PDA

View Full Version : Shutting Down Sparky: Utes v. Sun Devils 2014

LA Ute
01-20-2014, 01:49 PM
History vs. ASU

The Utes lead the all-time series with Arizona State, 27-19 and have split their regular-season meetings the last two seasons with the home team winning each time.

In fact, the teams have split the last 10 meetings after Utah won seven in a row from 1976-1981. The Utes have not won in Tempe since 1992 and the last four meetings here have been decided by a total of 10 points.

The Utes will have to find someone to replace Jason Washburn who averaged 22.5 points, 13.5 rebounds and 3.0 blocks in the two meetings last season. Jordan Loveridge averaged 11.0 points and 8.5 rebounds per game for Utah

Can someone come up with a thread title for the Arizona game?

SeattleUte
01-20-2014, 01:56 PM
Can someone come up with a thread title for the Arizona game?

The Utes Went Down to Tempe, They Were Looking for a Game to Steal

Diehard Ute
01-20-2014, 03:32 PM
The Utes Went Down to Tempe, They Were Looking for a Game to Steal

Arizona is in Tucson....

sancho
01-20-2014, 03:38 PM
Arizona is in Tucson....

We're talking ASU, right? Thursday's game. Thus the devil reference.

Diehard Ute
01-20-2014, 03:40 PM
We're talking ASU, right? Thursday's game. Thus the devil reference.

He replied to LA Utes question regarding a thread title for the "Arizona" game

LA Ute
01-20-2014, 04:44 PM
He replied to LA Utes question regarding a thread title for the "Arizona" game

Yes. Tucson is pretty hellish on its own so I simply edited SU's title a bit and went with it.

LA Ute
01-21-2014, 11:00 AM
From Phil Cullen's e-mail this morning:

Last week's sweep of the LA schools was a great achievement for our program. Our win against UCLA was a combination of great defense that led to our early offense. The Bruins had only been held under 1 point per possession three other times coming into our game. Their opponents in those games were, Missouri, Duke and Arizona which all ended in losses. We were able to hold them to just 0.93 points per possession.

We will be leaving for our Arizona road swing tomorrow and have already begun preparation for Arizona State. ASU is led by point guard Jahii Carson who is a top 5 guard in the Pac-12 averaging 15 points per game. Jahii is an extremely talented guard who has quickness that we have not seen all year. The Devils added a senior transfer from Penn State in the off season who is leading the team in scoring in conference play with 16 points per game. 7’2” Center Jordan Bachynski is leading the country in blocked shots at 4.5 per game and is the older brother of Utah Center Dallin Bachynski.

As a team, Arizona State has shown more man to man defense than the match up zone that they have played in the past. Offensively they look to get easy baskets in transition much like the rest of the league. Carson is at his best when he has ball in hand and is making plays for himself and others. Transition defense and more importantly matching up in transition could be the key to the game along with rebounding.

Game time is set for Thursday at 7 pm Mountain Time and will be shown on the Pac-12 Network.

On Sunday we will be playing the #1 team in the country Arizona and they deserve that ranking. They are undefeated this year and have been outscoring their opponents by an average of 18 points per game. They are ranked in the top 5 in total defense and are holding opponents to just 41% from the field. They have a balanced offensive attack and are a complete team. See the stats (http://email.jumpforwardemail.com/wf/click?upn=4Gl3jowIu-2FT1gqArk0Z7Sow06NBU-2F8Vl2xc-2B1k-2B7QoZmGKnCGfdQnv-2FzTXf6rkLEYB1kjCrVpeAYSRt-2BNfrMrSfa-2Bf5IxKvm8pnVvTs7bC2d61kWF6l-2B6EOZtB0ndx8yZqnTiFvMHsYcG38TgV011uHxV4i-2F-2BNCPG1i-2BAYkQUvf7MQA3Bl07ySwOlh6bN8Xn_JpavFYnoLTX47CpO-2FXOabzjYqG6h2ymjArNh36QzXJZDcMBAuxEsJTakaHJarCcXg 9Wzk5CuDj1TASQNn-2F5FS-2FvP3hVGjS9EygZ1L-2F-2FVqMmM9va3ywPRJvekRMnIuUnaOJ4EJHohO7jcXfOE9Nb27Wj EVXASw9zqFq3INPGMK4iPX-2Bo9nLwMqTAmA4S7d6mUFTC0NKPdS-2Fb9S-2BR3GxhKVCEGB-2FKGWOfxYLhqiaC2wqgzKDrOXdDLjN5JDeBSAoQ3h8ovcSefjN PL-2BJgt-2BykJLJWRRngBLdln-2FcEIdAv-2BVp8-3D) for more information.

Game time is at 6 pm Mountain Time and will be shown nationally on FoxSport1.

Our staff would like to thank you once again for your support this past week. Coach has been telling our team to remain “Humble and Hungry”. Hoping to bring an appetite to Arizona!

Utah
01-21-2014, 11:10 AM
I really like the fact that ASU plays more man than zone. Keep that up ASU. Please, keep that up.

Rocker Ute
01-21-2014, 01:09 PM
From Phil Cullen's e-mail this morning:

After reading that from Phil Cullen, maybe SoCalPat's speculation about putting all the eggs in one basket for ASU knowing AZ is a sure loss is right ;).

I don't know why, but I am really excited about this week's games. I really do see the ASU game as the game we break the dam for road wins.

LA Ute
01-23-2014, 07:49 AM
Utah basketball: Dallin Bachynski excited for another battle with his brother as Utes visit ASU

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865594678/Utah-basketball-Dallin-Bachynski-excited-for-another-battle-with-his-brother-as-Utes-visit-ASU.html

UBlender
01-23-2014, 08:07 AM
I remember last year's game at ASU, another heartbreaking loss. I also remember Dallin, who had already been going downhill for several weeks, getting in against his brother and seeming incredibly frustrated. It wasn't the beginning of his struggles but it did seem like a milestone where his problems really intensified. Hopefully he will stay relaxed and just go play his game tonight--he's been playing very well lately.

roseparkutes
01-23-2014, 02:51 PM
the utes need to get a road win

DrumNFeather
01-23-2014, 06:18 PM
the utes need to get a road win

Especially given the two that are coming after this one.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

chrisrenrut
01-23-2014, 08:28 PM
No gamecast on ESPN for the game tonight?!?

stuck doing other things and can't watch. Score is close, how we doing otherwise?

LA Ute
01-23-2014, 08:31 PM
No gamecast on ESPN for the game tonight?!?

stuck doing other things and can't watch. Score is close, how we doing otherwise?

Led by nine late in the 1st but now down by 4 with 11:00 to go. Shooting has really cooled off.

LA Ute
01-23-2014, 09:01 PM
These refs sure let a lot of contact go.

LA Ute
01-23-2014, 09:05 PM
Sigh. They just got outplayed, plain and simple.

DrumNFeather
01-23-2014, 09:23 PM
Sigh. They just got outplayed, plain and simple.

Yeah, this is a team we probably beat by 10 in SLC. We are going to need to steal one somewhere to get back to .500 in conf.

Also, Herb looks so different I thought they were coached by Randy Bennett.

Speaking of coaches, Larry wasn't pulling a Brad Stevens and lecturing Herb during the post game handshake was he?

LA Ute
01-23-2014, 10:06 PM
About the longer-than-usual chat between Kodiak and Sendek at the end of the game, Tony Jones tweets:

So Larry Krystkowiak and Herb Sendek had a long discussion after the game

When asked, Krystkowiak said the talk wasn't contentious. Said he wanted Sendek to know something about his team

Moles tell me one of the Arizona State players said something to Krystkowiak in the waning moments of regulation

Krystkowiak made it a point to let everyone know that he and Sendek get a long great. No ill will between the two coaches

https://twitter.com/Tjonessltrib/status/426572371655282689

SeattleUte
01-24-2014, 10:07 AM
Yeah, this is a team we probably beat by 10 in SLC. We are going to need to steal one somewhere to get back to .500 in conf.

Speaking of coaches, Larry wasn't pulling a Brad Stevens and lecturing Herb during the post game handshake was he?

We finally shot well on the road but it seems our defense broke down. We need to put together a great road game on both ends of the court.

U-Ute
01-24-2014, 11:18 AM
We finally shot well on the road but it seems our defense broke down. We need to put together a great road game on both ends of the court.

The lack of any inside production really hurt us. The scouting report is out on JO to sit on his left hand in the paint. Jordan Bachynski really frustrated everyone else.

Give credit to ASU. They hit some tough shots down the stretch and we didn't.

LA Ute
01-24-2014, 11:30 AM
Look at the box score:

75 points
47% FG
38% from 3-point range
2 players with 20+ points, 2 others close to double figures

That should be a win. But ASU collectively shot a little better. This is a young team, and I think they'll win games like this next season. Youth and experience are the only reasons I can figure out for the team falling apart in the final minutes of the half or the game. There's only one senior on this team and he didn't even play last night. Nine members of the team are playing at Utah for the first time this season. It's good to keep all that in mind.

Still, they should've won.

UTEopia
01-24-2014, 11:52 AM
Look at the box score:

75 points
47% FG
38% from 3-point range
2 players with 20+ points, 2 others close to double figures

That should be a win. But ASU collectively shot a little better. This is a young team, and I think they'll win games like this next season. Youth and experience are the only reasons I can figure out for the team falling apart in the final minutes of the half or the game. There's only one senior on this team and he didn't even play last night. Nine members of the team are playing at Utah for the first time this season. It's good to keep all that in mind.

Still, they should've won.

I don't understand why you would say that this is a game the Utes "should've won." ASU shot better and played better defense. The Utes played well and could have won the game, but this isn't a game where the Utes clearly have better talent than the opposing team and lost. The talent level between the two teams is roughly equal and they were playing at home. Much like the UW game, this was a game we could have won, but IMO not a game we should have won. WSU is another story. That is a team that we should have beaten on the road but did not play aggressively enough to get it done.

Scratch
01-24-2014, 12:05 PM
Youth and experience are the only reasons I can figure out for the team falling apart in the final minutes of the half or the game. There's only one senior on this team and he didn't even play last night. Nine members of the team are playing at Utah for the first time this season. It's good to keep all that in mind.

I didn't think they fell apart at the end of the game. They had given up the lead much earlier than that and scrapped and fought at the end but just couldn't get back over the hump. I didn't think their play suffered down the stretch, they just didn't have enough over the course of the game to top ASU.

sancho
01-24-2014, 12:11 PM
I didn't think they fell apart at the end of the game. They had given up the lead much earlier than that and scrapped and fought at the end but just couldn't get back over the hump. I didn't think their play suffered down the stretch, they just didn't have enough over the course of the game to top ASU.

I agree, but Delon's turnover, the botched defensive rebound, and the back-to-back layups for Carson in the closing minutes were all pretty frustrating.

concerned
01-24-2014, 12:16 PM
I agree, but Delon's turnover, the botched defensive rebound, and the back-to-back layups for Carson in the closing minutes were all pretty frustrating.

Ogbe's missed layup, Bach's failure to make a makeable putback, and Taylor's turnover, too. (and the offensive charge agst Delon on Bach's brother).

LA Ute
01-24-2014, 03:10 PM
I don't understand why you would say that this is a game the Utes "should've won." ASU shot better and played better defense. The Utes played well and could have won the game, but this isn't a game where the Utes clearly have better talent than the opposing team and lost. The talent level between the two teams is roughly equal and they were playing at home. Much like the UW game, this was a game we could have won, but IMO not a game we should have won. WSU is another story. That is a team that we should have beaten on the road but did not play aggressively enough to get it done.

That was just my way of making it clear I don't see this as any kind of moral victory (no one here does, that I can see). My point is that I think this group will get better at having the killer instinct that doesn't allow weird slip-ups in crunch time, or allow a 9-point lead with 1:00 to go in the half to become -- what was it? 3 or 4 points? -- at halftime.

U-Ute
01-24-2014, 05:21 PM
That was just my way of making it clear I don't see this as any kind of moral victory (no one here does, that I can see). My point is that I think this group will get better at having the killer instinct that doesn't allow weird slip-ups in crunch time, or allow a 9-point lead with 1:00 to go in the half to become -- what was it? 3 or 4 points? -- at halftime.

I agree. I think this team is going to be pretty good next year.

Provided Marko can learn how to set screens. His are terrible.

LA Ute
02-20-2014, 04:32 PM
Phil Cullen's e-mail today:

Sunday afternoon we will be recognizing our military, our serviceman and our servicewomen. We are part of a great country built on the sacrifices of so many brave and courageous men and women. We want to honor those individuals and their families who have served and are currently serving, protecting and defending our way of life.

We have a community here at the University of Utah that I am very proud to be a part of. At each home game during the National Anthem as we are lined up for the National Anthem, I cant help but notice the crowd. There are some of you with hands over your hearts, some with hands down by your side and then there are a few of you who stand at attention with a military salute. I do not know your stories but I have a feeling that the National Anthem means a little bit more to you. I cant help but say a prayer of thanks and a blessing over you and your families.

It is a privilege and an honor to be part of this basketball program and the University of Utah. On behalf of our players and staff we thank you for your service.

Looking ahead to Arizona State. Arizona State is 19-7 on the year and will be looking to overcome a loss last night to Colorado. They are led by pg Jahii Carson at 18.4 ppg and Jermain Marshall at 16.2 ppg. Inside they have 7'2" Jordan Bachynski, brother of Ute Dallin Bachynski, who is leading the country in blocked shots and is averaging 11.3 ppg. The Sun Devils are slated as a tournament team right now and have a ranking of #27 in the country.

Last nights crowd was spectacular against Arizona with 14,200 in attendance. Our guys battled from a 9-point first half deficit to take the game to overtime. The loss is not easy to overcome but we are able to use the experience to learn. We appreciate the support and hope to see you Sunday at 6pm.

The Men's Basketball Staff

U-Ute
02-20-2014, 04:34 PM
With how well Dallin and Jordan have been playing lately, the paint could be a painful place to live.

SoCalPat
02-20-2014, 05:50 PM
With how well Dallin and Jordan have been playing lately, the paint could be a painful place to live.

I'd love to see both get hit up with a double foul. That would be funny. Shades of the backyard.

LA Ute
02-22-2014, 08:07 PM
Does anyone want one or all of my 4 excellent tickets to the ASU game tomorrow night? If so, please PM me.

EDIT: Tickets are gone.

LA Ute
02-23-2014, 11:28 AM
I wonder what Kodiak will try to do about Jahii Carson? Just defend him straight up and try to take away ASU's other weapons (like he did with Kyle Anderson in Salt Lake), or try something like a triangle and 2?

sancho
02-23-2014, 03:16 PM
I wonder what Kodiak will try to do about Jahii Carson? Just defend him straight up and try to take away ASU's other weapons (like he did with Kyle Anderson in Salt Lake), or try something like a triangle and 2?

In the games I've seen, Marshall is nearly as dangerous as Carson.

LA Ute
02-23-2014, 04:03 PM
In the games I've seen, Marshall is nearly as dangerous as Carson.

I was just remembering that in the first game he pretty much drove to the hoop at will. Will that happen again? What will LK and the gang do to stop him? Or will they just try to minimize the damage from both him and Marshall?

OrangeUte
02-23-2014, 06:10 PM
Huge dunk by wright!

OrangeUte
02-23-2014, 06:14 PM
ESPNU is not in HD on Dish.

LA Ute
02-23-2014, 06:14 PM
ESPNU is not in HD on Dish.

Nope.

Solon
02-23-2014, 06:16 PM
Nope.

Ugh. ESPN skipped the first 4 minutes to show FSU shooting free throws vs. Pitt.

OrangeUte
02-23-2014, 06:18 PM
Why the Freedom on the back of the jerseys?

sancho
02-23-2014, 06:18 PM
Ugh. ESPN skipped the first 4 minutes to show FSU shooting free throws vs. Pitt.

Yes. I had to watch it through Tony Jones Twitter feed.something about blocks and dunks.

LA Ute
02-23-2014, 06:20 PM
Did I just see a Delon Wright pull-up jumper?

LA Ute
02-23-2014, 06:21 PM
Yes. I had to watch it through Tony Jones Twitter feed.something about blocks and dunks.

Oddly enough, we were able to see the first few minutes on ESPNews. It's still on both channels on Dish.

OrangeUte
02-23-2014, 06:23 PM
Asu is as cold as we are hot.

LA Ute
02-23-2014, 06:26 PM
Asu is as cold as we are hot.

Wow. That last shot by Lenz proves your point. Everything we are throwing up is going in.

LA Ute
02-23-2014, 06:27 PM
I know SoCalPat is at the game in person. This cannot be a coincidence. He needs to attend more games.

DrumNFeather
02-23-2014, 06:31 PM
We would gain so much momentum, IMO, with a blowout here.

sancho
02-23-2014, 06:36 PM
Is this real? Mercedes Lenz?

OrangeUte
02-23-2014, 06:37 PM
Whoa. What a lead right out of the gate.

Solon
02-23-2014, 06:48 PM
Whoa. What a lead right out of the gate.

I'm sure ASU will heat up & the Utes will cool down, but I hope the Utes can maintain a comfortable lead, build some confidence, maybe experiment with some rotations, etc.
Kind of fun to see a big 1st-half lead vs a worthy conference opponent.

LA Ute
02-23-2014, 06:54 PM
I'm sure ASU will heat up & the Utes will cool down, but I hope the Utes can maintain a comfortable lead, build some confidence, maybe experiment with some rotations, etc.

Also a chance to show themselves they can keep the pedal to the metal when they are 'way ahead.

DrumNFeather
I forgot that Stan Johnson was on ASU's staff.

OrangeUte

I think so too. They're showing some signs of hearing up.

LA Ute
02-23-2014, 06:56 PM
Always enjoy seeing Kuzma standing there with the team during a game.

LA Ute
02-23-2014, 06:58 PM
Wow. Didn't see this one coming. But I'm loving it.

sancho
02-23-2014, 06:59 PM
Delon with double digits, 6 boards, and 5 assists. Is this the triple double we've been waiting for?

Solon
02-23-2014, 07:02 PM
Delon with double digits, 6 boards, and 5 assists. Is this the triple double we've been waiting for?

talking-heads at halftime saying ASU doesn't want to be there.

Well, they don't want to be there now.

sancho
02-23-2014, 07:03 PM
Remember Thursday morning when we were wondering how the team would respond to such an emotional, tough loss?

LA Ute
02-23-2014, 07:36 PM
Hate to say it, but I'm nervous even with an 18-point lead. j-Love missing that layup and now the 11-4 ASU run give me the willies. We're not attacking any more.

LA Ute
02-23-2014, 07:51 PM
Hate to say it, but I'm nervous even with an 18-point lead. j-Love missing that layup and now the 11-4 ASU run give me the willies. We're not attacking any more.

OK, we are shutting the door now. I might just relax now.

OrangeUte
02-23-2014, 07:52 PM
This is a good team. So much better than I think most of us expected. Haven't figured out how to win close games but they are in every game they play.

sancho
02-23-2014, 07:53 PM
OK, we are shutting the door now. I might just relax now.

Yes, I'm thinking Xan should get a little bit of time at the end here.

LA Ute
02-23-2014, 08:01 PM
Is this their most complete game of the season?

Solon
02-23-2014, 08:08 PM
Is this their most complete game of the season?

Well, that was decisive.

OrangeUte
02-23-2014, 09:20 PM
I feel much more confident about the cal and Stanford road trip coming up.

Rocker Ute
02-23-2014, 09:35 PM
Signature win for the Utes and Kodiak tonight.

Rocker Ute
02-23-2014, 09:38 PM

He didn't get it or even quite get the double-double but did you see where they showed the most stat lines for a few of the other 'complete' guys in the PAC 12 (points, rebounds, assists and steals)? Delon stacked up well with any of them, and in points and steals was better than all of them I believe.

The emergence of Onwas has been great too... we're a legit NCAA team next year.

DrumNFeather
02-24-2014, 06:55 AM

I'll give myself like a half swish on this one...

Applejack
02-24-2014, 07:04 AM
He didn't get it or even quite get the double-double but did you see where they showed the most stat lines for a few of the other 'complete' guys in the PAC 12 (points, rebounds, assists and steals)? Delon stacked up well with any of them, and in points and steals was better than all of them I believe.

The emergence of Onwas has been great too... we're a legit NCAA team next year.

I'm really warming up to Onwas. Having him in the starting five makes so much sense - I don't know why it took so long to get him there (I didn't think of it either). He gives you great D, hustle, and toughness to start a game. Lenz is also much better as the lead bench scorer.

sancho
02-24-2014, 07:20 AM
I'm really warming up to Onwas. Having him in the starting five makes so much sense - I don't know why it took so long to get him there (I didn't think of it either). He gives you great D, hustle, and toughness to start a game. Lenz is also much better as the lead bench scorer.

Onwas has improved a lot this season. I wish he could hit FTs.

We go 10 deep. How many good teams have a legitimate 10 man rotation?

I love that we were able to take advantage of the Sun Devils when JBach went out with foul trouble.

Diehard Ute
02-24-2014, 07:27 AM
Onwas said this is the first time in his life he's struggled with free throws. He said he's feeling more comfortable and he thinks it will get back to where he was.

Diehard Ute
02-24-2014, 07:28 AM
I love that we were able to take advantage of the Sun Devils when JBach went out with foul trouble.

Agreed...although he amazingly wasn't whistled for a third foul

No clue how Taylor fouls out and JBach never gets a third foul in the last 30+ minutes

LA Ute
02-24-2014, 08:07 AM
As I have posted several times, I have been worried about our team's ability to keep other teams' guards out of the keyhole. Carson in particular was deadly against us last time. But lo and behold, this time we had rim protection. Surprisingly, it seems to have come as much from our guard line as from our big men. Carson and Big Bach had nine points between them. Awesome.

SoCalPat
02-24-2014, 08:56 AM
Good game, great seats (thanks again LA) and enough entertaining plays on the floor to keep my oldest engaged. He's 12. We had a good talk on the way home about the kind of game we'd go to next, and why scheduling is so important. I had to really stress to him that ASU was a good team, that we played great and had a lot of things go our way, and when that happens you can get blowouts.

My youngest was into doing everything the jumbotron told him to do -- make noise, get loud, flash the U when we shot free throws, etc. His efforts were rewarded during the "Flex Cam" jumbotron segment. He's 7. I wish we had more 7-year-olds (or their mentality) when it comes to games, because our atmosphere flat-out blows. Now I love basketball and so do my boys, so we can compensate, but I can see why attendance is not what it was when I was in school. Yes, the Sunday game didn't help, but there are a host of other reasons why. That's for another thread.

I wish we could've saved a few plays from tonight for use in more competitive games. The ball really bounced well our way vs. ASU. We also played great, which means we got the result we deserved and never sweated at all in this game. Couple of instances in which you knew it was "our night."

Renan Lenz. Nuf said. And on both ends of the floor.

Once on an out-of-bounds play, we ended up with Lenz guarding Carson at the top of the key. There's one mismatch right there, and likely a second somewhere else on the floor. ASU has to settle for a perimeter shot and misses.

Another time, we didn't get a great shot deep in the clock, but we got a fortuitous bounce, JLove got the rebound and ASU bailed him out as he was putting up a shot that had no chance of going in, giving us two FTs.

Some more game thoughts:

Good to see JLove get semi-untracked late, although having Chris Reyes in the house should be Exhibit A that this coaching staff sees JLove as a No. 3 or 4 option going forward instead of 1-2. I would strongly recommend looking up what Reyes is doing at Citrus College. If he signs with us, he's our starting 4 next year. His numbers suggest his game is similar to Andre Roberson's -- the CU 4 who destroyed us the last two years in the league.

I'm seeing a few more wrinkles out of our offense that I hadn't seen before (granted, I've watched less of the Utes than most fans on this board), but if we're gonna have Taylor as the initiator of the offense, I like having Delon run the baseline and in the corners.

I am completely baffled as to why we had 3/5 of our starting lineup in the game with 3 minutes to go and up 25 points. It actually was 4/5, but Taylor fouled out. Not only that, but ASU had Marshall and Carson out of the game as well. They had waved the white flag. Delon had one play where he came down awkwardly on one leg and hopped on his ankle. Nothing came of it, but I had visions of Marty Johnson and Indiana in 2002. Sancho says we go 10 deep, but I think the only person who doesn't recognize that is Larry. And what are his assistants saying to him? Nothing? Are they being ignored? Are they not cognizant of this? We got lucky last night, but those are the kinds of boneheaded mistakes that can ruin seasons if you're even the slightest bit unlucky.

U-Ute
02-24-2014, 09:00 AM

Hahah... I was nervous too. I remember telling my kids that the first 5 minutes of the second half were key. If they got it down to 15, I thought we may be in trouble of collapsing. I still don't trust this team with a lead. They tend to worry about screwing up the lead rather than winning the game.

Fortunately, it was still hovering around 20 and stayed there.

U-Ute
02-24-2014, 09:03 AM
Signature win for the Utes and Kodiak tonight.

U-Ute
02-24-2014, 09:04 AM
Agreed...although he amazingly wasn't whistled for a third foul

No clue how Taylor fouls out and JBach never gets a third foul in the last 30+ minutes

Jahii Carson is how.

sancho
02-24-2014, 09:05 AM
We got lucky last night, but those are the kinds of boneheaded mistakes that can ruin seasons if you're even the slightest bit unlucky.

Plus, those walk ons work hard too. They deserve some time in a game like this.

My assumption was that Larry wanted the regulars to get as much work as possible against the ASU press. The devils did not let up in that regard. They pressed the entire 2nd half, though they didn't actually create turnovers until the last few minutes of the game. I am guessing that Larry was mad at those late turnovers and wanted the team to beat that press. But then again...he also rarely pulled the starters in any of the early season blowouts.

U-Ute
02-24-2014, 09:07 AM
I am completely baffled as to why we had 3/5 of our starting lineup in the game with 3 minutes to go and up 25 points. It actually was 4/5, but Taylor fouled out. Not only that, but ASU had Marshall and Carson out of the game as well. They had waved the white flag. Delon had one play where he came down awkwardly on one leg and hopped on his ankle. Nothing came of it, but I had visions of Marty Johnson and Indiana in 2002. Sancho says we go 10 deep, but I think the only person who doesn't recognize that is Larry. And what are his assistants saying to him? Nothing? Are they being ignored? Are they not cognizant of this? We got lucky last night, but those are the kinds of boneheaded mistakes that can ruin seasons if you're even the slightest bit unlucky.

Because these guys need practice finishing out games.

ASU pulled their stars but were still using the game as a teaching moment by pressing. I suspect Larry was doing the same thing.

LA Ute
02-24-2014, 09:10 AM

ASU pulled their stars but were still using the game as a teaching moment by pressing. I suspect Larry was doing the same thing.

Maybe someone can tweet that question to Riley during tonight's coach's show.

SoCalPat
02-24-2014, 09:40 AM

You want a team to stop pressing? Attack it for 94 feet and make them pay with layups. We didn't do that.

As for finishing out games, was there a 20-point lead we blew that resulted in a loss this year? We haven't done that.

Even if my questions have different answers, and/or we did attack with layups or we did lose a game after blowing a huge lead, the risks involved so far outweigh any perceived benefits that it just isn't worth it. We've also got our coach on record wondering if our extended use of Delon has been a factor in him slipping up late in close games.

U-Ute
02-24-2014, 09:46 AM
You want a team to stop pressing? Attack it for 94 feet and make them pay with layups. We didn't do that.

That was so frustrating to me. There were 2 or 3 times that it looked like we had 2- and 3-on-1 opportunities that we didn't take advantage of after beating the press. I guess I should be thankful that they were at least breaking the press on a semi-regular basis. We could've done what we did against UCLA and turn the ball over a bunch of times in a row.

As for finishing out games, was there a 20-point lead we blew that resulted in a loss this year? We haven't done that.

Not yet. But this team seems to have the capability.

LA Ute
02-24-2014, 09:53 AM
That was so frustrating to me. There were 2 or 3 times that it looked like we had 2- and 3-on-1 opportunities that we didn't take advantage of after beating the press. I guess I should be thankful that they were at least breaking the press on a semi-regular basis. We could've done what we did against UCLA and turn the ball over a bunch of times in a row.

Yeah, they had me yelling at the TV about that too. We did burn ASU a time or two, but not as often as we could have. On at least two possessions, I think, ASU had a 3-man trap on a single Ute ballhandler -- on our side of the court -- and we made nothing out of that.

SoCalPat
02-24-2014, 09:56 AM
Plus, those walk ons work hard too. They deserve some time in a game like this.

I could not agree more. It doesn't even have to go that far. Put Fields and Ogbe in the backcourt and let's see how they respond. It certainly was good enough down 11 against Arizona -- don't see why it's not good enough up 25 against ASU.

SoCalPat
02-24-2014, 10:00 AM
Yeah, they had me yelling at the TV about that too. We did burn ASU a time or two, but not as often as we could have. On at least two possessions, I think, ASU had a 3-man trap on a single Ute ballhandler -- on our side of the court -- and we made nothing out of that.

Dang -- wish I could remember how the play turned out, but ASU once sent THREE players at Brandon Taylor near mid-court. That's a 4-on-2 for us.

The book is out on Utah in this regard. You can press with impunity against Utah with a deficit because we won't consistently attack. ASU's problem last night was that it waited to do so until it had dug itself too big of a hole. If I'm playing against Utah, as soon as I fall behind by 10-12 points, I press.

jrj84105
02-24-2014, 10:06 AM
I thought we had called off the dogs and were just playing to end the game at this point.

311ute
02-24-2014, 11:20 AM
Quick question for you SoCalPat...was this the first home game you've attended this year?

I've attended every home game but one this year (couldn't make it to the St. Katherine's game), and last night's atmosphere was by far the weakest of the Pac 12 games. Chalk it up to being a Sunday game. I've been going to games my whole life, and this year the atmosphere has been the best since the early 2000's. The Oregon and Arizona games were especially great. Even the USC (blackout) game which had the lowest (paid) attendance of the conference games at 9.2K was loud and energetic.

Now if by "atmosphere" you're talking entertainment/half-time show type stuff and not crowd involvement/loudness, then ok. I don't pay attention to that stuff too much, and you might be right.

But there's something to be said for a 20% increase in attendance this year, and I think the overall atmosphere at bball games has been the best in over a decade. By the way, we're 2nd in attendance in the Pac 12 this year, and we'll end up with the highest season attendance since the 05-06 season.

Utah season attendance averages since the 1989-90 season:

10,221*

*one more game to go (currently averaging 12,187 for Pac-12 home games)

LA Ute
02-24-2014, 12:00 PM
Dang -- wish I could remember how the play turned out, but ASU once sent THREE players at Brandon Taylor near mid-court. That's a 4-on-2 for us.

The book is out on Utah in this regard. You can press with impunity against Utah with a deficit because we won't consistently attack. ASU's problem last night was that it waited to do so until it had dug itself too big of a hole. If I'm playing against Utah, as soon as I fall behind by 10-12 points, I press.

I'm afraid you're right. (BTW, the play you're talking about is the one that had me yelling at the TV: "Come on! Burn them! Don't let them get away with that!") Any opponent who's seen the film of last night's ASU game alone is crazy not to at least try pressing us.

sancho
02-24-2014, 12:07 PM
Any opponent who's seen the film of last night's ASU game alone is crazy not to at least try pressing us.

They don't need last night's film. The UCLA film is enough.

Up 20+, I have no problem just letting the clock run instead of pushing a numbers advantage. Up less though, you better know how to push a 4-on-2.

SoCalPat
02-24-2014, 01:18 PM
Quick question for you SoCalPat...was this the first home game you've attended this year?

I was at the Oregon game, or at least the second half (Dummy me thought game was at 6:30 and I didn't account for rush-hour traffic in my commute from Twin Falls) and the energy for that game was great. For obvious reasons. Last night was a downer on the atmosphere meter for reasons we couldn't control (Sunday start and the less-than-competitive nature of the game), but I can live with that.

My recent game history is such: OSU in Larry's first year, UNM in Jimmy's last year, plus the two games this year. Our pre-game intros are beyond vanilla (EDIT: We got rid of those fog machines. Those were embarrassing). I haven't been to a BYU game, but I've seen online what they do pregame. BYU is more UNLV with its pregame, and we're more like what people think BYU would be like. That's a problem. It's a bigger problem when you consider we're in an NBA town, and the NBA is king with building atmosphere within its buildings.

This will get some fans upset, but I don't care. Our ushers should be given the tools and authority to be empowered and pro-active in moving people to better seats. Not that it has affected me at all -- my seats for all the games mentioned here were great, thanks largely to generous Utah fans. I wasn't looking for something better. But there's no reason anyone should have sat in the upper bowl last night. Recognize that your facility is too big for the times and do your part to make the game experience better for fans on nights we only have 8,500 people in the building.

As a father of three, 12, 10 and 7, having kids on the floor during introductions appealed to my parental instincts, but intros should be about the players. A good intro gets them fired up, gets the fans fired up and gets the other side thinking. Design something post-game for kids if you must (and they might still do this -- I left last night with 2 minutes to go and didn't pay attention after Oregon. It was something they allowed in my undergrad days), but leave the floor for the players during intros.

Now, you've moved people down and given them better seats. Good. Now give them a fighting chance with the promotions. I counted three last night. Not enough. And stop being lazy and throwing stuff from the floor. Go climb some stairs, or have people on the floor and circling the top half of the lower bowl. That kind of involvement carries over, not just in that particular game, but in giving people the feeling and urge to come back to future games.

One thing we did a good job of was recognizing our visiting dignitaries (Jerry Sloan, Steve Smith, Johnnie Bryant). And we've got some good cameramen who get good reaction on the jumbotron. But there's so much more we can do to make the JHC a happening place on gameday. We cannot simply rely on the product on the floor to do that.

U-Ute
02-24-2014, 01:38 PM
They don't need last night's film. The UCLA film is enough.

Up 20+, I have no problem just letting the clock run instead of pushing a numbers advantage. Up less though, you better know how to push a 4-on-2.

All the ASU film will confirm is that we still have a tendency to throw cross court Hail Mary's to get it into the front court. *pucker*

Rocker Ute
02-24-2014, 02:21 PM
...there's so much more we can do to make the JHC a happening place on gameday. We cannot simply rely on the product on the floor to do that...

They phoned in non-game entertainment for years at the JMHC... things are light years ahead of where they were if you can believe it.

A couple of things though that are much better, and why I think the atmosphere at the JMHC has been the best it has been since even Majerus's last years.

1. The student section has been great this year... for big games they've been there 30 minutes early, packed and loud. Boylen's vision is finally being realized as they DO have an impact on the opposing bench. When I was a student and for as long as I can remember the student section was almost always half full.

2. I've sat in the grey-hair section my entire life and it was the capitol of telling people to sit down. At the AZ game we were probably on our feet well over half of the game and people were LOUD. The place was absolutely rocking the whole time. My guess is that a lot of what you saw was because the stadium was half-empty. But the environment was electric and it has been for much of the season this year, particularly PAC-12 play.

I'd say that the JMHC when those two conditions exist is a very tough place to play. I have endured every season except the last half of Boylen's last season where I simply couldn't watch any more. I have sat through some awful, awful games. There has been a core of us of about 3-4000 who have stuck through this whole thing and gone to games and I'd say that is the core of the fan base and it has never been healthier.

We produce an NCAA tournament caliber team next year (by which I mean a sure bet to get in) and I think that tickets to basketball will become as hard to come by as tickets to football games are/were.

LA Ute
02-24-2014, 02:48 PM
All the ASU film will confirm is that we still have a tendency to throw cross court Hail Mary's to get it into the front court. *pucker*

All season long I've harped on passing. The long or lazy passes violate so many fundamentals that we teach kids in rec league basketball. J-Love has been one of the chief offenders. Against UCLA it almost cost us and I thought that would be the end of it. But it persists.

Rocker Ute
02-24-2014, 03:16 PM
Has anyone stopped to consider that maybe the cause of Jordan Loveridge's slump is that there has been a critical mass reached of adult males calling him 'J-Love'?

LA Ute
02-24-2014, 03:26 PM
Has anyone stopped to consider that maybe the cause of Jordan Loveridge's slump is that there has been a critical mass reached of adult males calling him 'J-Love'?

I had not stopped to consider that, but now I have.

Rocker Ute
02-24-2014, 03:35 PM
I had not stopped to consider that, but now I have.

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. Last night my dad called him J-Love and it occurred to me how strange it seemed to me.

SoCalPat
02-24-2014, 04:26 PM
I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. Last night my dad called him J-Love and it occurred to me how strange it seemed to me.

Well, we sure the hell ain't gonna shorten it and call him J-Lo.

SoCalPat
02-24-2014, 04:47 PM
More stuff you can do to make the environment better: I love the band, but there are appropriate times for canned music. Know them, embrace them and use them. It sounded like we tried playing something at the center jump, but I could barely hear it. But whatever canned music you use, it must have a purpose and meaning. Whoever does it has a list and he sticks to it, and doesn't go all Radio DJ on us. I've got my ideas, but at risk of sounding cheesy, I'm keeping them in my back pocket.

It's not original to stand and give the slow hand clap until (take your pick) your team scores or the other team scores. It's unique if we bring in the drum we use to start the fourth quarter of football games and use that, thereby giving fans the option to stand and clap. Eventually, most will. My question is obviously around the size of the drum. If not, then make a JV-sized one.

Applejack
02-24-2014, 05:37 PM
Well, we sure the hell ain't gonna shorten it and call him J-Lo.

I prefer J-Lover

Diehard Ute
02-24-2014, 06:14 PM
More stuff you can do to make the environment better: I love the band, but there are appropriate times for canned music. Know them, embrace them and use them. It sounded like we tried playing something at the center jump, but I could barely hear it. But whatever canned music you use, it must have a purpose and meaning. Whoever does it has a list and he sticks to it, and doesn't go all Radio DJ on us. I've got my ideas, but at risk of sounding cheesy, I'm keeping them in my back pocket.

It's not original to stand and give the slow hand clap until (take your pick) your team scores or the other team scores. It's unique if we bring in the drum we use to start the fourth quarter of football games and use that, thereby giving fans the option to stand and clap. Eventually, most will. My question is obviously around the size of the drum. If not, then make a JV-sized one.

Are you meaning before the game or during play?

The drum can't be used during play.

SoCalPat
02-24-2014, 06:41 PM
Are you meaning before the game or during play?

The drum can't be used during play.

I get that noisemakers used by fans are prohibited, but I would contend that the drum is different. It also would not be used all game long.

Rules are rules, but limited research brought up only noisemakers used by fans.

Diehard Ute
02-24-2014, 06:50 PM
I get that noisemakers used by fans are prohibited, but I would contend that the drum is different. It also would not be used all game long.

Rules are rules, but limited research brought up only noisemakers used by fans.

Piped in music and the band aren't allowed to play during play, I don't see how the drum would be any different

UBlender
02-24-2014, 10:52 PM
[QUOTE=SoCalPat;32261
This will get some fans upset, but I don't care. Our ushers should be given the tools and authority to be empowered and pro-active in moving people to better seats. Not that it has affected me at all -- my seats for all the games mentioned here were great, thanks largely to generous Utah fans. I wasn't looking for something better. But there's no reason anyone should have sat in the upper bowl last night. Recognize that your facility is too big for the times and do your part to make the game experience better for fans on nights we only have 8,500 people in the building.
[/QUOTE]

True story: Utah vs Texas St in December. I buy my 5 year old an upper bowl ticket and then get stopped by a 117-year old usher as I try to bring him to sit with a large block of family season tickets, even though the entire row is empty except for my family. (Now I am smarter, sneakier and more agile than your average 117-year old usher so I managed to get us all together in the lower bowl anyway, but it still pissed me the hell off). Crap like that will make people want to either leave the kids at home or, worse yet, the adults stay home too to watch it on TV with the kid (since almost every game is televised now, anyway). Way to nurture the fanbase and foster family traditions. I never would have become such a freak about the Utes if not for my parents buying an upper bowl ticket and bringing me along to watch the games when I was a kid.

Surely, we can figure out the line between encouraging fans to be engaged on nights with light attendance vs enabling fans to exploit empty seats for premium games. It's not that complicated.

End rant.

U-Ute
02-25-2014, 09:52 AM
I prefer J-Lover

And this is why you're no longer allowed to be within 500' of him.

Applejack
02-25-2014, 10:32 AM
And this is why you're no longer allowed to be within 500' of him.

I'm hardly a stalker. More like a treasured friend who hopes to one day see a statue of Mr. Loveridge outside the Hunty.