PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs in the House: The Utes vs. Fresno State

LA Ute
12-06-2013, 11:41 PM
No one seems to have started a thread for this game. Here we go. I saw somewhere that we are 9-point favorites.

Mormon Red Death
12-07-2013, 08:37 AM
What time is the game?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

LA Ute
12-07-2013, 09:24 AM
What time is the game?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

3:00 pm Mountain.

U-Ute
12-07-2013, 09:39 AM
3:00 pm Mountain.

For kids who went to K's basketball camp this summer, it is a reunion game. I'll be there with my boys.

LA Ute
12-07-2013, 10:00 AM
For kids who went to K's basketball camp this summer, it is a reunion game. I'll be there with my boys.

I'm envious. Have fun!

OrangeUte
12-07-2013, 10:24 AM
I'm watching this game on tape delay. We are cutting down our Xmas tree this afternoon. Lots of snow up in Redding California last night so it may be slow going up into the mountains.

LA Ute
12-07-2013, 03:09 PM
I can't listen to this game on the radio because RSL is on KALL. The FM station (99.1) doesn't work in Tunein Radio. Score updates would be appreciated!

chrisrenrut
12-07-2013, 03:36 PM
33-30 for Fresno with 5:12 left in the first half.

LA Ute
12-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Wow. Unexpected.

chrisrenrut
12-07-2013, 03:47 PM
40-39 for Utah at half. Utah with an 8-0 run To finish the half.

Wright playing well, Loveridge has been quiet. Tucker and Taylor also playing well.

LA Ute
12-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Interesting that Love is starting slow again.

Diehard Ute
12-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Interesting that Love is starting slow again.

It hasn't been a bad slow start. He's made some good moves, but they're allowing a lot of contact around the rim and he's had several plays where he's gotten no call

chrisrenrut
12-07-2013, 04:10 PM
46-39 Utes with 17:30 left. Loveridge starting to assert himself on offense, and more energy by the team on defense.

chrisrenrut
12-07-2013, 04:27 PM
59-54 For the Utes with 11:45 left in the game.

chrisrenrut
12-07-2013, 04:34 PM
75-59 Utes with 7:03 left. Nice run, causing Fresno to call a time out. Wright penetrating at will.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Pulling away, little by little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

chrisrenrut
12-07-2013, 04:50 PM
82-71 for the Utes. Fresno sstatting to foul with 4:00 left. They obviously know of our free throw troubles.

chrisrenrut
12-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Also, Fresno's top scorer has fouled out.

Diehard Ute
12-07-2013, 05:21 PM
Delon Wright 23 points 12 assists and 6 rebounds.

Team has 21 assists to 6 turnovers

NorthwestUteFan
12-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Delon Wright 23 points 12 assists and 6 rebounds.

Team has 21 assists to 6 turnovers

I <3 Delon Wright in ways that I have not loved a Utah player since Andre Miller...

Ma'ake
12-07-2013, 06:46 PM
I <3 Delon Wright in ways that I have not loved a Utah player since Andre Miller...

He's so smooth, and versatile.

Defensively we put him on their best player, #23, he guarded #3, the smaller guard who scores well, he's not strong enough to really defend the post, but between Wright and our other wings we can easily switch on defense and not really have problems, except if Taylor gets on a bigger guy.

Offensively Delon sees the play before it happens. Scoring 23 today is a little out of his MO, because he naturally looks to distribute the ball. The Bigs should give him some nice Christmas presents, because he routinely gives them the ball in places to easily score, like Lenz' little jump hook off a Wright dish in the first half. I counted 6 assists before the game was 12 minutes in.

If you try to stop him, he gets the ball to those who can score. If you lay off him, he'll take it to the hole or he'll nail a 3. At this point he lets the game come to him, and takes whatever is available, but if he gets stronger and develops his own crunch-time repetoire of shots, he'll be a real monster.

He's our best player since Bogut, which really isn't going back that far, granted, but if he gets stronger over the off season, he's unquestionably a next level player.

At this point I would say Clyburn was a slightly better outside shooter, but Wright has all the other parts of the game down much better than Clyburn did. It's not even close.

OrangeUte
12-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Delon Wright is awesome. Just finished watching the game. We are a much better basketball team than last gear. This was a good win to get. We have a very good chance to beat byu next weekend.

Ex'dute
12-07-2013, 10:07 PM
I went to the game and enjoyed it a great deal. Wright is fun to watch and Loveridge is tough as well. I know Cougar fans are underestimating our chances next Saturday, but I doubt Dave Rose and his players will. The fact that both Boise and Fresno played mostly zone will help us since the Zoobs will zone the whole time as well.

A quick question for anyone who knows: Did Onwas get hurt or did Coach K just decide not to put him back in the game after he came out in the opening minutes?

Also, I was wondering why Bachynski didn't play at all? Was it just a bad matchup or is he hurting again? I though he played pretty well against both Ball State and Boise State.

sancho
12-07-2013, 10:12 PM
A quick question for anyone who knows: Did Onwas get hurt or did Coach K just decide not to put him back in the game after he came out in the opening minutes?

Also, I was wondering why Bachynski didn't play at all? Was it just a bad matchup or is he hurting again? I though he played pretty well against both Ball State and Boise State.

Not sure on Bachynski, but maybe it was just Lenz and Olson playing well. I think Lenz was a better match up for their athletic center.

Onwas just wasn't as useful against the zone as players who can shoot.

Jarid in Cedar
12-07-2013, 10:38 PM
Not sure on Bachynski, but maybe it was just Lenz and Olson playing well. I think Lenz was a better match up for their athletic center.

Onwas just wasn't as useful against the zone as players who can shoot.

My guess is that Batshintski was a poor defensive matchup against their 4 1/2 guard lineup.

LA Ute
12-07-2013, 10:42 PM
Anyone else notice/think that Wright doesn't showboat or celebrate, just lets his play do the talking? I like that.

Diehard Ute
12-08-2013, 12:29 AM
Krysko said on his post game that Onwas is not as up to speed with our Zone package as it is more complicated.

He said he didn't want him go lose confidence because of that, so he opted to play Dakari once it was obvious they were going to zone us.

And I think Bachynski was just a poor matchup and thus didn't play....and Olsen had his best game as a Ute IMO

Through 8 games the Utes have 151 assists to 76 turnovers, a team 2.0 average. Their opponents 69 assists to 106 turnovers, a team .7 average.

Wrights assist to turnover ratio is 3.6

SoCalPat
12-08-2013, 03:24 AM
Krysko said on his post game that Onwas is not as up to speed with our Zone package as it is more complicated.

He said he didn't want him go lose confidence because of that, so he opted to play Dakari once it was obvious they were going to zone us.

And I think Bachynski was just a poor matchup and thus didn't play....and Olsen had his best game as a Ute IMO

Through 8 games the Utes have 151 assists to 76 turnovers, a team 2.0 average. Their opponents 69 assists to 106 turnovers, a team .7 average.

Wrights assist to turnover ratio is 3.6

That kind of A/T ratio will get him on some postseason A-A honors at seasons end. It's about unsustainable. So is his percentage for the field. If he's better than 2-1 at seasons end and is shooting in excess of 55 percent form the field, I don't see how he doesn't get third team A-A honors. Maybe even better.

Diehard Ute
12-08-2013, 08:04 AM
Tony Jones reported Onwas had a minor hamstring tweak, that coupled with the zone is what kept him on the bench

Diehard Ute
12-08-2013, 08:07 AM
One other stat, Utah has made 254 field goals, they have an assist on 59% of those makes

UtahsMrSports
12-08-2013, 09:21 AM
A few thoughts......

First. I echo everything about delon. Wow what a player. Once he and loveridge really adjust to each other: watch out!

Second, i like our depth. Against boise, ogbe and dallin b answered off the bench. Yesterday it was jo and tucker.

Finally, isnt it funny how when we lose, kcougar and jeff lebozoski are first in line to offer their 'observations' but when we win.....crickets.

Scratch
12-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Using Olsen and Tucker in place of Bach and Onwas the way we did really illustrates how much flexibility this team has. Once Kovacevic's up to speed we'll be that much more flexible, being able to go big and/or long, and to do so with different types of bigs and wings.

Scratch
12-08-2013, 10:23 AM
That kind of A/T ratio will get him on some postseason A-A honors at seasons end. It's about unsustainable. So is his percentage for the field. If he's better than 2-1 at seasons end and is shooting in excess of 55 percent form the field, I don't see how he doesn't get third team A-A honors. Maybe even better.

Chaz Wiliams had a 15-1 A/T ratio yesterday, pretty absurd. He'd be the greatest point guard in college basketball history if he could go up against BYU's backcourt every game. Will be interesting to see how Wright and Taylor can abuse that backcourt.

U-Ute
12-09-2013, 12:34 PM
A few thoughts......

First. I echo everything about delon. Wow what a player. Once he and loveridge really adjust to each other: watch out!

Second, i like our depth. Against boise, ogbe and dallin b answered off the bench. Yesterday it was jo and tucker.

Did Onwas get injured? He started, but only ended up playing 6 minutes.

It is interesting to see how Ogbe has been getting more and more minutes, while Fields has pretty much disappeared. Ogbe is instant offense, and an instant defensive liability. But the kid can flat out shoot the rock.

The thing that has impressed me about this team so far is how well they move the ball, and how well they move without the ball. You see guys cutting with a purpose, and they are cutting because they know where the ball is going to be two passes before it gets there.

Diehard Ute
12-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Did Onwas get injured? He started, but only ended up playing 6 minutes.

It is interesting to see how Ogbe has been getting more and more minutes, while Fields has pretty much disappeared. Ogbe is instant offense, and an instant defensive liability. But the kid can flat out shoot the rock.

The thing that has impressed me about this team so far is how well they move the ball, and how well they move without the ball. You see guys cutting with a purpose, and they are cutting because they know where the ball is going to be two passes before it gets there.

Onwas had a slightly sore hamstring. But the bigger issue involved the zone. He's still learning our zone package and Krysko said he didn't want him to get frustrated or play poorly because of that.

Couple the two together and he got the rest of the night off

Senioritis
12-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Onwas had a slightly sore hamstring. But the bigger issue involved the zone. He's still learning our zone package and Krysko said he didn't want him to get frustrated or play poorly because of that.

Couple the two together and he got the rest of the night off

That ball movement against the zone was a thing of freaking beauty. High post, short corner, the big man on the baseline - every gap in the zone was filled, and the passing made the zone shift constantly. Couple that with Wright's ability to get to the lane virtually anytime he wants, and Taylor, Tucker, Loveridge, and even PVD staying in space at the three, and Utah's zone offense looks to be not embarrassing for the first time since Luke Nevill left us for large Australian women.

Delon Wright changes everything about what Utah is. He's bound to hit some turbulence, just hope he can keep it going.

LA Ute
12-09-2013, 03:29 PM
I've been wondering about Wright: How did he fly under the radar of other PAC-12 programs? He was playing JuCo ball in San Francisco so he wasn't exactly hidden away in Ephraim, Utah. Did the Utah coaches simply spot talent others missed?

UtahsMrSports
12-09-2013, 04:04 PM
I've been wondering about Wright: How did he fly under the radar of other PAC-12 programs? He was playing JuCo ball in San Francisco so he wasn't exactly hidden away in Ephraim, Utah. Did the Utah coaches simply spot talent others missed?

A few things on this:

Jared Dubois was good friends with Delon and helped create a relationship.
Delon was a late bloomer. Utah's coaching staff jumped on him after his freshman season. He committed before his soph year. Had he waited and tested the waters after his stellar soph year, Id be willing to bet that 2/3 of the Pac-12 would have been knocking at his door.

hostile
12-09-2013, 04:26 PM
That ball movement against the zone was a thing of freaking beauty. High post, short corner, the big man on the baseline - every gap in the zone was filled, and the passing made the zone shift constantly. Couple that with Wright's ability to get to the lane virtually anytime he wants, and Taylor, Tucker, Loveridge, and even PVD staying in space at the three, and Utah's zone offense looks to be not embarrassing for the first time since Luke Nevill left us for large Australian women.

Delon Wright changes everything about what Utah is. He's bound to hit some turbulence, just hope he can keep it going.

We will need that ball movement on Saturday. That and Wright can hopefully breakdown the zone off the dribble.

Applejack
12-09-2013, 05:34 PM

I just wish we had a designated "screener"/zone buster like Majerus always employed, usually with the last name of Rydalch or Caton. Parker Von Trapp doesn't scare people on the high pick.