PDA

View Full Version : The Delon Wright Thread

LA Ute
12-28-2013, 10:37 PM
Must-read article about Delon:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/57323208-77/wright-delon-dorell-utah.html.csp?page=1

SeattleUte
12-29-2013, 09:03 PM
The player with whom Delon Wright invites the closest comparison is Andre Miller (flame away). Both point guards, neither a top shelf shooter in college, yet each capable of ripping a select mid-range jumper or even a trey, a potential for triple double any night, physically strong, posessing great court awareness, and great finishers. Right now Delon is not the assassin that Andre became, he doesn't look for scoring opportunities like Andre did his last season and a half. Andre's signature play: rebounding and going coast to coast for the hoop, faking a dish. Delon, get a little more selfish. Wright's advantage is that he is two inches taller than Andre.

#1 Utefan
12-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Andre was also a lot more physical and stronger then Delon is at this point. Delon appears to be a great talent but if he is going to become a legit NBA 1st round draft pick, he needs to hit the weights and really work on his jump shot and outside shooting in the offseason.

SeattleUte
12-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Andre was also a lot more physical and stronger then Delon is at this point.

Delon looks pretty rocked out in that Trib photo. Nice v-shaped torso.

GarthUte
12-30-2013, 01:35 PM
The player with whom Delon Wright invites the closest comparison is Andre Miller (flame away). Both point guards, neither a top shelf shooter in college, yet each capable of ripping a select mid-range jumper or even a trey, a potential for triple double any night, physically strong, posessing great court awareness, and great finishers. Right now Delon is not the assassin that Andre became, he doesn't look for scoring opportunities like Andre did his last season and a half. Andre's signature play: rebounding and going coast to coast for the hoop, faking a dish. Delon, get a little more selfish. Wright's advantage is that he is two inches taller than Andre.

I think that's an apt comparison. Andre was stronger, but Wright can get stronger with some work in the weight room. The difference that I see is that Wright is quicker. Andre was deceptively quick in that he didn't rush bringing the ball up the floor, but when it was time to make a move to the rim, he left his man wondering what happened. Delon just moves smoothly and quickly all the time. He isn't in a rush, but he moves with and without the ball faster than Andre.

wuapinmon
12-30-2013, 02:41 PM
I gave my son an unopened box of 1988 Donruss baseball cards for Christmas. He loved them and we've spent hours talking about my favorite players. As a result of that gift, every time this thread pops up, I think it's about Angels' player Devon White.

Mormon Red Death
12-30-2013, 02:50 PM
I gave my son an unopened box of 1988 Donruss baseball cards for Christmas. He loved them and we've spent hours talking about my favorite players. As a result of that gift, every time this thread pops up, I think it's about Angels' player Devon White.

Damn that is a great gift. Maybe in a couple of years I will give my son my 1987 unopened fleer baseball card set.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

wuapinmon
12-31-2013, 03:09 PM
Damn that is a great gift. Maybe in a couple of years I will give my son my 1987 unopened fleer baseball card set.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

1988 Donruss was $10 a box including shipping. 1987 Fleer and Donruss were considerably more expensive. And, and, 1987 Fleer was vulnerable to searching. There were whole cases that had zero Texas Rangers in them and no Bo Jackson cards. Caveat emptor. But, what a beautiful set. That Cory Snyder card alone was worth the price of a pack.

wuapinmon
12-31-2013, 03:12 PM
Check that out. It's probably worth getting and forgetting about until he's older. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Topps-Donruss-and-Fleer-Baseball-3-Unopened-Wax-Boxes-/111246217721?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item19e6ca91f9

U-Ute
12-31-2013, 09:10 PM

Preach on brother! I'll make room on this band wagon. Its gonna be a fun ride!

The key for much of Utah's transition game is Wright getting defensive rebounds. He's averaging 6 defensive boards per game. Having a PG that can rebound and make good decisions with the basketball is a huge advantage. It was one of the main reasons Miller was so effective when he was at Utah. My guess is that BYU will commit fewer guys to the offensive glass in order to keep our transition game in check. That will help us counter those long-offensive-rebound-turned-into-3 that BYU tends to get since they shoot so many 3's.

Applejack
02-14-2014, 02:30 PM
On the former Cougaruteforum, there is a discussion going on about the best college player in the state of Utah. Delon is clearly the guy, in my most humble internet opinion.

But what are his NBA odds? Right now he is projected as a late first rounder (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2015/)/early second rounder (http://nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft) if he hits the draft after his senior season. I think that's fair - he has one elite skill (finishing) and is NBA sufficient at rebounding, ball-handling, vision, defense. His obviously glaring flaw is his outside shot. If he can learn to shoot threes, even open ones, he becomes a potential late lottery pick, i would think. Shooting is hard to fix (Andre never learned to hit from outside), so I think he's probably a fringe NBA player/Europe guy.

LA Ute
02-14-2014, 02:50 PM
He also seems to have a little trouble going to his left. I guess he could shoot 1,000 treys and 15-foot pull-up jumpers (each) daily all summer. That might help but he should've developed all that in his teens.

Applejack
02-14-2014, 03:07 PM
He also seems to have a little trouble going to his left. I guess he could shoot 1,000 treys and 15-foot pull-up jumpers (each) daily all summer. That might help but he should've developed all that in his teens.

Players can learn to shoot. Jason Kidd was a terrible shooter out of college and now he's third all-time in 3 pointers made. He is no Ray Allen, but he could hit the open 3 by the time he was 30.

But a lot of players (Andre, every Jazz small forward in history) never improved as long distance shooters. The odds are definitely against him. Hopefully Kodiak can convince him that he'll learn to shoot as a senior.

Diehard Ute
02-14-2014, 03:08 PM
Delon needs to learn to make them in games....he's lights out when no ones guarding him. Of course I'm lights out on the driving range too.....

sancho
02-14-2014, 04:17 PM
On the former Cougaruteforum, there is a discussion going on about the best college player in the state of Utah. Delon is clearly the guy.

That would have to be a short discussion, right? Who else is even close to Delon?

Shooting is hard to fix (Andre never learned to hit from outside), so I think he's probably a fringe NBA player/Europe guy.

Rondo still manages to be very valuable without an outside shot.

LA Ute
02-28-2014, 07:21 AM
Unusually well-done article by Dirk Facer in Delon Wright:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865597499/Utah-Utes-basketball-Wright-is-right-for-U.html

Applejack
02-28-2014, 07:27 AM
Unusually well-done article by Dirk Facer in Delon Wright:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865597499/Utah-Utes-basketball-Wright-is-right-for-U.html

A couple of interesting tea leaves:

- Kodiak says that Delon doesn't have a singular exceptional talent, but does everything well. That seems like a direct knock on his NBA readiness: for the NBA they say you need to have one phenomenal skill, otherwise you turn into Marvin Williams.
- Delon is very evasive about whether he will declare early or not. So is his brother. Bad vibes.
- Interesting that Jared Dubois was so key in his recruitment.

I hope that he gets realistic evals of his draft stock at the end of the year. Some agent is going to get in his head about being a first round lock, which he is not right now.

sancho
02-28-2014, 03:18 PM
I hope that he gets realistic evals of his draft stock at the end of the year. Some agent is going to get in his head about being a first round lock, which he is not right now.

I think he'd go first round.

Utah
02-28-2014, 10:59 PM

Last year, yes. Next year, probably. This year, probably not. This draft is too deep. You could argue that the top 5 picks from last year wouldn't even go top 10 this year.

#1 Utefan
03-01-2014, 06:09 AM
Some agent will try to tell him he is a 1st round lock butt like Utah said, this year's draft is too deep. He would go in the mid to late second round which means no guaranteed contract. Most 2nd rounders end up in the developmental league or Europe.

If Delon needs the money, I can understand him leaving but with his brother being a 10 year NBA guy, I'm sure he would be okay working on his shot, getting stronger, and finishing his degree for one more year rather then toiling in the D-leagueworking on his jumper.

Time will tell but as good as Delon is, I think he needs to significantly improve his outside shot and strength to make an NBA roster.

Applejack
03-01-2014, 08:18 AM

It's possible, but I think the depth of this year's draft hurts him. He's currently listed as the last pick of the first round in a number of 2015 mock drafts. It depends on who declares this year, but assuming all the top players do (there are rumors that Jabari and the big kid from Kansas might stick around) I think he's a fringe first rounder.

sancho
03-01-2014, 08:22 AM
It's possible, but I think the depth of this year's draft hurts him. He's currently listed as the last pick of the first round in a number of 2015 mock drafts. It depends on who declares this year, but assuming all the top players do (there are rumors that Jabari and the big kid from Kansas might stick around) I think he's a fringe first rounder.

Yeah, I've seen that too. I think he's undervalued now and that his stock would rise as more and more scouts look at him closely. When I look at other late first/early second round players, I have to think he would end up ahead after the scouting/workout season.

Plus, he is "old" for the NBA draft, so that might make him want to take his chances now.

Of course, I hope he stays.

U-Ute
03-02-2014, 04:17 PM
If Delon needs the money, I can understand him leaving but with his brother being a 10 year NBA guy, I'm sure he would be okay working on his shot, getting stronger, and finishing his degree for one more year rather then toiling in the D-leagueworking on his jumper.

I hadn't even considered the Dorrell angle. My guess is he'll listen to whatever Dorrell says over any agent.

Diehard Ute
03-02-2014, 04:50 PM
There were two things mentioned by both Dorell and Delon in a recent article.

1) Dorell often wishes he'd had the 'college experience' and is a fan of Delon having it.

2) Both Dorell and Delon think his degree is important and want him to graduate.

Dorell actually said he's a fan of the changed rules that prohibit high school kids going straight to the nba.

UTEopia
03-02-2014, 06:31 PM
I think Delon is a very good player but his offensive game is so one dimensional that it is hard for me to believe that he would be drafted in the first round. I don't pay much attention to the NBA recently, but it seems to me that a 6'5" 180 lb guy who can drive and distribute but has no outside shot and no pull-up shot off the dribble is not going to make it in the NBA for long.

Plus, I really want to see where this team can go next year.

Utah
03-02-2014, 09:49 PM
These next two weeks are HUGE for Delon. A big run in the PAC-12 tourney and a couple wins in the tourney puts him in the first round.

These next few weeks will determine if he comes back or not.

SeattleUte
03-03-2014, 09:14 AM
Back when I followed the NBA players picked in the late first round or thereafter rarely even made the teams. Is that still true? This isn't the NFL.

U-Ute
03-03-2014, 09:14 AM
These next two weeks are HUGE for Delon. A big run in the PAC-12 tourney and a couple wins in the tourney puts him in the first round.

These next few weeks will determine if he comes back or not.

I disagree. But I hope we get to test your theory. :)

Applejack
03-03-2014, 09:55 AM
Back when I followed the NBA players picked in the late first round or thereafter rarely even made the teams. Is that still true? This isn't the NFL.

First round picks get guaranteed money for two years with a team option for the third. Second round picks aren't guaranteed anything, but the top 2nd rounders usually do make the team. The latter half of the second round is usually fringe prospects or Euros who can be stashed.

In general, people jump if they think they are guaranteed first rounders.

SeattleUte
03-03-2014, 11:22 AM
First round picks get guaranteed money for two years with a team option for the third. Second round picks aren't guaranteed anything, but the top 2nd rounders usually do make the team. The latter half of the second round is usually fringe prospects or Euros who can be stashed.

In general, people jump if they think they are guaranteed first rounders.

Seems that if a player is straddling the first and second rounds this provides incentive to stay and try to climb into round 1 for sure.

concerned
03-03-2014, 11:27 AM
Seems that if a player is straddling the first and second rounds this provides incentive to stay and try to climb into round 1 for sure.

If I were betting, I would bet he jumps. Somebody will give him assurance that he will be a first round pick (whether or not he will be) and his age dictates against a return.

Applejack
03-03-2014, 11:38 AM

Agreed. An honest evaluation will likely place Delon as an early second rounder. Most would advise him to come back for a year in that scenario because (1) the 2015 draft looks much weaker than this one and (2) Delon can improve his stock (carrying a Pac-12 contender on his back/learning to shoot).

If I were betting, I would bet he jumps. Somebody will give him assurance that he will be a first round pick (whether or not he will be) and his age dictates against a return.

I agree. It often depends on personalities, and I think while Delon probably enjoys the U, he has had the NBA on his mind for over a decade.

SeattleUte
03-03-2014, 11:47 AM
Agreed. An honest evaluation will likely place Delon as an early second rounder. Most would advise him to come back for a year in that scenario because (1) the 2015 draft looks much weaker than this one and (2) Delon can improve his stock (carrying a Pac-12 contender on his back/learning to shoot).

I agree. It often depends on personalities, and I think while Delon probably enjoys the U, he has had the NBA on his mind for over a decade.

For the record, I only care about what's best for Delon.

Applejack
03-03-2014, 11:59 AM

Duly noted.

Utah
03-03-2014, 12:09 PM
I disagree. But I hope we get to test your theory. :)

Me too. A part of me really wants Delon back next year...BUT, if he blows up, has a huge couple of tournaments and makes a big enough name for himself and goes first round, that would be a pretty sweet run for him and Utah.

sancho
03-03-2014, 12:14 PM

For the record, I want him to stay even if it would be better for him to go.

I still think he will go 1st round if he goes.

SeattleUte
03-03-2014, 12:16 PM
Remember Kodiak may have a better sense of his draft status than anyone close to Delon. I think a lot depends on how much Delon likes and trusts his coach.

sancho
03-03-2014, 12:20 PM
Remember Kodiak may have a better sense of his draft status than anyone

I don't know. I've watched 2-3 NBA regular season games over the past 5 years. I'm pretty sure about my first round grade.

Applejack
03-03-2014, 12:37 PM
I don't know. I've watched 2-3 NBA regular season games over the past 5 years. I'm pretty sure about my first round grade.

I think the people telling Delon to leave will point to Michael Carter-Williams as a comp: http://www.nbadraft.net/players/michael-carter-williams

MCW was much more highly regarded than Delon, but he has a similar build/game: long, deceptively quick, good handle, finishes well, can't shoot. People soured on MCW leading up to the draft because of his jumper and rumors about a bad work ethic, but he's been one of the top two rookies in the league this year.

UBlender
03-03-2014, 01:13 PM
I think the smart money is on Delon testing the waters by declaring for the draft but not signing with an agent, thus leaving open the option of returning (and getting an even better idea for what the scouts want to see from him to improve his stock). From there it will simply depend on how he does at the workouts prior to the draft.

LA Ute
03-10-2014, 12:29 PM
Delon is All-PAC-12, First Team:

2013-14 Pac-12 Conference Men's Basketball Honors
(http://pac-12.com/article/2014/03/10/2013-14-pac-12-conference-mens-basketball-honors)
He also made the All-Defensive Team.

U-Ute
03-11-2014, 02:01 PM
Delon is All-PAC-12, First Team:

2013-14 Pac-12 Conference Men's Basketball Honors
(http://pac-12.com/article/2014/03/10/2013-14-pac-12-conference-mens-basketball-honors)
He also made the All-Defensive Team.

While I'm glad for Delon, I have one gripe...

<rant>

10 guys on a first team? 5 guys on a second team? I hate all conference teams with 3-4 teams of players on them. Basketball teams have 5 guys on the court. Your best 5 are your first team starters, your next 5 are your second team.

</rant>

311ute
04-08-2014, 03:27 PM
For the first time (that I've noticed), Delon is on Chad Ford's top 100 NBA prospects (2014)... checking in at 82.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/results/top100/_/year/2014/set/4

"Wright is intriguing to NBA scouts because of his size. At 6-foot-5, he has great size for his position and is a true point guard. He really needs to continue to work on his jump shot to get a shot at the first round in 2015."

Other Pac-12 players on the list:

6. Aaron Gordon
13. Zach LaVine
24. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
27. Kyle Anderson
42. Jahii Carson
44. C.J. Wilcox
48. Spencer Dinwiddie
51. Jordan Adams
57. Nick Johnson
66. Brandon Ashley
67. Joseph Young
70. Kaleb Tarczewski
73. Jabari Bird
85. Jordan Bachynski
97. Dwight Powell

Wow this conference is talented. For comparasion's sake, MWC has 2 players on the list (spots 95 and 96), and the WCC has 0.

LA Ute
04-08-2014, 03:30 PM
For the first time (that I've noticed), Delon is on Chad Ford's top 100 NBA prospects (2014)... checking in at 82.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/results/top100/_/year/2014/set/4

"Wright is intriguing to NBA scouts because of his size. At 6-foot-5, he has great size for his position and is a true point guard. He really needs to continue to work on his jump shot to get a shot at the first round in 2015."

I was watching the guard play in the Final Four and thinking what a nightmare Delon will be to defend if he can develop a nice pull-up jump shot like those guards all seem to have.

SoCalPat
04-08-2014, 06:09 PM
I was watching the guard play in the Final Four and thinking what a nightmare Delon will be to defend if he can develop a nice pull-up jump shot like those guards all seem to have.

It's a catch-22 with Delon and a jumper. He's so good at finishing at the rim, you'd rather have him shoot from 3 feet than 15. It's a higher percentage shot and will draw more fouls than he would shooting Js. In fact, a mid-range game is probably the last thing Utah needs from Delon, although it's a shot he will probably see more of given how good he is at getting to and finishing at the rim. But would it be nice if he could shoot over 30 percent from 3? Absolutely. He shot 22 percent last year. FWIW, Andre Miller was a career 29% 3PT shooter.

One more thing about Delon vis-a-vis Andre. Andre was never the marksman from the line that Delon is, both in accuracy and attempts.

This is bordering on blasphemy in these parts, but from a purely numbers perspective, what Delon did last year surpassed anything Andre ever did at Utah. Plus, Delon is doing it against better competition. Which makes it paramount for us to make some noise nationally next year. Postseason success is really the only area in which Andre holds a massive edge over Delon. Give Delon an Elite 8 or better appearance, and you're easily talking about one of the 10 greatest players ever at Utah.

LA Ute
04-08-2014, 06:16 PM
It's a catch-22 with Delon and a jumper. He's so good at finishing at the rim, you'd rather have him shoot from 3 feet than 15. It's a higher percentage shot and will draw more fouls than he would shooting Js. In fact, a mid-range game is probably the last thing Utah needs from Delon, although it's a shot he will probably see more of given how good he is at getting to and finishing at the rim. But would it be nice if he could shoot over 30 percent from 3? Absolutely. He shot 22 percent last year. FWIW, Andre Miller was a career 29% 3PT shooter.

One more thing about Delon vis-a-vis Andre. Andre was never the marksman from the line that Delon is, both in accuracy and attempts.

This is bordering on blasphemy in these parts, but from a purely numbers perspective, what Delon did last year surpassed anything Andre ever did at Utah. Plus, Delon is doing it against better competition. Which makes it paramount for us to make some noise nationally next year. Postseason success is really the only area in which Andre holds a massive edge over Delon. Give Delon an Elite 8 or better appearance, and you're easily talking about one of the 10 greatest players ever at Utah.

Agreed. Regarding the pull-up jumper, I am thinking that if he has that weapon defenders will be much less able to simply collapse and try to keep him out of the paint. He can pull up and hit a 10-12 footer if they do. It just makes him an even bigger problem for the other team. Would you agree?

Rocker Ute
04-08-2014, 06:20 PM

On paper... the difference between Andre and Delon now was the court leadership and ability to finish a game. Having the ball in the hands of Andre at the peak of his game here was always a good thing, Delon tends to make some pretty big mental errors.

So I'm okay with you saying what you do about Delon in respect to Andre, but the intangibles (which have also made him have a very nice NBA career) is what keeps Andre on top of the heap.

I agree that a 3 threat from Delon would be the best solution, but if a mid-range jumper gets consistent quicker it isn't really a catch-22 situation because it will open the lanes. Near the end of the season teams were sagging to the basket when he had the ball to take away that shot and it turned out to be relatively effective. If he can hit that mid-range jumper (presuming it is easier for him) then the defense have to play him straight up again, and he'll exploit them each time.

I actually tend to think being a solid 3pt shooter will be easiest for him. The art of the mid-range jumper has largely disappeared from the game because mid-range jumpers are simply hard. With a line in front of you and even some opportunity to set up can be an easier shot to develop.

SoCalPat
04-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Agreed. Regarding the pull-up jumper, I am thinking that if he has that weapon defenders will be much less able to simply collapse and try to keep him out of the paint. He can pull up and hit a 10-12 footer if they do. It just makes him an even bigger problem for the other team. Would you agree?

What you say is true. And its effectiveness would be unquestioned if you didn't have the 3-point shot. But with the 3, and with how Delon is so good at finishing at the basket (he shot 63 percent from 2, which led the Pac-12), it makes little sense for him to develop a mid-range game unless you knew that was the only shot he could get AND he could never crack 22 percent from 3 (which is what he shot last year). And at 6-5, that 10-12 foot shot should be there every time anyway, but as we all know, not all defenders are created equally, and part of the reason he shot 63 percent from 2 is because guys really cannot defend him straight up. So why help the defense by asking Delon to take lower percentage shots?

Also, it bears repeating: Delon is a master at getting to the line. He had nearly 200 FTAs last year, which from the best information available, might be a single-season record at Utah for a guard (The top 10 in the media guide only goes to Doleac and Nevill, who each had a 215 FTA season; Delon had 193). Shooting more mid-range jumpers takes away from that, and again, bails teams out defensively (fewer fouls, etc.).

The 3-point shot, however, is an obvious difference maker. It's worth 33 percent more than any 2-point shot. We're all familiar with that. Delon and Utah would be best served if he could get his percentage above 30 percent. Now, a lot of those 3s will come late in the clock but it doesn't matter -- if he hits 1-2 of them, it does far more damage to what the defense has to do than if Delon drains 5-6 mid-range jumpers.

Scratch
04-08-2014, 09:40 PM
Also, it bears repeating: Delon is a master at getting to the line. He had nearly 200 FTAs last year, which from the best information available, might be a single-season record at Utah for a guard (The top 10 in the media guide only goes to Doleac and Nevill, who each had a 215 FTA season; Delon had 193). Shooting more mid-range jumpers takes away from that, and again, bails teams out defensively (fewer fouls, etc.).

One of the most interesting things about Delon's mastery at getting to the line was it appeared to be a learned/developed skill. Through the first 14 games (Oregon State), Delon had shot 51 FTs, or 3.6 per game. The most he attempted in a game to that point was 7 against Idaho State. However, in the last 19 games, he shot 142 FTs, or 7.5 per game, with 6 games he shot double digit free throws. Of course, this increase coincided with games against better, longer, and more athletic teams, where you would think it would get tougher to get to the line. I think that says a lot about Delon, his ability to learn how to play at this level, and also to adapt as teams started figuring out how to play him. If he can add 15 pounds of muscle he'll be able to be even more effective at taking contact, finishing, and getting to the line.

Scratch
04-08-2014, 09:41 PM
P.S. A 3-pointer is worth 50% more that a 2-pointer. ;)

SoCalPat
04-08-2014, 10:15 PM
P.S. A 3-pointer is worth 50% more that a 2-pointer. ;)

How do I respond to this? One point from 3 is 33 percent, so that's where I got my math from. I also can recognize that 1 point more than 2 is a 50 percent increase.

SoCalPat
04-08-2014, 10:19 PM
One of the most interesting things about Delon's mastery at getting to the line was it appeared to be a learned/developed skill. Through the first 14 games (Oregon State), Delon had shot 51 FTs, or 3.6 per game. The most he attempted in a game to that point was 7 against Idaho State. However, in the last 19 games, he shot 142 FTs, or 7.5 per game, with 6 games he shot double digit free throws. Of course, this increase coincided with games against better, longer, and more athletic teams, where you would think it would get tougher to get to the line. I think that says a lot about Delon, his ability to learn how to play at this level, and also to adapt as teams started figuring out how to play him. If he can add 15 pounds of muscle he'll be able to be even more effective at taking contact, finishing, and getting to the line.

It's a learned skill, but I also think you could attribute the following to Delon's increased FTAs:

1. He had a rep and started getting calls from the officials

2. Our games were more competitive, and we won several of them. The closer your MOV is when you win, I think it's safe to say you're probably going to have more FTAs because the opposition is in foul-at-all-costs mode.

Applejack
04-09-2014, 08:14 AM
I've been saying this since the pre-season "schedule": Delon should spend all summer shooting 3s. A pull up game would be nice, but teams will still prefer his pull up game to a layup. In other words, a pull up jumper will not create more layups for Delon.

If Delon could hit 3s, on the other hand, teams would be forced to guard him beyond the arc (something that doesn't happen now) which would allow him to blow-by people - something that rarely happened this year outside of fast breaks because teams sag on him so much.

If Delon wants to get people talking about him as a high draft pick, he really needs to be consistent on hitting 3s off of pick and rolls. Right now, Utah can't run a pick and roll with him because teams can go under the screen with no consequences (Delon won't hit the 3 and he is not great and hitting the rolling big man on the pass). If he were a threat to shoot on those plays, our offense would have instant life.

chrisrenrut
04-09-2014, 08:50 AM
On paper... the difference between Andre and Delon now was the court leadership and ability to finish a game. Having the ball in the hands of Andre at the peak of his game here was always a good thing. . .

Unless Royce F***ing Olney is on the floor.

LA Ute
04-09-2014, 10:27 AM
I've been saying this since the pre-season "schedule": Delon should spend all summer shooting 3s. A pull up game would be nice, but teams will still prefer his pull up game to a layup. In other words, a pull up jumper will not create more layups for Delon.

If Delon could hit 3s, on the other hand, teams would be forced to guard him beyond the arc (something that doesn't happen now) which would allow him to blow-by people - something that rarely happened this year outside of fast breaks because teams sag on him so much.

If Delon wants to get people talking about him as a high draft pick, he really needs to be consistent on hitting 3s off of pick and rolls. Right now, Utah can't run a pick and roll with him because teams can go under the screen with no consequences (Delon won't hit the 3 and he is not great and hitting the rolling big man on the pass). If he were a threat to shoot on those plays, our offense would have instant life.

I endorse this post. But I still think a pull-up jumper would be a great weapon. It should be as easy for him to develop that shot (because of his great body control) as it would to be for him to become a good trey shooter.

U-Ute
04-14-2014, 06:52 PM
A pull up jumper (a la Boatright and Napier) is for smaller quicker guards who are unable to get above the rim amongst the trees. They pump fake the 3 and then drive the lane as far as they can before pulling up.

Delon hitting a respectable % of 3's would have the same effect as when LeBron started hitting 3's: guys had to finally run him off the 3 point line, allowing him to put the ball on the floor and get to the rim. Especially since he is big enough to handle the contact. That's the second part: Delon needs to put on another 20 pounds to withstand the contact.

Those two things are 1 and 1a he needs to work on.

Plus, the added strength will help him with those 3's late in the game.

LA Ute
04-14-2014, 09:54 PM
A pull up jumper (a la Boatright and Napier) is for smaller quicker guards who are unable to get above the rim amongst the trees. They pump fake the 3 and then drive the lane as far as they can before pulling up.

Delon hitting a respectable % of 3's would have the same effect as when LeBron started hitting 3's: guys had to finally run him off the 3 point line, allowing him to put the ball on the floor and get to the rim. Especially since he is big enough to handle the contact. That's the second part: Delon needs to put on another 20 pounds to withstand the contact.

Those two things are 1 and 1a he needs to work on.

Plus, the added strength will help him with those 3's late in the game.

OK, you've convinced me.

FountainOfUte
04-15-2014, 03:03 PM
OK, you've convinced me.

That was too easy, man. This is the offseason! If we're going to make it through with any dialogue whatsoever, we need to be more disagreeable and entrenched in our own dogmatic opinions defending them loyaly in the face of all logic and irrefutable facts.

LA Ute
04-15-2014, 07:18 PM
That was too easy, man. This is the offseason! If we're going to make it through with any dialogue whatsoever, we need to be more disagreeable and entrenched in our own dogmatic opinions defending them loyaly in the face of all logic and irrefutable facts.

I don't agree with this. In fact, your view is evidence of your lack of intelligence and low moral character, and it makes me wonder whether you are a true Utah fan.

(How am I doing?)

FountainOfUte
04-16-2014, 01:32 PM
I don't agree with this. In fact, your view is evidence of your lack of intelligence and low moral character, and it makes me wonder whether you are a true Utah fan.

(How am I doing?)

MUCH better...ya putz. :D

DrumNFeather
07-16-2014, 10:48 AM
ESPN released its first big board for the 2015 Draft. Delon is not in the top 30 currently, but one guy that is, is Ron Baker from Witchta St. That could be a matchup that really helps push Delon's stock up if he has a good game.

There will certainly be plenty of opportunities in P12 play as well as Arizona has a few guys on there and Cal's Bird is on the list too.

Rocker Ute
07-16-2014, 11:16 AM
ESPN released its first big board for the 2015 Draft. Delon is not in the top 30 currently, but one guy that is, is Ron Baker from Witchta St. That could be a matchup that really helps push Delon's stock up if he has a good game.

There will certainly be plenty of opportunities in P12 play as well as Arizona has a few guys on there and Cal's Bird is on the list too.

Ron Baker was the one thing I loved about the Shockers when they played in SLC a couple of years ago. Kid is amazing.

SoCalPat
07-16-2014, 05:32 PM

Baker is a 2, but given the size of Utah's and WSU's backcourts, I expect Delon to draw Baker, with Taylor and Fred Vanvleet (WSU starting PG) drawing each other's assignment.

UtahsMrSports
07-17-2014, 10:41 PM
Baker is a 2, but given the size of Utah's and WSU's backcourts, I expect Delon to draw Baker, with Taylor and Fred Vanvleet (WSU starting PG) drawing each other's assignment.
I am not even sure if Taylor will start. Tucker or ogbe could make a case.

Applejack
07-18-2014, 09:24 AM

Is this just your hope? Taylor was clearly the best of those three last year. I hope that Ogbe makes a big leap this year, but I think Taylor is our guy.

LA Ute
07-18-2014, 09:29 AM
Is this just your hope? Taylor was clearly the best of those three last year. I hope that Ogbe makes a big leap this year, but I think Taylor is our guy.

Agreed, but I do think he'll see fewer minutes, mainly in games when opponents are exploiting the height disadvantage. Larry's options for dealing with those situations will be much less limited now.

Applejack
07-18-2014, 09:32 AM
Agreed, but I do think he'll see fewer minutes, mainly in games when opponents are exploiting the height disadvantage. Larry's options for dealing with those situations will be much less limited now.

I hope that's the case. I have undying love for Lil' BTay - he's our most tenacious defender and best shooter. But I really hope Ogbe can take the Sophmore leap.

UtahsMrSports
07-18-2014, 10:22 AM
I hope that's the case. I have undying love for Lil' BTay - he's our most tenacious defender and best shooter. But I really hope Ogbe can take the Sophmore leap.

I agree completely with this and LA's post. I just dont know if Larry might prefer him as a spark guy off the bench. Either way, I love BT. His career has been not too shabby for a guy some clowns labeled as a "WCC guy" who would likely transfer after 1 year.

U-Ute
07-18-2014, 01:32 PM

Neither of those guys have the handles or passing ability Taylor does.

Applejack
07-18-2014, 01:34 PM
Neither of those guys have the handles or passing ability Taylor does.

Not to mention defense and shooting.

But they are young - Ogbe is the guy I'm really hoping makes a jump. I think we generally know who Tucker is.

U-Ute
07-18-2014, 01:36 PM
Not to mention defense and shooting.

But they are young - Ogbe is the guy I'm really hoping makes a jump. I think we generally know who Tucker is.

I agree. I think Ogbe could end up being a great catch-and-shoot player.

justaute
07-18-2014, 01:57 PM
Although Taylor is thus far the best shooter, he has a difficult time getting shots off when defended by a decent defender. Given his height, Taylor is not particularly quick and nor does he possess top-flight ball-handling skills -- at least last season, anyway. I'm also hopeful he will also minimize his careless errors in the back-court.

SoCalPat
07-19-2014, 10:48 PM
Although Taylor is thus far the best shooter, he has a difficult time getting shots off when defended by a decent defender. Given his height, Taylor is not particularly quick and nor does he possess top-flight ball-handling skills -- at least last season, anyway. I'm also hopeful he will also minimize his careless errors in the back-court.

It is impossible to play Taylor straight-up AND keep Delon from getting to the basket nearly at will. Taylor's defender will almost always have a secondary assignment that will force Delon to get past another man and not give him lanes to drive to the hoop. This scenario is not something that worries me -- Taylor will always get more open looks than most 5-11 guards simply because of his running mate in the backcourt.

Taylor's errors in the backcourt come when teams make a concerted effort to trap him when he has the ball. If you can press Utah and keep the ball out of Delon's hands, you have a huge advantage against Utah, because the two guys who will handle the ball most after Delon -- Taylor and Loveridge -- have either size limitations or are not particularly gifted passers. Watch the second half of the UCLA game we won at home for the best evidence of this. The Catch-22 for the opposition in trapping Taylor in the halfcourt is that if you don't force a turnover right away, you're basically giving away a deuce in the book.

UtahsMrSports
07-20-2014, 10:18 AM
It is impossible to play Taylor straight-up AND keep Delon from getting to the basket nearly at will. Taylor's defender will almost always have a secondary assignment that will force Delon to get past another man and not give him lanes to drive to the hoop. This scenario is not something that worries me -- Taylor will always get more open looks than most 5-11 guards simply because of his running mate in the backcourt.

Taylor's errors in the backcourt come when teams make a concerted effort to trap him when he has the ball. If you can press Utah and keep the ball out of Delon's hands, you have a huge advantage against Utah, because the two guys who will handle the ball most after Delon -- Taylor and Loveridge -- have either size limitations or are not particularly gifted passers. Watch the second half of the UCLA game we won at home for the best evidence of this. The Catch-22 for the opposition in trapping Taylor in the halfcourt is that if you don't force a turnover right away, you're basically giving away a deuce in the book.

There has been a number of reports that Delon has become a respectable shooter. Impossible to know right now if thats just fluff or not but if true, defending him will be even tougher and should get bt more open looks.

Bt still needs to figure out what a good shot is. A bt open three is about as good as anytging else we could hope for. He needs to take them. None of this faking and driving into a contested shot.

UtahsMrSports
10-02-2014, 11:21 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbexperts/post?id=3010&ex_cid=Insider_share_3010_Top%20matchup%20nightmar es%20for%202014-15

Another day, another article praising Delon. His ceiling this year is the Wooden award, and while I dont expect it, its not out of the realm of possibility either. He is on enough radars.

chrisrenrut
10-14-2014, 11:13 AM
". . .Although the court is where Wright shines, it’s the promise he made to his mother to get a degree that matters most to him right now. . ."

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=31951598&nid=635&title=delon-wrights-focus-on-education-a-win-on-the-court&s_cid=queue-4

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 01:27 PM
From ESPN today:

Delon Wright's Breakout Role (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11973617/utah-delon-wright-ready-spotlight)

Some pretty interesting stats here about Delon's worth to the Utes.

Mormon Red Death
12-10-2014, 02:31 PM
From ESPN today:

Delon Wright's Breakout Role (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11973617/utah-delon-wright-ready-spotlight)

Some pretty interesting stats here about Delon's worth to the Utes.

Hack!

LA Ute
12-10-2014, 03:39 PM
Hack!

Guilty as charged, except I lacked intent.

Mormon Red Death
12-19-2014, 11:06 AM
From insider (http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12026852/delon-wright-nation-most-versatile-player-college-basketball)today

If there were an award given to the team that has provided the most entertainment value, I have to believe the Utah Utes (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/254/utah-utes) would make that short list. Thus far this season, Larry Krystkowiak's men have already played San Diego State, Wichita State, Brigham Young and Kansas, and all of those games came down to the final minute. If you enjoy close games involving top-quality combatants, the 7-2 Utes are for you.

And while we're on the subject of awards, it occurs to me that Utah point guard Delon Wright (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66236/delon-wright) has made one very compelling case for first-team All-America honors. Start with the fact that the 6-foot-5 senior is quite simply an outstanding scoring point guard. In the Utes' past three games -- against the Shockers, Cougars and Jayhawks -- Wright's been on the floor for 187 possessions, and in that time, he dished 14 assists while scoring 52 points on 19-of-26 shooting inside the arc. He draws more than five fouls per 40 minutes, and he's shooting 76 percent at the line. And this season, Wright has apparently achieved respectability from beyond the arc, averaging a couple of attempts per contest from out there, knocking them down at a 35 percent rate.
Then, add in the fact that on defense, Wright is a tireless tormentor of opposing teams. His steal percentage last season ranked in the top 30 nationally, and in the aforementioned 187 possessions against top competition, he recorded four blocks (including one particularly spectacular rejection during the Utes' second-half run against KU). His point guard duties keep him off the offensive glass, but Wright is in effect his team's second option for a defensive rebound after 7-foot freshman Jakob Poeltl (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3134908/jakob-poeltl).
I put it to you that this is one comprehensive body of work, and it's no mistake that in terms of minutes, Utah's rotation this season can be summarized as Wright and four other guys. (Though this may change when Jordan Loveridge (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61737/jordan-loveridge) returns from his hamstring injury.) There may be other point guards who can match Wright's impact on offense (Notre Dame's Jerian Grant (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/51374/jerian-grant), for example), and there may be other guards who can contribute as much defensively as the Utah senior (Ohio State's Shannon Scott (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/56694/shannon-scott) comes to mind). But is there another guard nationally who makes a bigger difference for his team on both sides of the ball? If so, let me know.

A junior college transfer who arrived in Salt Lake City last season by way of City College of San Francisco, Wright is having a superb abbreviated Division I career -- and to its credit, the NBA has taken note. Indeed, the fact that Wright's being projected as a mid first-round pick -- even though he's a 22-year-old (23 in April) who's a bit on the spindly side -- is enough to redeem my faith in the evaluative prowess of the front-office types at the next level. NBA types, I salute you.

Applejack
12-19-2014, 01:02 PM
I don't want to get ahead of myself here, but Delon is likely to be in the conversation for first team All-American and might, MIGHT, be in the conversation for the Wooden Award. But he is a weird statistical sell - he doesn't score a ton of points or lead the top team in the nation; he's a do everything stat stuffer who dominates on both ends of the floor. That type of player doesn't usually win the Wooden Award.

I don't trust our marketing folks to figure any of this out until June. So, we need to start some homegrown momentum. Who wants to start this train?

U-Ute
12-21-2014, 07:37 AM
I'm in. We need a catchy hashtag to put on Twitter. #Delon4Wooden or something much better.

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-21-2014, 09:16 AM
I'm in. We need a catchy hashtag to put on Twitter. #Delon4Wooden or something much better.

#Delon.The WrightChoiceFor ThisYear'sWoodenAward

U-Ute
12-21-2014, 10:21 AM
#Delon.The WrightChoiceFor ThisYear'sWoodenAward

#DWrightStuff4WoodenAward

Applejack
12-22-2014, 11:27 AM
#DelontheFelon (for when he steals the ball!).

Applejack
01-14-2015, 10:01 AM
I personally saw Delon in a Utes uniform for perhaps the last time against USC and UCLA two weeks ago. (Barring an amazingly awesome East Coast tournament slot). I was debating with my dad whether we retire his jersey. I know there is some sort of formal requirement to get a jersey retired at the U (first or second team All-American?); even Mike Doleac doesn't have a jersey in the rafters. I think Delon will be second team AA this year. I also think we retire his number.

Watching him in person takes me back to Andre's day. The two players are so different, but they both played on a different level than everyone else on the floor. Against UCLA, Delon jumped the passing lane for a steal so early that he had to wait for the Bruin to make the ill-fated pass. It seems like he has been in the opposing team's huddle during the break. Andre had this same superpower. I've been slightly critical of Delon for taking plays off at times, but he is so much better than the players on the floor (both teams) that I can understand why he does it. He is an elite college defender, the best perimeter defender ever at Utah.

Delon really has two elite talents: defense (particularly team defense) and finishing. He makes the most difficult finishes look routine. Andre had a knack for getting easy shots (put backs, pull ups, etc) but he wasn't as good of a finisher as Delon is. Delon's length and glide let him take small angles and turn them into layups. I've never seen a guy get to the rim from such difficult paths without just jumping over people. This is the thing I think I will miss most about watching him. Against USC he had a fast break where he kept the ball, picked up his dribble at the foul line and took two steps towards the corner of the court. He then turned and softly banked the ball in, running full speed away from the rim. It looked effortless (and probably was), but 99% of college players don't even take that shot.

Delon will be missed.

311ute
01-14-2015, 10:12 AM
Three articles in the past 24 hours....

John Gasaway from ESPN lists Delon #2 on his "Top 25 players in College Hoops" list:

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12160036/the-nation-top-25-players-college-basketball

2. Delon Wright (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66236/delon-wright), Utah Utes (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/254/utah-utes)

The fact that the hitherto obscure Wright -- playing for hitherto obscure Utah -- is now plainly getting the attention he deserves is enough to make me think the struggle for trusty basketball information really has been won. (Then I look at the RPI and get back to work.)
I've already made the case that Wright is the nation's most versatile player (http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12026852/delon-wright-nation-most-versatile-player-college-basketball), so I'll merely add here that he is also laudably aware of his limitations. Wright is in the midst of a 1-for-13 dry spell from beyond the arc, and for that reason he's now down to about one attempt per game from out there. Meanwhile, as a defender he's still making life miserable for opposing guards in the Pac-12 (recording eight steals over his past 103 defensive possessions), and at 6-foot-5 he's still posting point guard-rate stats eerily similar to those of the shorter, feistier likes of Fred VanVleet (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/62189/fred-vanvleet)or T.J. McConnell (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/51279/tj-mcconnell).
Utah has opened conference play with three blowouts in Salt Lake City against the soft midsection of the league (USC, UCLA and Colorado). Larry Krystkowiak has very clearly worked wonders in SLC, but the great looming mystery of this Pac-12 season is whether the Utes can really take this act on the road. And with Utah scheduled to take on Arizona this Saturday in Tucson, we're about to find out. Wright will have every opportunity to prove his new-found acclaim is entirely justified.

Sporting News uses advanced analytics to rank the best players in College Basketball... Delon is #1:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2015-01-14/ranking-the-top-college-basketball-players-based-on-advanced-metrics-ratings-delon-wright-frank-kaminsky

Sporting News also came out with their mid-season All-America Teams... Delon is on the 1st team:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2015-01-13/all-americans-college-basketball-midseason-jahlil-okafor-cauley-stein

He truly is a special, special player.

UtahsMrSports
01-14-2015, 10:15 AM
I personally saw Delon in a Utes uniform for perhaps the last time against USC and UCLA two weeks ago. (Barring an amazingly awesome East Coast tournament slot). I was debating with my dad whether we retire his jersey. I know there is some sort of formal requirement to get a jersey retired at the U (first or second team All-American?); even Mike Doleac doesn't have a jersey in the rafters. I think Delon will be second team AA this year. I also think we retire his number.

Watching him in person takes me back to Andre's day. The two players are so different, but they both played on a different level than everyone else on the floor. Against UCLA, Delon jumped the passing lane for a steal so early that he had to wait for the Bruin to make the ill-fated pass. It seems like he has been in the opposing team's huddle during the break. Andre had this same superpower. I've been slightly critical of Delon for taking plays off at times, but he is so much better than the players on the floor (both teams) that I can understand why he does it. He is an elite college defender, the best perimeter defender ever at Utah.

Delon really has two elite talents: defense (particularly team defense) and finishing. He makes the most difficult finishes look routine. Andre had a knack for getting easy shots (put backs, pull ups, etc) but he wasn't as good of a finisher as Delon is. Delon's length and glide let him take small angles and turn them into layups. I've never seen a guy get to the rim from such difficult paths without just jumping over people. This is the thing I think I will miss most about watching him. Against USC he had a fast break where he kept the ball, picked up his dribble at the foul line and took two steps towards the corner of the court. He then turned and softly banked the ball in, running full speed away from the rim. It looked effortless (and probably was), but 99% of college players don't even take that shot.

Delon will be missed.

SoCalPat can probably correct me, but isn't there something about representing your country in some fashion to have your jersey retired? Maybe im crazy (probably the case).

But your comments are spot on. Delon is a once in a generation type player. I can't wait to follow his NBA career, but ill sure enjoy every second that he has left as a Utah Ute.

what blows my mind is, Delon signed with us fresh off of a season where we went 6-25 and trailed in our last game by some ludicrous score like 32-2 when he had interest from Gonzaga and the Washington schools.

Applejack
01-14-2015, 11:57 AM
SoCalPat can probably correct me, but isn't there something about representing your country in some fashion to have your jersey retired? Maybe im crazy (probably the case).

But your comments are spot on. Delon is a once in a generation type player. I can't wait to follow his NBA career, but ill sure enjoy every second that he has left as a Utah Ute.

what blows my mind is, Delon signed with us fresh off of a season where we went 6-25 and trailed in our last game by some ludicrous score like 32-2 when he had interest from Gonzaga and the Washington schools.

I don't think there is a country requirement. Did Keith Van Horn play for the national team? I honestly don't recall.

Also, didn't Delon sign after Larry's second year (15-18)? I don't remember the timing.

UtahsMrSports
01-14-2015, 12:56 PM
I don't think there is a country requirement. Did Keith Van Horn play for the national team? I honestly don't recall.

Also, didn't Delon sign after Larry's second year (15-18)? I don't remember the timing.

Delon signed in August of 2012, just before the second year.

concerned
01-17-2015, 09:01 PM
I know everybody says tonight's game ought to give Poeltl pause, but it ought to give Delon pause too. He is going to have trouble against NBA defenders. The play right before half where he was forced to back off and dribbled into a double team is a good example. He is not explosively quick, cant really elevate for a jump shot and his three point shooting tonight was atrocious. McConnell is much better in the paint than Delon, tonight at least.

Mormon Red Death
01-22-2015, 06:54 AM
Per Espn Insider article (http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12204111/dangelo-russell-top-point-guards-college-basketball) today:

If you could pick one point guard in college basketball to win you one game right now, who would it be?Jeff Goodman: Jay, I actually thought about taking a freshman in Maryland's Melo Trimble (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3131632/melo-trimble). I love his game and his maturity, but he's still a frosh and I'd want a guy with more experience. I'm going with Utah senior Delon Wright (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66236/delon-wright) -- he does a ton of everything. What separates him from so many of the other point guards is his high-level ability to defend. He's terrific on that end, can get to the basket and score, distributes, makes quality decisions and rebounds his position. His perimeter shot is average, but that area of his game has improved. He's 22 years old and has made Utah nationally relevant. In fact, the program completely changed when he arrived from the junior college ranks.

Applejack
01-22-2015, 07:33 AM
I know everybody says tonight's game ought to give Poeltl pause, but it ought to give Delon pause too. He is going to have trouble against NBA defenders. The play right before half where he was forced to back off and dribbled into a double team is a good example. He is not explosively quick, cant really elevate for a jump shot and his three point shooting tonight was atrocious. McConnell is much better in the paint than Delon, tonight at least.

Delon will definitely struggle with the length and athleticism of the nba. But so does everyone. Even jimmer!

I think Wright will be a very different pro than college player. He is most likely going to be a backup of who comes in, steadies the ship, and plays hard nosed defense. He will have to gain strength and he really needs to get a jumper, but he's already an nba level defender and finisher. He won't be a superstar in the nba, but I think he'll have a nice career.

LA Ute
01-22-2015, 06:05 PM
Terrific photo from last night's game. I love the way the drum and feather logo shows up from the bottom of the scoreboard:

concerned
01-30-2015, 08:21 AM

I reiterate these comments after the Arizona game. last night was worse. He has disappeared in our two most important conference road games.

Utebiquitous
01-30-2015, 09:14 AM
Totally agree Concerned. It's real easy to assert yourself with six minutes left in a game down 15. I wonder if Larry deserves some of the blame - I don't know. It's a team strength to have a number of players who can score and we do; but great teams still need a player or two who can take over games when needed. Those players need to sense those situations and make things happen. I err to the side of letting the game come to you but there are situations where having someone who can initiate is essential to winning. I believe Delon is better at that than he realizes. ...but maybe he isn't.

UtahsMrSports
01-30-2015, 09:20 AM
Offense was not the main issue in this game. Effort on defense and rebounding was the main issue. If the defensive effort had been there, the offense would have been fine. Shoot, if the defensive effort had been there, we'd have won with the 60 points we scored. UCLA did nothing to impress other than play hard.

I thought the biggest problem was our turnovers. Led them to a lot of easy offense. I couldn't agree more with your last sentence. They wanted it more and played harder. And for a utah team, that is suprising, and very very disappointing. Hopefully, this is just one game and we can right the course.

Two Utes
01-30-2015, 09:30 AM
I reiterate these comments after the Arizona game. last night was worse. He has disappeared in our two most important conference road games.

We don't really have anybody stepping up and making shots when we need them other than our 5'9" guard. Loveridge really should be that guy but he seems to disappear on the road in big games. I thought Delon was the greatest finisher in the history of Utah basketball. But the last 10 games he isn't finishing at all. As for Poetl, and I have some personal experience with this, he's hit a wall. It's his first season in D1 basketball that started way back at the beginning of October. It's physical and the practices are hard. Combine that with games, and first year guys tend to fade a bit down the stretch--especially those playing significant minutes. And we're soft.

concerned
01-30-2015, 09:31 AM
We don't really have anybody stepping up and making shots when we need them other than our 5'9" guard. Loveridge really should be that guy but he seems to disappear on the road in big games. I thought Delon was the greatest finisher in the history of Utah basketball. But the last 10 games he isn't finishing at all. As for Poetl, and I have some personal experience with this, he's hit a wall. It's his first season in D1 basketball that started way back at the beginning of October. It's physical and the practices are hard. Combine that with games, and first year guys tend to fade a bit down the stretch--especially those playing significant minutes. And we're soft.

Agree 100%

LA Ute
02-24-2015, 10:10 PM
This is a very interesting analysis of Delon's 2015 performance:

http://pachoops.com/2015/02/delon-wright-is-still-surprising-us/

DrumNFeather
02-26-2015, 12:02 PM
One of 14 finalists for the Oscar Robertson award. http://www.sportswriters.net/usbwa/news/2015/oscar150226.html

Old Standing ute
02-27-2015, 03:43 PM
With tomorrow being his last game at the Hunty: I have watched a lot of good/great players at Utah. From Vranes-Chambers toVan Horn-Bogut.

Can't say Delon is the best, But IMO he is the most entertaining/fun to watch player that has played on the Hill.

He just sees things 1 step ahead---

Hope he can go out on a high note.

DrumNFeather
04-10-2015, 06:21 PM
Wins the Bob Cousy award as the best pg of the year!

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-17-2015, 12:15 AM
http://www.nba.com/2015/news/draft/04/16/utahs-wright-made-right-decision-to-stay-for-senior-season/

U-Ute
04-18-2015, 03:22 PM
http://www.nba.com/2015/news/draft/04/16/utahs-wright-made-right-decision-to-stay-for-senior-season/

What a great story. What a great kid. The fact that he got the academics turned around speaks volumes about his character.

chrisrenrut
05-17-2015, 05:01 PM
I saw a few minutes of the NBA combine, mostly during the scrimmage. I heard them talk a bit about Delon, but didn't see much of him. Anyone following more closely?

Diehard Ute
05-17-2015, 05:20 PM
I saw a few minutes of the NBA combine, mostly during the scrimmage. I heard them talk a bit about Delon, but didn't see much of him. Anyone following more closely?

He was one of the "top" players who were held out of the 5 on 5 stuff. They kept the lottery picks and likely first rounders limited to measurements and interviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisrenrut
07-11-2015, 03:42 PM
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=35449868&nid=635&title=delon-wright-impresses-in-first-summer-league-game-with-raptors

Hopefully the following will help attract recruits with NBA aspirations to playbfor Krystkowiak.

Mermuys said Wright had an advantage with former NBA head coach Larry Krystkowiak as his head coach in Utah. Krystkowiak implemented several NBA sets into the offensive rotation.

"Because he had an NBA coach in college, he had a familiarity with NBA sets in a game, so it wasn't like it was brand new to him," Mermuys said. "We did run some things that he probably hasn't seen before, but he's got great size and he's got great length. That allows you to be able to see over defenses and get the ball in places it's got to go where smaller guys can't."
Wright said having Krystkowiak set up NBA sets in college made it a much easier transition to an NBA style of play.
"He definitely prepared us for this type of offense," Wright said. "We ran a lot of NBA sets, so it was an easy transition for me to come in and be ready to run this type of offense."

justaute
07-12-2015, 10:22 PM
Delon doing his thing.

http://gfycat.com/GrimLastIberianmidwifetoad#

U-Ute
07-16-2015, 11:08 AM
Delon doing his thing.

http://gfycat.com/GrimLastIberianmidwifetoad#

Delon is really, really, good at pick and roll.

Dwight Schr-Ute
07-16-2015, 12:16 PM
http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2015/07/15/the-idiosyncratic-delon-wright/

U-Ute
07-16-2015, 03:22 PM
Seems like a fair analysis.

concerned
10-01-2015, 04:18 PM
great article if you havent seen it yet

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/dorell-wright-delon-wright-brothers-nba-rookie-letter/

UtahsMrSports
10-29-2015, 10:13 PM
Delon got a DNP-CD in the raptors first game. Im not going to be one of these Jimmer zealots who wants to burn down the house of any coach who doesnt play my guy 40 a night, but it is puzzling that the Raptors reached a bit to draft Delon and then almost immediately signed Cory Joseph.

Long season, injuries, patience, etc. I get it, just find it a bit odd..

U-Ute
04-14-2016, 09:32 AM
Delon goes for 18 pts, 5 rebs, and 7 assists in their season finale against Brooklyn. Not to mention this sweet dime.

https://vine.co/v/it7eug3jmVT

He's looking much thicker now. Those NBA workouts are having an effect.

Applejack
04-14-2016, 10:22 AM
Was he getting playing time because the Raptors had their seed sowed up, or do we expect him to get time during the playoffs?

he's come on strong in the last month, but he's still 3rd string behind Lowry (All-Star) and Joseph. He'll get garbage time in the playoffs.

But he cracked 100 points for his rookie year; at the all-star break that looked impossible.

chrisrenrut
12-20-2016, 01:39 PM
He says tomorrow in the tweet, but means Thursday.

Mormon Red Death
12-20-2016, 06:30 PM
I searched twitter and found out

Applejack
01-14-2017, 02:53 PM
Delon is cleared to play for the first time all year. (shoulder surgery)

Applejack
12-18-2017, 09:33 AM
Once again, he's back on the court after recovering from shoulder issues.

Scorcho
01-04-2018, 09:29 AM
https://twitter.com/Raptors/status/948950440955334656

shoulder seems fine

Irving Washington
11-03-2019, 08:08 AM
What's Delon's status? I haven't seen him in any of Memphis' box scores.

concerned
11-03-2019, 08:29 AM

Try looking at the Mavs box scores

Applejack
11-04-2019, 01:30 PM

He is shooting much better than before. His true shooting percentage of 71.6% this year is, to put it mildly, unsustainable. As a reference, the best year Steph Curry has ever had he shot about 67% true shooting. So Delon is doing better shooting the rock than the best shooter of all-time at the peak of his powers.

Not too shabby.

U-Ute
11-05-2019, 08:28 AM
Try looking at the Mavs box scores

Doncic, Porzingis, and Wright.

That team is stacked for the future.

jonathanfj69
01-29-2022, 09:55 AM
Free Porn Pictures and Best HD Sex Photoshttp://freecablepornmartell.hoterika.com/?elena anarexic skinny porn photo galleries free porn fuck my teacher gay porn yaoi main porn babes teens porn

jonathanfj69
01-29-2022, 09:58 AM
Dirty Porn Photos, daily updated gallerieshttp://richmondencore.energysexy.com/?kelli free small tit porn porn grandpa fucks grandma ebony graney porn videos free teen titants porn free anime porn movie gallery

jonathanfj69
01-29-2022, 10:01 AM
Nude Sex Pics, Sexy Naked Women, Hot Girls Pornhttp://kahramanmaras.hotandsexyfilm.amandahot.com/?veronica free brazilian porn galleries maxine tia porn actresses amatuer porn perfect tits jenna haze porn star anal hot gay free porn big dickk

jonathanfj69
01-29-2022, 10:02 AM
Teen Girls Pussy Pics. Hot gallerieshttp://sex.astrakhan.topanasex.com/?whitney free little sister sex porn brother sister porn galleries utube free chinses prn hardcore porn piccs code geass porn video

jonathanfj69
01-29-2022, 10:04 AM
Hot teen picshttp://bursatgirl.movies.adablog69.com/?daniela man midget porn bus molest porn free young mom and son porn rfee all day porn porn stars top

jonathanfj69
01-29-2022, 10:09 AM
Sexy pictures each dayhttp://asianstripcam.amandahot.com/?alyson johnie black porn star reservation anal sex porn downlowds porn hub home made tubes up close one on one porn fat and skinny porn

jonathanfj69
01-29-2022, 10:13 AM
Sexy teen photo gallerieshttp://tuncelisareestills.danexxx.com/?kaylynn legend of zelda xxx hentai porn converse shoes girls porn jeans classic porn rapidshare tranny tan lines porn porn fetishes free porn

jonathanfj69
01-29-2022, 10:16 AM
Dirty Porn Photos, daily updated gallerieshttp://sexmodel.calbayogcity.alypics.com/?katarina porn hub sites similiar free twink teen porn how often do girls watch porn young asian porn clips porn star horny

jonathanfj69
01-29-2022, 10:17 AM
Browse over 500 000 of the best porn galleries, daily updated collectionshttp://sexyfamilyphotogeneralsantos.sexjanet.com/?alexa shay johnson porn tape free hot young teen force porn hardcore porn couples ekny ayes porn clips black devils porn

jonathanfj69
01-29-2022, 10:24 AM
Browse over 500 000 of the best porn galleries, daily updated collectionshttp://pornpicsearchtrichinopoly.energysexy.com/?jennifer free homemade webcam porn laura croft porn teacher student porn homework brittney spears fuck video porn porn star in miami