PDA

View Full Version : The 2013 Global Sports Hoops Showcase Thread (Savananah State, Grand Canyon & Lamar)

LA Ute
11-16-2013, 09:22 PM
I'm taking a page from Applejack's book and starting a thread for the upcoming tournament/round robin/whatever it is. Anybody have any idea about these teams? I have at least heard of Lamar. I think I have heard of Grand Canyon but I am not sure.

The games are on Nov. 21 (Grand Canyon), 22 (Lamar) and 23 (Savannah State). It will be good for the team to have some experience playing several games on consecutive days.

sancho
11-16-2013, 09:47 PM
The games are on Nov. 21 (Grand Canyon), 22 (Lamar) and 23 (Savannah State). It will be good for the team to have some experience playing several games on consecutive days.

Grand Canyon won 91-41 today...vs W New Mexico. Still, they can apparently score if given the chance.

SoCalPat
11-17-2013, 12:50 AM
I'm taking a page from Applejack's book and starting a thread for the upcoming tournament/round robin/whatever it is. Anybody have any idea about these teams? I have at least heard of Lamar. I think I have heard of Grand Canyon but I am not sure.

Because we're joining the NBA after Jan. 1?

LA Ute
11-17-2013, 08:02 AM
Because we're joining the NBA after Jan. 1?

Because that's what happens in the PAC-12 tournament, which most of these guys have not been through. Not to mention the NCAA tournament, which yes, is still a ways off; but the experience can't hurt.

Applejack
11-17-2013, 08:35 AM
I love that this tournament is called the Global Sports Hoops Showcase. It is certainly not (a) Global, nor (b) a showcase. In fact, given the teams coming to the Hunty this week I'm not sure we can really call the game to be played "hoops." I think they should have just called it "Sports."

LA Ute
11-17-2013, 08:59 AM
I love that this tournament is called the Global Sports Hoops Showcase. It is certainly not (a) Global, nor (b) a showcase. In fact, given the teams coming to the Hunty this week I'm not sure we can really call the game to be played "hoops." I think they should have just called it "Sports."

I think the tournament/round robin/whatever is sponsored by an entity named Global Sports. There are tournaments with the same name going on at other universities.

SoCalPat
11-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Because that's what happens in the PAC-12 tournament, which most of these guys have not been through. Not to mention the NCAA tournament, which yes, is still a ways off; but the experience can't hurt.

I could concede your point about the Pac-12 tournament, although consecutive games affects everyone and we will not be playing guys 30-plus minutes in these games like we would in Vegas. And since when has the NCAA Tournament played games on consecutive days, much less three?

LA Ute
11-17-2013, 03:32 PM
I could concede your point about the Pac-12 tournament, although consecutive games affects everyone and we will not be playing guys 30-plus minutes in these games like we would in Vegas. And since when has the NCAA Tournament played games on consecutive days, much less three?

Brain cramp on the NCAA tournament. Look, I was joking about a silver lining in playing three crappy teams in three days.

SoCalPat
11-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Brain cramp on the NCAA tournament. Look, I was joking about a silver lining in playing three crappy teams in three days.

I can forgive you for the brain cramp. It's been a while since we've played a second game in the NCAAs.

Applejack
11-18-2013, 07:27 AM
This is a big weekend for Utes hoops. I don't want to take anything for granted, but it sure would be nice to see Xan Ricketts hoisting the "Sports" trophy above his head on Saturday.

First things first: GRAND Canyon U. Did you know that Thunder Dan Majerle is the coach of GCU? Did you know that GCU is in the WAC? Neither did I. In fact, I didn't know much about GCU before today. It turns out, that GCU is very similar to another opponent that we will be facing later in the year - the Brigham Young Cougars. To wit:

1. Like BYU, GCU integrates their "Christian Worldview (http://www.gcu.edu/Christian-Worldview.php) into everything [they] do." I presume that means that they don't teach stuff like evolution, geology, and science.
2. Like BYU, GCU focuses on practical job training in areas such as nursing and business (http://www.gcu.edu/Academics.php).
3. Both schools play in athletic conferences that have very high player/fan ratios.
4. They both play in conferences with a number of schools that sound fake, like Chicago State and U of Portland.
5. Both schools rely on highly regarded transfers in the backcourt. GCU's Demetrius Walker (formerly of New Mexico and Arizona State) was the focus of a Sports Illustrated article when he was 14 that declared him "the next Lebron (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1104412/)." I haven't seen him play, but I doubt he's as good as Lebron James.
6. Both teams have struggled on the road against WCC opponents. GCU has lost this year to San Diego (road) and Loyola Marymount (neutral). They did put the beat down on Western New Mexico.

I like our chances on Thursday!

LA Ute
11-18-2013, 08:14 AM
This is a big weekend for Utes hoops. I don't want to take anything for granted, but it sure would be nice to see Xan Ricketts hoisting the "Sports" trophy above his head on Saturday.

First things first: GRAND Canyon U. Did you know that Thunder Dan Majerle is the coach of GCU? Did you know that GCU is in the WAC? Neither did I. In fact, I didn't know much about GCU before today. It turns out, that GCU is very similar to another opponent that we will be facing later in the year - the Brigham Young Cougars. To wit:

1. Like BYU, GCU integrates their "Christian Worldview (http://www.gcu.edu/Christian-Worldview.php) into everything [they] do." I presume that means that they don't teach stuff like evolution, geology, and science.
2. Like BYU, GCU focuses on practical job training in areas such as nursing and business (http://www.gcu.edu/Academics.php).
3. Both schools play in athletic conferences that have very high player/fan ratios.
4. They both play in conferences with a number of schools that sound fake, like Chicago State and U of Portland.
5. Both schools rely on highly regarded transfers in the backcourt. GCU's Demetrius Walker (formerly of New Mexico and Arizona State) was the focus of a Sports Illustrated article when he was 14 that declared him "the next Lebron (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1104412/)." I haven't seen him play, but I doubt he's as good as Lebron James.
6. Both teams have struggled on the road against WCC opponents. GCU has lost this year to San Diego (road) and Loyola Marymount (neutral). They did put the beat down on Western New Mexico.

I like our chances on Thursday!

Be careful, AJ. If you make fun of BYU here and are neutral or friendly on that other board, there will be consequences.

Applejack
11-18-2013, 08:21 AM
Be careful, AJ. If you make fun of BYU here and are neutral or friendly on that other board, there will be consequences.

Who is making fun? I'm just trying to get Ute fans up to speed with our opponents.

SoCalPat
11-18-2013, 08:29 AM

Applejack is the best poster on this board. He can be quite analytic, but he's 100 times funnier than anyone else here.

Applejack
11-18-2013, 08:32 AM
Applejack is the best poster on this board. He can be quite analytic, but he's 100 times funnier than anyone else here.

:troll:

LA Ute
11-18-2013, 08:40 AM

Gotta tune up your irony meter, SCP!

Who is making fun? I'm just trying to get Ute fans up to speed with our opponents.

I know. But some people not on UB5 are very sensitive. 941

roseparkutes
11-18-2013, 10:15 PM
better go 3-0! Grand Canyon really what are they d3?

SoCalPat
11-18-2013, 11:06 PM
better go 3-0! Grand Canyon really what are they d3?

They're in the WAC. D-1.

U-Ute
11-19-2013, 09:46 AM
I thought they sounded familiar. We played them in 2010 - Boylen's final year. We crushed them 72-48.

http://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2010-2011/ut-gcu.html

Ah the hope that sprung from such an incredulous victory. It was the springboard to our 4-0 start!

It must've been the victory over Montana 5 days later that got Utah on K's radar.

Applejack
11-19-2013, 11:55 AM
I thought they sounded familiar. We played them in 2010 - Boylen's final year. We crushed them 72-48.

Ah the hope that sprung from such an incredulous victory. It was the springboard to our 4-0 start!

It must've been the victory over Montana 5 days later that got Utah on K's radar.

Do I smell a rivalry developing?

Applejack
11-20-2013, 12:23 PM
OK, game day eve. Let's talk coaching. Both teams are coached by former NBA superstars. Here is Coach Dan Majerle promoting this year's 'lopes (I believe that is pronounced "LOW-ps and not "LOW-pez", but I leave that decision to our broadcast team).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0BhrGkqOuM

Has he had work done? If so, it was quality work. Anyway, this is Thunder Dan's first year at the helm and he's off to a rough start, having lost at Portland and San Diego while defeating W. New Mexico at home. GCU could probably use Dan on the court, as they are shooting 3s at a 29% clip on the year. Demetrius Walker, the 6''2 "next Lebron" averages 19 points on 51% shooting, but he only shoots 31% from behind the arc. Basically, he's a 75% shooter on twos, but prefers to launch 3s.

Senioritis
11-20-2013, 02:28 PM
Thyroid will make his triumphant debut tomorrow evening. Based on his performance during his first game last year, I weep for GCU!

Rocker Ute
11-20-2013, 02:35 PM
Thyroid will make his triumphant debut tomorrow evening. Based on his performance during his first game last year, I weep for GCU!

Never has there been a player I've wanted to be my favorite player more than Bachynski. It is an unhealthy relationship.

Rocker Ute
11-20-2013, 02:42 PM

They'll be back for blood. This is a classic trap game... in that I might get my foot trapped in the row in front of me when I hang my legs over the seat while watching.

Also, can I lodge my first formal complaint this basketball season? When you throw the mini balls, don't just give them to the kids on the first 4 or 5 rows, those little pricks have everything. Throw them up to rows 14-18 where we sit in relative poverty. Against the Geoducks (which was probably her 4th game ever) my 6yo daughter sadly proclaimed, "I keep coming to these games and I always come back with NOTHING... sigh."

No father should ever have to explain that to his daughter.

LA Ute
11-20-2013, 02:43 PM
Never has there been a player I've wanted to be my favorite player more than Bachynski. It is an unhealthy relationship.

I love Bachynski the Monster. I lack patience for Bachynski the Stiff. I hope to see a lot more of the former than the latter this season.

Diehard Ute
11-20-2013, 02:44 PM
They'll be back for blood. This is a classic trap game... in that I might get my foot trapped in the row in front of me when I hang my legs over the seat while watching.

Also, can I lodge my first formal complaint this basketball season? When you throw the mini balls, don't just give them to the kids on the first 4 or 5 rows, those little pricks have everything. Throw them up to rows 14-18 where we sit in relative poverty. Against the Geoducks (which was probably her 4th game ever) my 6yo daughter sadly proclaimed, "I keep coming to these games and I always come back with NOTHING... sigh."

I've been sitting on row 31 for 34 years, don't give me that mid level poverty crap!

U-Ute
11-20-2013, 02:54 PM

When I was a student there, we went to all of the football and basketball games. I always worked hard to get to try and those basketballs. I think in the hundreds of games I went to, I got 4 or 5 balls. Now that I'm relegated to the upper bowl, I make my kids run down the aisles to fight for them. It hones those survival instincts.

On the flip side, I have more footballs than I can ever remember getting. They were a lot easier to get back then when there was only us and the other 195 students in the first 10 rows of Rice Stadium. But now I'm paying for my efforts. I swear they are reproducing like Tribbles. Roughly 20 years later, I still see them rolling around the house as my kids find them.

Rocker Ute
11-20-2013, 04:26 PM
I've been sitting on row 31 for 34 years, don't give me that mid level poverty crap!

We've been moving down to the 14-18 row since well.... Boylen's third year. We've avoid eye contact and if anyone questions whether we should be sitting there (hasn't happened yet) we have a plan to throw our popcorn at them and run for it.

Actually there is a part of section Y that is right on midcourt and almost every seat from about 7-20 is empty and you can easily get 4 or 5 in a row without encroaching on legit ticket purchasers. You should come sit with us. My kids are very well-behaved and well-mannered which is obviously nothing like me, so I'm questioning their paternity, but not too hard, my wife married to me is the best scam I have going on right now.

I'm of the opinion that everybody should move down close after the first 7 or 8 minutes and pack in the heat.

I'm also of the opinion that they should just give away upper bowl tickets until demand is otherwise and encourage people to buy concessions. I'd love to see that place filled.

Applejack
11-21-2013, 07:32 AM
I'm also of the opinion that they should just give away upper bowl tickets until demand is otherwise and encourage people to buy concessions. I'd love to see that place filled.

They are essentially following your advice

Admission to the tournament is a non-perishable food item that will be donated to the Utah Food Bank. Fans will have the option to purchase a seat in the lower bowl for $5. This offer is also valid for next week’s game against Ball State.

Mormon Red Death
11-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Can anyone get the video to work?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Mormon Red Death
11-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Why isn't this game on the PAC 12 network Rocky Mountain?

sancho
11-21-2013, 07:35 PM
Can anyone get the video to work?

It works for me:

http://pac-12.com/videos/university-utah

Mormon Red Death
11-21-2013, 07:41 PM
They finally figured out how to put the scoreboard in the left-hand corner. Before the PAC 12 network when I would watch the games I would always wonder what the score was

Mormon Red Death
11-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Who is the guy they just showed on the jumbotron?

Mormon Red Death
11-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Who is the guy they just showed on the jumbotron?

Talking about his favorite move?

Mormon Red Death
11-21-2013, 08:09 PM
I know the competition sucks but this team is fun to watch. Delon Wright might end up as my favorite player ever

LA Ute
11-21-2013, 08:21 PM
How do we log on to the jumbotron feed?

Mormon Red Death
11-21-2013, 08:22 PM
How do we log on to the jumbotron feed?

See Sanchis post above he has the link. Its halftime

sancho
11-21-2013, 08:29 PM
Does anyone else think we give up a lot of open threes? Seems like we have in all our games so far. Luckily, they don't go down for our opposition.

LA Ute
11-21-2013, 08:34 PM
See Sanchis post above he has the link. Its halftime

Thanks, I found it.

LA Ute
11-21-2013, 08:47 PM
Wow, you're right, MRD, D. Wright is really fun to watch.

LA Ute
11-21-2013, 08:54 PM
J.O. looks like he didn't spend as much off-season time in the weight room as he should have.

LA Ute
11-21-2013, 09:01 PM
Botched slam is a little embarrassing.

justaute
11-21-2013, 09:20 PM
Bachynski to me is the proverbial bull-in-the-china-shop. He's big and mobile, but doesn't have the finer hand-eye/motor skills; and, I don't think he has the basketball knowledge. I think Bach is more "athletic" than Doleac, but without the shooting touch, nor does he appear to be a student of the game. I may be wrong on the latter.

SeattleUte
11-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Is this live video available every game?

justaute
11-21-2013, 09:30 PM
Is this live video available every game?

I don't think so. U streamed the game because Pac-12 didn't pick it up, I believe.

SeattleUte
11-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Wow, you're right, MRD, D. Wright is really fun to watch.

8-8 fgs.

Loverage 15 rbs.

roseparkutes
11-21-2013, 10:05 PM
wow really? iv never heard of them

Diehard Ute
11-21-2013, 10:13 PM
Why isn't this game on the PAC 12 network Rocky Mountain?

The PAC has agreed not to play For Profit Universities. Since GCU is such a school the network could not (or would not) air it

Applejack
11-22-2013, 07:37 AM
Once I found out that the game was not on THEPAC, I decided to spend time enjoying nature instead of watching the jumbotron (too many flashbacks of Jiggy). How did we look? Wright and JLover are the business; how did everyone else look?

Applejack
11-22-2013, 08:11 AM
OK, no time to rest on our laurels after last night's epic victory: we host Lamar tonight and the game is on the Television!

Unlike GCU (and presumably Savannah State who I haven't researched yet), Lamar actually brings a modicum of basketball tradition to the Hunty tonight. In fact, Lamar has reached the Sweet Sixteen during my lifetime (1980), when they were coached by the legendary combover atop Billy Tubbs' head:
http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/05/67/75/1539927/3/628x471.jpg

Now, Lamar is led by the even less legendary Pat Knight. [Sidenote: is Savannah St. coached by Larry Eustachy? This entire tournament should be called Global Where Are They Now Coach Spotlight Sports]. In his first year as coach, Young Patty led the Cardinals to their first twenty win season in 25 years and a "First Four" NCAA berth (and loss) against the Vermont Catamounts. Pat followed up on his triumphant reintroduction to the Texas coaching scene with a 3-28 stinker last year, including a 1-17 mark in the brutal Southland conference (University of the Incarnate Word has a mean zone press).

Which brings us to this year. Lamar beat Savannah State last night. whoppity doo. Their previous games have been a murderer's row of opponents compared to our high-fat preseason diet: Butler, George Mason, and Washington State (all double digit losses). This will be their first game against a beatable, but more talented opponent.

So it looks like this game is for all of the cheap marbles that this tournament has to offer. Let's throw a proverbial folding chair at Pat Knight!

UBlender
11-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Once I found out that the game was not on THEPAC, I decided to spend time enjoying nature instead of watching the jumbotron (too many flashbacks of Jiggy). How did we look? Wright and JLover are the business; how did everyone else look?

Van Dyke looked good, he shot the ball well and just generally plays smart and in control. I thought Taylor had a bit of an off night (got T'd up for jawing at a 'Lope) and Tucker wasn't at his best either.

Onwas had 7 boards off the bench and did some nice things but struggled finishing (the highlight being a high-flying dunk attempt where he got stuffed by the rim).

The three headed monster at center brought some good things and bad things. The highlight to me was Bachynski with 10 rebounds in limited minutes. He missed some easy buckets and wasn't good at the line but he was very active and reminded me a little of his good self from early last season.

As a team, free throw shooting was awful. Turnovers were a bit high as well.

Wright was electric again and Loveridge was steady, although he did try to force things a few times where he didn't need to.

It's kind of nice that I feel like as a team we didn't play that great and several key players were not sharp, yet we still beat a D1 team by 25. It's just a far cry from the last couple of years is all.

Applejack
11-22-2013, 08:32 AM
Van Dyke looked good, he shot the ball well and just generally plays smart and in control. I thought Taylor had a bit of an off night (got T'd up for jawing at a 'Lope) and Tucker wasn't at his best either.

Onwas had 7 boards off the bench and did some nice things but struggled finishing (the highlight being a high-flying dunk attempt where he got stuffed by the rim).

The three headed monster at center brought some good things and bad things. The highlight to me was Bachynski with 10 rebounds in limited minutes. He missed some easy buckets and wasn't good at the line but he was very active and reminded me a little of his good self from early last season.

Wright was electric again and Loveridge was steady, although he did try to force things a few times where he didn't need to.

It's kind of nice that I feel like as a team we didn't play that great and several key players were not sharp, yet we still beat a D1 team by 25. It's just a far cry from the last couple of years is all.

I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised by the early results on Van Dyke. I think Batshitinski has potential as a short minute energy guy. Let him go in there for 6 minute stretches, grab some boards, alter some shots, crack the backboard on layups, and generally intimidate the opponents with his fierce demeanor. Our post play will go as Lenz and Olson go, but Batshit hopefully can provide 12 minutes a game of good change of pace.

SeattleUte
11-22-2013, 08:33 AM

Taylor rested a lot to give playing time to reserves. I liked how he played the point while in there.

sancho
11-22-2013, 08:36 AM
We saw a glimpse of what the offense will look like when there is defense being played against it. What we saw is that everything depends on Wright.

Wright still hasn't taken a jump shot this year. Y'all told me that he can shoot - he has to start taking them. I don't think it's a switch that one can just turn on when needed.

I think the big men did a better job with rebounding? Olsen had another cheap foul or two.

LA Ute
11-22-2013, 08:43 AM
They clearly have things to work on. FT shooting has got to get better or we'll lose some close games because of it. I was amazed at the long cross-court passes I saw. And there were a lot of TOs against an inferior team. I love watching Wright but Sancho is right, if all Delon can do is drive and distribute, good teams will start exploiting that and dare him to shoot from outside while closing lanes off from him.

sancho
11-22-2013, 08:48 AM
I love watching Wright but Sancho is right, if all Delon can do is drive and distribute, good teams will start exploiting that and dare him to shoot from outside while closing lanes off from him.

I think he can do more than that but isn't right now because he doesn't have to. That's the hope anyway. It's the wrong approach, though. He needs to be taking and making shots in real games. I could be wrong. He's basically a superman in every other way - maybe he can just turn it on with a switch when we play Boise State.

If I'm wrong, and he has not shot, he can still be the team MVP just with everything else he can do.

UtahsMrSports
11-22-2013, 09:17 AM
A couple thoughts:

-Delon Wright is shooting an obviously not sustainable 91% from the field this year. He got to the lane at will against GC. I am anxious to see how he responds against teams that have the ability to stop his drives. Can he hit a jumper? One of his two misses this season was his only three point attempt.

-I was really impressed by Dallin B. He rebounded well, he challenged shots, and he was tough. If he is willing to go out there and battle like that every night and not worry about how many shots he gets, Id like him to be the primary backup at center. (I know, I know, its just grand canyon)

-Loveridge is just an animal and is going to be a matchup problem for other teams most nights.

-Remember when some ridiculed Larry for signing a "WCC player" like Brandon Taylor. LOL!

-Awesome, awesome, awesome to see so many kids at the game last night. To me, Utah is and always will be a basketball school. Love seeing young fans there!

U-Ute
11-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Now, Lamar is led by the even less legendary Pat Knight. [Sidenote: is Savannah St. coached by Larry Eustachy?

According to his Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Eustachy), Larry is at CSU.

Senioritis
11-22-2013, 09:55 AM
A few more thoughts:

THYROID!!! 10 rebounds in 12 minutes, 4 of the worst free throws you'll see in Div 1 basketball this year, overflowing with piss and vinegar. What is not to love?

Utah is a horrible screening team. Really. Especially off the ball screening. Not only do the Utes not make "contact" with the opposition, they are not even "close" to making contact with the opposition. It's slightly, slightly better on-ball. Slightly. The only exception to this is THYROID!

This will be a theme all year, but size is going to be an issue. There's just so much overlap between Lenz, Olsen, and Thyroid, that it's going to be tough to play any of them together for any significant time. I love Love, but 6'6" 215 at the 4 ain't going to get it done every night in conference play.

PVD can shoot the freaking basketball.

I love the way the offense moves with Wright and Taylor on the floor together. Two creators, tough to guard. I'm interested to watch the Assists/FG ratio this year. There's a few guys who can create their own shot, and it's a luxury Utah hasn't had in quite some time. Last night, 29 FG and 14 A. I wonder where Krysko wants that number, or if he even cares.

Xan Ricketts gets 1 minute in the box score for playing the last 3.6 seconds of the game. Rounding UP!

Applejack
11-22-2013, 10:08 AM
Xan Ricketts gets 1 minute in the box score for playing the last 3.6 seconds of the game. Rounding UP!

How are we pronouncing this? I prefer Ex-An, for toughness, but I could be persuaded to adopt Zhan in a sing-songy tone, as an homage to our previous hoops star from the Orient, Ma Jian.

I refuse to say Zan. Too pedestrian.

Senioritis
11-22-2013, 10:21 AM
How are we pronouncing this? I prefer Ex-An, for toughness, but I could be persuaded to adopt Zhan in a sing-songy tone, as an homage to our previous hoops star from the Orient, Ma Jian.

I refuse to say Zan. Too pedestrian.

Ex-An. Sounds like somebody from Mortal Combat.

SoCalPat
11-22-2013, 10:41 AM
Delon Wright is shooting an obviously not sustainable 91% from the field this year. He got to the lane at will against GC. I am anxious to see how he responds against teams that have the ability to stop his drives. Can he hit a jumper? One of his two misses this season was his only three point attempt.

If Wright has a post-up game, now would be a good time to see it. You have to play Taylor more straight up because he can shoot, but Wright could be a major problem in the low block because he can distribute so well. If he can hit from 10-12 feet, we might not ever need him to take 3s.

SeattleUte
11-22-2013, 05:53 PM
Can somebody get me the link for tonight's video feed for the game?

Diehard Ute
11-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Can somebody get me the link for tonight's video feed for the game?

It's on the Pac12 Network so the link would be whatever your cable/satellite provider usually uses.

Last nights feed was a one time thing because if the opponent.

LA Ute
11-22-2013, 08:05 PM
Delon is going to get to the FT line often this season. It looks like he's a good FT shooter. That warms my heart.

LA Ute
11-22-2013, 08:11 PM
It's been a while since a Utah basketball team was this much fun to watch. Delon alone is worth the price of admission.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-22-2013, 08:13 PM
It's been a while since a Utah basketball team was this much fun to watch. Delon alone is worth the price of admission.

Yes he is. I love when he just tends to lull his guy to the middle and then blows past him on the outside for the easy lay up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

LA Ute
11-22-2013, 08:13 PM
Oh my goodness, we have a transition game.

Dwight Schr-Ute
11-22-2013, 08:18 PM
Bachynski with the skills!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

hostile
11-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Haven't seen them live yet. I'm splitting tickets with my FIL. They leave SL after Christmas for Palm Springs which means I have all the tickets for conference. :rockon:

LA Ute
11-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Just happened to notice the UCLA-Morehead State game. Morehead's starting point guard is...Kareem Storey.

Jarid in Cedar
11-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Just happened to notice the UCLA-Morehead State game. Morehead's starting point guard is...Kareem Storey.

I was just going to post the same thing

Diehard Ute
11-23-2013, 07:42 AM
Anyone ever wonder where we'd be if the Bucks hadn't swiped Krysto away the first time around?

Rocker Ute
11-23-2013, 08:09 AM
Anyone ever wonder where we'd be if the Bucks hadn't swiped Krysto away the first time around?

An interesting question that should also consider if we would have gotten Tommy Conner as an assistant coach that time around... I had heard at the time that he was at Westminster because the coaching requirements met his young family requirements and with his kids older the second time around he felt like he could meet the strain that being part of a D1 program requires.

I personally believe that Tommy C is a critical part of what Kodiak is doing, and if Kodiak ever decided to leave I would be completely comfortable with Conner stepping into the HC position.

Rocker Ute
11-23-2013, 08:18 AM
If Wright has a post-up game, now would be a good time to see it. You have to play Taylor more straight up because he can shoot, but Wright could be a major problem in the low block because he can distribute so well. If he can hit from 10-12 feet, we might not ever need him to take 3s.

I think the unwritten tale of Wright is good shot selection and distribution. He seems to take the best shot or pass to someone who has a better shot. No I don't expect the 91% FG percentage to last, but I can see him ending the season with a very high one and a ton of assists.

Who knows if he has a mid-range shot because he has never had to take one, but like you said, if he can watch out.

I really like this team but I'm still reserved. What happens when we finally meet an opponent that can limit Wright? I think for the first time in a long time we have multiple threats on the floor but will wait to see what happens when real competition shows up.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 08:50 AM
I think the unwritten tale of Wright is good shot selection and distribution. He seems to take the best shot or pass to someone who has a better shot. No I don't expect the 91% FG percentage to last, but I can see him ending the season with a very high one and a ton of assists.

Who knows if he has a mid-range shot because he has never had to take one, but like you said, if he can watch out.

I really like this team but I'm still reserved. What happens when we finally meet an opponent that can limit Wright? I think for the first time in a long time we have multiple threats on the floor but will wait to see what happens when real competition shows up.

I've been thinking about this. It seems to me that Wright is a problem for opposing teams, and that is a good thing for us. It's been a while since we had someone like that. Opponents will set up schemes to neutralize Wright. We might see more zones, and be forced to shoot from outside. It will be interesting to see if we can capitalize on that. At least this year we have outside shooters (Taylor, Tucker) who can punish opponents who dare us to take those shots. Also, if opponents key on Wright, that's less pressure on Loveridge.

UtahsMrSports
11-23-2013, 09:08 AM

We would have been deprived of the "I WANT TO THANK MY WIFE, CAUSE IVE BEEN A JERK THIS WEEK!" or "WE BUILT THIS SCHEDULE FOR YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" rants. Those are as much a part of Ute-lore as Andre Miller and Alex Smith!

Scratch
11-23-2013, 09:59 AM
I've been thinking about this. It seems to me that Wright is a problem for opposing teams, and that is a good thing for us. It's been a while since we had someone like that. Opponents will set up schemes to neutralize Wright. We might see more zones, and be forced to shoot from outside. It will be interesting to see if we can capitalize on that. At least this year we have outside shooters (Taylor, Tucker) who can punish opponents who dare us to take those shots. Also, if opponents key on Wright, that's less pressure on Loveridge.

I'm optimistic that when teams scheme for Wright with zones, we can easily have 3 guys out there with him in Loveridge, Taylor, and Tucker who are very good threats from outside. Heck, throw Lenz in there and everyone would be capable of scoring from 15 out.

U-Ute
11-23-2013, 05:24 PM
At the Savannah Game tonight. Counting the 6 members of my family, there are at least dozens of people here.

Wright is the star of the show right now, but I am quickly becoming a fan of Onwas. He has some athleticism and can do a lot of things. Ogbe showed some offensive skills last night - when he wasn't lost. Really nice touch.

K is doing some good things. These guys look like a team. It will be interesting to see how that carries over when they play real completion.

The fact that I typed that last sentence speaks volumes of how far K has taken us.

U-Ute
11-23-2013, 05:35 PM
Big lineup: Taylor, Van Dyke, Tucker, Lenz, Olsen.

It will be interesting to see where the points come from.

U-Ute
11-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Jerry Sloan in the hizzy...

U-Ute
11-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Jerry Sloan in the hizzy...

He looks comfortable in red...

U-Ute
11-23-2013, 06:59 PM
Wright is talented, but Loveridge is the man on this team. When they need a couple of buckets to seal the win, it is #21.

SeattleUte
11-23-2013, 09:51 PM
Wright is talented, but Loveridge is the man on this team. When they need a couple of buckets to seal the win, it is #21.

The Utes must have been tired tonight.

Scratch
11-23-2013, 10:49 PM
The Utes must have been tired tonight.

We didn't shoot well, the offensive off-ball movement was a bit lacking, and we really need to work on setting better off-the-ball screens, but I was at least encouraged by the improved free throw shooting and decrease in turnovers.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 11:02 PM
I'll just stay consistent and say I hate the black road uniforms.

Diehard Ute
11-23-2013, 11:53 PM

I'm sure they hate you too

U-Ute
11-24-2013, 08:41 AM

Maybe you should just leave.

:)

LA Ute
11-24-2013, 09:06 AM
I'm sure they hate you too

That's fine with me. Bring it on, black unis!

Maybe you should just leave.

:)

If I leave I'll be wearing red on my way out the door. :p