PDA

View Full Version : Mascot Preferences

jrj84105
12-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Just curious to see what people really think about our current and potential future mascot/name
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HBR8RGZ

LA Ute
12-08-2013, 03:09 PM
What are your results so? If there was some way to check after voting, I blew it.

As long as the University takes reasonable steps to honor the name and to prevent gross abuses, the tribe will let us keep it. They get financial benefits from it (I think), and because of the U. a lot more people know what a Ute is than would otherwise.

Hadrian
12-08-2013, 06:35 PM
If we do end up losing the name, I like the idea of being the Utah Raptors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_raptor). You should add that to your poll.

UteBeliever aka Port
12-08-2013, 07:05 PM
If we do end up losing the name, I like the idea of being the Utah Raptors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_raptor). You should add that to your poll.
I dislike Raptors immensely. There are already two teams with the name Raptors: Ogden's minor league baseball team and Toronto's NBA team. Neither are a team that I want to be confused with.

NinerUte
12-11-2013, 10:20 AM
I love the idea of the Moose, and Raptors

LA Ute
12-11-2013, 10:28 AM
I love the idea of the Moose, and Raptors

I've always liked the Moose idea. Don't think it'll ever happen, though.

Sullyute
12-11-2013, 12:41 PM
I love the Utes, but if I had to choose another mascot it would be the Red Rocks. Something that is pretty unique to Utah and something we are famous for. Also the gymnastics are already called that.

I also like the idea of the Utah Cutthroats, as it is a double entendre with the local trout population, and an insiders wink to the Mormon temple rites and blood atonement, but I assume it would be shot down because of that same connection.

Negatory on the Raptors

Applejack
12-11-2013, 01:37 PM
I love the Utes, but if I had to choose another mascot it would be the Red Rocks. Something that is pretty unique to Utah and something we are famous for. Also the gymnastics are already called that.

I also like the idea of the Utah Cutthroats, as it is a double entendre with the local trout population, and an insiders wink to the Mormon temple rites and blood atonement, but I assume it would be shot down because of that same connection.

Negatory on the Raptors

Did you come up with that? It is amazingly brilliant. I L-O-V-E it! It's (a) unique, (b) localized, and (c) badass. It's like the opposite of Raptors.

Sullyute
12-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Did you come up with that? It is amazingly brilliant. I L-O-V-E it! It's (a) unique, (b) localized, and (c) badass. It's like the opposite of Raptors.

Nope, it was one of the options in the survey linked in the first post. But that survey was the first time I had heard of it.

U-Ute
12-11-2013, 03:00 PM
I love Hoodoos, but I can only imagine all of the phallic props people would use.

Sullyute
12-11-2013, 03:11 PM
I love Hoodoos, but I can only imagine all of the phallic props people would use.

No offense to the LGBT and Disney loving Utah fans, but I don't want to known as something that can also be refered to as a fairy chimney.

A hoodoo (also called a tent rock, fairy chimney, and earth pyramid) is a tall, thin spire of rock (http://www.utahby5.com/wiki/Rock_(geology)) that protrudes from the bottom of an arid (http://www.utahby5.com/wiki/Arid) drainage basin (http://www.utahby5.com/wiki/Drainage_basin) or badland (http://www.utahby5.com/wiki/Badland).

In the words of Applejack, it is not "badass".

sancho
12-11-2013, 03:15 PM
In the words of Applejack, it is not "badass".

Red Rocks, Cutthroat, and Moose are the only three alternatives I've ever heard that are not horrible.

roseparkutes
12-11-2013, 09:21 PM
I don't want any name change. utes and only utes.

LA Ute
02-25-2014, 03:30 PM
This is interesting:

(http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/02/20/university-utah-utes-working-toward-understanding-153661?page=0%2C0) The University of Utah Utes: Working Toward Understanding (http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/02/20/university-utah-utes-working-toward-understanding-153661?page=0%2C0)

It's in a Native American publication and has a point of view, but I learned some things about what offends some members of the Ute tribe. I love the Ute name for out teams and hope this can be worked out. I do wonder if the activists in the tribe (and I have no idea how representative they are) ever think about the adage, "Be careful what you ask for because you might get it?" If the U. drops the Ute name altogether it won't be long before almost no one knows what a Ute is. We have enough trouble with awareness of that as it is.

concerned
02-25-2014, 03:42 PM
This is interesting:

(http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/02/20/university-utah-utes-working-toward-understanding-153661?page=0%2C0) The University of Utah Utes: Working Toward Understanding (http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/02/20/university-utah-utes-working-toward-understanding-153661?page=0%2C0)

It's in a Native American publication and has a point of view, but I learned some things about what offends some members of the Ute tribe. I love the Ute name for out teams and hope this can be worked out. I do wonder if the activists in the tribe (and I have no idea how representative they are) ever think about the adage, "Be careful what you ask for because you might get it?" If the U. drops the Ute name altogether it won't be long before almost no one knows what a Ute is. We have enough trouble with awareness of that as it is.

When i read that article earlier, I took it to mean they really want the scholarships and financial benefits from licensing the name, and are negotiating. If we give it up, we just ought to be the Utah Crimson. Animal mascots are hokey.

LA Ute
02-25-2014, 03:54 PM
When i read that article earlier, I took it to mean they really want the scholarships and financial benefits from licensing the name, and are negotiating. If we give it up, we just ought to be the Utah Crimson. Animal mascots are hokey.

It looks like the tribal elders want to keep the deal and the financial benefits while working out the respect issues, and a group of activists doesn't want the name used at all. I predict that money will win.

concerned
02-25-2014, 03:59 PM
It looks like the tribal elders want to keep the deal and the financial benefits while working out the respect issues, and a group of activists doesn't want the name used at all. I predict that money will win.

Its your classic good cop bad cop negotiating tandem.

Sullyute
02-25-2014, 03:59 PM
This is interesting:

What is up with that website, the article had like two paragraphs on each page and you had to go through 6 pages to read about a page worth of material. It is unfortunate, but the Ute tribe has a lot more to lose than the University of Utah if the name changes. Elder Cuche stated as much.

Eldridge said the fan behavior at games is so disgraceful it is impossible for Natives to attend sporting events. “They used to put the drum and feather on underwear. T-shirts have Ute-aholics written on them. Students paint their face red and wear headdresses. The whooping, the hollering and tomahawk, at every game you will find someone like this.”

The pictures that that they show are of people trying to show their excitement and support for the Ute name and team. I don't think that any of those people were doing it maliciously. Maybe they simply need to ban headdresses from the stadium, that seems like a easy fix. Maybe season ticket holders and students have to read through a sensitivity pamphlet before purchasing tickets.

I do think that there is definitely some give and take that both sides can offer. However, there is going to be a time that if pushed the U will simply have enough and just change to another name to put an end to the issue. That will be a sad day for all involved.
:utes:

Utah
02-25-2014, 04:18 PM
I want the name changed. I'm tired of this every offseason. It's old. It is going to change, there are too many people that will keep clamoring until it is changed.

I want Red Rocks or Cutthroat. Both would be just as good as the Utes, both represent Utah (in a lot of ways better than Utes, seeing how the tribe is mainly based out of state).

Sullyute
02-25-2014, 04:24 PM
I want the name changed. I'm tired of this every offseason. It's old. It is going to change, there are too many people that will keep clamoring until it is changed.

It is not just white people, but legitimate members of the Ute tribe that are offended (as the article pointed out).

I want Red Rocks or Cutthroat. Both would be just as good as the Utes, both represent Utah (in a lot of ways better than Utes, seeing how the tribe is mainly based out of state).

I agree that both of those name would be good alternatives to Utes.

MountVanCott
02-25-2014, 09:27 PM
I can't believe some of you are a actually saying you want our beloved school's mascot to be a fish. Not a shark or something tough that lives in the water, a couple pound little fish. I may be in the minority but the idea of a fish being on the jersey/helmet makes me throw up a little in my mouth. As for the moose or red rocks, I could get on board with either one. Please just no fish

LA Ute
02-25-2014, 09:30 PM
Moose is my favorite. I can't decide if I am really serious in saying that, however.

Diehard Ute
02-25-2014, 09:56 PM
We should get Disney to license us "Sith"

Rocker Ute
02-25-2014, 10:48 PM
Before I get into this, I want to note that I believe the Eldridge quoted in this article is the same that was attempting to cause a fuss a couple of months ago. She also is the one quoted as saying Pershing changed his mind, while those actually involved in this haven't indicated that is true. Just some nitpicks.

That being said, I think we should stick to the Utes but take away the things that are upsetting people in and out of the tribe, because frankly a lot of it bothers me too. Here is what I think should happen:

1. Have the security screen people for offensive dress and also make lots of announcements that imitating sacred native American dress will not be allowed in the stadium.
2. Before or during the games (ideally in between the 1st and 2nd quarter) have a short little video or something that educates people about Ute history and also the present.
3. One game a year allow the Ute or other Indian tribes have the half-time show to educate people on the culture, etc.
4. Increase scholarships for Ute tribe members and also get Utah students involved in a variety of ways with the tribe.

If there were true pride and connection between the two groups and native Americans there will be no further objections. I don't see any of these things being a major hurdle at all, and regardless of all of this, item #1 just needs to happen.

LA Ute
02-25-2014, 11:01 PM
Before I get into this, I want to note that I believe the Eldridge quoted in this article is the same that was attempting to cause a fuss a couple of months ago. She also is the one quoted as saying Pershing changed his mind, while those actually involved in this haven't indicated that is true. Just some nitpicks.

That being said, I think we should stick to the Utes but take away the things that are upsetting people in and out of the tribe, because frankly a lot of it bothers me too. Here is what I think should happen:

1. Have the security screen people for offensive dress and also make lots of announcements that imitating sacred native American dress will not be allowed in the stadium.
2. Before or during the games (ideally in between the 1st and 2nd quarter) have a short little video or something that educates people about Ute history and also the present.
3. One game a year allow the Ute or other Indian tribes have the half-time show to educate people on the culture, etc.
4. Increase scholarships for Ute tribe members and also get Utah students involved in a variety of ways with the tribe.

If there were true pride and connection between the two groups and native Americans there will be no further objections. I don't see any of these things being a major hurdle at all, and regardless of all of this, item #1 just needs to happen.

This makes a lot of sense to me.

Diehard Ute
02-25-2014, 11:17 PM
1 would be fine...if we had competent security.

jrj84105
02-26-2014, 02:26 AM
I never got around to making a pretty spread, but here are some of the data

jrj84105
02-26-2014, 02:28 AM

jrj84105
02-26-2014, 02:29 AM

jrj84105
02-26-2014, 02:30 AM

jrj84105
02-26-2014, 02:34 AM
Block U: 2.33
Cutthroats: 2.21
No nickname: 2.10
Red Rocs: 2.09
Hoodoos: 1.89
Red-tailed Hawks: 1.79

jrj84105
02-26-2014, 02:42 AM
This is my favorite logo by a long shot:
The team is still the Utes, but no native american imagery is retained. The primary mascot is a moose for the primary sport football. the same people who now wear headdresses can wear antlers. Secondary mascots are the red-tailed hawks (women's teams and maybe even basketball or baseball might select) and Cutthroats (swimming/diving).

Applejack
02-26-2014, 06:43 AM
I don't like Moose. We're not Alaska, or Maine even. We have Moose, but Moose don't exactly scream "I'm in Utah!"

Cutthroat has it all (1) unique (2) native (3) vicious and tame at the same time and (4) it doesn't end in "zz."

sancho
02-26-2014, 06:57 AM
I don't like Moose. We're not Alaska, or Maine even. We have Moose, but Moose don't exactly scream "I'm in Utah!"

Cutthroat has it all (1) unique (2) native (3) vicious and tame at the same time and (4) it doesn't end in "zz."

Sure. Red Rocks also has those four things, and it screams "I'm in Utah" more than anything that is not related to skiing or Mormonism.

Those are my favorites of the options I've heard for the reasons suggested by AJ. Red tailed hawks is the only option I've heard that would actually lesson my passion for Utah athletics.

Applejack
02-26-2014, 07:10 AM
Sure. Red Rocks also has those four things, and it screams "I'm in Utah" more than anything that is not related to skiing or Mormonism.

Every time I hear the words "Red Rocks" I think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPq2opnBzKs&list=PL19B3DCEC5AC0DC6F&featur e=share&index=14

sancho
02-26-2014, 07:12 AM
Every time I hear the words "Red Rocks" I think of this

So, you like it too?

Applejack
02-26-2014, 07:21 AM
Absolutely! Tesh!

sancho
02-26-2014, 07:59 AM
Absolutely! Tesh!

You know, lots of other bands that you may like more have also played Red Rocks.

sancho
02-26-2014, 09:12 AM
Every time I hear the words "Red Rocks" I think of this:

When you hear "cutthroat" do you think of this:

Applejack
02-26-2014, 10:23 AM
You know, lots of other bands that you may like more have also played Red Rocks.

Someone better that J Tesh? This thread has officially jumped the cutthroat.

Scorcho
02-26-2014, 10:31 AM
Other than the Washington Redskins (an maybe the University of North Dakota), it appears to me that the University of Utah has more controversy with their Indian Nickname than several other organizations. I don’t quite understand why isn’t there the same outrage/issues for the Fightin’ Illini, Seminoles, Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians or Atlanta Braves (granted you are dealing with a different political climate in the deep south)?

Remember when the University of Wisconsin had a policy (for a brief time) that they wouldn’t schedule Utah or any other school with an Indian Nickname (and yet they shared a conference with the Fightin’ Illini?

I’d like for Utah to keep the Utes name, but this constant hand wringing is growing tiresome.

Applejack
02-26-2014, 10:44 AM
Other than the Washington Redskins (an maybe the University of North Dakota), it appears to me that the University of Utah has more controversy with their Indian Nickname than several other organizations. I don’t quite understand why isn’t there the same outrage/issues for the Fightin’ Illini, Seminoles, Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians or Atlanta Braves (granted you are dealing with a different political climate in the deep south)?

Remember when the University of Wisconsin had a policy (for a brief time) that they wouldn’t schedule Utah or any other school with an Indian Nickname (and yet they shared a conference with the Fightin’ Illini?

I’d like for Utah to keep the Utes name, but this constant hand wringing is growing tiresome.

I think the Indians have it worse than us, as well they should with Cheif Wahoo and all.

Utah
02-26-2014, 11:28 AM

I'm tired of it as well. I say go with Red Rocks or Cutthroat and be done with it. Besides, aren't those more "Utah" than the Utes? Aren't most of the Ute tribe outside of Utah anyways?

DanielLaRusso
02-26-2014, 12:40 PM

The Illini HAVE had major controversy. They were forced to drop their primary logo and mascot...despite the fact that there is no such thing as an Illini tribe. It's just what the French called every brown person they met along the Mississippi. Because of this, there is a push to align the school with imagery related to Illinois WWI and II soldiers, also known as Illini.

The Cleveland Indians will play this next season without Chief Wahoo on their hats for the first time in...I think half a century? This is because they have had to push aside the controversy year after year and have finally relented to the criticism of their blatantly racist logo.

FSU survives these discussions based on how well organized the Seminole tribes are. FSU doesn't have to run around getting permission and putting out fires like Utah or Central Michigan have had to. The sheer size and notoriety of the FSU brand helps as well (there's long been suspicion of illegal money changing hands). Remember, though, that FSU's nickname was deemed "hostile" by the NCAA in 2005.

So Utah really isn't unlucky in all of this. These names are going to continue being controversial for a long time. It's best to cut our losses and start building a new brand that doesn't require us to tie one hand behind our back.

Crimsonute
02-26-2014, 01:09 PM
I say drop the nickname. Wait until someone gives Utah a nickname. A sportscaster, opponent, someone who drops a nickname for Utah in an interview or call. That would be the best way to get one. Like the "Crimson Tide" (http://www.rolltide.com/trads/why-crimson.html).

jrj84105
02-26-2014, 01:14 PM
I grew up in the Champaign-Urbana area and was a student at the University of Illinois when the Illini/Chief Illiniwek thing was starting to heat up. It was nasty, and there is no way we should ever let things get to that level of conflict. Basically, they are now the Illini with Illini referring to people of Illinois in the same way the Hoosiers (actually a sort of derogatory term like redneck or hayseed) are people from Indiana. I've said before that the only way that we will keep the Ute name is to pull an Illini, remove the NA imagery, and claim that Ute is synaonymous with Utahn. It would still be an uphill battle for us because our native imagery preceded the Ute name (when we were Redskins) whereas Illinois used the Illini name before incorporating the native imagery. Honestly, the loss of Chief Illiniwek was a bigger deal than what we would lose with the drum and feather because he was both the mascot and the logo- a logo that is really substantially more original and graphically interesting than the drum and feather.

Diehard Ute
02-26-2014, 01:54 PM
Someone on Utefans made a post that really summed it up.

The Ute Tribe isn't one tribe. There are many. And none of them can agree on anything.

Couple their lack of civility internally, with many other social issues and the name becomes a big deal.

I really doubt the U can ever get things to be acceptable, there are just too many cooks in the kitchen.

Utah
02-26-2014, 03:36 PM
Someone on Utefans made a post that really summed it up.

The Ute Tribe isn't one tribe. There are many. And none of them can agree on anything.

Couple their lack of civility internally, with many other social issues and the name becomes a big deal.

I really doubt the U can ever get things to be acceptable, there are just too many cooks in the kitchen.

So, at the end of the day, this is all because Whitt can't hire a good OC. Dammit.

sancho
02-27-2014, 10:30 AM

I'm not sure I agree with #4. I think the U - and all universities - should be generous in scholarships to Native Americans, but that's a separate issue unrelated to the name of the football team. I don't like the idea of buying the "Ute" name with scholarships. If it's truly offensive, we do away with it. If not, we keep it. And we give out a bunch scholarships either way.

I also not sure what to think about #1. That stuff is all part of having an Indian name. Again, if a white person wearing a headdress is offensive, I suppose the name ought to go. I wish it could be seen for what it is - we wear a headdress because it is one of the coolest things ever. As far as battle/ceremonial dress goes, nobody rivals Native Americans for cool. The Vikings were close. The Romans were super lame. Maybe I should make a ranking. Do USC fans dress up like ancient Greeks? No, the Trojan war costume is boring. But pirate, Viking, and Indian garb looks amazing. Why have the name at all if you can't use it to its full potential?

Also, sexy Pocahontas is the only sexy American history option for women at Halloween. Has anyone ever seen a sexy Betsy Ross costume?

UBlender
02-27-2014, 12:34 PM
Also, sexy Pocahontas is the only sexy American history option for women at Halloween. Has anyone ever seen a sexy Betsy Ross costume?

Sexy Susan B. Anthony, yo.

Scratch
02-27-2014, 12:36 PM
Sexy Susan B. Anthony, yo.

http://suffragewagon.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/susan-b-anthony-princess.jpg

LA Ute
02-27-2014, 01:11 PM

Try googling "sexy Betsy Ross costume." I did, but since this is a family website I'm going to spare you all from what resulted.

DanielLaRusso
03-21-2014, 12:41 PM
As a follow-up to...myself. Illinois will be ending spring training with a rebrand this year. So we all get to see the next stage of a school that went from iconic native american imagery to one of the blandest, most sanitized brands ever.

jrj84105
03-22-2014, 09:28 PM
As a follow-up to...myself. Illinois will be ending spring training with a rebrand this year. So we all get to see the next stage of a school that went from iconic native american imagery to one of the blandest, most sanitized brands ever.
Speaking of Illinois- we went back home to see the folks this weekend, and I'm seeing a lot of B1G branding on illini gear. Having a school move away from it's traditional branding seems to leave a void where the conference stuff fills in.

LA Ute
04-15-2014, 10:46 AM
Ute Tribe, U. of U. reach new agreement over name

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/57820211-89/tribe-ute-sltrib-com.html.csp

Diehard Ute
04-15-2014, 08:55 PM
Ute Tribe, U. of U. reach new agreement over name

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/57820211-89/tribe-ute-sltrib-com.html.csp

How annoying to see someone who doesn't represent the Ute Tribe trying to stir trouble.

Interesting the U wouldn't go for the helmets, I think that speaks volumes about the U's listening to people...I'm excited to see the jerseys the Tribe picks.

Utah
04-15-2014, 09:09 PM
Major props to the Ute tribe for not going for the money grab. The extra scholarships and opportunities for education will help them out so much more.

Great leadership from Utah and the Ute tribe.

Exciting times.

Rocker Ute
04-16-2014, 11:51 AM
Delon Wright staying - check
Larry K contract extension - check
Apparent depth at QB position - check
Ute's reach a deal with the U to keep the mascot - check

Sheesh, What am I supposed to wring my hands about this off-season?

DanielLaRusso
04-16-2014, 12:01 PM
How annoying to see someone who doesn't represent the Ute Tribe trying to stir trouble.

Interesting the U wouldn't go for the helmets, I think that speaks volumes about the U's listening to people...I'm excited to see the jerseys the Tribe picks.

$20 says that the Tribe will pick a blue uniform.

Diehard Ute
04-16-2014, 12:04 PM
$20 says that the Tribe will pick a blue uniform.

They are getting choices from the U

DanielLaRusso
04-16-2014, 12:23 PM
They are getting choices from the U

Native American Heritage uni's are blue, the choices are limited (http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/52838d626bb3f70f4a1e03c7/several-college-teams-will-wear-these-turquoise-uniforms-for-native-american-heritage-month.jpg)....t-that was the joke.

Applejack
06-18-2014, 06:04 PM
Today the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office ruled that the Redskins name is "disparaging" and therefore cancelled the team's trademarks.

The Utes should grab "cutthroats" before the Washington-D.C.-football-team does.

LA Ute
06-18-2014, 06:16 PM
Today the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office ruled that the Redskins name is "disparaging" and therefore cancelled the team's trademarks.

The Utes should grab "cutthroats" before the Washington-D.C.-football-team does.

Not my favorite. Much better:

sancho
06-18-2014, 07:04 PM

Did you know that Red Rocks backward is Skcor Der?

But cutthroats is my second choice.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

LA Ute
08-21-2014, 10:31 AM
This is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEe3tkbGx6M

LA Ute
08-21-2014, 03:46 PM
Press release related to the Cuch Youtube below:

Utah Athletics Kicks Off Ute Proud Campaign
Tribe and U. athletic teams join together in initiative

SALT LAKE CITY?The Utah athletics department and the Ute Indian Tribe seek to raise awareness of what it means to be a Ute with the launch of the "Ute Proud" campaign. An educational video (http://youtu.be/lEe3tkbGx6M) featuring tribe representative Forrest Cuch rolled out today and will be played on the video board at all Utah home events.

Ute Proud t-shirts, featuring a design that incorporates a graphic by a Ute artist, the circle and feather logo and the Ute Tribe's official seal, will debut at Saturday's Fan Fest. Images of the t-shirt design are attached. All proceeds from the t-shirt sales, which will sell for $20, will benefit Ute Indian scholarships and youth programs. In addition to the Fan Fest on Aug. 23, the shirts will be available soon at the U. Campus Store and area Red Zone stores.

The Utah athletics department will also distribute Ute Proud cards at the Fan Fest and all athletic events. The cards are one in a series of informational tools the U. has created to encourage fans to learn more about the Ute Indian Tribe and thereby, what it means to be "Ute Proud."

The education effort, which is also promoted on UtahUtes.com/UteProud (http://utahutes.com/UteProud) and UteTribe.com (http://utetribe.com/), explains that the Utes are a Great Basin Native American tribe with more than 3,000 tribal members?more than half living on the Uintah and Ouray Reservation in Northeastern Utah. The Utes are important contributors to Utah's economy through developing energy resources and raising livestock. The Utes speak their own language derived from the Uto-Aztecan language family. They were among the first tribes to acquire the horse from the Spanish, which transformed their culture.

The Ute Proud campaign will include a Native American Heritage Awareness promotion for the Utah-Arizona football game on Nov. 22. Utah's helmets for that game will bear the Ute tribal seal, the game ball will be presented to a representative of the tribe, the Ute Honor Guard will present the national colors and there will be a special halftime performance arranged by the Ute tribe's Pow Wow Committee.

"We feel honored to represent the Ute Tribe," said Utah Director of Athletics Dr. Chris Hill. "Our teams, coaches, staff and the entire University community hope our fans will join us in representing the Utes with dignity and respect at all times, and proudly saying 'Go Utes!'"