PDA

View Full Version : My Plea to the GOP

Dawminator
11-11-2013, 12:11 PM
With the absolute failure implementation of Obamacare, topped off by Obama's lies about keeping your doctor and continuing to maintain that it was our fault for not understanding correctly, the democrats are on the ropes. 2014 could be a political disaster for the democrats as 12 moderate dems are up for re-election in the senate. Taking the senate and keeping the house would destroy the little that was left of any chance Obama had to build credibility as the President. He has shown time and time again that he does not have what it takes to work with those he disagrees with.

If the GOP wants to crush the democrats in the coming year they have to do two important things. First, keep talking about Obamacare in all ugly details. More and more people are going to find out that their plans were cancelled. I honestly believe that democrats built the program to fail in hopes that they could say, "see, we tried to find a middle ground, but our only option is single payer." Bernie Sanders and Barney Frank have both all but said as much. The GOP needs to keep pressure on the fact that this was the democrats doing and that is bad for the country.

Second, the GOP needs to be more socially moderate. I doubt they have the ability to do this and this is why I think they will fail. There are good compromises out there on issues like SSM that could be reached and make the GOP look like heroes. Propose those compromises to go a long with sound fiscal policy and continued heat on the democrats for Obamacare and the GOP will take the senate and keep the house.

I doubt they can do it, but I hope they prove me wrong.

USS Utah
11-11-2013, 12:24 PM

OrangeUte
11-22-2013, 09:24 AM
That button image says it all.

If the GOP or to do what I thought they were going to do under Romney and Ryan, embrace Clinton's fiscal sense of responsibility (yes, Congressman Ryan actually used Clinton as a good example in a speech) and move to be more inclusive on social issues, they would dominate the Democrats.

Likewise, if the Democrats would move more toward what JFK was in terms of fiscal responsibility, they would dominate.

I do not understand the sense that both parties have the need to embrace one extreme side of the political spectrum or the other. Good governance, in my opinion, nearly always comes from the middle.

The anger that both sides show sickens me. I truly do not believe that we have any statesman or stateswomen left running our country. By that I mean an individual who is respected as larger-than-life, responsible, patriotic, trustworthy, even if we don't agree with every position they hold.

The right seems to think that if you don't value the Second Amendment above everything else, loathe any kind of taxation and spending no matter, then you are a sissy and a liberal.

The left seems like it has never grown up or experience the real world. It panders too much to the underprivileged without really demanding any responsibility from them.

U-Ute
11-22-2013, 10:05 AM
I do not understand the sense that both parties have the need to embrace one extreme side of the political spectrum or the other.

This is why...

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-november-11-2013/not-so-angry-voters

UtahDan
11-22-2013, 10:17 AM
They can't because Evangelicals are still their core and it is precisely those issues that animate them.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

UtahDan
11-22-2013, 10:19 AM
Jonathan Haidt has some fascinating things to say about conservative and liberal views of morality. I get some links when I'm near my desk top. But it hugely explains the divide.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk