PDA

View Full Version : Utes vs. St. Katherine's of the Poor: Official Game Thread

Applejack
11-22-2013, 01:12 PM
I am reserving this game thread over a month in advance for two reasons. First, this will be the first/only game I attend this year and second, I just came across a startling connection between the programs: not only is St Kathy's head coach named Scott Mitchell, but the 1st Assistant/head recruiter is a former Ute!

Does anyone remember this guy? I certainly don't, and I have an steel trap memory when it comes to random Ute walk-ons or guys married to Barbi.

GarthUte
11-22-2013, 02:18 PM
I am reserving this game thread over a month in advance for two reasons. First, this will be the first/only game I attend this year and second, I just came across a startling connection between the programs: not only is St Kathy's head coach named Scott Mitchell, but the 1st Assistant/head recruiter is a former Ute!

Does anyone remember this guy? I certainly don't, and I have an steel trap memory when it comes to random Ute walk-ons or guys married to Barbi.

Perhaps he was one of the gray shirts.

U-Ute
12-16-2013, 10:25 AM
I was doing a bit of research on this fine institution and realized that we didn't have a game thread for them yet. A travesty! How can we not have a thread primed and ready for the Mighty Firebirds of St. Katherine College!

When the Utes and the Firebirds clash, in will be one of the best 15 games in the history of St Katherine, in that it will be the 15th game of their storied history. A history that has seen them take to the hardwood against the likes of Menlo College, Occidental University, and Cal Maritime. I would love to be able to tell you that they won those games, but due to the layout of their schedule page (http://www.stkathbasketball.com/stkatherine-basketball-schedule), I am unable to tell you who won any of their games. I will assume that they won all of them. Especially because of the strategy (http://www.stkath.org/athletics/sports/mens-basketball/) used by their coach, Scott Mitchell:

My goal is to score 100 points every game, I think most players want to have that kind of freedom to create. We want our players to feel comfortable taking shots in transition. I don’t want to slow down and set up. We will have fun and play with confidence. We are looking for young men with the ability to do the academic work and comport themselves in a manner that will make their families and school proud of them on and off the court. We will build a program that will compete right away and schedule some D1 schools in the next few years. I’m available to answer your recruiting questions, and YES, we offer Basketball Scholarships!

100 points every game and scholarships? How can you compete against that?

One way to find out would be for Mr. Senioritis to give coach Mitchell a call, and invite him up to Farmington for a hot cocoa. His number is right on the page. A sign of a real big-time college atmosphere.

Here's to hoping we can hold them under 100!

sancho
12-16-2013, 10:27 AM
I was doing a bit of research on this fine institution and realized that we didn't have a game thread for them yet. A travesty! How can we not have a thread primed and ready for the Mighty Firebirds of St. Katherine College!

When the Utes and the Firebirds clash, in will be one of the best 15 games in the history of St Katherine, in that it will be the 15th game of their storied history. A history that has seen them take to the hardwood against the likes of Menlo College, Occidental University, and Cal Maritime. I would love to be able to tell you that they won those games, but due to the layout of their schedule page (http://www.stkathbasketball.com/stkatherine-basketball-schedule), I am unable to tell you who won any of their games. I will assume that they won all of them. Especially because of the strategy (http://www.stkath.org/athletics/sports/mens-basketball/) used by their coach, Scott Mitchell:

One way to find out would be for Mr. Senioritis to give coach Mitchell a call, and invite him up to Farmington for a hot cocoa. His number is right on the page. A sign of a real big-time college atmosphere.

I have a feeling that this game drops us back down to 351 in the Sagarin SOS ranking.

Applejack
12-16-2013, 12:28 PM

This is an outrage! There is a game thread on this important game already. Worse yet, it is OFFICIAL! http://www.utahby5.com/showthread.php?1267-Utes-vs-St-Katherine-s-of-the-Poor-Official-Game-Thread&highlight=poor

Mods, please fix this terrible problem.

Diehard Ute
12-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Are we just ignoring the Texas State game?

sancho
12-16-2013, 04:32 PM
Are we just ignoring the Texas State game?

It's hard to focus with someone like St Kat's coming to town.

U-Ute
12-17-2013, 09:03 AM
This is an outrage! There is a game thread on this important game already. Worse yet, it is OFFICIAL! http://www.utahby5.com/showthread.php?1267-Utes-vs-St-Katherine-s-of-the-Poor-Official-Game-Thread&highlight=poor

Mods, please fix this terrible problem.

Sorry. I missed this thread when I did a quick search.

I blame the fear in my soul that happened when I did my research on the Firebirds.

I have hopefully righted this terrible wrong.

FountainOfUte
12-17-2013, 10:41 PM
Would it be considered bad form to let the Lady Utes take the Runnin' Utes spot in this game? Perhaps our hockey club wants to try their hand at being two-sport athletes.

Seriously, what does LK do for this one? Is there any point to putting the starters in at all? I mean, you don't want to disrespect the opponent, but how exactly do we go about doing that in this case? Does that take the form of a 100-10 blowout playing them straight up or by offering up the end of our bench from the outset? I'm being totally sincere when I say that the microscopic chance that Loveridge could sprain a knee on his way down from a monster dunk or Wright getting randomly poked in the eye in a completely meaningless game makes it hard to justify putting them in at all. Throw Kovasevic, Van Dyke, Ogbe and a couple walk-ons into the game and run 'em till they puke.

Diehard Ute
12-17-2013, 11:10 PM
Word is this was a late replacement game when another team fell through

And it could be worse than just a bad team...they play in San Diego at 7pm on the 27th and here at 2pm the 28th.

But Texas State is up first

LA Ute
12-18-2013, 04:10 AM
I'll be in town with the fam and am attending this game. I wish I could be a little more excited about that.

Applejack
12-18-2013, 06:37 AM
I'll be in town with the fam and am attending this game. I wish I could be a little more excited about that.

You need to be a better student of this thread. U-Ute and I have posted a number of reasons to be pumped for this game (sorry Texas St, consider yourself overlooked).

1. They are coached by Scott Mitchell.
2. The top assistant played for the Utes under Fat Rick.
3. This is the most important game in the history of St. Katherine's.
4. This will be the only game that I attend all year (barring a tournament game on the East coast).

If that's not enough to get you to the game an hour early to watch warm-ups, I don't know what to tell you.

LA Ute
12-18-2013, 06:40 AM
You need to be a better student of this thread. U-Ute and I have posted a number of reasons to be pumped for this game (sorry Texas St, consider yourself overlooked).

1. They are coached by Scott Mitchell.
2. The top assistant played for the Utes under Fat Rick.
3. This is the most important game in the history of St. Katherine's.
4. This will be the only game that I attend all year (barring a tournament game on the East coast).

If that's not enough to get you to the game an hour early to watch warm-ups, I don't know what to tell you.

Oh, we'll go and we'll have fun. Just a different kind of fun than we would have had watching the BYU game, for example.

sancho
12-18-2013, 08:23 AM

Out of staters gather to the Huntsman! I'll be there as well. I'm expecting free entrance with a can of soup.

But I get to stay for Oregon on Jan 2.

U-Ute
12-18-2013, 08:59 AM
According to the Weber State basketball site (http://www.weberstatesports.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=39378&SPID=3470), the Wildcats beat the Firebirds 1007-36. The Firebirds are sure to be angry after such a devastating loss.

The Wildcats must have been amped up since their high profile game against UT Arlington was cancelled. I cannot see any other way that the Firebirds lose that game.

Diehard Ute
12-18-2013, 09:05 AM
Not sure I'll make this game, the start time is abysmal for me

Applejack
12-18-2013, 09:10 AM
Out of staters gather to the Huntsman! I'll be there as well. I'm expecting free entrance with a can of soup.

But I get to stay for Oregon on Jan 2.

Can some in-staters give me a weather report? Should I bring a gasmask or is the inversion supposed to be gone by then?

Not sure I'll make this game, the start time is abysmal for me

What could you possibly have scheduled on a Saturday at 2:00 in the afternoon?

Diehard Ute
12-18-2013, 09:10 AM
Can some in-staters give me a weather report? Should I bring a gasmask or is the inversion supposed to be gone by then?

What could you possibly have scheduled on a Saturday at 2:00 in the afternoon?

Sleep. I work from 2130 to 0730 Friday through Monday.

hostile
12-18-2013, 09:14 AM

I'm hoping it's gone but I would bring a gasmask. Storm tonight/tomorrow should provide some relief but not completely clear the air. :(

Applejack
12-18-2013, 09:14 AM
Sleep. I work from 2130 to 0730 Friday through Monday.

You don't see the Mighty Thunderbirds of St Kat's complaining about sleep, do you?

Diehard Ute
12-18-2013, 09:15 AM
You don't see the Mighty Thunderbirds of St Kat's complaining about sleep, do you?

Don't see them carrying guns on the court either

Applejack
12-18-2013, 09:16 AM

We have a pretty small sample size on them thusfar. Anything is possible on Saturday afternoon! :pistols:

U-Ute
12-18-2013, 09:18 AM

Well, what would be the point when you only hit one in every 5 shots you take (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/saint-katherine-college-firebirds-weber-state-wildcats-201312170633/)

:rimshot:

Diehard Ute
12-18-2013, 09:19 AM
Well, what would be a point when you only hit one in every 5 shots you take (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/saint-katherine-college-firebirds-weber-state-wildcats-201312170633/)

:rimshot:

They certainly would fail our qualification ;)

Applejack
12-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Well, what would be the point when you only hit one in every 5 shots you take (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/saint-katherine-college-firebirds-weber-state-wildcats-201312170633/)

Want to know the saddest thing about that linked boxscore? Click on any player from St. Kat's: it will redirect to a random player in the NCAA, but not the player on St. Kat's. The poor guys can't get any pub from the worldwide leader.
Can't wait for this game! :jig:

U-Ute
12-18-2013, 09:24 AM
Want to know what is the saddest thing about that linked boxscore? Click on any player from St. Kat's: it will redirect to a random player in the NCAA, but not the player on St. Kat's. Can't wait for this game! :jig:

I'm sure they are just trying to reduce their stalker problem.

SoCalPat
12-18-2013, 10:31 PM
After seeing the account of St. Kat's game against Weber, it's a travesty that this game is on the schedule. There are intramural teams at the U. that could beat St. Kat's. I don't care if St. Kat's is a replacement game -- both Utah and Weber should've cancelled their game against St. Kat's and played each other.

I hope our media relations people are wise to run away from any program bests that are set in this game. It would be embarrassing to prop up any "superlatives" from this game. On the other hand, the risk-reward factor is so out of whack for this game, if you're Larry, why do you even bother playing JL or Delon? The perfect result would be for us to win by 40-50, and someone like Ogbe or Fields going off for 20-plus, or Xan Ricketts gets a double-double.

LA Ute
12-18-2013, 10:47 PM
Travesty was the word that came to my mind too.

Applejack
12-19-2013, 08:13 AM
Boy, this thread just became a real downer. Thanks SoCalPat and LAUte. Apparently living in Southern California is bad for your mood.

Let's get back to the positives of this game:

- A confidence boost for the whole team.
- Kova gets some playing time.
- Lots of walk-on action.
- Freedom to try trick dunks.
- We can try new things, like left-handed free throws.
- Kryst can practice not wasting timeouts.
- Plenty of space to spread out in the Hunty.

Anyone planning on painting their face/chest?

Diehard Ute
12-19-2013, 08:48 AM
Boy, this thread just became a real downer. Thanks SoCalPat and LAUte. Apparently living in Southern California is bad for your mood.

Can't spread out. Ushers will chase you down to make sure your tickets are for the right section. (Seriously, we have some of the most unfriendly customer service)

LA Ute
12-19-2013, 09:35 AM

--Walk-ons can get enough minutes to letter (although I'm not sure how that works).
--Fans who are there with family visiting over Christmas will have more time to catch up.
--With a little focus anyone will have time to count the tiles in the Huntsman Center ceiling.
--Posting on UB5 will be easier and we can engage in some leisurely back-and forth.
--Kodiak and the Utes can work on in-bounds plays.
--AJ may paint his chest. Just tell us what yours will say, AJ, so we can pick you out from the others.

U-Ute
12-19-2013, 09:38 AM

We could practice for away games. I think that the crowd should cheer for the Firebirds.

Or maybe we should have the teams switch jerseys at halftime. Then we could see what kind of coach K really is coaching against his own guys.

Scratch
12-19-2013, 09:49 AM
I'd like to see them just give Loveridge, Wright, and Taylor the night off. Those 3 have been playing a lot of minutes, and it would also give us the chance to see some of the other guys get some time. I'd also be very interested to see how Van Dyke could do running the point.

SoCalPat
12-19-2013, 10:59 AM
I'd like to see them just give Loveridge, Wright, and Taylor the night off. Those 3 have been playing a lot of minutes, and it would also give us the chance to see some of the other guys get some time. I'd also be very interested to see how Van Dyke could do running the point.

Van Dyke should look like Delon against these guys and we know he's not. That doesn't tell us anything. Again, all risk, no reward. It's the varsity HS basketball player playing in the driveway against his little brother's friends. Of course he's going to be dominant.

Scratch
12-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Van Dyke should look like Delon against these guys and we know he's not. That doesn't tell us anything. Again, all risk, no reward. It's the varsity HS basketball player playing in the driveway against his little brother's friends. Of course he's going to be dominant.

I agree generally, but I still think you could glean a little bit from seeing him run the team for 30 minutes. It obviously wouldn't prove anything, but it would at least be a bit of a data point.

Applejack
12-19-2013, 11:18 AM
OK, this is better. SoCalPat is right - there is nothing to be "learned" from this game. We need to approach this game like the Globetrotters approach a home game against the Washington Generals. I expect no less than three backboard alley-oops and a couple of half court hook shots. If we run a vanilla game plan and don't try at least one exotic defense (1-1-1-2?), I'm asking for my can of soup back.

Good luck finding me in the packed house, but I will be the one with his chest-painted with the word XAN.

SoCalPat
12-19-2013, 11:43 AM
OK, this is better. SoCalPat is right - there is nothing to be "learned" from this game. We need to approach this game like the Globetrotters approach a home game against the Washington Generals. I expect no less than three backboard alley-oops and a couple of half court hook shots. If we run a vanilla game plan and don't try at least one exotic defense (1-1-1-2?), I'm asking for my can of soup back.

Good luck finding me in the packed house, but I will be the one with his chest-painted with the word XAN.

As opposed to a road game against the Generals? When has that ever happened?

I wish I could join you in solidarity for my favorite-named walk-on.

U-Ute
12-20-2013, 02:00 PM
I can't wait for this game to start.

BTW, when is it?

Applejack
12-20-2013, 02:05 PM
I can't wait for this game to start.

BTW, when is it?

EXCELLENT ATTITUDE! Tip-off is Saturday December 28th at 2:00 PM, a fine time for a basketball game. I'm trying to come up with some clever ideas for signs as we speak.

Ex'dute
12-23-2013, 06:38 PM
I'm calling it right now -- Xan will get a double-double during this game!

Then afterward Xan will get a double-double at In-'N-Out to celebrate!

Rocker Ute
12-27-2013, 12:49 PM

I'm hoping that we get to see what we did against the GeoDucks which was essentially an 8 point play. Basically we came down and scored and did a full-court press and stole the ball. Scored again, pressed, stole the ball, scored, pressed, stole, scored... finally they called the dogs off, but it all happened in the matter of about 15 seconds I believe. It was reminiscent of the Harlem Globe Trotters vs the Generals.

Homer Crimson
12-27-2013, 04:48 PM
It was reminiscent of the Harlem Globe Trotters vs the Generals.

Ugh, now I have to stay current on multiple MBs. I thought I was being original running Globetrotter smack over on uf.n.

I agree that none of the starters should see any playing time tonight. In fact, I'd love it if they spotted them 20 uncontested baskets to start. If you think that's living dangerously, you didn't see the Weber State score against these palookas.

SoCalPat
12-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Ugh, now I have to stay current on multiple MBs. I thought I was being original running Globetrotter smack over on uf.n.

I agree that none of the starters should see any playing time tonight. In fact, I'd love it if they spotted them 20 uncontested baskets to start. If you think that's living dangerously, you didn't see the Weber State score against these palookas.

I'd settle for letting them start with their point total tonight from last night's game against San Diego State.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/12/27/6031267/no-20-sdsu-routs-st-katherine.html

The highlights:

The Firebirds at least hit the rim on their first six shots, with their first air ball coming on their seventh shot, by White. St. Katherine's first point, a free throw by Alex Perez, pulled the Firebirds to 13-1. Their first field goal, a left-handed shot by Dante Miller, made it 20-3 with 12:30 to go in the first half.

It was the second-largest margin in the country this season. Utah — which hosts St. Katherine on Saturday afternoon — beat Evergreen State 128-44 on Nov. 8. It was the fifth-largest since the beginning of the 2009-10 season.

SeattleUte
12-28-2013, 10:09 AM
St. Katherine's just started DI ball this season. They need to play some DI teams. Somebody has to play them.

Jarid in Cedar
12-28-2013, 11:13 AM
St. Katherine's just started DI ball this season. They need to play some DI teams. Somebody has to play them.

It is their first season, but they are NAIA

SoCalPat
12-28-2013, 01:09 PM
It is their first season, but they are NAIA

Their conference web site hasn't even updated yet to show that St. Kat's is a member.

http://www.pcacsports.org/members.html

U-Ute
12-28-2013, 02:30 PM
The over under on the total number of points scored by St Kats? 30? 35?

SoCalPat
12-28-2013, 02:51 PM
The over under on the total number of points scored by St Kats? 30? 35?

I'll set the line at 40.5

SoCalPat
12-28-2013, 02:55 PM
I'll set the line at 40.5

OK, I obviously made that line before even seeing we were playing right now and held St. Kat's to just 14 first-half points. I doubt they'll get to 35.

LA Ute
12-28-2013, 03:21 PM
I am at the game. No sign of Applejack. In a severe blow to his credibility, he apparently lied about painting his chest.

I am enjoying my bratwurst more than the game. Honestly, what do the Utes get out of playing this team?

LA Ute
12-28-2013, 03:25 PM
If anyone is here, I am in section N, row 17. Come by and say hi.

U-Ute
12-28-2013, 03:33 PM
OK, I obviously made that line before even seeing we were playing right now and held St. Kat's to just 14 first-half points. I doubt they'll get to 35.

I figured the Utes would get sloppy and the Firebirds would get more than 15 points in the second half.

LOL

U-Ute
12-28-2013, 03:34 PM

All you needed to say was you were in section N. Pretty easy to spot from there.

U-Ute
I am at the game. No sign of Applejack. In a severe blow to his credibility, he apparently lied about painting his chest.

I am enjoying my bratwurst more than the game. Honestly, what do the Utes get out of playing this team?

Not having to practice this week.

LA Ute
Kovacevic is playing for the first time today, so at least we have that. He just got his 3rd foul.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-28-2013, 03:36 PM
Geez. Where's the defensive effort. This might be St Katherine's best offensive showing of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

LA Ute
12-28-2013, 03:39 PM
All you needed to say was you were in section N. Pretty easy to spot from there.

Oh, come on. There are at least 50 people around me. Kinda. There's a really cute baby sitting right in front of me and she is more fun to watch than the game. Almost.

U-Ute
12-28-2013, 03:43 PM
Going into this game, I was worried they would "play down" to the level of the opponent. Especially coming off of Christmas break. As far as I could tell, it looked like the team kept their focus and played hard.

At least until the 8 minute mark when all of the scrubs started coming in. Things have gotten a bit ragged since then.

That shows some solid discipline.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-28-2013, 03:49 PM

If it weren't for a sick kid delaying our trip north by a day, I would have treated the family to their first Utah basketball "game." I would have wandered over to shake your hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

U-Ute
12-28-2013, 03:54 PM
Spoiler alert! Utah wins: 124-51

Who had Utah -73?

I was trying to remember the largest margin of victory we ever had. I have it in some media guide somewhere. It seems like it was close to a 100 points or so. Evansville or something like that

Diehard Ute
12-28-2013, 03:58 PM
Spoiler alert! Utah wins: 124-51

Who had Utah -73?

I was trying to remember the largest margin of victory we ever had. I have it in some media guide somewhere. It seems like it was close to a 100 points or so. Evansville or something like that

94 I think

Second was set against the Geoducks at 84 I believe.

SeattleUte
12-28-2013, 04:00 PM
No injuries?

Diehard Ute
12-28-2013, 04:04 PM
No injuries?

None. The reserves played almost all of the second half.

SoCalPat
12-28-2013, 05:32 PM
Going into this game, I was worried they would "play down" to the level of the opponent. Especially coming off of Christmas break. As far as I could tell, it looked like the team kept their focus and played hard.

At least until the 8 minute mark when all of the scrubs started coming in. Things have gotten a bit ragged since then.

That shows some solid discipline.

The only way we could've "played down" to the level of St. Kat's was to have our entire team showing up drunk or hungover.

LA Ute
12-28-2013, 05:42 PM
The only way we could've "played down" to the level of St. Kat's was to have our entire team showing up drunk or hungover.

It was pathetic to watch.

U-Ute
12-28-2013, 06:15 PM

Not necessarily. We could've been sloppy and not focused. We seemed focused and crisp.

LA Ute
12-28-2013, 06:44 PM
Interesting twist on the Saint Katherine game -- the Majerus coaching tree is involved.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865593174/Utah-basketball-Former-guard-David-Reichner-talks-about-his-playing-days-life-as-an-assistant.html?pg=1

Scratch
12-28-2013, 06:53 PM
Not necessarily. We could've been sloppy and not focused. We seemed focused and crisp.

I'm not sure how focused and crisp we were; 14 turnovers against that team was ridiculous, and a lot of them were sloppy and lazy.

On a positive note, I really liked what Ogbe did with the ball in his hands. He's really smooth for someone his size and sees the court extremely well. You can tell that he has a lot of experience running the point.

OrangeUte
12-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Well, that was dominating. I'm looking forward to PAC 12 play to see how we stand up to consistent competition.

LA Ute
12-29-2013, 12:30 AM
Quick St. Katherine facts:

Enrollment: 102 (15 states represented); 19% Hispanic, 11% African American, 2% Asian American, 2% Pacific Islander; 12 different denominations represented.

102 students? :Ashamed:

The Thrill
12-29-2013, 09:50 AM
Quick St. Katherine facts: 102 students? :Ashamed:

1/9 of the school plays basketball, those are amazing odds. I recall reading somewhere that they were a player short after open tryouts so they combed the local 24 Hour Fitness and filled out the roster with the best player on the court.

When does their Disney film come out?

GarthUte
12-30-2013, 01:37 PM
I never thought I would get bored watching a Utah game. There have been times when I stopped watching out of frustration, but boredom?

U-Ute
12-31-2013, 07:23 AM
From the It Could Always Be Worse Department: Southern beat the misnamed Champion Baptist 116-12 (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/champion-baptist-college-tigers-southern-university-jaguars-201312300241/).

:flush:

Applejack
01-04-2014, 07:56 AM
What a game! I'm two weeks late in posting this review, but I'm sure that everyone on this board is still giddy over the beatdown we put on St. Kattys. It was my first game at the Hunty since Jimmer happened, so I feel like a freshly bathed infant. Some highlights:

- Warmups. St Katherine's didn't even shoot around before the game. I guess if you played SDSU less than 12 hours earlier, you might not need to warmup.
- St Katty's starting center. The program listed him as 6''7' 190. If he weighs 190, Karl Malone barely cracked 200 in his prime. That guy was a tub of butter with glasses and a bowl cut. Speaking of which, how does a guy from Brooklyn have a bowl cut? Shouldn't he be either a gangster or a hipster? Maybe bowl cuts are back, I don't know.
- St Katty's offense. They tried to push the tempo, which is an interesting strategy when you suck rocks. The only time they effectively scored the ball was when we cleared our bench. With PVD, Fields, and Ogbe in the game, they had their 34 year old wolf-like 2 guard run the attack. The guy was undoubtedly an incredible pickup baller as he hit a couple of tough layins in a row. On his last one (basket and a foul) he stuck his tongue out and looked at his bench like he'd just tied the game. The lead was 64 at that point.
- Kovacevic. I'm not impressed. He will be a liability on defense all year. He doesn't move his feet well and he's undersized. I'm not sure he will take any minutes away from Olsen/Lenz. Is it possible we burned his redshirt because LarryKry doesn't want him eating up a scholarship for three years?
- Fields/Ogbe. This is the first extended run for both of these freshman. I'm still not sure what we have, but both guys are really long and mobile. My impression is that the coaches envision a lock-down defender role for Fields - he has the length/quickness, but he's a long way from being effective. He gets beat easily off the dribble because he doesn't stay low enough (instead he relies on his length like Kirilenko used to do, but he's not as long as Kirilenko). He's also out of shape, as he was winded after playing for about 6 minutes. I get the sense that the coaches view Ogbe as a point guard once Wright graduates. He has very good vision and is big for a pg. I'm not sold on his handle just yet, but it wasn't ridiculously bad.
- PVD. The ghost is a heady basketball player. He makes good decisions and shoots in the right spots. He is terrible on defense, however. I think his role will be bench scorer for all 4 years at the U. That's fine, we need someone to fill that role.
- Delon Wright looked really disinterested in this game. Me too.
- Olsen's hands are not good. He drops a lot of entry passes. When he catches the ball he does good things with it, but he drops two or three a game. Reminds me of Ostertag.
- Swoop. Has swoop lost weight? He looked emaciated out there. He looks like a bunch of my high school friends who spent all day doing bench press and never lifted legs. Maybe the chicken look is what we are going for.

Interesting twist on the Saint Katherine game -- the Majerus coaching tree is involved.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865593174/Utah-basketball-Former-guard-David-Reichner-talks-about-his-playing-days-life-as-an-assistant.html?pg=1

LA, you need to be a better student of my (original) posts. I scooped the Deznewz by nearly a month!

LA Ute
01-04-2014, 04:21 PM
What a game! I'm two weeks late in posting this review, but I'm sure that everyone on this board is still giddy over the beatdown we put on St. Kattys. It was my first game at the Hunty since Jimmer happened, so I feel like a freshly bathed infant. Some highlights:

- Warmups. St Katherine's didn't even shoot around before the game. I guess if you played SDSU less than 12 hours earlier, you might not need to warmup.
- St Katty's starting center. The program listed him as 6''7' 190. If he weighs 190, Karl Malone barely cracked 200 in his prime. That guy was a tub of butter with glasses and a bowl cut. Speaking of which, how does a guy from Brooklyn have a bowl cut? Shouldn't he be either a gangster or a hipster? Maybe bowl cuts are back, I don't know.
- St Katty's offense. They tried to push the tempo, which is an interesting strategy when you suck rocks. The only time they effectively scored the ball was when we cleared our bench. With PVD, Fields, and Ogbe in the game, they had their 34 year old wolf-like 2 guard run the attack. The guy was undoubtedly an incredible pickup baller as he hit a couple of tough layins in a row. On his last one (basket and a foul) he stuck his tongue out and looked at his bench like he'd just tied the game. The lead was 64 at that point.
- Kovacevic. I'm not impressed. He will be a liability on defense all year. He doesn't move his feet well and he's undersized. I'm not sure he will take any minutes away from Olsen/Lenz. Is it possible we burned his redshirt because LarryKry doesn't want him eating up a scholarship for three years?
- Fields/Ogbe. This is the first extended run for both of these freshman. I'm still not sure what we have, but both guys are really long and mobile. My impression is that the coaches envision a lock-down defender role for Fields - he has the length/quickness, but he's a long way from being effective. He gets beat easily off the dribble because he doesn't stay low enough (instead he relies on his length like Kirilenko used to do, but he's not as long as Kirilenko). He's also out of shape, as he was winded after playing for about 6 minutes. I get the sense that the coaches view Ogbe as a point guard once Wright graduates. He has very good vision and is big for a pg. I'm not sold on his handle just yet, but it wasn't ridiculously bad.
- PVD. The ghost is a heady basketball player. He makes good decisions and shoots in the right spots. He is terrible on defense, however. I think his role will be bench scorer for all 4 years at the U. That's fine, we need someone to fill that role.
- Delon Wright looked really disinterested in this game. Me too.
- Olsen's hands are not good. He drops a lot of entry passes. When he catches the ball he does good things with it, but he drops two or three a game. Reminds me of Ostertag.
- Swoop. Has swoop lost weight? He looked emaciated out there. He looks like a bunch of my high school friends who spent all day doing bench press and never lifted legs. Maybe the chicken look is what we are going for.

LA, you need to be a better student of my (original) posts. I scooped the Deznewz by nearly a month!

Surely you didn't think we would not notice here the glaring absence of any explanation for your failure to paint your chest. (Notice I didn't refer to it as a broken promise, but I could have.)