed well against Oregon. Much better then they have been at least.

I find it more than curious that their improvement happened the same week Murphy returned, especially since their performance drop happened at the same time he was injured.

sancho
11-18-2013, 08:54 AM
I find it more than curious that their improvement happened the same week Murphy returned, especially since their performance drop happened at the same time he was injured.

I know. I'm not used to thinking of TEs as blockers. Fantasy football and guys like Jimmy Graham are making me think of them as WRs with a different name. Glad to have Murphy back. Hope he can develop some good timing and chemistry with Schulz this week.

Applejack
11-18-2013, 08:55 AM
I feel like the o-line performed well against Oregon. Much better then they have been at least.

It's really nice to have Murphy back. I'm excited for his senior year (along with Kenneth and DrizyDrez) - we should have the receivers, if we can find someone to throw them the ball.