PDA

View Full Version : The Utes vs The Boise State Triple Steak Stack Combo

U-Ute
11-28-2013, 10:44 AM
The Utes go in to Taco Bell Arena feeling like men, but they have yet to prove themselves on the road. The Utes acquitted themselves last year against the Broncos, but the last time the Utes went to Boise in 2011, they lost 80-59. So there is some sense of urgency.

This is going to be an important game to see how well the Utes respond on the road.

The Thrill
11-29-2013, 12:14 PM
Triple Steak Stack Combo.

I didn't read anything after that, now I'm off to Taco Bell

LA Ute
11-29-2013, 12:28 PM
I didn't read anything after that, now I'm off to Taco Bell

Your avatar is awesome.

SoCalPat
11-29-2013, 01:58 PM
this is going to be an important game to see how well the utes respond against a quality opponent.

fify

U-Ute
11-29-2013, 06:23 PM
fify

Admittedly, I don't know much about them. We beat them pretty handily last year, and they haven't really played anyone yet this year, so I wasn't thinking about their talent level. I was just remembering how we played on the road all last year.

SoCalPat
11-29-2013, 10:23 PM
Admittedly, I don't know much about them. We beat them pretty handily last year, and they haven't really played anyone yet this year, so I wasn't thinking about their talent level. I was just remembering how we played on the road all last year.

Boise was a tournament team last year and their game against us was easily the low point of their regular season. We will not face a better scoring backcourt this year in Drmic and Marks. Like us, they're a bit suspect inside. They were picked to finish third in the MWC.

I expect Vegas to have us as 6 to 10 point underdogs. It would be a phenomenal win no matter it occurred.

GarthUte
11-29-2013, 11:29 PM
Boise was a tournament team last year and their game against us was easily the low point of their regular season. We will not face a better scoring backcourt this year in Drmic and Marks. Like us, they're a bit suspect inside. They were picked to finish third in the MWC.

I expect Vegas to have us as 6 to 10 point underdogs. It would be a phenomenal win no matter it occurred.

Is it just me thinking this, or is it really sad to recognize how far Utah hoops has fallen when the above bolded comment about playing Boise State is accurate?

SoCalPat
11-29-2013, 11:52 PM
Is it just me thinking this, or is it really sad to recognize how far Utah hoops has fallen when the above bolded comment about playing Boise State is accurate?

It's just you. Boise has really elevated its game in hoops. How far Utah has fallen is irrelevant. If we won 20 games last year, the part you bolded would still be accurate.

#1 Utefan
11-30-2013, 07:12 AM
Nah, Boise St. sucks. If this was the Rick Majerus era, we wouldn't be talking as. if going into Boise was the equivalent of a road game at UCLA or Arizona.

They may be improved over what they've been traditionally but it is Bozo St. and Boise afterall. They are potato zoobs and have one of the worst fanbases I have ever had the misfortune of interacting with in my life.

SeattleUte
11-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Nah, Boise St. sucks. If this was the Rick Majerus era, we wouldn't be talking as. if going into Boise was the equivalent of a road game at UCLA or Arizona.

They may be improved over what they've been traditionally but it is Bozo St. and Boise afterall. They are potato zoobs and have one of the worst fanbases I have ever had the misfortune of interacting with in my life.

Yes.

SeattleUte
12-02-2013, 10:44 AM
One thing that makes this game hard to predict is that Boise may have played an easier schedule than we have.

U-Ute
12-02-2013, 11:47 AM

Our strength is definitely on the guard/wing as well. It will be interesting to see if our guys step up to the challenge.

I'm not sure "phenomenol" is the right word, but I'll be very happy if we win. I think this game will be a barometer for the BYU game.

SoCalPat
12-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Our strength is definitely on the guard/wing as well. It will be interesting to see if our guys step up to the challenge.

I'm not sure "phenomenol" is the right word, but I'll be very happy if we win. I think this game will be a barometer for the BYU game.

Phenomenal in the sense of what our non-con sked is like and the trajectory we're hoping the program maintains. Winning tonight would satisfy a lot of "best evers" under the current regime.

Also, BSU is 8.5 point favorites. Swish!

Applejack
12-03-2013, 08:30 AM
Phenomenal in the sense of what our non-con sked is like and the trajectory we're hoping the program maintains. Winning tonight would satisfy a lot of "best evers" under the current regime.

I'm excited for this game. Lots of unknowns: how will we handle playing outside the Hunty, is Boise any good, are we any good, will we get production from the three-headed Lenz-Olsen-Batshit trio?

sancho
12-03-2013, 08:35 AM
the three-headed Lenz-Olsen-Batshit trio?

Kova was just cleared to play too. Not sure he gets in until late when we have a large lead.

U-Ute
12-03-2013, 09:24 AM

I would think that our win over Cal in last year's PAC-12 Tournament would still rank higher than a win in Boise, but I agree that it would be a big step for the program as a whole.

It makes me wonder if you missed your true calling.

Mormon Red Death
12-03-2013, 11:40 AM

10 points at Caesars right now

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

SeattleUte
12-03-2013, 11:52 AM
I would think that our win over Cal in last year's PAC-12 Tournament would still rank higher than a win in Boise, but I agree that it would be a big step for the program as a whole.

What about last season's win over Oregon.

SoCalPat
12-03-2013, 12:16 PM

I said it would satisfy a lot of best-evers, not all. Winning tonight would be our most meaningful non-conference win, road win, etc.

SoCalPat
12-03-2013, 12:17 PM
10 points at Caesars right now

Some movement on this one early. The sharps don't like us.

U-Ute
12-03-2013, 12:37 PM
What about last season's win over Oregon.

Great win too. I think it set us up for our run in the tournament. But I would rank a tournament win over a home win.

SoCalPat
12-03-2013, 02:05 PM
One thing that makes this game hard to predict is that Boise may have played an easier schedule than we have.

We're the start of a very tough stretch of games for BSU. They host St. Mary's next Tuesday, play at Kentucky then head over to Hawaii for the Diamondhead Classic. I believe that's the tournament that pretty much sealed Boylen's fate when we finished dead last and lost to San Diego in the 7th place game.

UBlender
12-03-2013, 04:08 PM
We're the start of a very tough stretch of games for BSU. They host St. Mary's next Tuesday, play at Kentucky then head over to Hawaii for the Diamondhead Classic. I believe that's the tournament that pretty much sealed Boylen's fate when we finished dead last and lost to San Diego in the 7th place game.

That was the exact moment I became numb to the Boylen Era. Wasn't it on Christmas Day? From that San Diego game on, I wasn't out calling for Boylen's head but I could also no longer muster the resolve to argue that he was the right guy for the job.

I hope Jim gets another chance somewhere. I'd love to see how he would do with another go round.

SoCalPat
12-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Beyond pissed off. Sitting on side of I-84 waiting for tow truck after car spun out of control on snowy road and onto grassy center median and blew a tire. No game report from Taco Bell Arena from me.

hostile
12-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Beyond pissed off. Sitting on side of I-84 waiting for tow truck after car spun out of control on snowy road and onto grassy center median and blew a tire. No game report from Taco Bell Arena from me.
Oh man, that sucks. Glad you're OK.

LA Ute
12-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Oh man, that sucks. Glad you're OK.

Ditto. Be safe, SCP.

Mormon Red Death
12-03-2013, 08:44 PM
This ejection is bullshit

LA Ute
12-03-2013, 08:44 PM
That flagrant foul call was was astonishingly bad.

DrumNFeather
12-03-2013, 08:45 PM

Absolutely ridiculous.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

chrisrenrut
12-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Anyone know where this referee crew is from?

GarthUte
12-03-2013, 08:47 PM
If that is considered a flagrant 2, then every NCAA officiating crew needs to be consistent for the entire season, no matter the conference.

hostile
12-03-2013, 08:48 PM
If that is considered a flagrant 2, then every NCAA officiating crew needs to be consistent for the entire season, no matter the conference.
No kidding. Bad call.

hostile
12-03-2013, 08:52 PM
For as poorly as we have shot from outside I'm surprised we are only down by 7.

sancho
12-03-2013, 09:03 PM

I question the intelligence of anyone who could look at that review for 5 minutes and then eject Onwas. No, I take that back - I don't have to question their intelligence; it is clearly subhuman.

Diehard Ute
12-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Onwas twitter as retweeted by Tony Jones "OMG"

Jones can't believe the call either.

LA Ute
12-03-2013, 09:13 PM
I hope the lid comes off the hoop for us. We also need to stop them from getting so easily to the hoop.

Diehard Ute
12-03-2013, 09:14 PM
This is now two straight games an opposing coach has come onto the floor, stomping his foot and waving his arms...and the officials have ignored it (the last game the ball was live)

I really don't understand the 2013 world of college basketball officiating.

Diehard Ute
12-03-2013, 09:15 PM
I hope the lid comes off the hoop for us. We also need to stop them from getting so easily to the hoop.

Losing Onwas hurts...he's probably our best perimeter defender

hostile
12-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Loveridge!!!

LA Ute
12-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Loveridge!!!

If he heats up in this half we have a shot.

LA Ute
12-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Ogbe!?!!!

sancho
12-03-2013, 09:26 PM
Why do these morons think they owe Boise a 3 second violation make up call?

LA Ute
12-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Ogbe!!!

Diehard Ute
12-03-2013, 09:29 PM
Excellent ball movement in the second half

UtahDan
12-03-2013, 09:36 PM
This Boise crowd is reacting like we're Duke. That's confusing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

LA Ute
12-03-2013, 09:37 PM
BSU getting all these open looks must be driving Kodiak nuts.

sancho
12-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Will this be the first game we lose on poor FT shooting?

hostile
12-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Gotta hold off this run.

Diehard Ute
12-03-2013, 09:41 PM
This Boise crowd is reacting like we're Duke. That's confusing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

It's Boise...they just got Gone With The Wind in the first run theater

LA Ute
12-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Simple boxing out would have avoided a few of the BSU baskets.

LA Ute
12-03-2013, 09:46 PM
Why are they getting to the hoop so easily, time after time?

LA Ute
12-03-2013, 09:51 PM
FT shooting pretty disappointing.

LA Ute
12-03-2013, 09:54 PM
Wright looking like a pretty doggone good get by Kodiak. Amazing.

sancho
12-03-2013, 09:57 PM
A shot from Lenz with a 1 pnt lead and a minute left is not what I want.

LA Ute
12-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Ouch, Delon.

Diehard Ute
12-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Wrights lack of big time experience shows there unfortunately.

Win or lose this team is showing a lot of improvement.

LA Ute
12-03-2013, 10:02 PM
A shot from Lenz with a 1 pnt lead and a minute left is not what I want.

A fancy hook shot, no less.

LA Ute
12-03-2013, 10:07 PM
Well, after a football season of close losses, we may be tired of them; but I think this is a close game that we can feel OK about. It seems to me the problems are clearly addressable.

I guess there wasn't much the Utes could do about BSU's terrific free throw defense. ;)

hostile
12-03-2013, 10:11 PM
Had our chances. Poor shooting in the first half and too many missed free throws. I like this team. Good to see them battle back in the second half.

Jeff Lebowski
12-03-2013, 10:19 PM
Well, after a football season of close losses, we may be tired of them; but I think this is a close game that we can feel OK about. It seems to me the problems are clearly addressable.

I guess there wasn't much the Utes could do about BSU's terrific free throw defense. ;)

So the Utes beat themselves?

Jeff Lebowski
12-03-2013, 10:22 PM

That flagrant foul call was was astonishingly bad.

Absolutely ridiculous.

No kidding. Bad call.

This is karma for you folks calling Nate Austin a thug.

Ma'ake
12-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Boise's clearly an experienced Big Dance team.

Delon is the key to this season. If he gets aggressive in looking for points, all kinds of things open up. What a monster stat line in the toughest game of the year, so far: 15/11/7/4

JLove needs to just be consistently more aggressive.

Dakarai needs to get it in gear, or he'll be riding pine.

Ogbe is contributing quicker than I thought.

Taylor is Taylor (which is good).

Bachinsky is having fun and looking really good. Delon makes him significantly better. Delon makes everyone look better.

Van Dyke will start knocking down the 3s as we break down defenses.

Lenz is solid.

kccougar
12-03-2013, 10:25 PM
This is now two straight games an opposing coach has come onto the floor, stomping his foot and waving his arms...and the officials have ignored it (the last game the ball was live)

I really don't understand the 2013 world of college basketball officiating.

This is karma for Jim Boylen ;)

LA Ute
12-03-2013, 10:29 PM
So the Utes beat themselves?

No, I'll break it down for you. The Utes lost to a team that played better than they did. The reference to "terriifc free throw defense" was a joke about how bad Utah's free throw shooting was in clutch situations. I know irony is tough for engineers to grasp, but you need to step up your game, Duderino!

Oh, and Austin is the thuggiest thug ever to play in the Bleacher Palace. Just awful.

Ma'ake
12-03-2013, 10:39 PM
Give Boise credit, they did what they needed to to win, and have a number of skilled players that know how to win. Tough environment.

The Utes are still finding themselves, but our length and athleticism alone make us a much, much better team than we've been. Once guys settle in and figure out how to play defense consistently, and our offensive identity emerges, I think this is a game we would have won, 7 out of 10 times.

The call on Onwas was just weird, Abdelnaby was right as they showed it over & over. How the refs got to a flagrant 2 is a real mystery.

But more importantly our depth made it a moot point. We can search for the hot hand and play them, because defensively we are versatile.

We haven't really seen size yet, but this team is a lot of fun to watch.

Jeff Lebowski
12-03-2013, 10:41 PM
No, I'll break it down for you. The Utes lost to a team that played better than they did. The reference to "terriifc free throw defense" was a joke about how bad Utah's free throw shooting was in clutch situations. I know irony is tough for engineers to grasp, but you need to step up your game, Duderino!

In other words, they beat themselves. Gotcha.

Oh, and Austin is the thuggiest thug ever to play in the Bleacher Palace. Just awful.

The last thug in the building was that Henderson kid. Too bad he bailed on your program. I miss that guy.

Jeff Lebowski
12-03-2013, 10:44 PM
The Utes lost to a team that played better than they did.

True, but....

Yes.

Ouch.

LA Ute
12-03-2013, 10:53 PM
In other words, they beat themselves. Gotcha.

Sheesh. Is that what a combined BYU-UT education gets you? "They lost to a team that played better than they did" means "they beat themselves?" Besides, don't you guys have a victory to go celebrate?

SoCalPat
12-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Onwas' ejection was garbage and led to Ogbe getting more minutes, but his 3s were fools gold in that Ogbe simply cannot defend, and Boise was able to get into the paint at will. Ogbe also had as many rebounds as you or me.

SeattleUte
12-03-2013, 10:58 PM
True, but....

Ouch.

You missed the point. What else is new.

LA Ute
12-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Onwas' ejection was garbage and led to Ogbe getting more minutes, but his 3s were fools gold in that Ogbe simply cannot defend, and Boise was able to get into the paint at will. Ogbe also had as many rebounds as you or me.

To call that contact even a Flagrant 1 would be a huge stretch. To call it a Flagrant 2 is beyond the pale.

sancho
12-03-2013, 11:09 PM
To call that contact even a Flagrant 1 would be a huge stretch. To call it a Flagrant 2 is beyond the pale.

It's too bad that the job of referee is not attractive enough to bring in intelligent people. I can understand bad calls in the middle of quick action. But to watch the replay for 5 minutes and decide that there was something malicious intended can only be attributed to idiocy.

SoCalPat
12-03-2013, 11:14 PM
Exactly. Onwas has the ball. Anyone watching the game is watching him. You can probably count on one hand the number of malicious acts IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME that have been committed by a player with the ball. Give him the flagrant 1 for the "blow" to the head ... I get that. But an ejection? Total horseshit and nowhere close to satisfying the rule's intent.

kccougar
12-03-2013, 11:15 PM
It's too bad that the job of referee is not attractive enough to bring in intelligent people. I can understand bad calls in the middle of quick action. But to watch the replay for 5 minutes and decide that there was something malicious intended can only be attributed to idiocy.

I'm sure you will correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the classification of flagrant fouls depends on intent.

EDIT: As indicated, officials are not asked to judge intent when issuing a foul call...

The panel also approved a change in nomenclature on fouls that are deemed more severe than a “common” foul in both men’s and women’s basketball. The terms “Flagrant 1” and “Flagrant 2” will now be used. A Flagrant 1 foul takes the place of an intentional foul and the Flagrant 2 foul replaces the previous flagrant foul. An example of a Flagrant 1 foul would be when a player swings an elbow and makes illegal, non-excessive contact with an opponent above the shoulders. The team whose player was struck would receive two free throws and possession of the ball. Previously, this type of foul was called an intentional foul. The committee wanted to move away from the word “intentional,” because a player’s intent was never the point to the rule.
An example of a Flagrant 2 foul would be when a player swings an elbow excessively and makes contact with an opponent above the shoulders. In this case, the player who threw the elbow would be ejected from the game, and the other team would receive two free throws and the ball.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/2011-05-26/prop-approves-rules-changes

hostile
12-03-2013, 11:17 PM

K was pretty diplomatic in the post-game interview, indicating that this was a highly experienced crew with final 4 experience. He noted that they have worked with the players on avoiding the type of contact with high elbows in that type of situation. It seems that this represents a change in how the game will be played/officiated. Most of us were taught that if you want to lead with your chin in going after the ball don't be surprised if you catch an elbow. Players were taught to pivot with the elbows up at chin level, keeping the ball high. I think you will see a concerted effort by refs to call any contact to the head/face, particulary in the early games.

Diehard Ute
12-03-2013, 11:28 PM

Given how well NCAA officials are paid their lack of quality is frustrating.

sancho
12-03-2013, 11:32 PM
K was pretty diplomatic in the post-game interview, indicating that this was a highly experienced crew with final 4 experience. He noted that they have worked with the players on avoiding the type of contact with high elbows in that type of situation. It seems that this represents a change in how the game will be played/officiated. Most of us were taught that if you want to lead with your chin in going after the ball don't be surprised if you catch an elbow. Players were taught to pivot with the elbows up at chin level, keeping the ball high. I think you will see a concerted effort by refs to call any contact to the head/face, particulary in the early games.

Boooooooo! Boooooooo!

Anyway, I don't think Onwas is really a difference maker for us tonight. We needed to make better decisions down the stretch, and we needed to wake up earlier offensively. Plus, Marks was clutch with his jumpers at the end.

hostile
12-03-2013, 11:37 PM
Boooooooo! Boooooooo!

Anyway, I don't think Onwas is really a difference maker for us tonight. We needed to make better decisions down the stretch, and we needed to wake up earlier offensively. Plus, Marks was clutch with his jumpers at the end.

I don't like it either. I just think that's what you are going to see.

Diehard Ute
12-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Boooooooo! Boooooooo!

Maybe, maybe not. Onwas is our defensive stopper, but we'll never know

Rocker Ute
12-03-2013, 11:49 PM
This is karma for you folks calling Nate Austin a thug.

Nate Austin is a massive thug. If here were on a reality TV show to determine who the biggest thug was he'd be making and breaking alliances all the way to a million dollar thug life.

I bet that guy signs up for welfare assignments and then doesn't show up on purpose.

LA Ute
12-04-2013, 04:37 AM
I'm sure you will correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the classification of flagrant fouls depends on intent.

EDIT: As indicated, officials are not asked to judge intent when issuing a foul call...

http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/2011-05-26/prop-approves-rules-changes

Maybe they've moved away from the word "intentional" but it seems they have moved to the word "excessively." Still a judgment call, it seems to me. Anyway, thanks for coming here. You and JL have helped a lot. I'm sure the folks at CS would appreciate one of us doing the same thing if the tables were turned.

sancho
12-04-2013, 06:41 AM
Maybe they've moved away from the word "intentional" but it seems they have moved to the word "excessively." Still a judgment call, it seems to me. Anyway, thanks for coming here. You and JL have helped a lot. I'm sure the folks at CS would appreciate one of us doing the same thing if the tables were turned.

They're nothing but a couple of thugs. Not Austin quality thugs, but petty thugs.

I don't care if "intentional" is part of the precise wording. It doesn't matter what the wording is, there is no way an intelligent person can watch the review and decide it is an ejection. And there's nothing worse than a ref who hides like a coward behind the precise wording of a rulebook.

UtahDan
12-04-2013, 07:40 AM
Boise was definitely excited to beat us. But it wasn't that long ago when we used to all get pumped up to play or beat a "name" program or a "BCS school" even if they weren't very good that year. So I guess I understand it. It's how every Utah and Idaho school sees us now.

Rocker Ute
12-04-2013, 08:01 AM

Not to hijack this thread, but...

I never participated at CS but seeing what happened there has to be the best adult example of taking your ball and going home I've ever seen.

I'm glad you've provided a forum that allows thugs like kccougar and Lebowski to talk about Boise St basketball, which I assume is their second passion and they aren't simply here trolling after a Utah loss.

sancho
12-04-2013, 08:32 AM
Boise was definitely excited to beat us. But it wasn't that long ago when we used to all get pumped up to play or beat a "name" program or a "BCS school" even if they weren't very good that year. So I guess I understand it. It's how every Utah and Idaho school sees us now.

Some of it was the BCS thing, but some of it was just the fact that this was Boise's first real game of the season and that we were both unbeaten.

Jeff Lebowski
12-04-2013, 09:21 AM

Nicely done. Bravo.

U-Ute
12-04-2013, 09:35 AM
First, the bad:

Ogbe nearly won it for us on the offensive end, and did a lot to lose it for us on the defensive end. In typical freshman style, he got caught looking, flat-footed, on several of those rebounds that Boise State put back.
Wright lost his head a few times down the stretch. I think this will be a good experience that sticks with him in the future.
Free throw shooting. Swish.
Loveridge. Disappeared in the first half. We need him to play the whole game.

Now the good:

Loveridge. He disappeared in the first half, but asserted himself when the team needed him to.
Lenz. Solid performance. He's improved leaps and bounds over last year.
Wright. The guy can break down a defense and makes great decisions with the ball when he does.
Passing. This team moves well without the ball and has a knack for finding the open guy.

I like our chances against BYU next week. I don't know anything about Fresno State yet.

sancho
12-04-2013, 09:38 AM
I don't know anything about Fresno State yet.

Fresno should be an easy win. They have no quality wins with two bad losses. Three of their wins against poor competition came in overtime. If we don't win this one going away, something is very wrong.

SoCalPat
12-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Some observations, from the TV instead of inside of Taco Bell Arena. Everyone's fine, although the ride we took on I-84 scared the shit out of all of us for a few minutes ...

Delon Wright played 40 minutes last night. I have no idea if this is a good thing. It's not a bad thing, but outside of BYU, we might want to think about keeping him under 30 MPG for the rest of the non-con slate. We have no idea what his tank will be like in February at this rate.

If playing all 40 hurt Delon, it was on defense. That said, it looked like we communicated poorly on defense. It was a team "effort" there. It also doesn't help that Delon and Ken Ogbe basically wear the same number (55 vs. 25), so it was difficult to tell whose man was beating whom to the lane, on offensive rebounds, etc. We lost this game because we allowed Boise to shoot 58 percent in the second half, 65 percent on 2-point shots. Blasted unfortunate, seeing Utah shot 84 percent from 2 in the second half. That is not a typo.

Dakari Tucker's on alert. So is PVD. Ogbe can flat-out fill it from the perimeter. He was exposed defensively last night, but it hurt not having Onwas out there. But he'll be out instant offense off the bench if he continues to shoot 55 percent from 3. Tucker also has to show he can put the ball on the floor and create something (he's been to the line twice in 120 minutes), because he's not worth having out on the floor if he continues to shoot 26 percent from 3.

Jordan Loveridge had the kind of game I've been saying is best suited for him -- a perimeter-based game in which he also uses the dribble to get better-percentage shots closer to the basket. He is a classic 3 -- probably the best 3 we've had since Hanno Mattola, who could play both forward spots. JO will never be a glass-eating, back-to-the-basket 4, and we should all be thankful for that. For the game's final 15 minutes, he was easily the best player on the floor.

Larry has got to be better with his timeouts. With all the media timeouts available, it takes an extreme situation to use more than one timeout in the first half (everyone starts the game with 5, but one is a use-it-or-lose-it in the first half. You can never start the second half with more than four timeouts.). We used two, and that extreme situation never came close to materializing.

Our second timeout of the second half came with a media timeout to come on the next dead ball, with us trailing by 1 after Drmic hit a jumper. And then we use our final timeout with 41 seconds to go in a non-duress situation (Taylor was bringing the ball up and was nowhere close to turning it over or picking up his dribble in a bad spot, etc.). This type of stuff was a minor irritant two seasons ago when we sucked, but games are no longer teaching moments. Games are played to be won, and Larry's gotta be a better tactician, trust his players and have them ready for these kinds of late-game situations. I can think of at least two instances late where having that last timeout would have really helped us.

This loss sucked and it was a game we could have won. At the same time, I hope it gave us a new perspective on scheduling. Everyone wants what we saw last night, with one more make or one more stop thrown in. And no one would take what we had in our first six games over what we had last night. Yeah, not every game can be like last night, but a trip to Weber or USU would've been the perfect tuneup for last night, and we might have gotten a win as a result. Raise your hand if this is the most jacked up you've been over Utah hoops in November in the last five years. It definitely is for me.

concerned
12-04-2013, 09:57 AM
Great analysis. I am raising both hands. re scheduling, I heard that we have a game at Kansas next year, but cant remember where I heard it.

Utebiquitous
12-04-2013, 10:03 AM
My thought process going into last night was to be satisfied if we stayed close on the road to a good team. As I listened to the game, however, I expected a win - even after Onwas was ejected. By no means is this a bad loss but it becomes one if a couple of things don't improve over the next few games. We gave up nine offensive rebounds - a few of them late in the game. I think that I heard Jim Soto say that their offensive rebounds led to 15 points. We also defended poorly late in the game, allowing penetration all the way to the rim on a couple of occasions. SoCal faulted Ogbe in an earlier post and I echo that but I thought Delon failed to close out and guard effectively late as well. I also expect Lenz and Bachynski to protect the rim better. There wasn't the appropriate help on a couple of late drives. Kovacevic is going to get an opportunity to play significant minutes if he'll just become a defensive force. The other three bigs don't seem to be embracing that role. I like the progress Lenz has made - at least offensively, and Bachynski is playing better than a few coaches told me he would but the defense and rebounding has to improve.

A few ifs that could make this season better than projected:
-If we get a rim protector (see comments on Bachynski/Kovacevic)
-If Ogbe can learn to defend a little (love his shot)
-If Dakari Tucker can find some consistency playing well both offensively and defensively
-If Parker Van Dyke can contribute more than just jacking shots - He was 1-4 in seven minutes last night with no other statistic

I also hope that we'll continue to value the assist - the extra pass - like we've been doing most of this season. I thought we dropped off a little in this regard last night. Delon Wright's unselfishness has been contagious but last night I saw a few moments of selfishness that did us in - eg: Loveridege's last three. I love hearing coaches comment on passing up good shots for great ones like Larry did following the Ball State win.

I'll say this - it's sure a good time watching the Utes play basketball again. A couple of these ifs happen and the team really follows the lead of their new leader - Wright - and the U will jump to the middle of the Pac-12, perhaps higher.

LA Ute
12-04-2013, 10:06 AM
First, the bad:

Ogbe nearly won it for us on the offensive end, and did a lot to lose it for us on the defensive end. In typical freshman style, he got caught looking, flat-footed, on several of those rebounds that Boise State put back.
Wright lost his head a few times down the stretch. I think this will be a good experience that sticks with him in the future.
Free throw shooting. Swish.

These seem like fixable problems. The first two will show up on the tape and the coaches can do some teaching. The FT shooting is just a matter of practice for most guys.

We lost this game because we allowed Boise to shoot 58 percent in the second half, 65 percent on 2-point shots. Blasted unfortunate, seeing Utah shot 84 percent from 2 in the second half. That is not a typo.

That was hard to watch. BSU got far too many layups and offensive rebounds when no one on the Ute team was boxing out the BSU bigs. Again, something correctable.

Larry has got to be better with his timeouts. With all the media timeouts available, it takes an extreme situation to use more than one timeout in the first half (everyone starts the game with 5, but one is a use-it-or-lose-it in the first half. You can never start the second half with more than four timeouts.). We used two, and that extreme situation never came close to materializing.

Our second timeout of the second half came with a media timeout to come on the next dead ball, with us trailing by 1 after Drmic hit a jumper. And then we use our final timeout with 41 seconds to go in a non-duress situation (Taylor was bringing the ball up and was nowhere close to turning it over or picking up his dribble in a bad spot, etc.). This type of stuff was a minor irritant two seasons ago when we sucked, but games are no longer teaching moments. Games are played to be won, and Larry's gotta be a better tactician, trust his players and have them ready for these kinds of late-game situations. I can think of at least two instances late where having that last timeout would have really helped us.

Interesting insight. Also correctable, but it looks like this time Kodiak is the one who has to learn.

Raise your hand if this is the most jacked up you've been over Utah hoops in November in the last five years. It definitely is for me.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii269/theogrit/bth_1sm111iknow1.gif

SeattleUte
12-04-2013, 10:11 AM
You guys are all great. I have nothing to add really. I'm exhausted of moral victories, and hate to call any game against an MWC team least of all Boise that. But basketball necessarily involves some losses, as we saw with Majerus' often rocky pre-seasons. Last season we had a few games like this, e.g., at BYU, at the AZ schools, but then there were the wtf games like Stanford and USC and Cal Northridge. I'm glad we've not experienced that yet.

Wright showed us the last two games he can be a special player. Any chance he can become our money guy down the stretch?

U-Ute
12-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Wright showed us the last two games he can be a special player. Any chance he can become our money guy down the stretch?

I'm not sure. He has the athletic tools, but it isn't really his game. He's a slasher who is an excellent passer when he gets into the lane. He's not a pull up jump shooter that can threaten the blow by, plus he seems reluctant to shoot the 3.

But, that isn't to say he couldn't develop into one. He obviously has the athleticism and the basketball acumen. I guess it depends on what he has upstairs.

UBlender
12-04-2013, 10:37 AM
BSU got far too many layups and offensive rebounds when no one on the Ute team was boxing out the BSU bigs. Again, something correctable.
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii269/theogrit/bth_1sm111iknow1.gif

I think the boxing out problem was due to our guards being beaten off the dribble. I noticed several times where Lenz or Bachynski had to come off their guy to help on the penetration, the shooter would miss but Lenz/Bachynski's guy would be alone for the rebound. Majerus always had another guy rotate down to block that guy out in that situation. With K, I'm not sure if they are not using that tactic or just not executing it. But one way to put that to a stop is to simply have our guards/wings stay in front of their man.

sancho
12-04-2013, 11:13 AM
So, what do we think of the Brandon Taylor to SG experiment? Are we losing anything with him not having opportunities to drive? Do we need to find more shots for him? What's the verdict?

Rocker Ute
12-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Raise your hand if this is the most jacked up you've been over Utah hoops in November in the last five years. It definitely is for me.

I've got no problem with patsy scheduling at the start of the season to get tuned up a la Majerus years, but that is with a guy and a team who had a system and had been down the road with players etc. And we took it to a new level with patsies this year to the point that I think it has been detrimental. AND if we are going to schedule patsies like we have do some road games so the team can get accustomed to it. Poor FG% and FT% is a sign of either fatigue (no) or not being used to being in unfamiliar surroundings (yes).

So what I'm saying is I completely agree that playing some competition and even some on the road may have possibly won that game for us last night.

But my hand is raised. I said to my wife before the game that this was the first time I remember being genuinely excited about a basketball game in a very long time.

We have a long way to go still but not as long as I was expecting. My guess is we'll be a strong NIT team this year but there is a chemistry on the floor and the right kind of players that it is one of those things where I would be surprised to see this team somehow break into the tourney (probably through a conf. championship run, but still).

Oh, and AZ... legit final four team. They may just destroy us, but I'm so excited to see a team like that in the JMHC.

Stay on track this year and keep improving and I can see this team finishing ahead of these guys: Cal, USC, Wazzu, ASU and Oregon St. Washington will probably finish ahead of us. AZ, UCLA, CO and Oregon look legitimately superior to us and the rest of the conference.

Rocker Ute
12-04-2013, 11:47 AM
So, what do we think of the Brandon Taylor to SG experiment? Are we losing anything with him not having opportunities to drive? Do we need to find more shots for him? What's the verdict?

I know some are frustrated with him, but Utah is a better team with him on the floor in my humble opinion, and so I think that is why we see him like we do. That was certainly the case last year.

Splitting PG duties between him and Wright is probably the right formula, particularly because I think that Wright needs opportunity to create off the ball and if we pull Taylor from PG that will keep us from using Wright as that threat. I do not think anyone else is ready to assume PG duties beyond those two.

Utebiquitous
12-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Sancho and Rocker,
I'm for the Taylor experiment and I'd actually like to see Larry call his number a little more. I've been to a few practices now and there's no one better shooting the ball than Taylor in practice. He's looked very good coming off screens and shooting this year.

sancho
12-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Sancho and Rocker,
I'm for the Taylor experiment and I'd actually like to see Larry call his number a little more. I've been to a few practices now and there's no one better shooting the ball than Taylor in practice. He's looked very good coming off screens and shooting this year.

I'm with you. His shot (when open and not when forced) looks great. He can step in and shoot from mid range or drain the three. I think he can also take the ball to the hoop off a pump fake and is pretty good at finishing. I want him to play a big role in the offense.

UTEopia
12-04-2013, 12:01 PM
I was both encouraged and disappointed in the game last night. In the end, I thought it was a match of two pretty even teams. I thought Boise was able to use their speed advantage and get to the rim and the Utes were unable to use their size advantage to get much done inside. Those were the disappointing things to me. Boise won because they were able to get the line 5 times more than the Utes and hit a better %. The penetration also resulted in some 2nd chance points off of offensive rebounds.

FWIW, although the Onwas ejection was tough to take, I think that given the change in the wording of the rule it was probably the right call. I certainly don't think it was a blatantly wrong call. I think you need to even it up though. If a guy can get ejected for that foul I think the guy who flops on the other side of the same thing should be subject to ejection as well.

It will be interesting to see how the team responds this Saturday against Fresno. Fresno is not as good as Boise, but they are a decent opponent.

GarthUte
12-04-2013, 12:11 PM
I'm most encouraged that the team has become more competitive under Coach Krystkowiak. By competitive, I mean that the team doesn't quit. The team plays the entire 40 minutes, which is something that has been lacking since Majerus was coach.

Scratch
12-04-2013, 12:36 PM
I also expect Lenz and Bachynski to protect the rim better. There wasn't the appropriate help on a couple of late drives.

Interesting. My thought watching the game was that Bachynski was too aggressive trying to protect the rim. It seemed like any time anyone would get within about 10 feet that Bachynski would run out on them, which would result in his man being wide open underneath for an easy back-door pass. That said, Biq knows roughly 1,000,000 times more about basketball than I do, so I'll defer to him every time.

SeattleUte
12-04-2013, 12:39 PM
I've got no problem with patsy scheduling at the start of the season to get tuned up a la Majerus years, but that is with a guy and a team who had a system and had been down the road with players etc. And we took it to a new level with patsies this year to the point that I think it has been detrimental. AND if we are going to schedule patsies like we have do some road games so the team can get accustomed to it. Poor FG% and FT% is a sign of either fatigue (no) or not being used to being in unfamiliar surroundings (yes).

So what I'm saying is I completely agree that playing some competition and even some on the road may have possibly won that game for us last night.

But my hand is raised. I said to my wife before the game that this was the first time I remember being genuinely excited about a basketball game in a very long time.

We have a long way to go still but not as long as I was expecting. My guess is we'll be a strong NIT team this year but there is a chemistry on the floor and the right kind of players that it is one of those things where I would be surprised to see this team somehow break into the tourney (probably through a conf. championship run, but still).

Oh, and AZ... legit final four team. They may just destroy us, but I'm so excited to see a team like that in the JMHC.

Stay on track this year and keep improving and I can see this team finishing ahead of these guys: Cal, USC, Wazzu, ASU and Oregon St. Washington will probably finish ahead of us. AZ, UCLA, CO and Oregon look legitimately superior to us and the rest of the conference.

Washingotn is bad.

U-Ute
12-04-2013, 01:14 PM
I think the boxing out problem was due to our guards being beaten off the dribble. I noticed several times where Lenz or Bachynski had to come off their guy to help on the penetration, the shooter would miss but Lenz/Bachynski's guy would be alone for the rebound. Majerus always had another guy rotate down to block that guy out in that situation. With K, I'm not sure if they are not using that tactic or just not executing it. But one way to put that to a stop is to simply have our guards/wings stay in front of their man.

The problem was that people weren't "helping the helper". If the bigs come of to challenge a shot, someone needs to drop down and box out their guy.

Jeff Lebowski
12-05-2013, 01:40 PM
Sheesh. Is that what a combined BYU-UT education gets you? "They lost to a team that played better than they did" means "they beat themselves?" Besides, don't you guys have a victory to go celebrate?

Swish!

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthread.php?70356-Krystko-and-the-Utes-are-ready-to-rock-being-better-than-horrible-(-13-14-edition)&p=1051792&viewfull=1#post1051792

SeattleUte
12-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Swish!

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthread.php?70356-Krystko-and-the-Utes-are-ready-to-rock-being-better-than-horrible-(-13-14-edition)&p=1051792&viewfull=1#post1051792

In contrast to BYU vs. Iowa State, I think Utah did beat itself. We outshot them, they had more turnovers, rebounds were about even. Had we shot 11-15 from the line instead of 8-15, we'd have won. We beat ourselves.

Jeff Lebowski
12-05-2013, 02:02 PM
In contrast to BYU vs. Iowa State, I think Utah did beat itself. We outshot them, they had more turnovers, rebounds were about even. Had we shot 11-15 from the line instead of 8-15, we'd have won. We beat ourselves.

I appreciate your honesty, SU. Now go and get LAU to partake.

LA Ute
12-05-2013, 02:36 PM

Knock it off, SU. Brady Poppinga has a patent on that phrase. You're going to get us in trouble.

Two Utes
12-06-2013, 11:32 AM

Hate to rain on anybody's parade, but about 60% of the division one schools in this country would likely have the same record as Utah given the schedule and about 90% of the top ten conference teams would have the same record.

Utah hasn't done anything and their lack of competition shows in a game like last night. Utah is getting better, but when I iwll be impressed when they actually beat one decent team.

If the coaches get credit for a good record, they need to eat the consequences of that dog of a schedule.