PDA

View Full Version : Nelson Mandela has died.

LA Ute
12-05-2013, 02:59 PM
He was 95. A great man.

cald22well
12-05-2013, 04:23 PM
No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.

Easily my most favorite Nelson Mandella quote. He is definitely one of the men that I will teach my children about.

OrangeUte
12-09-2013, 04:50 PM
scottie and I were companions for a little less than a year in the Johannesburg mission in the 1992-1994 time frame. I never met Mandela, but his influence was everywhere and impacted everyone in that country, including Mormon missionaries. this was during the time that Mandela was running for election in 1994. I left right before the election to come home, and things were very tense. his truth and reconciliation commission really changed the expectations.

mandela was flawed and human. but he was incredibly wise and caring. this world is a much much much better place with him having survived and lived in it.

LA Ute
12-09-2013, 05:10 PM
“As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn’t leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I’d still be in prison.”

--N.M.

Applejack
12-09-2013, 05:37 PM
scottie and I were companions for a little less than a year in the Johannesburg mission in the 1992-1994 time frame. I never met Mandela, but his influence was everywhere and impacted everyone in that country, including Mormon missionaries. this was during the time that Mandela was running for election in 1994. I left right before the election to come home, and things were very tense. his truth and reconciliation commission really changed the expectations.

mandela was flawed and human. but he was incredibly wise and caring. this world is a much much much better place with him having survived and lived in it.

You had the same companion for almost a year? How many missionaries were in your mission? 4?

OrangeUte
12-09-2013, 05:45 PM
I typed that while I was on a phone call.

A little less than a month is what I meant to write.

scottie
12-09-2013, 07:06 PM
I typed that while I was on a phone call.

A little less than a month is what I meant to write.

Of all my comps, you were probably the only one I could have made it a year with.

OrangeUte
12-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Of all my comps, you were probably the only one I could have made it a year with.

Ditto my man. We had a good time.

Applejack
12-09-2013, 07:25 PM

Ditto my man. We had a good time.

Get a room, you two.

OrangeUte
12-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Get a room, you two.

Don't be jealous. You will find happiness one day too.

Applejack
12-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Don't be jealous. You will find happiness one day too.

Seriously, it's fine to be really secure in your bromances, but keep it to PM. Many of us read this board IN OUR HOMES! There are children around.

OrangeUte
12-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Haha!

Back to Mandela... I often wonder what kinds of conversations he and Winnie had after he was released from prison. She clearly hadn't left the anger in the past as constructively as he did. Hers was still a driving force. He used it as motivation to work to make sure nobody every had to experience what he and his people had again.

To me that is one of the most interesting relationships about Mandela and may be a measuring stick of the goodness in him.

cald22well
12-10-2013, 09:55 AM

My brother is in RSA on his mission right now. I am eager to hear his experience when the news hit about Mandela's passing.

OrangeUte
12-10-2013, 10:04 AM
My brother is in RSA on his mission right now. I am eager to hear his experience when the news hit about Mandela's passing.

Please share that. I would love to hear his perspective and experience.