PDA

View Full Version : Official Wazzu Thread: At least we have this going for us: 6-0 vs. Cougars since 2010

Pages : [1] 2

Applejack
11-17-2013, 08:42 AM
OK, the last few weeks have been fun, but now it's time to get back to the business of securing an exclusive bowl invitation. I've been saying all year that the WSU is not an automatic win - they are vastly improved this year, especially on defense.

I'm assuming Schultzy will be behind center on Saturday. Any word on Norris or York? Anyone making the trek to the Palouse?

sancho
11-17-2013, 03:29 PM
New Sagarin ratings are out. Utah is #26, WSU #34. We are the best 4-6 team, and they are the best 5-5 team. Should be a close game. Utah still #1 in SOS.

DrumNFeather
11-18-2013, 07:43 AM
Is this the official Wazzu thread?

Utah
11-18-2013, 07:45 AM
New Sagarin ratings are out. Utah is #26, WSU #34. We are the best 4-6 team, and they are the best 5-5 team. Should be a close game. Utah still #1 in SOS.

Man. It's too bad Wilson, Tonga, Murphy and Scott got hurt. Dang.

UTEopia
11-18-2013, 07:51 AM
This team will go up to Wazzu and fight their asses off. i have no doubt about that. The defense is going to need to get in Halliday's face and put him on his backside all day long and the OL will need to get physical and nasty and channel their inner Caleb Schlauderaff and push and shove and kick and spit and open some holes for Bubba and Lucky to run wild in. Schulz will need to play like he did against Oregon without the interception and Dres needs to catch the (*&%ing ball. Utes 31 - Wazzu 24

SoCalPat
11-18-2013, 08:24 AM
This game kinda reminds me of 2010 SDSU. We were reeling, having been blown out by TCU and Notre Dame. We had a huge home game against BYU the following week, a team that started off horribly but started gaining some steam (a la CU this year). SDSU was 7-3, had just played TCU to a 5-point game, its losses were by a total of 10 points (one of which was to BYU in Replay-Gate) and was going to a bowl for the first time in 12 years.

Wazzu is playing at home and looking for its first bowl in a decade and has some nice notches on its holster (Arizona and USC on the road -- ironically enough, where our current losing streak started). Simply put, we need to bring WSU back to reality, just like we did SDSU in 2010. The difference in beating the Aztecs was slim -- we couldn't defend the pass and we needed some big plays on special teams. More importantly, the Hail Mary to close out the first half was one of those "miracle" plays that essentially won the game for us. We need our own "miracle" against WSU and the best way I could imagine it happening is that we pick Halliday off at least three times and deliver a win by 7 or fewer points.

Applejack
11-18-2013, 08:26 AM
Is this the official Wazzu thread?

Yes. Mods, please add the word "OFFICIAL" to the title thread. TIA.

DrumNFeather
11-19-2013, 08:58 AM
There are two possible and obvious reactions by the team to the Wilson news. Somberness leading to a slow start and probably the season ending at 5-7. Or, rallying the troops and winning this one for Travis. If there is one thing I think Whit does better than just about any other coach, he rallies his teams via the disrespect card or whatever. I think he'll have this team ready to play and they'll come out firing. Throw out any sports cliche you want, because they all apply this week. Backs against the wall, no tomorrow, pull out all the stops etc. It's time for this Ute team to step up and show that it has some fight left in it.

Whit said he expects Wazzu to throw 40-50 times in the game, which means our DBs will be under pressure to make plays the whole game. And, it is paramount that we get pressure from our front four and make it a very uncomfortable afternoon for their QB.

Offensively, we've got to get back to what worked well against Stanford. We've got to set that edge and get our guys open in space. Our WRs need to do a better job of getting seperation and then holding on to the damn ball. We're going to need some long sustained chain moving drives. I think we can get this done.

No reason to hold anything back now!

sancho
11-19-2013, 09:13 AM
Whit said he expects Wazzu to throw 40-50 times in the game

I have to admit -- this is the only thing I know about WSU. They throw a ton, and Halliday leads the nation in interceptions. They are the only Pac-12 team I have not seen play this season. They have played some good games (Auburn, USC, Arizona) and have also been blown out a number of times (ASU, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State).

What else am I supposed to know about these Cougars? Any stand out names to watch for or worry about?

Applejack
11-19-2013, 09:24 AM
There are two possible and obvious reactions by the team to the Wilson news. Somberness leading to a slow start and probably the season ending at 5-7. Or, rallying the troops and winning this one for Travis. If there is one thing I think Whit does better than just about any other coach, he rallies his teams via the disrespect card or whatever. I think he'll have this team ready to play and they'll come out firing. Throw out any sports cliche you want, because they all apply this week. Backs against the wall, no tomorrow, pull out all the stops etc. It's time for this Ute team to step up and show that it has some fight left in it.

Whit said he expects Wazzu to throw 40-50 times in the game, which means our DBs will be under pressure to make plays the whole game. And, it is paramount that we get pressure from our front four and make it a very uncomfortable afternoon for their QB.

Offensively, we've got to get back to what worked well against Stanford. We've got to set that edge and get our guys open in space. Our WRs need to do a better job of getting seperation and then holding on to the damn ball. We're going to need some long sustained chain moving drives. I think we can get this done.

No reason to hold anything back now!

This game is going to be a dog fight. Both teams desperately need a win. I fully expect Whit to fire up our defense - it will be interesting to see if Mr. Spring Game Schultz can get it done.

sancho
11-19-2013, 09:30 AM
What else am I supposed to know about these Cougars? Any stand out names to watch for or worry about?

Follow up to my own question - how is Halliday throwing picks? Are people getting pressure on him? We have a good pass rush - is that a winning matchup for us? Do we have a winning matchup on offense? They have given up big points to a power team (Stanford) and various spread teams (Oregon, OSU, and ASU). So far they have not faced a tweener offense with an identity crisis and a back up QB, so we don't really have any data on how they do in that situation.

U-Ute
11-19-2013, 09:34 AM
I have to admit -- this is the only thing I know about WSU. They throw a ton, and Halliday leads the nation in interceptions. They are the only Pac-12 team I have not seen play this season. They have played some good games (Auburn, USC, Arizona) and have also been blown out a number of times (ASU, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State).

This is an understatement. I think Halliday had 65 89 pass attempts in a single game earlier this year

EDIT: Silly me. I underestimated my underestimation.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/washington-state-connor-halliday-sets-fbs-record-pass-055942256--ncaaf.html

Oregon's win over Washington State was record setting. Not for the Ducks' ridiculous offense, but for Washington State's Connor Halliday (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/players/196191), who set the FBS division record for pass attempts in a game with 89.
Halliday went 58-89 for 557 yards and four touchdowns and four interceptions in the Cougars' 62-38 loss, much of it coming in garbage time. That's six more attempts than Drew Brees had for Purdue in 1998 against Wisconsin and ties the record for completions that Eastern Michigan's Andy Schmitt set in 2008 against Central Michigan.

sancho
11-19-2013, 09:34 AM
So I looked it up - Halliday has been sacked 21 times this season - twice per game. Can we get 4-5?

Interesting - the 5 QBs who have been sacked the most times this season all have passer ratings over 120. Is this just because they are throwing a ton and racking up stats?

The top 3 QBs in attempts this season are all in the Pac-12.

U-Ute
11-19-2013, 09:37 AM
So I looked it up - Halliday has been sacked 21 times this season - twice per game. Can we get 4-5?

Interesting - the 5 QBs who have been sacked the most times this season all have passer ratings over 120. Is this just because they are throwing a ton and racking up stats?

The top 3 QBs in attempts this season are all in the Pac-12.

They are very one dimensional. Sitake and Whittingham will eat them for lunch.

Jarid in Cedar
11-19-2013, 09:51 AM
Follow up to my own question - how is Halliday throwing picks? Are people getting pressure on him? We have a good pass rush - is that a winning matchup for us? Do we have a winning matchup on offense? They have given up big points to a power team (Stanford) and various spread teams (Oregon, OSU, and ASU). So far they have not faced a tweener offense with an identity crisis and a back up QB, so we don't really have any data on how they do in that situation.

Many of his picks occur on quick throws where he didn't see coverage or a db jumps the route. Given the volume of throws, he is bound to make a few mistakes. We need to take advantage of them

Applejack
11-19-2013, 11:53 AM
Many of his picks occur on quick throws where he didn't see coverage or a db jumps the route. Given the volume of throws, he is bound to make a few mistakes. We need to take advantage of them

McGill has been so close to a pick six in the past few games, but he can't hold on to the ball. Now would be a great time to work on that.

Art Vandelay
11-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Does anyone know why there isn't a line for this game. Wilson wasn't going to play before the most recent news anyway, was he? Is there another significant player who is questionable?

SoCalPat
11-19-2013, 06:30 PM
Does anyone know why there isn't a line for this game. Wilson wasn't going to play before the most recent news anyway, was he? Is there another significant player who is questionable?

A few Vegas books have it Wazzu -1/1.5

LA Ute
11-19-2013, 06:44 PM

It is good to see you here, Mr. Vandelay.

Brian
11-19-2013, 10:13 PM
It is good to see you here, Mr. Vandelay.

indeed! welcome.

roseparkutes
11-20-2013, 10:24 AM
the utes get their 2nd road win and one more win closer to bowl eligibility

GarthUte
11-20-2013, 10:50 AM
This is a winnable game, but it's not a gimme. Leach is a helluva coach and has raised the level of play by Wazzu.

sancho
11-22-2013, 11:09 AM
A prediction from Wilner:

UTAH (plus-1) at WASHINGTON STATE: Certainly would not have guessed a month ago that WSU would be the team on the brink of a bowl bid. But Utah’s quarterback problems have derailed the Utes’ season once again. Without Travis Wilson – and let’s hope he’s able to lead a happy, healthy life – Utah is using a former walk-on (Adam Shulz) because the best option (Conner Manning) is a true freshman pegged for a redshirt year.

Five-star special: Washington State. Something has to give: The Cougars are 0-3 in conference home games (including Stanford in Seattle), but the Utes are winless since they beat the Cardinal on Oct. 12. What gives is the team with the former walk-on starting at quarterback.

Applejack
11-22-2013, 11:27 AM
A prediction from Wilner:

Who is the backup at QB right now? Let's hope we don't need to find out.

sancho
11-22-2013, 11:35 AM

Trevor Reilly? Dres? Bubba? I prefer the rotation. Every starter other than the linemen get a snap in the all-wildcat offense. If it happens and we get down a ton, I hope we can have fun with it and let safeties and linebackers draw up all their favorite wacky grade school plays. Double pitch reverse fake punt. Cross field hook-and-ladder double throws. The play where Sean Fitgerald barks like a dog while Lucky Radley does backflips. And of course, lots of Duck formation.

Diehard Ute
11-22-2013, 11:56 AM

If Schulz is injured and our they'll play manning.

They won't pull Schulz for a bad performance and have plans if it's an equipment problem or something like that

Applejack
11-22-2013, 11:58 AM
If Schulz is injured and our they'll play manning.

They won't pull Schulz for a bad performance and have plans if it's an equipment problem or something like that

Bad idea. I say put Manning on the shelf for the year. Conner won't be leading us to a bowl game this year, so why burn his redshirt? We have to have a former QB roaming the secondary, right?

Diehard Ute
11-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Bad idea. I say put Manning on the shelf for the year. Conner won't be leading us to a bowl game this year, so why burn his redshirt? We have to have a former QB roaming the secondary, right?

There's really not another option.

There have been long talks with Conner, Cox and their families about all this which is good.

Let's just keep Schulz alive and it won't matter

DrumNFeather
11-22-2013, 12:06 PM
There's really not another option.

There have been long talks with Conner, Cox and their families about all this which is good.

Let's just keep Schulz alive and it won't matter

We need to try to get up 3-0 and then just kill the clock. That's worked in the past. :)

Jarid in Cedar
11-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Wazzu has scored more than 25 points in only 4 games: Idaho, Southern Utah, Cal, and Oregon (got 14 points in last 4 minutes of a 62-38 loss).

I don't see then getting above 24 against our defense.

sancho
11-22-2013, 12:21 PM
Wazzu has scored more than 25 points in only 4 games: Idaho, Southern Utah, Cal, and Oregon (got 14 points in last 4 minutes of a 62-38 loss).

Forget that. Didn't read the game plan from DNF? We're pitching a shutout tomorrow.

Sullyute
11-22-2013, 12:26 PM

Factoring out turnovers, I would agree with you.

Applejack
11-22-2013, 12:33 PM

This is heartwarming, actually. And scoring on Oregon is skewed because they play so fast that the number of possessions increases dramatically.

I'm more worried about our offense finding 20 points than our defense holding their own.

Hot Lunch
11-22-2013, 12:42 PM
This is heartwarming, actually. And scoring on Oregon is skewed because they play so fast that the number of possessions increases dramatically.

I'm more worried about our offense finding 20 points than our defense holding their own.

An Adam Schultz lead Utah offense found 21 points vs. Oregon. Yes 1 was very late in the game vs. their back-ups, I know. Oregon's D is significantly better than Wazzu's. Utah wins by 10 in Pullman. Long live Adam Schultz.......

Jarid in Cedar
11-22-2013, 12:48 PM
An Adam Schultz lead Utah offense found 21 points vs. Oregon. Yes 1 was very late in the game vs. their back-ups, I know. Oregon's D is significantly better than Wazzu's. Utah wins by 10 in Pullman. Long live Adam Schultz.......

We need to get a solid running game/screen game going and we will win going away. I think we have PTSD from the teams that we have played so far. WSU is not anywhere in the same class as what we have played the last 6 games.

Applejack
11-22-2013, 12:48 PM

Schultzy better bring his longjohns. Temperatures should be in the mid to low 30s at game time.

Hot Lunch
11-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Schultzy better bring his longjohns. Temperatures should be in the mid to low 30s at game time.

Isn't he a cheese head from Wisconsin? He should be able to handle it.

Hot Lunch
11-22-2013, 12:52 PM
We need to get a solid running game/screen game going and we will win going away. I think we have PTSD from the teams that we have played so far. WSU is not anywhere in the same class as what we have played the last 6 games.

We have to be able to run the ball. I did think that our O line played their best game in a long time last week. Especially protecting Schultz. I still want Dan Finn on the chopping block though. Let's hope the O line can continue to improve this week and come out more physical in the run game. A healthy Kelvin York should help.

Applejack
11-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Isn't he a cheese head from Wisconsin? He should be able to handle it.

Correct. I guess I should be more worried about our pampered skill players from Southern California. If Drizzy Drez thinks it's hard to catch a ShultzRocket (TM) in Eugene, wait until he gets an iceblock thrown his way in Pullman.

Applejack
11-22-2013, 12:55 PM
We have to be able to run the ball. I did think that our O line played their best game in a long time last week. Especially protecting Schultz. I still want Dan Finn on the chopping block though. Let's hope the O line can continue to improve this week and come out more physical in the run game. A healthy Kelvin York should help.

Is this confirmed? What about Norris? I hate the "no injury news" policy.

Hot Lunch
11-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Is this confirmed? What about Norris? I hate the "no injury news" policy.

I thought that I saw on Twitter earlier this week that York would return from a knee injury this week. I am not sure about Norris. A healthy Jacoby Hale will be the most important defender IMO this week. When he is out there, IMO the D is so much better.

Applejack
11-22-2013, 01:04 PM
I thought that I saw on Twitter earlier this week that York would return from a knee injury this week. I am not sure about Norris. A healthy Jacoby Hale will be the most important defender IMO this week. When he is out there, IMO the D is so much better.

Are you worried Hale is out, or just not 100%? He has played in the last three games, so I was under the impression that he was back barring any further setbacks. I agree that he is head and shoulders above our other options at LB; I place Norris as our 2nd best.

Hot Lunch
11-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Are you worried Hale is out, or just not 100%? He has played in the last three games, so I was under the impression that he was back barring any further setbacks. I agree that he is head and shoulders above our other options at LB; I place Norris as our 2nd best.

I always worry about Hale being out even though he has been out there the past 3 weeks. I haven't seen or heard anything that says he won't be out there. His injury history scares me. He makes a huge difference when he is out there.

Jarid in Cedar
11-22-2013, 01:18 PM

Whittingham said on the coaches show that they expected York to play. I have not heard anything about Hale being out. I expect him to play.

Sullyute
11-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Correct. I guess I should be more worried about our pampered skill players from Southern California. If Drizzy Drez thinks its hard to catch a ShultzRocket (TM) in Eugene, wait until he gets an iceblock thrown his way in Pullman.

I hope you don't mind if I trademark SchulzRocket. TIA.

Applejack
11-22-2013, 01:35 PM
This thread is getting me excited for the game. I still believe that this is a solid team and that we will be bowling. Going on the road to Pullman in late November with a back-up QB with a bowl game on the line for both teams will tell us a lot about this team's future.

I hope you don't mind if I trademark SchulzRocket. TIA.

Be my guest, but just so you know, it sounds like a hipster website. I don't think it's a money-maker.

Sullyute
11-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Be my guest, but just so you know, it sounds like a hipster website. I don't think it's a money-maker.

You are probably right. I guess I will just use the site to post my creepy picture collection of used women's shoes on the internet.

U-Ute
11-23-2013, 08:18 AM
Correct. I guess I should be more worried about our pampered skill players from Southern California. If Drizzy Drez thinks it's hard to catch a ShultzRocket (TM) in Eugene, wait until he gets an ice-block thrown his way in Pullman.

I am so using these. With proper attribution of course.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 08:29 AM
I am so using these. With proper attribution of course.

But is has to be SchulzRocket. If you use the "t" there will be consequences.

Brian
11-23-2013, 10:22 AM
I got a feeling in me. With the number of passes these Cougar will be putting up, I think the DBs will finally get a couple of picks in a game.

roseparkutes
11-23-2013, 10:34 AM
pretty much this is our playoffs WIN or go home

Brian
11-23-2013, 10:47 AM
pretty much this is our playoffs WIN or go home

And Kyle seems to be pretty good at getting the guys up for big games.
The emotion of the Travis situation, and the do-or-die situation against a very beatable team, I feel a win, and maybe even a big win.

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 01:31 PM
Alright Utes here we go, let's show some fight today.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 01:44 PM
I'm trying to think, in Pac 12 play, I think we've now allowed a score on the opening drive of all but one, maybe two of those games at the most.

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 01:45 PM
I'm not sure he has control there

mpfunk
11-23-2013, 01:48 PM
We got screwed on that call, no doubt about it. This is not looking good to start. If they are able to keep marching down the field there is no way in hell our offense can hold up.

Snowman
11-23-2013, 01:50 PM
How many throws until the first pick? I predict a pick on the first third down.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 01:51 PM
In how many games this year have our opponents scored on their first drive? What is up with that?

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 01:52 PM
In how many games this year have our opponents scored on their first drive? What is up with that?

The only one I can remember that didn't was ironically Oregon.

Snowman
11-23-2013, 01:52 PM
Congrats on the first successful 3 and out!

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Welp, not a great start here.

Hot Lunch
11-23-2013, 01:53 PM
What a pathetic start to this game from all aspects. O, D and special teams.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 01:54 PM
What a grim start.

mpfunk
11-23-2013, 01:54 PM
It is going to be a long day. I guess I can look on the bright side, if we lose it frees up my Saturday next week.

SeattleUte
11-23-2013, 01:55 PM
I've had a bad feeling about this game as I've said. I'm trying to ignore it but am not succeeding.

wuapinmon
11-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Dale Murphy is tweeting about the game. He says he's freezing.

mpfunk
11-23-2013, 02:00 PM
With that stop, if we can score a TD here it will redeem the absolutely shitty start.

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Hmmm...

mpfunk
11-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Well shit. This could get ugly fast.

I guess that is what happens when you have a walk-on as your QB.

U-Ute
11-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Well, the good news is that this game may be over before we leave for the Savannah State game.

Hot Lunch
11-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Time for a change. Lot's of changes. Wow.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 02:03 PM
This season we have looked our worst against the worst teams. What's up with that? Today we look like klutzes.

Snowman
11-23-2013, 02:03 PM
Damn. I really had my heart set on another solid 3 and out.

mpfunk
11-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Damn. I really had my heart set on another solid 3 and out.

The sad thing is with as much as we have turned the ball over this year, you are right that is a solid offensive series.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 02:06 PM
We're still paying for years of inattention to the QB position.

DrumNFeather
Time to burn a redshirt

Snowman
lol

mpfunk
11-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Game fucking over. I'm not sure we can even score 21 points.

This team and program is a dumpster fire.

Viking
11-23-2013, 02:07 PM
You guys are a great team. Toughest schedule in the country. I love Mike Leach, and so I'm cheering for Leach but you'll be back next year.

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 02:08 PM

Meh, you've been reading too much CS.

U-Ute
You know, you can go watch a decent basketball team for free today with just some canned food.

Snowman
I'm gonna be so glad next week to get this damn season over.

Viking
11-23-2013, 02:09 PM

Buck up, man. Leach is a bad ass...this game was always going to be more difficult than the line indicated. You'll be back next year.

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 02:09 PM
I'm willing to take the chance that one of the young guys is the next Alex Smith if it increases our chances to win or hey, get a first down.

Snowman
11-23-2013, 02:10 PM
You guys are a great team. Toughest schedule in the country. I love Mike Leach, and so I'm cheering for Leach but you'll be back next year.

Let's just hope those kids in California can't afford cable.

U-Ute
11-23-2013, 02:11 PM
There is still plenty of time left in the game. They just need to get pissed off and start executing.

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 02:12 PM
First down! Erickson gets a Gatorade bath!

Viking
11-23-2013, 02:18 PM
Meanwhile, BYU's defense is being totally exposed by a mediocre ND offense.

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 02:18 PM
I love that counter tre

mpfunk
11-23-2013, 02:19 PM
Meanwhile, BYU's defense is being totally exposed by a mediocre ND offense.

That doesn't make me feel any better.

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 02:21 PM
Drez's steady decline is kind of a microcosm of this season. Feel free to prove me wrong Drez.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 02:22 PM
Let's start talking glass half-full. By spotting WSU 21 points in the first quarter we've left ourselves enough time to come back! :D

Trouble is, as funk notes, we may not have the O to score 21.

What a train wreck so far. It is not like me to say this, but if these guys rout us someone needs to be fired. Not necessarily Kyle, but someone.

Viking
11-23-2013, 02:23 PM
Let's start talking glass half-full. By spotting WSU 21 points in the first quarter we've left ourselves enough time to come back! :D

What a train wreck so far. It is not like me to say this, but if these guys rout us someone needs to be fired. Not necessarily Kyle, but someone.

Don't fire Kyle for 2-3 more years.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 02:28 PM
More glass half-full talk: Manning will learn a lot about how not to throw passes from watching Schulz. Maybe he will have reinforced in his mind that the one thing a QB must not do, the deadliest thing a QB can do, is to throw pick-sixes. Especially two in one quarter.

mpfunk
11-23-2013, 02:28 PM

Someone does need to be fired at Utah, but you will not like who I think should be fired. By the way it isn't the football or basketball coach.

U-Ute
11-23-2013, 02:29 PM
Drez's steady decline is kind of a microcosm of this season. Feel free to prove me wrong Drez.

Challenge accepted.

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 02:30 PM

I'll go with what Moose Johnston said about Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. We aren't built to come back from 21 down, but we don't have to!

U-Ute
York: Beast Mode Activate!

LA Ute
More glass half-full talk: Manning will learn a lot about how not to throw passes from watching Schulz. Maybe he will have reinforced in his mind that the one thing a QB must not do, the deadliest thing a QB can do, is to throw pick-sixes. Especially two in one quarter.

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Nice to see the team finally got off the bus!

Snowman
11-23-2013, 02:32 PM
One score game. It's almost worse when you actually have hope.

LA Ute
Now the WSU defense is starting to look like the one we expected. Funny how shooting yourself in the foot on offense makes the defense look like world beaters.

Brian

Preach the the good word LA!!!!

mpfunk
11-23-2013, 02:33 PM
I'm glad that I was wrong that this game was over, but we really need a defensive stop here. We can't let them get much more than 21 points. I still don't have a lot of confidence in our offense.

U-Ute
Now the WSU defense is starting to look like the one we expected. Funny how shooting yourself in the foot on offense makes the defense look like world beaters.

It's the ol' Rope-A-Dope offense.

We have them right where we want them now.

DrumNFeather
Challenge accepted.

Perhaps I should talk some more smack on the guy. And another thing... :)

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 02:36 PM
I think his shoulder is out

mpfunk
11-23-2013, 02:36 PM
That was one hell of a catch and I hated it.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 02:37 PM
Another positive: I predicted a Utah win, 34-21. That score is still possible. But we need a turnover right now to stop WSU from scoring. Come on, Utes! Save my prediction!

Diehard Ute
11-23-2013, 02:38 PM
Lya just tweeted Tonga will not be recognized on senior day as he's getting a medical hardship and will return next season

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 02:38 PM
That was one hell of a catch and I hated it.

It's interesting though, does he complete the catch and get in bounds. Not so sure.

mpfunk
11-23-2013, 02:40 PM
I think that was a catch and that the TD wasn't a catch.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 02:40 PM
Also, this game gives the Utes a chance to learn how to come back from a 3-TD deficit. Maybe we spotted them those points....

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 02:41 PM
A better pass rush would help. Then again, so would less arm-tackling.

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 02:43 PM
A better pass rush would help. Then again, so would less arm-tackling.

Yeah, the defensive backs make me cringe a little

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 02:43 PM

Our season, on a plate.

Diehard Ute
11-23-2013, 02:45 PM
I think that was a catch and that the TD wasn't a catch.

Helmet is already touching out of bounds when he gained control. It was not a catch.

Diehard Ute
11-23-2013, 02:46 PM
Another positive: I predicted a Utah win, 34-21. That score is still possible. But we need a turnover right now to stop WSU from scoring. Come on, Utes! Save my prediction!

I blame you for the field goal

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 02:49 PM
It would be nice if we could get a takeaway. Maybe we can we have one now for an early Christmas?

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 02:50 PM
I blame you for the field goal

Time to ask LA to leave this site

Diehard Ute
11-23-2013, 02:50 PM
I don't like Schulz body language. He's very animated when something doesn't go right and always seems to be panicked about something.

OrangeUte
11-23-2013, 02:52 PM
This game is winnable.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 02:52 PM
What is the deal with our defensive backfield?

OrangeUte
11-23-2013, 02:53 PM
It is good for us if Schulz is animated and excited.

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 02:54 PM
No pass rush. Literally none.

U-Ute
11-23-2013, 02:54 PM
They are going at Honeycutt

Diehard Ute
11-23-2013, 02:56 PM
It is good for us if Schulz is animated and excited.

Disagree. His body language is one of stress annoyance and anger, at his teammates.

He already struggled with decision making. Being mentally upset won't help.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 02:56 PM
Pathetic. Two WSU receivers standing uncovered in the end zone, while our DBs are seemingly unaware of them. This is not the Utah defense. Why the gross underperformance? I hate to vent, but losing is one thing, and embarrassing the program is another.

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 02:57 PM
What is the deal with our defensive backfield?

It's limited.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 02:59 PM
They are going at Honeycutt

Yep. But why can they do that, and better teams could not? We're making these guys look like Oregon.

OrangeUte
11-23-2013, 03:00 PM
Agree on frustrated. He could use some of Wilson's calm.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Wow, a takeaway. Let's see if our very limited QB can do something here. Or if our offensive line can stop making WSU's D-line look like world beaters.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 03:07 PM
Schulz just can't throw accurately today. Man, in the last three seasons our backup QB has been either a guy with no D-1 offers or a walk-on. I don't care about bad luck, that's avoidable and it's on our head coach.

At least next year, regardless of what happens with Wilson, we will have a two-deep at QB with two guys are both PAC-12 recruits with scholarships. They both might be freshmen (one RS, one true) but we'll be better off. I don't want to see Schulz play another down for Utah after this season.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 03:11 PM
That was less than an inch from being a TD.

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 03:12 PM
Schulz just can't throw accurately today. Man, in the last three seasons our backup QB has been either a guy with no D-1 offers or a walk-on. I don't care about bad luck, that's avoidable and it's on our head coach.

At least next year, regardless of what happens with Wilson, we will have a two-deep at QB with two guys are both PAC-12 recruits with scholarships. They both might be freshmen (one RS, one true) but we'll be better off. I don't want to see Schulz play another down for Utah after this season.

I think it is by far the most foolish thing our coach\coaches have done.

U-Ute
11-23-2013, 03:13 PM
Yep. But why can they do that, and better teams could not? We're making these guys look like Oregon.

I am not sure. Probably due the specific matchups. I don't know if Oregon's slot receivers are as good as Wazzu's. They have had some fantastic catches today.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 03:18 PM
I am not sure. Probably due the specific matchups. I don't know if Oregon's slot receivers are as good as Wazzu's. They have had some fantastic catches today.

Stop being so reasonable. I am in my ticked-off fan mode.

U-Ute
11-23-2013, 03:26 PM

Schulz may not be the PAC-12 QB we need, but be careful what you wish for. None of these kids have had a single snap of football. Some kids can be All Practice players then flop when the real snaps come (see: Heaps). I am just hoping one of them pans out to be a good PAC-12 QB.

U-Ute
11-23-2013, 03:27 PM
Stop being so reasonable. I am in my ticked-off fan mode.

Fire Whittingham!

sancho
11-23-2013, 03:36 PM
Second half depends on our defensive adjustments. If we can completely shut them down somehow, we can manage the two TDs needed to win.

This is the biggest game for Wazzu in 10 years, and they managed, what, 70-80 fans in attendance?

SeattleUte
11-23-2013, 03:39 PM

I believe we have finished the season with a walkon at qb every season Whit has been coach except 2008 and and 2009.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 03:42 PM
Schulz may not be the PAC-12 QB we need, but be careful what you wish for. None of these kids have had a single snap of football. Some kids can be All Practice players then flop when the real snaps come (see: Heaps). I am just hoping one of them pans out to be a good PAC-12 QB.
First, you need to stop expecting me to be rational right now. http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/smileys/kicked-out-smiley.gif

Second, what you are saying is true but it only underscores how bad the situation has been allowed to become.

GarthUte
11-23-2013, 03:44 PM
For the good of the team, I will stop watching. I watched the first bit of the 1st quarter and the Utes got down 21-0. I switched the channel and when I came back, it was 21-14. While I watched, WSU pushed the lead to 30-14. So I switched away and have no idea what the score is, but I can only guess that Utah has played better when I don't watch.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 03:46 PM
I believe we have finished the season with a walkon at qb every season Whit has been coach except 2008 and and 2009.

Whit is a defensive-minded coach and we have benefited from that. But our offensive identity and our QB situation have been a shambles except for 2008. It makes me think offense is an afterthought to him. If he doesn't "get religion" about the need to be very serious about the O, I'm afraid his future at Utah is going to be limited.

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 03:50 PM
After some plays, Shultz looks at the sideline with an expression that says what the rest of us are thinking: "what kind of shitty play call was that? "

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 03:54 PM
After some plays, Shultz looks at the sideline with an expression that says what the rest of us are thinking: "what kind of shitty play call was that? "

He'd have more credibility saying that if he could hit an open receiver standing less than 10 yards from him.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 03:56 PM
No QB should ever throw a pass that hits one of our players in the hands. Offense or defense.

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 03:57 PM
Man, we can't stop this.

SeattleUte
11-23-2013, 03:58 PM
Whit is a defensive-minded coach and we have benefited from that. But our offensive identity and our QB situation have been a shambles except for 2008. It makes me think offense is an afterthought to him. If he doesn't "get religion" about the need to be very serious about the O, I'm afraid his future at Utah is going to be limited.

In 2009 we didn't finish with a walkon but we finished with a true freshman having booted his redshirt.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 03:59 PM
Poor Honeycutt is really getting worked.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 04:01 PM
This game makes it pretty clear that our DBs lack the necessary speed. The WSU receivers are beating them regularly.

Hot Lunch
11-23-2013, 04:03 PM
I am officially on board with cleaning house on Monday December 2nd. I know many will disagree with me here. Can't believe how unprepared this team looks at times.

sancho
11-23-2013, 04:04 PM
This game makes it pretty clear that our DBs lack the necessary speed. The WSU receivers are beating them regularly.

I'm more surprised at how little pass rush we can generate. We not losing to a good team today.

Hot Lunch
11-23-2013, 04:04 PM
I am officially on board with cleaning house on Monday December 2nd. I know many will disagree with me here. Can't believe how unprepared this team looks at times.

Even if we pull this out I will still feel the same way.

mpfunk
11-23-2013, 04:08 PM
It is becoming really obvious that the loss of Jake Murphy had a huge impact on the offense.

sancho
11-23-2013, 04:09 PM
I just want everyone to know that as soon as we picked up that first down, I said "Murphy time."

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 04:10 PM

Meaning Whit too?

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Maybe the D can do something special like actually sack Halliday. Or not ride the receiver for 10 yards after first starting to tackle him.

mpfunk
Yes the offense gave away 14 points to Washington St, but if we lose this game it is on the defense. They have completely sucked.

Hot Lunch
Meaning Whit too?

yes sir!

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Even if we pull this out I will still feel the same way.

I'm not sure we are to that extreme, but I do think some frank conversations need to be had about assistants and recruiting. I suspect that if we cleaned house, we might find out what the hoops program and Colorado's football team found out.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 04:14 PM
Maybe the D can do something special like actually sack Halliday. Or not ride the receiver for 10 yards after first starting to tackle him.

Then again, maybe we just let them march down the field and score a TD instead.

Hot Lunch
11-23-2013, 04:15 PM
I'm not sure we are to that extreme, but I do think some frank conversations need to be had about assistants and recruiting. I suspect that if we cleaned house, we might find out what the hoops program and Colorado's football team found out.

Or we could find someone that would be able to make us competitive on the PAC12.

sancho
11-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Yes the offense gave away 14 points to Washington St, but if we lose this game it is on the defense. They have completely sucked.

Just can't seem to get a good offensive game and a good defensive game on the same Saturday.

sancho
11-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Or we could find someone that would be able to make us competitive on the PAC12.

Who do you suggest? Slim pickens out there for coaches.

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 04:17 PM

What makes it an attractive job right now?

Hot Lunch
11-23-2013, 04:18 PM
What makes it an attractive job right now?

Not much right now.

Wazzu wasnt attractive and and they landed someone that have revived them from the dead.

sancho
11-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Last chance for our defense to do something redemptive.

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Not much right now.

Wazzu wasnt attractive and and they landed someone that have revived them from the dead.

Don't get me wrong, I think there are problems, I'm just not convinced that Whit is the only problem and I think he deserves more time.

Hot Lunch
11-23-2013, 04:23 PM
Not much right now.

And to be honest, I don't understand the hope that some fans are still holding on to. What is it that makes people think this will be different in a year or two?

Hot Lunch
11-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think there are problems, I'm just not convinced that Whit is the only problem and I think he deserves more time.

He isn't the only problem. There are so many, at the end of the day, it starts with him though.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 04:24 PM

It may be that Whit is like Mac -- he's hit his plateau. That's a call Chris Hill has to make. Does he give Kyle a full PAC-12 recruiting cycle, or does he just cut clean now? To stick with Kyle means Hill is betting on him to learn how to hire qualified assistants and pay attention to the offense. I say it's a bet because there is no evidence Kyle knows how to do either thing.

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 04:26 PM
He isn't the only problem. There are so many, at the end of the day, it starts with him though.

Yeah, and that's why I think we might see him lose some control in hiring. That would be a place to start.

sancho
11-23-2013, 04:27 PM
What is it that makes people think this will be different in a year or two?

I guess my hope comes from the fact that we are better this year than last year. I don't understand wanting can a guy when the team has improved. I also have no problem accepting that we have had some bad luck.

mpfunk
11-23-2013, 04:27 PM
It may be that Whit is like Mac -- he's hit his plateau. That's a call Chris Hill has to make. Does he give Kyle a full PAC-12 recruiting cycle, or does he just cut clean now? To stick with Kyle means Hill is betting on him to learn how to hire qualified assistants and pay attention to the offense. I say it's a bet because there is no evidence Kyle knows how to do either thing.

I'm 100% against Hill being allowed to make the next head coaching decision for our football team. Hill hiring our next football coach would be a huge mistake.

UtahDan
11-23-2013, 04:28 PM
And to be honest, I don't understand the hope that some fans are still holding on to. What is it that makes people think this will be different in a year or two?

Most outsiders I read seem to think we need a full 4 year recruiting cycle in our new conference before you can judge. Do you think that's not right?

sancho
11-23-2013, 04:30 PM
It may be that Whit is like Mac -- he's hit his plateau.

His plateau - you mean #2 in the nation and coach of the year? I'll take a coach with that ceiling.

To stick with Kyle means Hill is betting on him to learn how to hire qualified assistants and pay attention to the offense. I say it's a bet because there is no evidence Kyle knows how to do either thing.

What's the evidence that he doesn't know how to do either thing? We can't keep a QB healthy. We can't keep our best WR healthy. It's just frustration that blames that on the coaches.

LA Ute
I'm 100% against Hill being allowed to make the next head coaching decision for our football team. Hill hiring our next football coach would be a huge mistake.

I know why you feel that way but who else can do it?

Hot Lunch
Most outsiders I read seem to think we need a full 4 year recruiting cycle in our new conference before you can judge. Do you think that's not right?

I think we have shit the bed in recruiting so far. It also looks like on paper this recruiting class is not that good either.

UtahDan
11-23-2013, 04:32 PM
I think we have shit the bed in recruiting so far. It also looks like on paper this recruiting class is not that good either.

I don't closely follow recruiting. Are there guys that we shouldn't have lost that we lost, or guys that we should have targeted and didn't?

mpfunk
I know why you feel that way but who else can do it?

Our next AD. Someone has got to get Hill to retire within the next year or 2.

Viking

I think you guys are getting a little too emotional. Utah will be fine under whit. By yr 5 in the pac12, have this discussion

Hot Lunch
11-23-2013, 04:33 PM
I guess my hope comes from the fact that we are better this year than last year. I don't understand wanting can a guy when the team has improved. I also have no problem accepting that we have had some bad luck.

The pac 12 as a whole is better this year. We aren't keeping up though.

sancho
11-23-2013, 04:33 PM
We've had our highest ranked classes ever. It makes no sense to say we've been doing poorly.

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 04:35 PM
I don't closely follow recruiting. Are guys there that we shouldn't have lost that we lost, or guys that we should have targeted and didn't?

Some of it is just poor evaluation of talent. We take a lot of chances on guys that don't pan out or never make it to campus.

Hot Lunch
11-23-2013, 04:36 PM
I don't closely follow recruiting. Are there guys that we shouldn't have lost that we lost, or guys that we should have targeted and didn't?

It is both. We aren't beating BCS schools for kids. The ones we are getting are guys that would have been ok to compete in the MWC but aren't good enough to play in the PAC12.

mpfunk
11-23-2013, 04:37 PM
We've had our highest ranked classes ever. It makes no sense to say we've been doing poorly.

The QB recruiting is still a huge concern. Once again this year we don't have anyone to be that excited about. People can talk about Cox/Manning all they want, but they are on the bottom tier of Pac-12 QB recruits.

sancho
11-23-2013, 04:37 PM
It is both. We aren't beating BCS schools for kids. The ones we are getting are guys that would have been ok to compete in the MWC but aren't good enough to play in the PAC12.

They are rated as Pac-12 caliber.

sancho
11-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Jake Murphy is the best player on either of these teams. I want to say Reilly is the next best, but I'm not as confidant there.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 04:39 PM
His plateau - you mean #2 in the nation and coach of the year? I'll take a coach with that ceiling.

Ronnie Mac had a #8 ranking after 1994. By "plateau" I mean that Utah won't get to the level of PAC-12 competitiveness. I asked the question because I don't know the answer.

What's the evidence that he doesn't know how to do either thing? We can't keep a QB healthy. We can't keep our best WR healthy. It's just frustration that blames that on the coaches.

He hasn't shown he can develop an offensive identity. After 2008 we had Schroderick, Chow, Johnson, and now JohnsonErickson. Yes, bad luck at QB. I don't know what to say about that, but in my business bad luck is not an excuse if you keep having it.

He also hasn't shown he can hire outside his circle of acquaintances. We don't know yet how big a deal this is. Will he change? No one knows.

I still think it's too early, but another season like this next year and I do think he'll be gone.

Hot Lunch
They are rated as Pac-12 caliber.

They are? Because Utah is their only offer?

Snowman
This is crazy.

sancho
11-23-2013, 04:40 PM
The QB recruiting is still a huge concern. Once again this year we don't have anyone to be that excited about. People can talk about Cox/Manning all they want, but they are on the bottom tier of Pac-12 QB recruits.

This is true, and it's not going to change with any new coach. The best QBs in the west are going to choose other schools. We have to get the Isoms and Mannings and hope things work out. QB is the toughest position to evaluate well, so you don't necessarily need a 5 star guy in order to succeed.

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Ironically, Gabe Marks who just fumbled, picked Wazzu over us.

sancho
11-23-2013, 04:42 PM
He hasn't shown he can develop an offensive identity. After 2008 we had Schroderick, Chow, Johnson, and now JohnsonErickson. Yes, bad luck at QB. I don't know what to say about that, but in my business bad luck is not an excuse if you keep having it.

Which decision was a bad one? Chow? That's the decision that started all our offensive identity issues. But it was a good decision that anyone would have made.

OrangeUte
11-23-2013, 04:43 PM
I'm glad jake Murphy is back.

Hot Lunch
11-23-2013, 04:44 PM
I'm glad jake Murphy is back.

Jake Murphy is a stud.

Hot Lunch
11-23-2013, 04:45 PM
Ironically, Gabe Marks who just fumbled, picked Wazzu over us.

See, we can't even beat Wazzu on recruits. :)

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 04:46 PM
One of the most surprising things about this game is how poorly the D-line has played.

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 04:47 PM
See, we can't even beat Wazzu on recruits. :)

He had a fumbling problem...we didn't want him : )

Hot Lunch
11-23-2013, 04:54 PM
Fantastic play calling right there. Well done.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 04:55 PM
This is the most important defensive series of the season.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 04:56 PM

What? You think WSU expected that York run up the gut?

mpfunk

We are punting it with 5 minutes left and our defense playing like shit? Really, I guess it is better to try to lose by only 6 than try to win the game.

sancho
Should have gone for it there.

Hot Lunch
11-23-2013, 05:00 PM
And that is that. Wow.

mpfunk
11-23-2013, 05:00 PM
Remember when we used to go to bowl games, that was enjoyable.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 05:04 PM
So all our DBs on the game-sealing play fall down? LOL! I mean really!

sancho
11-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Our defense so bad today, and our run game decent - have to go for it on 4th and 2. Our odds of getting a 3 and out were basically zero.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Spotting them 14 points in the first quarter looms kinda large now, doesn't it?

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 05:07 PM
This may have been one of the weirdest WTH games I've seen during Whit's tenure.

mpfunk
11-23-2013, 05:09 PM
Better punt to preserve the 12 point loss instead of a possible 19 point loss.

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 05:11 PM
Better punt to preserve the 12 point loss instead of a possible 19 point loss.

Right, because that's what they were doing.

mpfunk
11-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Better kick the FG to get a 9 point loss instead of 12.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 05:13 PM
And the Keystone Kops show up! QB not even expecting the snap!

sancho
11-23-2013, 05:14 PM
If not for the missed PAT, we kick a FG here.

Snowman
11-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Next week we get to battle it out to see who isn't the sorriest team in the PAC 12.

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 05:19 PM
Next week we get to battle it out to see who isn't the sorriest team in the PAC 12.

Plenty of tickets still available!

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 05:20 PM

I wonder what the attendance will be? I'm going to be in town and will go to the game, but not very enthusiastically. This team could easily lose that game.

DrumNFeather
11-23-2013, 05:23 PM
I wonder what the attendance will be? I'm going to be in town and will go to the game, but not very enthusiastically. This team could easily lose that game.

It's a rivalry game, you toss the records out. No really, please toss the records out, we're begging you!

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 05:31 PM
The question: Why were we forced to play a walk-on QB in this game? Many answers. None of them pretty.

Hot Lunch
11-23-2013, 05:37 PM
The question: Why were we forced to play a walk-on QB in this game? Many answers. None of them pretty.

We have finished the last 3 seasons with a walk-on quarterback. Right there is another reason why a good house cleaning is needed.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Riley saying that this is the first 2013 game in which Halliday did not throw an interception. Wow. A dubious distinction for us.

Not a single sack or even a knockdown or hurry. Double wow. Their O-line owned our D-line. How did that happen?

I do think the guys showed character by not giving up. I admire that a lot.

Seems to me there's still a talent deficit in the defensive backfield. Scalley's been saying that for a while. He must be right.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 05:40 PM
We have finished the last 3 seasons with a walk-on quarterback. Right there is another reason why a good house cleaning is needed.

Yep. How does a PAC-12 head coach allow himself to be in that situation repeatedly? I am probably being too hard on Kyle, but it's a fair question.

OrangeUte
11-23-2013, 05:51 PM
I hope manning has what it takes to be a winning PAC 12 quarterback.

USS Utah
11-23-2013, 05:52 PM

Cal already has that one locked up.

Hot Lunch
11-23-2013, 05:53 PM
Yep. How does a PAC-12 head coach allow himself to be in that situation repeatedly? I am probably being too hard on Kyle, but it's a fair question.

It is a very fair question.

Don't worry about being too hard on him. Look at what I started in this thread. I am bringing down the hammer on the man. My confidence is gone.

USS Utah
11-23-2013, 05:53 PM

Wilson was a walk on last year?

U-Ute
11-23-2013, 06:01 PM

I am left wondering about the defections of Eubanks and Brown. Would they have made a difference? They aren't playing much on their respective teams now, but, at least in the case of Brown, he is behind some pretty good talent in Price.

I don't know if they are better than we currently have, but you would think they probably are.

USS Utah
11-23-2013, 06:05 PM
I am left wondering about the defections of Eubanks and Brown. Would they have made a difference? They aren't playing much on their respective teams now, but, at least in the case of Brown, he is behind some pretty good talent in Price.

I don't know if they are better than we currently have, but you would think they probably are.

Don't forget the departure of Shreve.

sancho
11-23-2013, 06:07 PM

So, what are we more interested in - punishing Kyle for needing a walk-on when his QB got hurt? or building a winning football team?

We have a boatload of scholarship QBs on the roster next year, so Kyle has clearly corrected the unfortunate mistake of not having enough. If punishment is what we want, by all means let's fire him and get that guy from Fresno State to come lose games for us. Then in 4 years, we can find some other guy to come lose games for us. If winning in the long term is what we want, I don't see any options on the table right now that offer more promise than what we have.

If Chris Peterson makes it clear that he is ready to leave Boise but wants to stay in the Rockies, I guess we could try that. Even that's not a slam dunk. Otherwise, I have yet to hear a realistic option that would be give us better long term prospects than what we currently have.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 06:07 PM

A lot of it is just rotten luck. But still...I've hired lots of people and have had my share of bad luck with hires. But at the end of the day I have to find a way to overcome the bad luck and get the job done by the right person.

U-Ute
11-23-2013, 06:08 PM

After punching his HS coach, I had the opinion he was a knucklehead. I wasn't really counting on him.

sancho
11-23-2013, 06:11 PM

No kidding. It's not like Kyle sat back one day and said "I think I'll go with just one QB and see what happens." We tried, we were misled by one commit (may he never start a game), we had a defection (may he never start a game), and all of a sudden things got desperate. Surely Kyle is not the first good coach to end up playing a former walk-on is the only option left.

I know, I know, he really should have grabbed one of those amazing 5 star JUCO QBs who are hanging around on every corner.

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 06:12 PM
So, what are we more interested in - punishing Kyle for needing a walk-on when his QB got hurt? or building a winning football team?

We have a boatload of scholarship QBs on the roster next year, so Kyle has clearly corrected the unfortunate mistake of not having enough. If punishment is what we want, by all means let's fire him and get that guy from Fresno State to come lose games for us. Then in 4 years, we can find some other guy to come lose games for us. If winning in the long term is what we want, I don't see any options on the table right now that offer more promise than what we have.

If Chris Peterson makes it clear that he is ready to leave Boise but wants to stay in the Rockies, I guess we could try that. Even that's not a slam dunk. Otherwise, I have yet to hear a realistic option that would be give us better long term prospects than what we currently have.

For the record: I still think Kyle should have until after the 2015 season. I'm just not as sure of that as I used to be.

Hot Lunch
11-23-2013, 06:16 PM

This is where the problem is, right now, we are not a winning football team.

USS Utah
11-23-2013, 06:35 PM
This is where the problem is, right now, we are not a winning football team.

Utah is not a winning football team in the second best conference in the nation. Utah is in year three of a transition from a confernece they would easily be winning in.

Hot Lunch
11-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Utah is not a winning football team in the second best conference in the nation. Utah is in year three of a transition from a confernece they would easily be winning in.

This team wouldn't win the MWC this year. Just being honest.

sancho
11-23-2013, 06:40 PM
I probably shouldn't post after losses. I'm too frustrated to think clearly.

Throughout sports, you can find examples of teams that were rewarded for having patience with coaches. You can also find examples of teams that had success bringing in a new guy. I usually lean toward the patience side. I've been both right and wrong on these calls at different times. I think in this case it's pretty clear that Whittingham will not be fired this year, so for now I guess we can just sit on this conversation and hope we don't have to have it again in a year.

sancho
11-23-2013, 06:41 PM

USU is #1 in that conference, and we beat them. I think we'd have a shot.

Hot Lunch
11-23-2013, 06:42 PM
USU is #1 in that conference, and we beat them. I think we'd have a shot.

of Fresno St. is.

sancho
11-23-2013, 06:44 PM
of Fresno St. is.

They both are, right? Different divisions?

Fresno St is #15 in the nation. By that standard, the list of teams that couldn't win the MWC this season is very long.

USS Utah
11-23-2013, 06:45 PM

I didn't say they would win the MWC title, but they wouldn't struggle to become bowl eligable. In the MWC they would have 2 or 3 tough games not 7 or 8.

Hot Lunch
11-23-2013, 07:02 PM
I didn't say they would win the MWC title, but they wouldn't struggle to become bowl eligable. In the MWC they would have 2 or 3 tough games not 7 or 8.

Thanks for the clarification. That being said, this really isn't saying much. We need to stop with the "if" statements. At the end of the day, I want to be competitive where we are at. We aren't. Based on the roster for next year, I am not sure we will be in 2014.

Hot Lunch
11-23-2013, 07:03 PM
Speaking of quarterbacks, how does Brian Johnson still have a job?

LA Ute
11-23-2013, 07:22 PM
Speaking of quarterbacks, how does Brian Johnson still have a job?

Have you ever listened to him talk about the team and how he's addressing issues? He doesn't inspire much confidence (recognizing that I am no football mind).

jrj84105
11-23-2013, 08:00 PM

Brown is a fullback now. The "PAC12 depth" excuse is misleading. By the numbers, we've been out-recruiting several PAC12 schools (AZ, CU, OSU, WSU) for many years now. Yet we're still less talented? At least on the offensive side of the ball, and especially at QB, our coaches are very, very, very bad at identifying talent. DE may have come too late to fix this.

How did this happen when Utah, during the BCS years, was better at identifying and developing NFL players than any team in the country? I believe a big part of this is the loss of Gary Anderson. While at USU GA did a much better job than our staff at identifying and developing talent, especially on the offensive side of the ball.

Jarid in Cedar
11-23-2013, 08:01 PM
The only good that came out of the game today was that high frustration allowed me to kick out 56 miles on my trainer while watching the game( 28 of them in the first hour after the first pick 6!).

1. If Whitt says another time that the Pac-12 is hard and that we don't have the depth, he needs to go! The constant whine of this line of talk is getting old. There is some truth, but I don't hear Sark, RichRod, Graham say this more than on one or two occasions. The more he talks about it, the more the players buy into it, and the downward spiral continues(I might have posted this same thing last year). Stop talking about failure, and start talking about how you are going to change things. We have been in the thick of things in many of the games, but I think Whitt's sphincter puckering is holding the team back.

2. As the year unfolded, the two most important games of the season were the Arizona game and today's game. And both times we came out flatter than 4 day old roadkill. We needed to follow up the Stanford win with another W to show that we were not pretenders, and we needed today to have a chance at bowl eligibility. Trend this back to the Colorado game in 2011 and the Washington and Arizona games in 2012, and I am starting to have real concern about the coaches ability to get the team prepared and not uptight out the gate.

3. We do not know how to play zone. I have been pounding this drum since our struggles against the pass in 2010. When you play teams that throw as often and as well as we see in this conference, we need to be able to play zone effectively. At this point, any zone that we played means that we have guys standing around to tackle the guy after he completes the pass.

4. When you play man-press coverage, the interceptions need to come from the safeties and linebackers. To point, Whittingham dropped a sure INT, and both safeties had several chances to get one, but couldn't. If we get 2 or 3 of those plays, we would have stopped drives of theirs that ultimately ended up with 16 points.

5. Rowe has fully regressed at this point, he is late coming over the top, he is out of position when we play cloud-2, about the only thing he does consistently well is tackle. Walker has done a capable job, but his ball skills are not up to par with what we need if we are going to compete.

6. Giving up the field goal right before half was unacceptable. We had just narrowed the score to 30-20, and we gave back any momentum that we had picked up with the late TD in the 2nd half.

7. I hope Manning is all that we need him to be. I have resigned myself to the inevitable that Wilson is done. If he was my kid, I would tell him to hang it up, even if cleared. Life has too much to give.

8. If we don't let a few assistants go this offseason, we are in trouble. This staff desperately needs an injection of new ideas, esp on the defensive side of the ball.

sancho
11-23-2013, 08:05 PM
our coaches are very, very, very bad at identifying talent

I think there is far more luck involved in this than most people would like to admit. You grab as many good high schoolers as possible and hope some of them work out. QBs in particular are a crapshoot.

jrj84105
11-23-2013, 08:14 PM
I think there is far more luck involved in this than most people would like to admit. You grab as many good high schoolers as possible and hope some of them work out. QBs in particular are a crapshoot.
With respect to QB, I stick by the evaluation that our staff has been clueless for this reason. Jon Hays.
When Chow arrived on staff, he must have nearly crapped himself seeing our QB depth. He grabbed a QB from a glorified community college which was discontinuing its FB program. How could BJ, AROD, and staff have had day in and day out coaching and evaluation opportunities with Shreve and Robles and still not recognize what a bad position we were in? They didn't misjudge HS kids who they saw on tape and in person a few times. The misjudged kids they practiced with every day. Can you imagine 2011 with Shreve at QB- a kid who can't even hold down the job on a JC team? That is what we had with the talent appraisal of BJ and AROD. Note that those are the same guys who brought in Cox and Manning-two QB's who can't beat out Schulz who is both a walkon and complete mismatch for our system.